Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Smile

Admit it they forgot to pay the internet bill, was late and got shut off it happens to us all.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    If you ordered something from a company, and they ship it via UPS or whatever, but then a blizzard shuts down roads in the path, how is that the fault of the company? That is kind of an analogy of what happened here.
    Well I guess that is the unanswered bit of this: was it something like a blizzard (act of god situation) or was it something that could have been dealt with (the delivery company just screwed up)

Turbine has said its act of god type stuff but given no details

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    I am all for social media, but there's no replacement for forums (or email).
    Here is why they recommend watching Facebook/Twitter when stuff like this happens:

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    FYI: We apologize for the late notification of the forums, but until recently we have been unable to log into our admin accounts on the forums because of the issues being experienced. This same issue currently prevents us from updating the launcher as well.

Since our ability to keep people informed through the forums may be impacted, please make sure to get the latest information on Facebook and Twitter. No account or sign-up is required in order to view these messages. Thanks!

Off topic, but I actually did lose my Internet (along with several thousand other customers in the SE US) last year for about 3 days. I don't remember the cause, but yeah it sucked. They ended up reimbursing us for the three days and tacking on a $20 credit or something. I'd rather they kept the $20 and not had the down time, but not much else could be done I guess. Stuff breaks, weather happens, people make mistakes, etc. Plus, the provider I used before these guys were o better. I never had a long outage like that, but rather several times a year I would lose connectivity for a couple hours or 45 minutes at a time.
    Let me guess: Your previous provider was Mediacom?

Founder

Off topic, but I actually did lose my Internet (along with several thousand other customers in the SE US) last year for about 3 days. I don't remember the cause, but yeah it sucked. They ended up reimbursing us for the three days and tacking on a $20 credit or something. I'd rather they kept the $20 and not had the down time, but not much else could be done I guess. Stuff breaks, weather happens, people make mistakes, etc. Plus, the provider I used before these guys were o better. I never had a long outage like that, but rather several times a year I would lose connectivity for a couple hours or 45 minutes at a time.
    Oh I understand that stuff happens. I just don't understand how, barring natural disaster, they stay down for 2-3 days after stuff happens.

Whatever it was, I'm just happy I was quite busy being at PAX.
    Pity DDO wasn't.

And I did try Infinate Crisis.... watered down LoL w/ Superheros didn't appeal to any of my family - and the Batman masks looked more like the Donny Darko bunny. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    Let me guess: Your previous provider was Mediacom?
    Currently AT&T, previous to that was Comcast. Not sure if they fall under the Mediacom umbrella?

Currently AT&T, previous to that was Comcast. Not sure if they fall under the Mediacom umbrella?
    Probably not. Mediacom serves Iowa, rural SW Wisconsin, some of rural MN, and probably into KS, NE, etc. When I lived in SW Wisconsin, they were my service provider and their service was abysmal. Multiple times a day, every day, for two years, the Internet (and sometimes the TV service) would just fail. It could be down anywhere from 30s to 10m or more. Usually, it was 30s to 2m and you could almost set your watch by it. Multiple calls to report it and it was never fixed. Now, I'm back to being a Charter customer and am much happier (though all Motorola DVR's apparently suck in all the same ways now).

Default LOTRO had an explination. We Didn't......

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...19#post6897619

The only part of the whole thing that bothered me is the lack of actual information at any point from the DDO team, other than "It's broke, and were trying to get 3rd party vendors to fix it". Sapience seems to of being doing everything he/she could for the LOTRO forums, sadly we don't seem to of been offered the same level of courtesy
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

I'm sure it's company policy not to throw any current vendor or provider under the proverbial bus. If you do that, you'll rapidly find yourself out in the cold, as not many others will want to work with you.

If you have an inside source at Turbine, you may be able to get the skinny, but most likely no official communication will blame anyone by name.

Now, that being said, the lack of information provided to DDO users compared to that given to LotRO users was awful, and could have been handled soooo much better!

Vast & Mysterious since '06!

Community Member

How do you drop a service provider that you are not partnered with?

It's like if you use AT&T for your service provider, and due to a problem with Comcast routers you could not access some of your favorite sites, how do you drop Comcast? You can't, because you are not a customer.
    Actually, reverse those two. AT&T is a backbone provider. Usually, the backbone provider has a monopoly on the infrastructure in a given area. That means EVERY ISP in that area uses that backbone. If the backbone provider has an issue, EVERY ISP in that area has an issue. This is also why in some areas it is difficult to get redundant circuits because, when it all boils down, there is still a single point of failure. So, in the example, dump Comcast and go with Windstream and you still are using AT&T backbone.

If Internap is having a Verizon issue, Turbine's option is basically to find another Datacenter to use that doesn't use Verizon. Folks will really gripe about downtime then.

Community Manager

People have been linking to Sapience's lengthy explanation over on the LOTRO forums, so I didn't really feel the need to repeat it here, but perhaps it's worth doing so now that a few days have passed. Here's a summary:

The outages over the weekend were caused by a combination of a routing issue with one of the large Internet backbone providers along with the way that traffic is routed into and out of our data center provider's facilities. The issue created a cascading effect when the routes were reset that did not play well with some of the hardware in the data center. We worked overnight with our vendors to check each step of the connection from our service through the various vendor services we use, and once everything checked out, we reopened the game worlds.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Well, thanks for that, Cordovan. I appreciate it because I had never seen a link to Sapience's posts from the LOTRO forums on these forums. I have just enough time in the day to keep up with a few threads and, with the way that one exploded, I did not have time to keep up with all the posts in that thread. Furthermore, as someone who has no interest at all in LOTR (I really do not care for Tolkien's world), why would you expect me to spend time searching those forums for information (especially given how non-functional the search is on these forums)?

People have been linking to Sapience's lengthy explanation over on the LOTRO forums, so I didn't really feel the need to repeat it here, but perhaps it's worth doing so now that a few days have passed. Here's a summary:

The outages over the weekend were caused by a combination of a routing issue with one of the large Internet backbone providers along with the way that traffic is routed into and out of our data center provider's facilities. The issue created a cascading effect when the routes were reset that did not play well with some of the hardware in the data center. We worked overnight with our vendors to check each step of the connection from our service through the various vendor services we use, and once everything checked out, we reopened the game worlds.
    I hope you guys are building an extensive database of the procedures because this issue doesn't seem to go away anytime soon. Sucks when it happens during the weekends tho.

Good work getting stuff up and running.

People have been linking to Sapience's lengthy explanation over on the LOTRO forums, so I didn't really feel the need to repeat it here.
    Yet another terrible response. Totally illogical. The info was posted on some other game website, so it didn't bear repeating? But now that it's old news you're happy to tell? Is there a gas leak in here? It's your JOB to pass on relevant information to us, not rely on someone else to repost info from some other game. Wake up dude.

Community Member

If you ordered something from a company, and they ship it via UPS or whatever, but then a blizzard shuts down roads in the path, how is that the fault of the company? That is kind of an analogy of what happened here.

Theboz's analogy isn't accurate for this situation.

Your analogy is better, though. When I want to ship something, I pay UPS/Fedex to ship the package. If I paid for the next-day-air service and a blizzard prevented the package getting delivered the next day, then they didn't provide the service I paid for. It's irrelevant whose fault it is that the package didn't get delivered on-time -- it is their responsibility to ensure the package gets delivered on-time. In this case I would (and actually did) get a refund. When I got the refund, I wasn't hassled at all. They took the tracking number, checked that it didn't arrive next-day as I paid for, and gave me a refund. This is a reasonable response from UPS/Fedex.

Another analogy is if you pay for a daily maid service to clean your place. If the bridge gets knocked down and prevents the maid from getting to your place, it's not the maid's fault. But, then again, that's irrelevant. It is their responsibility to clean your place everyday and on that day the paid-for service wasn't provided. Usually this would get compensated for by extending the service by another day. Extending the service for another day is a reasonable response.

Notice in these examples the companies aren't directly at fault for causing missed service. However, it doesn't matter because the service they were paid to do wasn't done.

As a VIP, I pay Turbine to play DDO. This is another service that's paid for. For 1-2 days, the service wasn't available. It's irrelevant how/why the service was unavailable and also irrelevant whose fault it is. At a minimum, I would expect Turbine to compensate VIPs by extending their subscription by the amount of time the service was unavailable. I consider this a reasonable response. I do not consider reasonable most of the suggestions posted on the forums, including free Otto's box/stone, 1000 TP, etc.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Yet another terrible response. Totally illogical. The info was posted on some other game website, so it didn't bear repeating? But now that it's old news you're happy to tell? Is there a gas leak in here? It's your JOB to pass on relevant information to us, not rely on someone else to repost info from some other game. Wake up dude.
    More that the info was posted here dozens of times by folks who discovered it over there and immediately brought it over here. They worked faster than me, and since the cause was being widely distributed, and came from an official Turbine voice, it seemed unnecessary to copy/paste it here myself.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by golruul View Post
    As a VIP, I pay Turbine to play DDO. This is another service that's paid for. For 1-2 days, the service wasn't available. It's irrelevant how/why the service was unavailable and also irrelevant whose fault it is. At a minimum, I would expect Turbine to compensate VIPs by extending their subscription by the amount of time the service was unavailable. I consider this a reasonable response.
    While that is a good customer service gesture, it is by no means contractually required. The DDO terms of service that you agreed to includes the fact that the game will be out of service at times because of things like this.

Also, for perspective, the average VIP subscriber is paying $10/month (some $15, some $8). For that average $10/month person, a 1.5 day outage is 50 cents worth of service. I'd offer you a roll of pennies as compensation but my country just removed pennies from circulation.

I don't buy it that this is out of Turbine's control. Big players don't have the same 'take it or leave it' contracts us peons get. You would think a multi million dollar company could get these issues figured out. One of the biggest weekends of the year means more people playing which means more money spent - or in this case NOT spent. I'll bet the board of directors is upset - they should be.

More that the info was posted here dozens of times by folks who discovered it over there and immediately brought it over here. They worked faster than me, and since the cause was being widely distributed, and came from an official Turbine voice, it seemed unnecessary to copy/paste it here myself.
    Incorrect. It did NOT come from an official Turbine source. It was quite literally hearsay. If the Sapience had come here in an official capacity, then yes, but that's not how it went down. It may have SEEMED unnecessary to copy/paste, and in fact a mere copy/paste would have added to your error. Your responsibility was to get the relevant info from the source, in the same way that Sapience did, and pass it on to us in a timely way. If there is a breakdown in comms on Turbine's end which prevented you from acquiring this info, then that's a hole that needs to be sewn up; also your responsibility. Whatever thought process went on on your end to make it OK to ignore that responsibility is irrelevant.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast