Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

No doubt evasion is a good tool in reducing REFLEX based damage. However, more valuable then evasion is a good REFLEX save.

Poor reflex with evasion, the evasion is wasted - There are better places to spend the feat...
    Good reflex with evasion - You will have few times where you take full damage
    Excellent reflex with evasion - Reflex damage, what reflex damage?

If however, your saves are so good that you are constantly only taking 1/2 or less in damage and your ability to self heal through it makes it so that you can laugh it off, it is possible that evasion is not the best investment.

One advantage that those without evasion have is that they have an opportunity to learn how to mitigate the damage and utilize these other tools that help them by improving their reflex saves and managing the damage that they do take.

My advice is to never plan a build with evasion without planning how you are going to make their reflex sound. If not able to access evasion for a build make sure that you manage your reflex and other tools to minimize the effects of REFLEX damage.

Evasion for a wizard is like BBQ sauce on dry chicken.

Magical chicken.

Community Member

Evasion is "elemental absorption". You take less elemental damage. Less, not nothing. Your Ref saves may be low, you roll 1 and some elemental spells don't have that "reflex save for half".

Its not required, but its damn nice. Not required, because its not the only way to lower elemental damage. Damn nice, because it works on all elements vs item that effects only one, etc ...

Evasion is not so great vs traps, because Elite traps have sky high DC and if you fail save, they hit so hard your dead. On normal/hard traps don't hit much, so as long as you didn't dumped your CON, you can just absorb damage.

If you build for Evasion, it works like magic. But it ain't cheap. Must have great Ref saves, must splash 2 levels of rogue/monk. Its a bit cheaper for warrior like builds, but for casters its very expansive. Fighter18/Rogue2 is not that much weaker then pure Fighter (or maybe even better), but pure Wizard is a better caster then Wiz18/Rog2. I had that. Difference is visible.

Me:
    - had Wiz/Rog, because I wanted skills. Traps, locks, UMD. Evasion is a nice bonus.
    - I like more versatile warriors. So I like Ranger more then barbarian.
    - my char with Cleric icon is War Priest. A couple of Monk levels made more sense the a couple of Fighter levels.
    - Sorcerer? Neh. Pure or its not really Sorcerer.

Oh, and my rule since very long is "Capstone or Evasion".

Quick answer? Evasion is just a nice little toy to have.
    Long answer? Improved evasion is absolutely beast and worth building for. It's essentially 50% damage reduction against all spells with a reflex save (which is quite a few).

Community Member

Right now I am experimenting with a stalwart fighter/mechanic rogue, maintaining equal levels in each.

Reason? I like wearing heavy armor and bashing people with tower shields and cleaving with my weapon, but at the same time traps and locked chests just **** me off, and I like the mechanic traps. So I max open, disable, search, and spot, and ignore other rogue skills.

It was a conscious decision to ignore evasion in favor of heavy armor. Of course, I have only been playing on normal and hard, and occasionally drag a cleric along when things get too hot, but so far I am doing fine.

Evasion is only as good as your reflex save and hp will allow. You could have improved evasion, **** hp, and a low reflex and still die miserably quite easily. Some people may complain about ddo having too many things that make it easier now, but as far as I know, they still haven't developed a feat that turns your toon into "winning" all the time. Any challenge can be completed with teamwork and good group tactics. (Except killing the lag monster. He's unkillable.)
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

If you're willing to invest in the requirements, it can pay off quite well. If there are other aspects of your character that are more compelling to emphasize, skip it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Maybe your Evasion was cancelled out by encumbrance or something?
    Encumbrance was okay since I dumped 2000+ shards from ingredients bag into bank, although I didn't know it was a factor in evasion so thanks for the info. Perhaps I was just unlucky, I mistimed a jump over one of the fire jets travelling back after picking up the key from the chest and was incinerated. Of course the key dropped right where I died so I had to get fragged another two times to finally get it out of the room

Evasion is the 9th commandment!

9)Evasion is not optional
    Vertabreaker On Steam
    Vertabreaker's Power Hungry Quest TR 29 Of 40
    Encourage Self Sufficiency
    Power Gamer - Meta Gamer Since 1985

When you're playing a DEX-based ranger, Evasion is *awesome.* It'd be nice if rangers got it free at a lower level like rogues do, but I'm not complaining. The ability to duck potential incoming damage and do a little self-healing goes a long, long way.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (26 Tempest), Heldre (18 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (13 Ranger), Alansa (22 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (27 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (18 Kensei/2 Eldritch Knight); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/2 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (17 Druid)

I like evasion when I see the word evade fly by me. At the same time, the guy beside me who feels pure is the only way to go needs about 4, 500 hp or so. Or they're dead. Either way their a dumbass. Who doesn't bring resist 30's and elemental %'s to a quest.

Still it makes me feel good and that's all that ever matters. Anyone who says different is the other guy.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Really good.

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

It's a matter of your playstyle, preference, and experience with the game. Only go for evasion if you can boost it high enough for it to matter- if you've got a CLR18/MNK2, and you started with a base 8 DEX, no tomes, no DEX item, it's going to suck.

The lowest DEX I went on an evasion character is on my CLR18/MNK2. She started with 13 base DEX, but she's got a +4 tome, good DEX item, and is Halfling, so I get bonuses there. I'm starting to rethink things though, due to the higher reflex saves needed in the new content. It used to be that you wanted to get your reflex save higher than 30. 30 was still low, but enough to make a difference. Now the benchmark is higher... if you're tight on points to spend on DEX, I'd say you'd want to get it in the high 40s and into the 50s for running endgame content. That's only for characters that usually dump DEX and are tight on stat points... the more, the better, especially on Epic Elite.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    Evasion for a wizard is like BBQ sauce on dry chicken.

Magical chicken.
    Magical Chicken is BEST Chicken!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sianys View Post
    When you're playing a DEX-based ranger, Evasion is *awesome.* It'd be nice if rangers got it free at a lower level like rogues do, but I'm not complaining. The ability to duck potential incoming damage and do a little self-healing goes a long, long way.
    I've got a strength based ranger and he still has decent evasion. Probably not as good as a dex based, but good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    It's worth pointing out that not everyone gets their Reflex save from Dex... some use Int or Cha.
    How can you get reflex save from Cha? Could be useful to one of my characters.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Aolas View Post
    Yesterday, in "Fanning the Flames" I died 3 times to traps on Elite. This is a 7th level quest, my 10th level Ranger(9) Rogue(1) with a very respectable Reflex save of 21. Failed trap DC on both counts, taking circa 160 fire damage over 2 hits with 20 points of fire resistance running as well (so basically 200 damage)

I'm leaning toward thinking Evasion isn't as useful as most people claim. Improved Evasion is definitely worthwhile, or Ranger Tempest Evasive Dance which amounts to the same thing.
    Evasion doesn't equate to immunity from traps - that requires a lot more investment.

However, evasion is amazing. Even on EE (okay, not new content. I do need new gear) my reflex lets my ignore most casters and a fair few traps - and this is on a cleric.
    No offence, 21 reflex isn't anything special for level 10. Just trust me, evasion is as good as people claim, you just need more reflex.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Two levels of paladin adds cha mod to all saves.
    And unlike Insightful Reflexes, it's not "instead of". Paladins do get full +mod from BOTH stats. (So potentially twice the benefit from +stat gear.)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Community Member

Evasion is a fantastic ability if you have a strong enough reflex save to back it up (my current life does and it's incredibly helpful), however, most of my lives haven't had it and felt plenty durable: but do note that all of those lives had strong self-healing. And by strong, I mean stronger than UMD-ing Heal scrolls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast