Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Are the devs still working on secret doors?

It appears there are no more secret doors in the higher level game, at least for most of us. True seeing is not finding them. The trappers I have grouped with can't find them. So for all practical purposes, secret doors and the options they contain no longer exist. That is a lot of development time that was removed from the game. It would seem you wasted a lot of time making secret doors with optional objectives behind them if you are simply going to remove the ability for most groups to ever find them.

I get that finding secret doors was too easy before. Too many people have clickies and could find every secret door. But true seeing should still be able to find all secret doors. It is not some level 1 spell but rather the ultimate spell of its kind. It needs to be able to do its job.

My party ran the Reign of Madness chain tonight and we could not find any of the secret doors through any means, even with a trapper in the party. It is not even an epic level quest pack.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Well, they took a system that was working fine and broke it. Color me surprised. Or not.
    It's definitely an N-word.

i know i ll receive beating, but iomho this change is for good. good trapper has meaning again. if ur rogues have problém finding doors, they re not simply good enough same waz as some caster srent able beat saves of monsters. it takes effort to be good at something.

what devs did is just removing easy button from casters which emulate via simple spell ability one must spen quite bit of resources on.

but be fine, rogues will never get that altar chest from lords of dust

A divination spell casted by a spellcasted should be as effective as the skill of a rogue. Spells are the job of a spellcaster, and they should be good. I'm tired of all nerfs to the magic.
    Last edited by Iriale; 09-04-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

maybe they shoud remove dc from knock spell as well, right? its magic - it should unlock things...

and while we at it - why not remove save from finger of death - it says finger of death not finger of poke u in back

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    It appears there are no more secret doors in the higher level game, at least for most of us. True seeing is not finding them. The trappers I have grouped with can't find them. So for all practical purposes, secret doors and the options they contain no longer exist. That is a lot of development time that was removed from the game. It would seem you wasted a lot of time making secret doors with optional objectives behind them if you are simply going to remove the ability for most groups to ever find them.

I get that finding secret doors was too easy before. Too many people have clickies and could find every secret door. But true seeing should still be able to find all secret doors. It is not some level 1 spell but rather the ultimate spell of its kind. It needs to be able to do its job.

My party ran the Reign of Madness chain tonight and we could not find any of the secret doors through any means, even with a trapper in the party. It is not even an epic level quest pack.
    Agreed with this....

This is a high level spell. It SHOULD always work for secret doors.

I also think the DC's are broken, if maxxed out skills are not finding these doors, something must be wrong.

dont get me bad, i also think that true seeing should work as it was. yeah, its one of kind strong spell of high lvl.

but thats not true, fully sli??ed rouge cant find traps or doors now. dcs in mid lvls just got heightened while ppl got used to lower dcs, so rogues often dump spot and int in favor of strenght or other ability

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthaag View Post
    dont get me bad, i also think that true seeing should work as it was. yeah, its one of kind strong spell of high lvl.

but thats not true, fully sli??ed rouge cant find traps or doors now. dcs in mid lvls just got heightened while ppl got used to lower dcs, so rogues often dump spot and int in favor of strenght or other ability
    My Level 27, Int Based Arti, wearing Epic Treasure Hunter's Spyglass (+20 search/spot), a +10 Int Item has a spot of 64 and a search of 81, and can't find the doors in Heroic Elite Army of Shadow; Can't find the Niece in Friends in Low Places on Epic Normal; can't find secret doors in Rushmore's mansion.

Some of them are just bugged, dude.

maybe they shoud remove dc from knock spell as well, right? its magic - it should unlock things...
    No, but knock should be better. Now it should be a spellcraft check.

and while we at it - why not remove save from finger of death - it says finger of death not finger of poke u in back
    no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    My Level 27, Int Based Arti, wearing Epic Treasure Hunter's Spyglass (+20 search/spot), a +10 Int Item has a spot of 64 and a search of 81, and can't find the doors in Heroic Elite Army of Shadow; Can't find the Niece in Friends in Low Places on Epic Normal; can't find secret doors in Rushmore's mansion.

Some of them are just bugged, dude.
    my pale trapper can't with a search 85. Something is buggy.

kk, i ll try to check it out. maybe u re right, tho i got no probs with any door till now with my rogues. tho i find my arties got hit to their sklil cause of enhancement pass - no longer sklil boost, class bonuses to certain skills etc - so i need to rebuild some.

btw anyone knows where artie umd bonus ve gone? mazbe i just fail my search check, but i couldnt find it on any tree

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    my pale trapper can't with a search 85. Something is buggy.
    aaah, ok...taking back my words about bad rogues then it sounds like isue

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Well, they took a system that was working fine and broke it. Color me surprised. Or not.
    Turbine motto: If its not broken now, it will be in next update.

Actually...Knock should never have had a DC in the First Place! - It didn't in PnP!

As for FoD - Saving throw to Negate has always been available {at least this spell had no arbitrary level limit on it unlike other Insta-Kills in PnP.}.

Rangers should get Disable Device as a Class Skill.
    Bards should get Open Lock as a Class Skill {And/Or Knock!}.

P.S. Nothing is Hidden is Great - All those Elven AAs out there can now find the Secret Doors and Trap Boxes {All the Rogue/Arti actually has to do is Disable}
    -Teamwork for the Win!

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_milic View Post
    turbine motto: If its not broken now, it will be in next update.
    qft.
    It's definitely an N-word.

I really wish they would have spent more time integrating the find secret doors and true seeing..

The destroyer of loot has effectively screwed higher level and epic detect secret doors items that were designed to find secret doors at higher levels and made True seeing worthless for finding secret doors.

I would have applied stacking bonuses for detect secret doors/True Seeing to spot/search based on level of equiment item/clickie.
    This way as you level getting higher level gear or obtaining epic relative gear would be usefull.
    Something similar to the cleric self cast spell of detect secret doors....

To make the level 1 clickie and epic gear equally worthless is asinine, at this point may as wll remove it from the game if there is no intention to actually fix it so it works in a useful way.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 09-04-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Actually...Knock should never have had a DC in the First Place! - It didn't in PnP!
    I’m fine with a DC in DDO because in DDO the spellcasting is spontaneus, not vancian. But Knock should have a better DC- Now it should use spellcraft, not the caster lever. And Spellcraft is a skill tax for spellcasters, should be more useful too and this change could help.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

As for FoD - Saving throw to Negate has always been available {at least this spell had no arbitrary level limit on it unlike other Insta-Kills in PnP.}.

Rangers should get Disable Device as a Class Skill.
    Bards should get Open Lock as a Class Skill {And/Or Knock!}.

P.S. Nothing is Hidden is Great - All those Elven AAs out there can now find the Secret Doors and Trap Boxes {All the Rogue/Arti actually has to do is Disable}
    -Teamwork for the Win!
    I disagree completely. Remove all DCs from the game. It's clearl what everyone wants, and everyone on the forums is an expert game designer. Just ask them, they'll tell you. Give all spells a static 95 percent chance of hitting. Clearly casters are just completely nerfed. Just ask the forumites, they'll tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    I’m fine with a DC in DDO because in DDO the spellcasting is spontaneus, not vancian. But Knock should have a better DC- Now it should use spellcraft, not the caster lever. And Spellcraft is a skill tax for spellcasters, should be more useful too and this change could help.
    this actually sounds like nice idea - spellcraft is skill in manipulating magic energy, so why not to use it for spells emulating other sklil ability by spell?

Community Member

but iomho this change is for good
    A. Your opinion is wrong (yes, it is possible for an opinion to be wrong).
    B. It's wrong because you clearly don't understand what they actually did.
    C. It's not really a Rogue's job to find secret doors. Here let me show you why:

Detect Secret Doors
    Divination
    Level: Brd 1, Knowledge 1, Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 60 ft.
    Area: Cone-shaped emanation
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level (D)
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No
    You can detect secret doors, compartments, caches, and so forth. Only passages, doors, or openings that have been specifically constructed to escape detection are detected by this spell. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.

1st Round
    Presence or absence of secret doors.

2nd Round
    Number of secret doors and the location of each. If an aura is outside your line of sight, then you discern its direction but not its exact location.

Each Additional Round
    The mechanism or trigger for one particular secret portal closely examined by you. Each round, you can turn to detect secret doors in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.
    Secret doors were never meant to be all that secret. This change is just another example of developer nerfing because they lack the skill necessary to design content based around the rules and so take the incompetent route of changing the rules to meet their story needs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast