Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default handling traps as a pure sorcerer

How do I handle heavy trap dungeons as a pure sorcerer. I am stuck with a cleric hireling as I have no other option for proper healing. Potions are to expensive combined with all my reagent and granite dust expenses. I have no UMD as I have to focus the few skill points I get into concentration, balance, and spell craft. The cleric is also an invaluable SP battery for around 400 sp in long dungeons like Tear of Dekhan or Whisperdoom which only have 2 shrines but a lot of difficult encounters stringed together.

For the most part I have just been brute forcing through traps up to level 1-10 elite or going by the patterns. Sometimes I can just buff my jump stupid high and pop haste and I can get past traps before they even activate. These new traps however have gotten much more complex and have places where they outright can't be avoided. The Quest Made to Order has an excessive amount of invisible proximity mines with large splash range. Whisperdoom has random traps inside the village. The latest random trap I have encountered puts a spike traps in front of a door that needs to be opened but the spikes have no gaps. This leads to suicide while trying to open the door every time.

Besides waiting for a rogue every time I want to run quests like these are there any other options?

Get a hireling with raise dead.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Learn to dodge traps - it's possible for most, albeit hard to learn. (Yes, I screw up all the time)

Anyway, Tear has three shrines? One past water (near wis rune), one past the bridge (two valves, then straight ahead) and one just before the end.

Looking at the quests you mentioned, I don't remember any seriously difficult traps.

Oh, and a small point - you move slower while jumping. Do not jump unless you can get completely over the trap.

1. elemental resistances and reflex saves.
    For most traps, there's a reflex save for half damage. So, if you can boost your reflex save high enough, you'd only take half damage from the trap, which may be marginally more survivable. Of course, you are complaining about the cost of stuff, so you probably don't have the resources to boost saves enough, but here's a list of stuff you can get to boost saves:

Resistance
    Good luck (magical item effect, also boosts skills)
    Parrying
    Morale Based (heroism, greater heroism, certain bard songs?)
    Paladin aura based (at least, there used to be an aura that boosted saves)
    enhancement based save boosting (does this still exist? would only apply to helves and humans)

Elemental resistances
    With X% absorption now reasonably common, it's possible to get some useful absorptions at lower levels, to stack with your straight up resistances. Also note that the lvl 4 spell 'fireshield' will absorb fire or cold damage, depending on the type. Also, there's the protection from elements spell.

As a sorcerer, you aren't likely to have these things in your spell list, but you can use scrolls of them.

Example: facing big fire damage trap:
    equip resistance item
    equip good luck item
    equip parrying item
    equip fire resistance item (or cast resist fire, or have active ship buff)
    equip fire absorption item
    Drink cat's grace potion (+4 dex, raises reflex save) or equip + dex item
    drink heroism potion (or scroll greater heroism, or use planar gird)
    scroll cast protection from elements: fire
    scroll cast fire shield: cold
    cast haste

run through trap

2. speed
    Moving through the trap quickly may reduce your chances of being hit multiple times, so use haste and move fast.

3. hireling rez + teleport.
    Park hireling right next to the trap. Go into the trap yourself and die. As a ghost, step out of the trap (on the correct side of the trap) and have the hireling rez you. Advance through the dungeon far enough ahead that the hireling will teleport rather than walk, and have them teleport to you.

If you can spare the TPs, a gold seal rogue hireling can usually do the job. Pop the hireling when you hit the first trap point, and with luck you'll have time left on the contract to reuse it (pop as soon as you enter the next quest with it). I think it's time for those to be available at the vendors, but if you use a gold seal you can also use your regular hjealer hireling.

Edit: But yes, most traps you can avoid if you know where they are, and when it comes to mines, keeping your elemental protection spells fresh goes a long way to help with things like made to order. Just make sure to park the hireling behind the door on one side of the traps so you can call them to teleport them through.
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Community Member

Yes those or any traps are annoying. As you play more and more of it in due time you'll learn to avoid it completely or take half the damage. Most of the times, before the traps are activated but you have a feeling that a trap is there, just run past them, most of the time (in my case) I've already pass the trap before it activates. Players usually stop and run back and that's usually why players died. Some traps, ie Lord of Dust, at the time it was impossible to do on elite without a rogue since those three traps right before the 2nd half of the quest. I learned that if you run on the side of the trap (not middle, you gotta hug the wall) there's a chance that it will not hit you, but some people jump over that first trap with FF. The 4 blades for that third trap, if you hug the wall and run, you'll only get hit twice by the blade instead of running middle and get hit by four blades, but then again most of the time in my case, I don't get any damage at all. Just saying! XD

Yeah, in Made to Order I found that casting Protection from Elements at the start and then immediately after every mine blew that it worked pretty well to mitigate most of the damage.

I wouldn't want to try and keep a hire alive through that, though. It's harder to solo with a hire than it is to solo on a self-sufficient character.

Community Member

yes keeping hireling alive has been a trying experience at best. I have to keep pure sorc for earth elemental form so i don't really have the option of splashing anything. From levels 1-10 I have had 50% miss chance from my high AC and 50% concealment from displacement though. I hardly get hit at all and stone skin has been great mitigation. It's just after 5 or 6 fights my hp starts to wear down.

maybe I should dump concentration and put it into UMD instead for a healing wand as I rarely get hit and my spells are pretty much instant anyway. It would be nice to to have to be lashed to my cleric every dungeon I run although I would miss the 400 extra sp she nets me from vitality.

I was tempted multiple times to do the same of what you suggested by leaving Concentration for a few levels. However, when you are in higher level content, it will be really useful when casting while in combat. Having to recast the spell a couple of times might mean life or death.

As for UMD, it will get better with time; your hire should be OK for the job. You just need to treat them like totems; leave in one place and run for heals.

The solution for traps are as suggested above, either a gold seal hire (and most times if you know the quest, you can get it done pretty quick so you can do 2-3 quests per hire) or the other option LFM the quest and wait for a rogue. Another is spam yourself with Elements Protection + Resists and hope for the best.

Good news is, once you reach Eveningstar (level 16+, probably even earlier if you want) your Mordenkainen's Disjunction can disarm (not find) any spell ward (trap type). Only downside it is an SP drain but at least better than nothing.
    I am the architect of my own destruction...

How to Group With Clerics

Community Member

An ancillary note to everyone else's suggestions, which cover all the important points:

-There are no random traps. There are traps that may or may not appear, but the locations are always fixed. If you know where they *may* be, you can still mitigate them. Made to Order are invisible, but always fixed (they're in the narrow hallways, and can be largely avoided by wall-hugging and jumping through the halls).

Doors/levers/etc. with traps you cant avoid can also be handled by sending your hireling to open/activate the item. Hirelings get I think +20 Reflex vs traps, plus they may have more HP than you, plus you can buff them with many of the same spells you use on yourself. They may be able to survive long enough to open the door where you would not. Conversely, if they dont, you're SOL because your rezzer is dead and his stone is trapped

-Get more HP. You're a low-HD class, so you're going to want to boost your CON and use False Life and Vitality items. More HP = more ability to blunt-force your way through traps, which is ultimately your only option.
    Last edited by droid327; 09-02-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledtyrant View Post
    How do I handle heavy trap dungeons as a pure sorcerer. I am stuck with a cleric hireling as I have no other option for proper healing. Potions are to expensive combined with all my reagent and granite dust expenses. I have no UMD as I have to focus the few skill points I get into concentration, balance, and spell craft. The cleric is also an invaluable SP battery for around 400 sp in long dungeons like Tear of Dekhan or Whisperdoom which only have 2 shrines but a lot of difficult encounters stringed together.

For the most part I have just been brute forcing through traps up to level 1-10 elite or going by the patterns. Sometimes I can just buff my jump stupid high and pop haste and I can get past traps before they even activate. These new traps however have gotten much more complex and have places where they outright can't be avoided. The Quest Made to Order has an excessive amount of invisible proximity mines with large splash range. Whisperdoom has random traps inside the village. The latest random trap I have encountered puts a spike traps in front of a door that needs to be opened but the spikes have no gaps. This leads to suicide while trying to open the door every time.

Besides waiting for a rogue every time I want to run quests like these are there any other options?
    Well
    Made to Order can be a Härte Test, meaning its suicide without a Trapper or at least really good reflex save & evasion.
    I suggest you just buy a Gold Seal Trapper, its easy to get enough AS from selling stuff to buy a Gold seal from time to time.

Or as already said: max your resists and buffs and Reflex saves, although i found this is often not enough for Made to Order.
    The Mines hit for stupid high amounts of damage or well at least they did last time i was there.

Dunno if the grouping changed really that much but i always found really fast groups for Made to Order, mainly because its one of those quests where you want to group.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    I suggest you just buy a Gold Seal Trapper, its easy to get enough AS from selling stuff to buy a Gold seal from time to time.
    I think I own one AS, that I got once from Daily Dice back when you could still get AS from it (I dont think you can anymore?). How am I supposed to post anything on the ASAH if I dont have AS to pay the fee?

Also, how is a new-ish player supposed to know what will actually sell on the ASAH, before they post up items?

Lastly, I never recommend spending TP or AS as a solution for any problem that can be solved in-game for free...I ran MtO Elite, with a non-trapper (though an Evader), just fine. The other solutions mentioned - Resist Energy, +Reflex save, smart motion through hallways to avoid most mines, and common sense hireling control are more than enough even on a non-evasion, non-trapper class. Hugging the walls and jumping through hallways (with Jump spell) will mean you either circumnavigate or jump over 80% of the mines...the only time you'll hit one is if one is on the very side of the hallway, right where you happen to land.
    Last edited by droid327; 09-02-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Honest advice to you that will hopefully help you in the long run is to put points into umd. You will need heal scrolls and potentially raise scrolls as you get higher and higher level. Or you will need to be wf and be able to self heal. Even if you have to dump spellcraft to get it 23 less spellpower is a better trade off than not getting healed and getting dead.

Um, why the hell do you feel that you need to put skill points in BALANCE of all things?
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member

because I get knocked down why else would i put points in balance?

because I get knocked down why else would i put points in balance?
    I don't bother with balance it doesn't prevent knockdown only helps you get back up faster best defense against knockdown is avoiding attacks that knock you down. Just move out of the way

Also concentration late in the game is almost useless because you get hit for so much it doesn't really matter how high it doesn't help

I'd trade them both for UMD

your on a high CHA build take advantage of it

It would be nice to to have to be lashed to my cleric every dungeon I run although I would miss the 400 extra sp she nets me from vitality.
    You can have the best of both worlds. Learn the DDoor spell, and go through dungeons without a hire. If you run low on spell points, DDoor to the start, call your hire, use all his DVs and dismiss him.

To really go nuts with it you can carry 3 different hires with DV3 and when you DDoor back you can call/dismiss all 3, one after the other, for around 1400 spell points.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think I own one AS, that I got once from Daily Dice back when you could still get AS from it (I dont think you can anymore?). How am I supposed to post anything on the ASAH if I dont have AS to pay the fee?

Also, how is a new-ish player supposed to know what will actually sell on the ASAH, before they post up items?

Lastly, I never recommend spending TP or AS as a solution for any problem that can be solved in-game for free...I ran MtO Elite, with a non-trapper (though an Evader), just fine. The other solutions mentioned - Resist Energy, +Reflex save, smart motion through hallways to avoid most mines, and common sense hireling control are more than enough even on a non-evasion, non-trapper class. Hugging the walls and jumping through hallways (with Jump spell) will mean you either circumnavigate or jump over 80% of the mines...the only time you'll hit one is if one is on the very side of the hallway, right where you happen to land.
    There was just a week or two back a free give away code for 10 AS.
    Follow on FB or Twitter or check the Freebee Thread every week, good chance you get some.
    If you dont want to wait for that or luck with chests (you can still find them in chests) buy the smallest Pack and start selling stuff on the ASAH.

Since AS where introduced i have made about 2400AS without buying a single one from the shop.
    Just bought a dragon pet for 600AS because i still had 1400AS and absolutely no idea what to buy else with them.

pure stat items (ability/dodge/etc)
    twink weapons (something of lacerating with masterful)
    twink items
    Dragonscales
    rare collectables
    Necro Collectables
    Tomes
    even some crafted weapons and shards sell there

you can also use it to sell stuff that your char wont use again (i just sold a whirlwind because i finishd my melee lifes on that one)

Edit:
    People that are new to Games as a whole probably wont know from start on but its easy to learn as there are only a few basic rules for it. And most People that come from other Games will grasp on fast what is selling without even checking the wiki or asking for advice.
    Last edited by Daemoneyes; 09-03-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    You can have the best of both worlds. Learn the DDoor spell, and go through dungeons without a hire. If you run low on spell points, DDoor to the start, call your hire, use all his DVs and dismiss him.

To really go nuts with it you can carry 3 different hires with DV3 and when you DDoor back you can call/dismiss all 3, one after the other, for around 1400 spell points.
    little hint
    Korthos SP Necklace gives enough SP for DDoor

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    I don't bother with balance it doesn't prevent knockdown only helps you get back up faster best defense against knockdown is avoiding attacks that knock you down. Just move out of the way

Also concentration late in the game is almost useless because you get hit for so much it doesn't really matter how high it doesn't help

I'd trade them both for UMD

your on a high CHA build take advantage of it

There are some skills balance rolls against being knocked down, but they are few, mostly it's reflex, or str/dex saves. I don't know, I usually have a plenty high dex on my casters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast