Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist
    IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,176

    Default 20 levels! added to a Risia upgraded item... wow do I feel appreciated

    A former ML8 item now completely useless with an ML of TWENTY EIGHT.

    An ML8 Superior Glaciation 8 Major Ice lore item that had Risia Cold touch added for flavor (to make it frosty looking natch) became an ML28, cold touch of 15% ice lore and 84 cold Spell power.

    So before I drag it out of my inventory to delete it let me tell you what that item was selling for, and how much it cost to build back then: 11,000 winter motes, which took a crazy long time to farm, on a character that DIDN'T have wings OR abudant step, and this is BEFORE everyone figured out the Ship Mast, and the mid air instance change. Which sold for 10,000,000 yes that's right ten million plat (1000 Motes at the time sold for 1mil plat). On Thelanis market forums during those days you could easilly sell one of these for 10mil, in fact there were more people trying to buy them than there were sellers.

    Again, for the record Dev's: Players hate feeling like the time they spent playing the game is being p***ed on by you. When you make needless changes that steamroll over players hard won items, and time consuming grinds, when your changes are released with all the forethought and carelessness of releasing a bull in a china shop, people leave. No I wont leave over a single item. But I had upwards of two Mules filled with Risia upgraded stuff, fully half of that was from the first year. All of which is being pulled out of inventory to delete it. I wont leave over those items... I will however ignore all future events, as a waste of time, that will be deliberately ruined by Turbine as some point in the future.

    You basically carped on three months worth of game play (Winter had three returns of Risia and Summer risia that year), it's no wonder the game is dieing, if you've been playing DDO for a while you come to expect that your play time will be obviated by poorly thought out changes and wildly unpredictable terrible design swings from one poll to the other.

    Indeed DDO's design team has no appearent direction or focus... One minute they are making changes to Secret Doors for flavor, the next they a deleting all the new "composed" affixes that had much flavor, that were only introduced ONE YEAR AGO from the loot tables. and replacing them with something from an ASCII graphics Rogue-like spreadsheet game from 1988. "Solar IV, Solar V, Solar VI" Solar yawn.

    One day you take "2d6 out in favor of 2-12, the next you're putting ROMAN NUMERALS into affixes and making it impossible to tell from the weapon name what you're looking at. One minute you're adding new enhancements that give power for 6 seconds with a 120 second cool down, that stacks on a vorpal, with stacks expiring every 2 seconds; the next you're making ghostbane drop on every 3rd random loot weapon because "new players can't deal with undead". One moment you're trying to capture casuals, the next you're putting in counter based abilities, short duration clickies and stacking "steamrollers" and other complex interacting abilities that require a math degree to figure out if they're worth using or not.

    Sorry this turned into a generalized rant, but the fact is this former "fanboy" sees a wandering and thoughtless direction the game seems to be pulling in two different direction, trying to please two different markets, trying to hit two targets with the same bullet and squarely missing down the middle.

    You may comence with your valiant defenses.

    Oh and be sure to accuse me of exploiting and getting what I deserve because I put COLD TOUCH 1 cold damage on a weapon that would never be swung.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Meh item is garbage anyway

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    A former ML8 item now completely useless with an ML of TWENTY EIGHT.

    An ML8 Superior Glaciation 8 Major Ice lore item that had Risia Cold touch added for flavor (to make it frosty looking natch) became an ML28, cold touch of 15% ice lore and 84 cold Spell power.

    So before I drag it out of my inventory to delete it let me tell you what that item was selling for, and how much it cost to build back then: 11,000 winter motes, which took a crazy long time to farm, on a character that DIDN'T have wings OR abudant step, and this is BEFORE everyone figured out the Ship Mast, and the mid air instance change. Which sold for 10,000,000 yes that's right ten million plat (1000 Motes at the time sold for 1mil plat). On Thelanis market forums during those days you could easilly sell one of these for 10mil, in fact there were more people trying to buy them than there were sellers.

    Again, for the record Dev's: Players hate feeling like the time they spent playing the game is being p***ed on by you. When you make needless changes that steamroll over players hard won items, and time consuming grinds, when your changes are released with all the forethought and carelessness of releasing a bull in a china shop, people leave. No I wont leave over a single item. But I had upwards of two Mules filled with Risia upgraded stuff, fully half of that was from the first year. All of which is being pulled out of inventory to delete it. I wont leave over those items... I will however ignore all future events, as a waste of time, that will be deliberately ruined by Turbine as some point in the future.

    You basically carped on three months worth of game play (Winter had three returns of Risia and Summer risia that year), it's no wonder the game is dieing, if you've been playing DDO for a while you come to expect that your play time will be obviated by poorly thought out changes and wildly unpredictable terrible design swings from one poll to the other.

    Indeed DDO's design team has no appearent direction or focus... One minute they are making changes to Secret Doors for flavor, the next they a deleting all the new "composed" affixes that had much flavor, that were only introduced ONE YEAR AGO from the loot tables. and replacing them with something from an ASCII graphics Rogue-like spreadsheet game from 1988. "Solar IV, Solar V, Solar VI" Solar yawn.

    One day you take "2d6 out in favor of 2-12, the next you're putting ROMAN NUMERALS into affixes and making it impossible to tell from the weapon name what you're looking at. One minute you're adding new enhancements that give power for 6 seconds with a 120 second cool down, that stacks on a vorpal, with stacks expiring every 2 seconds; the next you're making ghostbane drop on every 3rd random loot weapon because "new players can't deal with undead". One moment you're trying to capture casuals, the next you're putting in counter based abilities, short duration clickies and stacking "steamrollers" and other complex interacting abilities that require a math degree to figure out if they're worth using or not.

    Sorry this turned into a generalized rant, but the fact is this former "fanboy" sees a wandering and thoughtless direction the game seems to be pulling in two different direction, trying to please two different markets, trying to hit two targets with the same bullet and squarely missing down the middle.

    You may comence with your valiant defenses.

    Oh and be sure to accuse me of exploiting and getting what I deserve because I put COLD TOUCH 1 cold damage on a weapon that would never be swung.
    I once made a ML 1 helmet back in the day and added the equivalent of 72 in glaciation on it. That was back when you could do it on items before Turbine felt that ice damage would not increase damage but spell power should.

    I recently checked and the ML is now increased to something that makes it worthless. No wonder I can't get in the mood to grind Risia and stuff. What's the point? Mabar is and will always be BTC, Crystal Cove is now introducing items that require a murderous amount of grind (the rum) with a timer that's set the same as other similar items (don't know why but Turbine felt it made sense). And I just can't get in the mood for Risia since that's bound to change at Turbines whim.

    These events are largely pointless because what you can put on them is severely limited and the ML is worse then if you'd pull a similar item during the new masterful concept on items.

    Here's my conclusion to the rants. Time to end Mabar, Crystal Cove and Risia. They're only there to add lag and frustration and the effects are so watered down that they pale in comparison to the new OP random loot.

  4. #4
    Community Member redspecter23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    I will definitely agree that Turbine lacks the ability to plan long term. By that I mean a year or more into the future. They spend countless hours on aspects of game design that are either completely removed or made completely useless only a year later when the next pet project comes to pass. Think of how many bugs could have been fixed or new levels added if they had the foresight to not waste time on all those weapon affixes last year only to remove them now. Think of what we could have had instead of the obsolete (except for the grandfathered) guild augments? How awesome could Cannith crafting have been if those that were designing it, knew that a bunch of people down the hall were going to make their work pointless by raising the cap 5 levels and adding a bunch of new affixes, which they would then just remove anyway in order to bring about the "weapon blandness of 2013".

    My point is that they really need to set their long term goals and design with them in mind so they don't waste their time and ours on pet projects and obsolete systems. Future proofing your game by understanding your long term goals should be basic game design knowledge.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

  5. #5
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,623

    Default

    If this is how they are going to reward people doing what they want and putting in the time grinding this stupid holiday, why should any player grind any holiday? You never know when sometime down the road all your effort is going to be flushed down the drain.

    Kind of a strange way to reward your customer: no carrot vs. stick, only stick vs. stick O.o

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Dont ever get rid of Mabar. DW pots>> any holiday items

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    If this is how they are going to reward people doing what they want and putting in the time grinding this stupid holiday, why should any player grind any holiday?
    The answer is that they shouldn't.

    This pattern repeats itself over and over with DDO and other MMOs as well. And the difference between seeing these changes as betrayals as opposed to mere annoyances is entirely a function of the grinding.

    Play for fun, not for gear, unless grinding for gear is what you find fun, in which case -- expect this sort of thing to happen, and grind something else for fun.

  8. #8
    Hero AZgreentea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Swamp
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Dosen't it fix the item if you upgrade it to the newer "Festival" version of the Risia item attribute, or did I imagine that post?

    I really hope so, because that means more plat in my pocket next time, by selling recipes.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

  9. #9
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist
    IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubbinns View Post
    Meh item is garbage anyway
    With all due respect I don't believe you know where spell power levels where at in the past, or for that matter even the present. ML8 is 54 spell power at best, with 12 or 13% crit chance from lore. A similar item right now would be a ML18 (84 power and 15% lore)

    If you think that having a casting stick that was 10 levels more powerful than normal is "garbage" then I have to assume you have no idea what you're talking about.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

  10. #10
    Community Member arminius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,949

    Default

    Nice rant!

    No really, I hardly ever like rants and barely comment anymore due to the sign-in mess, but I enjoyed reading this. I don't think it will solve anything, but it was a good read. Cheers!
    __________________
    Gwyneira : Cattari : Gorobei : Berylore : Zelphia : Aanouk : Beatriice : RobotMaria : Dalrymple : Nihill
    Captain's Crew : Fernia : Ghallanda

  11. #11
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist
    IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    Dosen't it fix the item if you upgrade it to the newer "Festival" version of the Risia item attribute, or did I imagine that post?

    I really hope so, because that means more plat in my pocket next time, by selling recipes.
    The new glaciation is worthless, they changed how it works last winter by giving less spell power to each recipe. They also changed how spell power works a few years back. This item used to be the max glaciation level possible in the game until they changed how spell power works... because... wait for it....

    "Superior glaciation IX was too confusing (as in "spell power" by "level of spell"), and our exit surveys show that new players don't like roman numerals" [paraphrasing]

    Of course a couple years later they are putting roman numerals back on loot...
    Last edited by IronClan; 09-05-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

  12. #12
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    A former ML8 item now completely useless with an ML of TWENTY EIGHT.

    An ML8 Superior Glaciation 8 Major Ice lore item that had Risia Cold touch added for flavor (to make it frosty looking natch) became an ML28, cold touch of 15% ice lore and 84 cold Spell power.

    So before I drag it out of my inventory to delete it let me tell you what that item was selling for, and how much it cost to build back then: 11,000 winter motes, which took a crazy long time to farm, on a character that DIDN'T have wings OR abudant step, and this is BEFORE everyone figured out the Ship Mast, and the mid air instance change. Which sold for 10,000,000 yes that's right ten million plat (1000 Motes at the time sold for 1mil plat). On Thelanis market forums during those days you could easilly sell one of these for 10mil, in fact there were more people trying to buy them than there were sellers.
    Your suffering is irrelevant. Someone at Turbine had some data somewhere that told them that you'd be happier in the game with this change.

    Congratulations!

  13. #13
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    This pattern repeats itself over and over with DDO and other MMOs as well. And the difference between seeing these changes as betrayals as opposed to mere annoyances is entirely a function of the grinding.
    Hm..."repeats itself over and over": I don't recall EVER before seeing the ML on a piece of gear jump 20 levels in DDO or any of the at least 10 MMOs I've played.

    We're not talking ML raising one or two levels which might happen occasionally, but 20 levels.

  14. #14
    Time Bandit & Hero SirShen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    A former ML8 item now completely useless with an ML of TWENTY EIGHT.

    An ML8 Superior Glaciation 8 Major Ice lore item that had Risia Cold touch added for flavor (to make it frosty looking natch) became an ML28, cold touch of 15% ice lore and 84 cold Spell power.

    So before I drag it out of my inventory to delete it let me tell you what that item was selling for, and how much it cost to build back then: 11,000 winter motes, which took a crazy long time to farm, on a character that DIDN'T have wings OR abudant step, and this is BEFORE everyone figured out the Ship Mast, and the mid air instance change. Which sold for 10,000,000 yes that's right ten million plat (1000 Motes at the time sold for 1mil plat). On Thelanis market forums during those days you could easilly sell one of these for 10mil, in fact there were more people trying to buy them than there were sellers.

    Again, for the record Dev's: Players hate feeling like the time they spent playing the game is being p***ed on by you. When you make needless changes that steamroll over players hard won items, and time consuming grinds, when your changes are released with all the forethought and carelessness of releasing a bull in a china shop, people leave. No I wont leave over a single item. But I had upwards of two Mules filled with Risia upgraded stuff, fully half of that was from the first year. All of which is being pulled out of inventory to delete it. I wont leave over those items... I will however ignore all future events, as a waste of time, that will be deliberately ruined by Turbine as some point in the future.

    You basically carped on three months worth of game play (Winter had three returns of Risia and Summer risia that year), it's no wonder the game is dieing, if you've been playing DDO for a while you come to expect that your play time will be obviated by poorly thought out changes and wildly unpredictable terrible design swings from one poll to the other.

    Indeed DDO's design team has no appearent direction or focus... One minute they are making changes to Secret Doors for flavor, the next they a deleting all the new "composed" affixes that had much flavor, that were only introduced ONE YEAR AGO from the loot tables. and replacing them with something from an ASCII graphics Rogue-like spreadsheet game from 1988. "Solar IV, Solar V, Solar VI" Solar yawn.

    One day you take "2d6 out in favor of 2-12, the next you're putting ROMAN NUMERALS into affixes and making it impossible to tell from the weapon name what you're looking at. One minute you're adding new enhancements that give power for 6 seconds with a 120 second cool down, that stacks on a vorpal, with stacks expiring every 2 seconds; the next you're making ghostbane drop on every 3rd random loot weapon because "new players can't deal with undead". One moment you're trying to capture casuals, the next you're putting in counter based abilities, short duration clickies and stacking "steamrollers" and other complex interacting abilities that require a math degree to figure out if they're worth using or not.

    Sorry this turned into a generalized rant, but the fact is this former "fanboy" sees a wandering and thoughtless direction the game seems to be pulling in two different direction, trying to please two different markets, trying to hit two targets with the same bullet and squarely missing down the middle.

    You may comence with your valiant defenses.

    Oh and be sure to accuse me of exploiting and getting what I deserve because I put COLD TOUCH 1 cold damage on a weapon that would never be swung.
    I would decon it or sell it, the devs will do nothing about it, see this post https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5056515 also see this post https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5065857

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    With all due respect I don't believe you know where spell power levels where at in the past, or for that matter even the present. ML8 is 54 spell power at best, with 12 or 13% crit chance from lore. A similar item right now would be a ML18 (84 power and 15% lore)

    If you think that having a casting stick that was 10 levels more powerful than normal is "garbage" then I have to assume you have no idea what you're talking about.
    I was kinda making it ssem worse so you would feel better. And yeah still the item is meh, 20 more spell power and 2-3% crit is not even noticable at lv 8s .

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    Dosen't it fix the item if you upgrade it to the newer "Festival" version of the Risia item attribute, or did I imagine that post?

    I really hope so, because that means more plat in my pocket next time, by selling recipes.
    See also limitation on what you can put it on.

    Again - they broke it and instead of fixing it they go through the motion of giving us the lag fest anyways.

  17. #17
    Community Member Bilger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,792

    Default

    Every MMO does this not just DDO. They introduce items down the road that make those uber items you have junk. It keeps people grinding and playing to get the new better stuff that will be junk in a year compared to some more new stuff.

    I expect it from every MMO I have played and never been disappointed (I have played a lot of them for sure).
    Proud Officer of The Madborn

  18. #18
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Indeed DDO's design team has no appearent direction or focus...
    Not to sound "hipster" but I have been saying this since last year.

    But I am glad to see the number of people realizing this growing.

  19. #19
    Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,034

    Default 10,000,000? I tried to sell them on Ghallanda and Cannith for 1,000,000

    The most I got was 800,000 plat.

    I guess I should have done my jumping on Thelanis where plat must either flow freely or else everyone did the Cove KNOCK Wand for a bazillion plat.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

    Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

  20. #20
    Community Member Bilger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    The most I got was 800,000 plat.

    I guess I should have done my jumping on Thelanis where plat must either flow freely or else everyone did the Cove KNOCK Wand for a bazillion plat.
    NM reread post he did say plat and they never went for that much if did theres a sucker I would like to meet!!
    Last edited by Bilger; 09-05-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    Proud Officer of The Madborn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload