Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Default Why no tutorial on LFM's for newbies?

I've just been explaining to a newbie who is level 5 how to open the LFM panel and how to create LFM's.

People complain about the lack of lfm's fairly often. Are we doing ourselves any favours by not having a step-by-step tutorial on how to use these and how to put one up to help new players?

We have the public party option that would let new players automatically generate an LFM where people can port directly to the quest, but what's the point of that if they don't know it exists or how to use it?

Maybe we should have some default setting that highlights that the lfm has been created by a new player who may not know the quest - something a veteran can easily turn off if they want to.

So with the harbour revamp, maybe we can go one better than just playing with the cosmetics and add a tutorial that teaches new players how the LFM system works and what some of the more common abbreviations mean?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    I've just been explaining to a newbie who is level 5 how to open the LFM panel and how to create LFM's.

People complain about the lack of lfm's fairly often. Are we doing ourselves any favours by not having a step-by-step tutorial on how to use these and how to put one up to help new players?

We have the public party option that would let new players automatically generate an LFM where people can port directly to the quest, but what's the point of that if they don't know it exists or how to use it?

Maybe we should have some default setting that highlights that the lfm has been created by a new player who may not know the quest - something a veteran can easily turn off if they want to.

So with the harbour revamp, maybe we can go one better than just playing with the cosmetics and add a tutorial that teaches new players how the LFM system works and what some of the more common abbreviations mean?
    Let's be clear. When people say they want more LFMs, they do not mean they want more LFMs with new people in them.

That said, a tutorial makes sense, though I don't think it's all that confusing to figure out. But I'd have no problem with a tutorial. Including random meaning of abbreviations probably isn't a good idea. Everyone has their own idea of what abbreviations mean already, and we don't need Turbine sticking their two cents in.

I am a new player. While the LFMs (looking for members) for PUGs (pick-up-groups) are not part of a tutorial, they are pretty easy to figure out. I gave up on grouping because of the people not the technology. I want to enjoy the game and the story. When I get a group full of zergers and XP/Favour farmers who run through the quest, there is no fun for me. And putting expectations in the LFM doesn't make any difference.

A tutorial would help people know they can join a PUG but without some way to filter on play style, it's always going to cause problems and disappoint. I don't think this is a technology problem, it's a people problem. I am going to frustrate a group that likes to rush through a quest just as much as they are going to frustrate my attempt to enjoy the quest and explore everything for myself.

NOTES on terminology I think I've learned since joining....

Zerg seams to mean running through a quest as fast as you possibly can killing everything that gets in your way. I don't know where it came from. I consider it a play style, not an insult.

Farming seams to mean repeating quests to obtain a specific result. I.E. XP farming for experience. Favor farming for favor (getting to 75 coin lords favor opens up an extra backpack slot, which is really handy). Equipment farming to get a specific item.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Zerg seams to mean running through a quest as fast as you possibly can killing everything that gets in your way. I don't know where it came from. I consider it a play style, not an insult.
    See Starcraft for the origins of the zerg

I agree that there's nothing that the technology can do to improve the attitude of people joining or posting a pug, the best you can hope for is posting in the description of the LFM what type of party you are looking for - so zerg or no zerging are definite distinctions. No spoilers also helps if you want a nice and slow approach to quests.

My standard description is *BYOH, know it* - it's not fool proof but it works more often than not.

I'm fairly new too and I do not use the tool, because whenever I take a look all groups seem to have an expiration time of only a few minutes or seconds. Second it's highly random whether somebody else looks in and joins or not.

Instead of the tool I use the server-wide chat channel to find people (on Wayfinder: /joinchannel Wayfinder). Just yesterday I finished the complete Threnal chain with a player I met in this channel. First we did some small talk and then we formed a party and did the chain. He has TR'ed 22 times and I play a first lifer. He was Level 9 and I was Level 11 and we did all quests on Elite. He explained difficult stages and it was great fun, and I doubt that the tool could have helped me this much as the channel.

See Starcraft for the origins of the zerg

I agree that there's nothing that the technology can do to improve the attitude of people joining or posting a pug, the best you can hope for is posting in the description of the LFM what type of party you are looking for - so zerg or no zerging are definite distinctions. No spoilers also helps if you want a nice and slow approach to quests.

My standard description is *BYOH, know it* - it's not fool proof but it works more often than not.
    Thanks. We probably won't be in the same group. Although I do BYOH (bring-your-own-healing), I'm way more a no-spoilers player. Have fun.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Community Member

It's fine, imo as it is. If my 6 and 8 year old children can figure it out on their own, any adult or teenager should be capable of doing it as well.

I also agree with a previous poster : it's the people in the pugs. It's all "rush rush rush" and not even the clerics or favored souls in the groups want to heal people any more. For new people, they aren't self sufficient, don't know the quests, and the zerger atmosphere is a big turn off.
    Last edited by TheGardes; 09-04-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    It's fine, imo as it is. If my 6 and 8 year old children can figure it out on their own, any adult or teenager should be capable of doing it as well.
    That's not entirely true. You see, children at those ages absorb information much faster than an adult. Which is why they can learn a new language quicker, or say learn to play a new instrument faster than an adult could.

And what exactly is the lfm tutorial for newer player going to do for them anyway? Not like that "need guide on normal" lfm is going to fill. Player base is largely disgusting.