Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member pseudomasochist's Avatar

Default Freedom of Movement is not protecting against Hold Monster

I figured it was a one-time glitch yesterday when a gnoll mystic in Ritual Sacrifice hit my ranger with Hold Monster even though she had FoM going. In another run of Ritual Sacrifice today, Paetus was held twice(and subsequently died) after I had buffed him with FoM. Then at the end of Running With the Devils, my ranger was held multiple times by Taeron Rimond while her buff bar had FoM present.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

I just got through running Cannith Manufactury picking up some slayers on my level 24 ranger15\fighter4\rogue1. I was being dazed by the articifer's Lightning Sphere spell constantly. I checked the combat log and did not see any rolls for a saving throw, just dazed.. It was pretty much spell, daze, get hit, move, repeat. This was not happening the last time I was in there. I even got dazed once when they were on the other side of a closed door.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by pseudomasochist View Post
    I figured it was a one-time glitch yesterday when a gnoll mystic in Ritual Sacrifice hit my ranger with Hold Monster even though she had FoM going. In another run of Ritual Sacrifice today, Paetus was held twice(and subsequently died) after I had buffed him with FoM. Then at the end of Running With the Devils, my ranger was held multiple times by Taeron Rimond while her buff bar had FoM present.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
    I've heard other people mention this in game. My main generally only fails a will save on 1 anyways so I wouldn't be likely to notice.

Fun question.

If freedom of movement doesn't stop holds anymore is there anything left it does protect against? (grease I guess?)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    If freedom of movement doesn't stop holds anymore is there anything left it does protect against? (grease I guess?)
    At least until the next update, where it'll only protect against natural grease, and only provide +4 bonus against magical grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    I've heard other people mention this in game. My main generally only fails a will save on 1 anyways so I wouldn't be likely to notice.

Fun question.

Tomb of the Forbidden - Otherwise known as "The Ice Rink"

Soon this ^ will be the ONLY Quest LEFT in the game that FoM will be of use in!

Sometimes my fom boots dont work on webs.

Community Member

FoM is one of those spells they should just get rid of since they hate it. Rather see it removed than continually nerfed.

Community Member

FOM used to stop snare in the Druid's chain, but have not been there since U19.

This was handy as the NPC'S snare spell was far more dangerous than the PC version.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Tomb of the Forbidden - Otherwise known as "The Ice Rink"

Soon this ^ will be the ONLY Quest LEFT in the game that FoM will be of use in!
    Isn't it still useful against the white dragon in the tor? Or is it useless there now too?

Quote Originally Posted by MindCakes View Post
    At least until the next update, where it'll only protect against natural grease, and only provide +4 bonus against magical grease.
    I really wish that didn't sound so believable...
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    FoM is one of those spells they should just get rid of since they hate it. Rather see it removed than continually nerfed.
    I agree
    Better to remove the ability than to continue to mislead players.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCakes View Post
    Is that when it gets renamed Freedom of Bowel Movement?

FoM will turn into a +10 saves bonus next expansion right along with deathward. I'll put money on it, the stupid has no end lately.

I feel sick

I think it would be great if FoM was changed to give a + bonus instead of immunity. I think immunities take away from the depth and excitement of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    I think it would be great if FoM was changed to give a + bonus instead of immunity. I think immunities take away from the depth and excitement of the game.
    General opinion of game designers and gamers is loss of control of your character for extended periods of time is not fun and leads to less excitement in the game. Hint Hint less excitement = less fun = less players.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    General opinion of game designers and gamers is loss of control of your character for extended periods of time is not fun and leads to less excitement in the game. Hint Hint less excitement = less fun = less players.
    Exactly.

It's stupid, and it's lazy programming.

"Hey we can't come up with something challenging, let's just break all their protections and make really annoying attacks that hold you in place, trip you, stun you, and make it so they can't do anything about it by removing some high level spells"

It is Un-Fun for us, and lazy of them.

Yeah. Cause I really want to spend all my time doing absolutely nothing of any use simply because that's the only way devs can think of to make things 'hard'.

PurpleFooz already said that this change to FoM was on their schedule. And everyone laughed it off as a joke. So keep on laughing, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    Fortunately, modern game designers disagree. There is nothing fun about setting at the keyboard without control of your character, or simply dieing without anything to be done about it. But then again, being a bad idea hasn't stopped many of the changes done over the last year.

I wonder if remove paralysis might work so at least other characters can "free" you.

Quote Originally Posted by THOTHdha View Post
    PurpleFooz already said that this change to FoM was on their schedule. And everyone laughed it off as a joke. So keep on laughing, I guess.
    The link is HERE

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleFooz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    While your at it, did you know that freedom of movement still makes us completely immune to hold spells! Surely something has to be done about this to make enemy creation easier.
    This is on our todo list, but we aren't slated to get to it for U19.
    It's not a high priority for us to nerf you guys!
    Apparently it IS a high priority.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast