Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What caused the service outage during the holiday?

DDO was unavailable for the better part of 24 hours over the holiday weekend. A response from Turbine is overdue:

1. Has the problem been fixed so it won't happen again? Unexplained downtime is not a retention strategy. Communicate with your customers.

2. What compensation is forthcoming for VIP/veteran customers?
    Kobeyashi | Hamada | Ying

Its ddo, anything can happen.

If you follow the service news thread, dev tracker, twitter, or facebook pages you would see that they have responded and answered. It's also been addressed in many threads in the forums.

Long story short, it's the same routing issue that caused the last couple outages (one of which lasted 2-3 days). It is a network provider twice removed from Turbine that is at fault. Neither Turbine nor there own provider is to blame, they just get stuck making difficult manual work-arounds.

They didn't break it, so they can't fix it or offer you any compensation.

Obviously they are sorry for the situation, but other than offer a bonus xp/loot weekend (again for something not their fault) there is not much else they can do.

Community Member

Turbine select their partners. Turbine is at fault for selecting their partners badly.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldgolem View Post
    Turbine select their partners. Turbine is at fault for selecting their partners badly.
    Then, by that logic, wouldn't it be your fault for choosing this game?

lol. OK, except that this is a network provider two or three times removed from Turbine (supposedly). Yes, I also find it a bit hard to believe that a network provider two or three times removed would cause a global blackout of Turbine's service. However, that's their story and they're sticking to it, which means they did not choose that partner.

Community Member

^^

After the second time, they should have dropped them or at least asked for a guarantee that it would not happen again...they are a business that requires a consistent ISP to survive.

As far as compensation...we pay Turbine for a service as VIPs...same as Turbine pays the ISP for service...you don't think Turbine is looking for compensation? Heck this is approaching a legal matter for them after the 3rd time.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    After the second time, they should have dropped them or at least asked for a guarantee that it would not happen again...they are a business that requires a consistent ISP to survive.
    How do you drop a service provider that you are not partnered with?

It's like if you use AT&T for your service provider, and due to a problem with Comcast routers you could not access some of your favorite sites, how do you drop Comcast? You can't, because you are not a customer.

Community Member

When I do a deal, the people who buy from me want to know the dependencies in my business. They want to know who my providers are and who their providers are. If they are not happy with the provider chain I use for my services, they will not buy MY services

Because the end customer will not care where in the chain the fault lies, only that they pay money to someone who is not delivering

I know this stuff happens, but it happens too regularly on big days. The contingency plans seems to be: have no plan but make our devs panic on a holiday to fix things. I think the turbine devs did a great job to get things up and running in such a short time period, but that higher level business decisions and deals constantly trip them up

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    How do you drop a service provider that you are not partnered with?

It's like if you use AT&T for your service provider, and due to a problem with Comcast routers you could not access some of your favorite sites, how do you drop Comcast? You can't, because you are not a customer.
    Actually, reverse those two. AT&T is a backbone provider. Usually, the backbone provider has a monopoly on the infrastructure in a given area. That means EVERY ISP in that area uses that backbone. If the backbone provider has an issue, EVERY ISP in that area has an issue. This is also why in some areas it is difficult to get redundant circuits because, when it all boils down, there is still a single point of failure. So, in the example, dump Comcast and go with Windstream and you still are using AT&T backbone.

If Internap is having a Verizon issue, Turbine's option is basically to find another Datacenter to use that doesn't use Verizon. Folks will really gripe about downtime then.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    ^^

As far as compensation...we pay Turbine for a service as VIPs...same as Turbine pays the ISP for service...you don't think Turbine is looking for compensation? Heck this is approaching a legal matter for them after the 3rd time.
    The most it should be for any VIP is .50 a day and most will pay less

Beware the Sleepeater

I seriously doubt that even if Turbine gave us an Excuse for the Outage we'd believe it - Well there'd be conspiracy theories all over the place!

As for Compensation...
    They could very easily stick a 500TP Code {only Usable on Adventure Packs/Guest Passes} in the Inventory of the Next Logged In Character of Every Non-VIP. {Or Mailbox if Inventory is an Issue}.

VIPs could get a Double Bonus TP Month.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    I seriously doubt that even if Turbine gave us an Excuse for the Outage we'd believe it - Well there'd be conspiracy theories all over the place!

As for Compensation...
    They could very easily stick a 500TP Code {only Usable on Adventure Packs/Guest Passes} in the Inventory of the Next Logged In Character of Every Non-VIP. {Or Mailbox if Inventory is an Issue}.

VIPs could get a Double Bonus TP Month.
    500 tp for 2 days is a bit much

Beware the Sleepeater

So, if im driving my car to the store and the store is across a river and the only bridge in town gives out and falls into the river. There is no other way to get to the store I wanted to go to.

Why would I blame the store ?

I would be blaming whomever responsible for maintaining the bridge.

The internet is no different.
    Member of Mythical

Founder

If you follow the service news thread, dev tracker, twitter, or facebook pages you would see that they have responded and answered. It's also been addressed in many threads in the forums.

Long story short, it's the same routing issue that caused the last couple outages (one of which lasted 2-3 days). It is a network provider twice removed from Turbine that is at fault. Neither Turbine nor there own provider is to blame, they just get stuck making difficult manual work-arounds.

They didn't break it, so they can't fix it or offer you any compensation.

Obviously they are sorry for the situation, but other than offer a bonus xp/loot weekend (again for something not their fault) there is not much else they can do.
    Yea, I heard something like that, but I don't understand it. I have never lost my internet connection for 2-3 days in the past 10 years no matter which service provider I'm using. If there is such a crappy provider out there, why is any other provider connected with them at all?

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Yea, I heard something like that, but I don't understand it. I have never lost my internet connection for 2-3 days in the past 10 years no matter which service provider I'm using. If there is such a crappy provider out there, why is any other provider connected with them at all?
    Off topic, but I actually did lose my Internet (along with several thousand other customers in the SE US) last year for about 3 days. I don't remember the cause, but yeah it sucked. They ended up reimbursing us for the three days and tacking on a $20 credit or something. I'd rather they kept the $20 and not had the down time, but not much else could be done I guess. Stuff breaks, weather happens, people make mistakes, etc. Plus, the provider I used before these guys were o better. I never had a long outage like that, but rather several times a year I would lose connectivity for a couple hours or 45 minutes at a time.

Smile

Admit it they forgot to pay the internet bill, was late and got shut off it happens to us all.

Off topic, but I actually did lose my Internet (along with several thousand other customers in the SE US) last year for about 3 days. I don't remember the cause, but yeah it sucked. They ended up reimbursing us for the three days and tacking on a $20 credit or something. I'd rather they kept the $20 and not had the down time, but not much else could be done I guess. Stuff breaks, weather happens, people make mistakes, etc. Plus, the provider I used before these guys were o better. I never had a long outage like that, but rather several times a year I would lose connectivity for a couple hours or 45 minutes at a time.
    Let me guess: Your previous provider was Mediacom?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    Let me guess: Your previous provider was Mediacom?
    Currently AT&T, previous to that was Comcast. Not sure if they fall under the Mediacom umbrella?

Founder

Oh I understand that stuff happens. I just don't understand how, barring natural disaster, they stay down for 2-3 days after stuff happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast