Alright, so I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of negativity about this build, but I still wish to share it with everyone. Typically, arcane melees are a difficult thing to do, but with the new enhancement system I have found this build can not only melee well, but I have found I can somewhat tank red names in at level quests (ran a servants of the overlord on elite at level 18 and tanked the two red names while waiting for the party to ddoor out).
How is this possible? Well, I'm going to explain that, and it all begins with the palemaster prestige. Recently, with the release of the new enhancement pass, the palemaster got an enhancement that improved the undead shrouds. the improved wraith form granted 35% incorporeal miss chance instead of the previous 25% miss chance. Now, we already know we have the displacement spell, which grants a 50% miss chance that stacks with the wraith form miss chance. So then, how do we improve on this? Well, by maxing out dodge of course. To this end, monk levels are the greatest option. Giving you a +3% to maximum dodge chance, this allows you to gain a 28% dodge chance if you aim for it. In addition, you can now get master earth stance along with fist of iron for some really nice melee crits and a bit of PRR. Now, let's add this all in:
- 35% miss chance from wraith, so 65% hit chance from mobs.
- 50% miss chance / hit chance from displacement OR 20% miss chance / 80% hit chance from blur
- 28% dodge chance / 72% hit chance due to dodge.
Now, we multiply all the hit chances together to get these numbers
Displaced: .5 * .65 * .72 = 0.234, or about a 23% chance to be hit
Blurred: .65 * .72 * .8 = 0.3744, or about a 37% chance to be hit
Now, that doesn't even take in to account if you can get a meaningful armor class. On top of that, we obtain 27 prr with just master earth stance, for a 15.45% reduction from physical attacks. To top this off, you should always have a death aura up during a fight, whether a lesser or normal one, allowing you to regain health that has been lost due to damage. One thing I want to note is that this build was crafted from the lr+20 released during the launch of the enhancement system. I do not know how it will play out at earlier levels since I did not play through them. This is also not the exact build I am playing with on Xenmonk of Thelanis, feats have been moved around to a more optimal order. In addition, I am not sure what level order I took on Xenmonk, but the leveling order presented here is the one I would use if I was leveling from 1 to 20 with this build. Anyway, without further delay, the build:
Half-elf/Human Wizard 12 Monk 6 Fighter 2
Note: Human would probably be a better choice then half elf, as half elf doesn't add much. Human gives a feat and extra skill points. However, as Xenmonk was originally a helf I had to keep helf as the race.
Strength: 16 + 2 tome + 5 heroic level ups + 2 epic level ups
Dex: 15 + 2 tome (must total 17, so if one has +3 or +4 tomes they should adjust accordingly)
Con: 16 + 2 tome
Int: 15 + 3 tome
Wis: 8 + 3 tome
Cha: 8 + 2 tome
Note: the only tome absolutely needed is a dex tome of at least +2 value. This is in order to reach a dex of 17 for itwf and gtwf.
For 34 point builds: reduce dex or int by 1 (remember to make sure one acquires a 17 dex with base + tomes)
For 32 point builds: reduce int and con by 1 each.
Leveling order: 1 wizard, 2 monk, 3-8 wizard, 9 monk, 10-14 wizard, 15-18 monk, 19-20 fighter
Skills: max concentration, spellcraft, and heal. 1 rank in tumble at level 1, 10 points in jump. Put some points in balance, though you don't have to max it out. The remaining points can be placed where you want, I would recommend spot, listen, or umd.
1: Power attack, Maximize(w), Cleave(human), rogue dilletante(helf)
3: past life disciple of the fist for those with monk past life, otherwise if helf take cleave, not sure if human
6: precision, quicken(w)
9: cleave or great cleave (depending on whether or not you've taken cleave already), dodge(m)
12: itwf, extend(w)
15: improved crit: bludgeoning, path of inevitable dominion: fist of darkness(monk path, can take fist of life if desired)
18: master of forms, mobility(m)
20: great cleave (if one does not have great cleave yet) or spring attack/feat of your choice
(Note: some of the enhancements have been changed since these images were taken. Refer to the list below for my updated enhancment list.)
Shroud of the Zombie/Vampire/Wraith (all 3 forms)
Deathless Vigor 3
Negative Energy Conduit 3
Spell Critical: Negative energ 1/2/3/4 (the whole line)
Efficient Maximize 3
Bone Armor 3
Bastion of Purity
Deft Strikes 3
Reed in the wind 3
Iron Skin 3
Fists of iron
Protection from tainted creatures
Sneak Attack Training
Total spent: 69
This might change once I obtain fighter levels at 19 and 20. Once I obtain fighter levels I will probably attempt to take improved dodge and agility from the kensei prestige (dropping agility and sneak attack training from ninja spy). Will also attempt to grab Weapon group specialization and haste from kensei. Looking at Stalwart Defender, the only thing I might look to pick up is Threatening Countenance, as I am finding it difficult at times to hold aggro.
I know one of the other builders on this forum could probably churn out something far more spectacular then what I have here. However, I wished to share my build in order to get advice, constructive criticism, and get other people's thoughts on this build. Any thoughts, advice, and tips are very much appreciated.