Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down No images for signatures :(

It really sucks that we can't use images for signatures is there any reason for this? I have spent the past 30 minutes (ish) making one to discover that I can't use it

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    It really sucks that we can't use images for signatures is there any reason for this? I have spent the past 30 minutes (ish) making one to discover that I can't use it

Stoner81.
    Signatures kinda clutter the forums. I wouldn't mind custom avatars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Images in signatures that were not from a Turbine selection (like our avatars), would be too hard to police and keep clean. Right now, the word filter can catch most text violations - but an image link would be harder to monitor and make sure that nothing in the image was contrary to Turbine's rules and expectations.

As much as I'd like to see it, I kinda like using images in posts , I don't think we'll ever have the ability to select free-range images, and Turbine could never seem to figure out how to make the ones that linked to the now dead MyDDO reliably work right.

I could be wrong - but that's my takeaway on the issue.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Manager

Sapience over on the LOTRO side recently enabled forum signature images after the web site update that took place over there in early August. He clearly outlined the rules for images (that they not be gigantic, follow the community guidelines, and not be animated .gifs.) The results have been...well, I won't speak for him. Let's just say that I've noticed an awful lot of people who apparently haven't read the rules very well.

I'm not entirely opposed to forum signatures, but I think in general we've received enough feedback that people don't like the way the forums look with them that we haven't considered enabling it over on DDO's side. If we get enough player requests for it, perhaps this is something we could consider further.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Sapience over on the LOTRO side recently enabled forum signature images after the web site update that took place over there in early August. He clearly outlined the rules for images (that they not be gigantic, follow the community guidelines, and not be animated .gifs.) The results have been...well, I won't speak for him. Let's just say that I've noticed an awful lot of people who apparently haven't read the rules very well.

I'm not entirely opposed to forum signatures, but I think in general we've received enough feedback that people don't like the way the forums look with them that we haven't considered enabling it over on DDO's side. If we get enough player requests for it, perhaps this is something we could consider further.
    I personally would love to see the signatures enabled, when i first joined ddo after largely coming from mtgs(a magic the gathering site) that had a booming community of shops and contests for the very creative artwork blending.
    I never considered that they wouldnt be enabled b4 making a signature as well spent a hour making one and realized i could not use it. My guild website actually has a few signatures using our characters, would love to see the signatures booming on this website. Honestly getting a few talented people with psd could possibly bring some new levels to the picture of the weeks.
    Alkkarn Alkkine Alkine Roubot Alkot Alkky
    On argo cuz its better than you!

I'm not entirely opposed to forum signatures, but I think in general we've received enough feedback that people don't like the way the forums look with them
    Terrible reason. For those that don't want sigs, there is an option in general settings to disable them.

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Terrible reason. For those that don't want sigs, there is an option in general settings to disable them.
    I would have said terrible reason in the past but with the current login policies preventing people from staying signed in, most browsing sessions do not use your preferences. So in that case, if the majority do no want graphics in the signatures (disclose: i personally prefer no signatures at all), that should be the rule.

Of course they can accommodate that by making the default be in line with the majority and if that means no signature graphics then you have to be logged into use your preferences that enable signatures or signature graphics. I don't know if that is feasible with this forum since so many common sense things seem to be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    I don't mind .sigs. I do mind image .sigs. Most of the time they create a worse experience for me than having animated banner ads everywhere.

I like graphics in sigs, I like custom avatar images even more, forums that don't use them invariably end up having less personality and differentiation between posters, as people choose the same canned stock avatar image and you end up associating two or three people with the same pic.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Maybe have it so we have to submit the signature image for approval or make the penalties harsh for disobeying...or just put a limit into the forums I know that can be done ie.max 400 high x 800 wide.

Also I've noticed the DDO forums is quite effective at policing itself so someone breaking the limits would probably get told/reported quickly

So uh yea...I put in my official request...if only so I can proudly display my guild banner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Let's just say that I've noticed an awful lot of people who apparently haven't read the rules very well.
    Are the rules written in a comprehensive and easy to understand format for those who do not speak English very well? It's all well and good blaming people but if they don't understand the rules how should you expect them to be followed?

*this is not to say the rules haven't been written well or anything just making a point from the other side of the fence*

Sorry but this is utter garbage.

Forum signatures can be turned off in a persons settings within their account, yes people who are not signed in don't have this feature but you simply make an account and hey presto problem solved. AFAIK signatures are automatically enabled when the forum software is first installed (been a while since I did it) so assuming that is true then somebody somewhere must have disabled it and for what reason? None as far as I can tell or at least any reason that has credence.

There are members who are here a hell of a lot so you could give those guys basic moderator access to monitor peoples signatures and check for rule violations only or hell take on more staff!

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    I like graphics in sigs, I like custom avatar images even more, forums that don't use them invariably end up having less personality and differentiation between posters, as people choose the same canned stock avatar image and you end up associating two or three people with the same pic.
    ^THIS. Been waiting for allowance of custom avatars since I joined the game.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

I like my avatar just fine (as evidenced by my 2011 pumpkin carving contest submission). But I would like to have our old DDO sig generator images back.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    ^^This.

I want my custom avatar back. *crossed-arms, hip-cocked, pout*
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

The forum software you are using should be able to force size and format limits. Animation is the only reason to support GIF as PNG is vastly superior, so just disable that format.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 09-10-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    The Band of Gypsys

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    I always try to pick avatar images that seem really uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    The forum software you are using should be able to force size and format limits. Animation is the only reason to support GIF as PNG is vastly superior, so just disable that format.
    This ^^^^

If size and animation are the only issues even free forum software has those limiting options so it shouldn't be an issue.

Also IMO these forums are far more well behaved than the LOTRO Forums

Sidenote: Don't allow F2P players to have avvys or sigs...VIP and Premium can freely use it
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-10-2013 at 03:01 AM.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    this!

I don't want turn off the signature feature, sometimes people write interesting things in it. But images hinder rather than help

custom avatars would be cool
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    this!

I don't want turn off the signature feature, sometimes people write interesting things in it. But images hinder rather than help

custom avatars would be cool
    If your too lazy to press the "no sig images" you have no right to complain about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast