Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb A Comprehensive Guide To BBcodes

Greetings and welcome to my comprehensive guide to BBcodes! This guide is aimed at as many people as possible so while there may be stuff here you already know, there might also be something you didn't know so onwards we go...

This guide will be split in to a number of sections which are as follows:

1. Introduction (this first post which you are currently reading).
    2. Basic BBcodes.
    3. Advanced BBcodes.

What are BBcodes?

BBcode is the short hand name of Bulletin Board code and simply put they are special "tags" which the forum recognizes and coverts in to HTML code and allows users to do many things like bolding text, underling text, colouring text and many more. Now you may be thinking "why not just let people use HTML tags" and this is a valid point however, there is a very good reason. Allowing users to directly insert HTML code is a major security risk to the forum and as a result virtually every forum you come across will have HTML codes disabled for this reason. BBcodes presents a way for users to add things to the their posts and make them look nice and neat without running the risk of somebody inserting nasty HTML code.

So how do I use these special BBcode tags?

This is very simple whenever you make a post you will have a editing box which has the options at the top of it, if you don't then press the "Advanced" button in the bottom right corner (only applicable when editing an existing post) and it will give you the more advanced editor which has the following:

Many BBcodes can be combined together with great effect giving you even more options for customizing your posts/threads, just play around with the options and see what works

Generally speaking this should cover all possible BBcodes available unless the forum administrators have added custom codes and not included an icon for them but that is something else entirely . Many users (myself included) simply type out the BBcode since it is faster than finding the right icon to click thanks to years of practice. Please note that not all forums will have the same codes since forum software varies greatly (here we are using vBulletin v4.x) though the codes may be similar.

The next 2 posts consists of a (hopefully) comprehensive list of all the BBcodes which are currently usable here at the DDO forums for easy reference and so as you can see how something will look like in advance, if I have missed any then please let me know and I will add them

Enjoy!

Stoner81.
    Last edited by Stoner81; 09-04-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Updated about the advanced editor.

Lightbulb Basic BBcodes

Bold, Underlined and Italic Text

[b]your text here[/b]
    [i]your text here[/i]
    [u]your text here[/u]
    Example Result

your text here
    your text here
    your text here

Sizing Text (this appears to be disabled)

[size=5]this text is large[/size]
    Example Result

[size=5]this text is large[/size]

Line Through Text (this appears to be disabled or not available due to the forum software)

[s]this text has a line through it[/s]
    Example Result

[s]this text has a line through it[/s]

Aligning Text

[left]your text here[/left]
    [center]your text here[/center]
    [right]your text here[/right]
    Example Result

your text here
    your text here
    your text here

Coloured Text

[color=orange]this text is orange[/color]
    Example Result

this text is orange

URL Hyperlinking

[url]https://www.ddo.com/forums[/url]
    [url=https://www.ddo.com/forums]Dungeons & Dragons Online Forums[/url]
    Example Result

Embed Images

[img]https://www.ddo.com/forums/images/statusicon/forum_new-48.png[/img] (Not linked)
    [url=http://www.example.com][img]https://www.ddo.com/forums/images/statusicon/forum_new-48.png[/img][/url] (Linked)
    Example Result

(Not linked)
    (Linked)

Coding Text

[code]your text here[/code]
    Example Result

Code:
    your text here

PHP Syntax Text

This is primarliy used by coders since it will show the highlighted colours for PHP coding beyond that this has little to no use at all

[php]
    $myvar = 'Hello World!';
    for ($i = 0; \$i < 10; \$i++)
    {
    echo $myvar . "\n";
    }
    [/php]
    Example Result

PHP Code:
    $myvar 'Hello World!';
    for (
    $i 0; \$i 10; \$i++)
    {
        echo 
    $myvar "\n";

Quoting Text

[quote]Greetings and welcome to my comprehensive guide to bbcodes![/quote]
    [quote=Stoner81]Greetings and welcome to my comprehensive guide to bbcodes![/quote]
    [quote=Stoner81;5090371]Greetings and welcome to my comprehensive guide to bbcodes![/quote]
    Example Result

Greetings and welcome to my comprehensive guide to bbcodes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post

Highlighting Text

[highlight]this text is highlighted[/highlight]
    Example Result

this text is highlighted

Stop BBcode Parsing

This will prevent the bbcode being read by the forum so it will just display as text, this is very useful when trying to show somebody how to do something using BBcode.

[noparse][b]this is just an example[/b][/noparse]
    Example Result

[b]this is just an example[/b]

Email Linking

[email]Stoner81@example.com[/email]
    [email=Stoner81@example.com]Click Here to Email Me[/email]
    Example Result

Superscript

[SUP]this is just an example[/SUP]
    Example Result

this is just an example

Indenting Text

[INDENT]this text is indented[/INDENT]
    Example Result

this text is indented

Horizontal Line

[HR][/HR]
    Example Result

Stoner81.

Default Advanced BBcodes

Embed Youtube Videos

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g[/video]
    Example Result

Listing Text

[list][*]list item 1[*]list item 2[/list]

[list=1][*]list item 1[*]list item 2[/list]

[list=A][*]list item 1[*]list item 2[/list]

[list=a][*]list item 1[*]list item 2[/list]
    Example Result

• list item 1
    • list item 2

1. list item 1
    2. list item 2

1. list item 1
    2. list item 2

1. list item 1
    2. list item 2

Creating Tables

This is rather complex for a novice user but it is here so you can at least see it in action and see what the code looks like so you can always copy and paste it and edit accordingly

[table="width: 500, class: grid"]
    [tr]
    [td]test 1[/td]
    [td]test 2[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]test 3[/td]
    [td]test 4[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]test 5[/td]
    [td]test 6[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    Example Result

test 1 test 2
    test 3 test 4
    test 5 test 6
    Where it says "test 1" and "test 2" you can change the "[TD]" tags to "[TH]" which means "table headers" so it will look slightly differently, all you need to do is just add more code to add more columns or rows

Stoner81.

How much of the BBcodes are transferable to other forums? Fair assumption that the basics will be the same?

Have a +1.. And a few more, when possible.

Many of them are transferable to other forums but some might not be such as video embedding, it depends on the forum software being used and if the forum admins have added in any special code in case the video embed is not natively supported. URL linking is pretty much the same though you might have to use quotation marks around the URL like so:

Code:
    [url="your link here"]Your text here[/url]
    Many of the basic formatting tools like alignment, bold, underlined and italic are pretty standard just have a play around with the forum and see what works

Stoner81.

PS - Glad you like and thanks for the +rep

Very nice! Useful guide, this. And yeah, this stuff will work for most forums you'll run across.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Glad you like it Cordovan thanks for stopping by never had a dev post in one of my threads before

Stoner81.

Community Member

Default sticky please

this should be stikied so it can be seen by new players I would love to no have to search either, though I will bookmark it. it would still be nice to have it at easy acess for new players.
    A Player of a clonk
    funniest thing I have read in a while=>
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    we'd rather spend that development time on things most players like.

Nice!

Thanks for posting.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

OK I'm not trying to troll here or anything, just asking a question abut the Bbcode thing out of..well heh lack of knowledge on it, and curiosity. My question is, if we have this:

Which allows us to do bold/italics/underline/make a list/make a table/insert pic/link/email/video, etc.

Why would we need to bother learning all these little codes when we can just point and click?

Like I said I'm not trying to troll your thread, OP, you're trying to help people and that's cool. I just don't get whats the motivation to learn these codes when I can just, for example, click one button and get bold text.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member

Default Because it's quicker...

Many users (myself included) simply type out the BBcode since it is faster than finding the right icon to click thanks to years of practice.
    If you're a proficient both-hands-on-the-keyboard type typist, it's much quicker to rattle out a quick [b]blah[/b], than it is to take your hand off the keyboard, find the mouse from which ever random corner of the screen you left it in, highlight your text, move it to the bold button, click, move the cursor back out of the way and move you hand back to the keyboard.

Of course if your typing, like mine, is somewhat akin to what a drunken Kobold could manage, then it's a different story...

Quote Originally Posted by gypsythief View Post
    If you're a proficient both-hands-on-the-keyboard type typist, it's much quicker to rattle out a quick [b]blah[/b], than it is to take your hand off the keyboard, find the mouse from which ever random corner of the screen you left it in, highlight your text, move it to the bold button, click, move the cursor back out of the way and move you hand back to the keyboard.

Of course if your typing, like mine, is somewhat akin to what a drunken Kobold could manage, then it's a different story...
    Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining. Heh however my typing is something like you describe yours being, so I find the point-and-click thing easier. Not to mention the added time involved in remembering "now which code is that again?"
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

whenever you make a post you will have a editing box which has the options at the top of it, if you don't then press the "Advanced" button in the bottom right corner and it will give you the more advanced editor
    Where exactly is the "advanced" button? I used to have that tool box then I used a userskin for the forums, I've disabled it but can't figure out how to get that box back & not seeing the advanced thing.

Also... https://www.ddo.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode
    :P
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    OK I'm not trying to troll here or anything, just asking a question abut the Bbcode thing out of..well heh lack of knowledge on it, and curiosity. My question is, if we have this:

Which allows us to do bold/italics/underline/make a list/make a table/insert pic/link/email/video, etc.

Why would we need to bother learning all these little codes when we can just point and click?

Like I said I'm not trying to troll your thread, OP, you're trying to help people and that's cool. I just don't get whats the motivation to learn these codes when I can just, for example, click one button and get bold text.
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsythief View Post

Enough said really and don't worry it's a legitimate question

I have been an avid forum user for over 5 years and spent an insane amount of time using various forum software be it just as a user (like yourself) to being a full blown site administrator responsible for everything. As a result I know a lot of the standard codes used so I just type them out automatically since it's much much faster for me to do that. However, not everybody is like me so the tools are there to suit people who don't know the coding off by heart which is all fine and dandy just use what works for you

Quote Originally Posted by ycheese123 View Post
    Where exactly is the "advanced" button? I used to have that tool box then I used a userskin for the forums, I've disabled it but can't figure out how to get that box back & not seeing the advanced thing.

Also... https://www.ddo.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode
    :P
    Sorry my mistake for that I apologize please allow me to clarify.

The "Advanced" button is only available when you are editing an existing post, if you hit the button at the bottom of a thread which says "Reply to thread" then you should automatically get the advanced editor. However, if you don't do then you might have changed things within your settings so please try the following:

1. Click "Settings" in the top right corner near your username at the top of the site.
    2. On the left hand side under "My Account" look for and click the "General Settings" link.
    3. In the right hand window which appears scroll down to the section entitled "Miscellaneous Options".
    4. If you have the "Basic Editor" option ticked then change it to the bottom one which says "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls".
    5. Click "Save Changes" at the very bottom.
    6. You should be fine now as far as I know

I have updated the first post regarding the advanced button and again my apologies for any confusion caused.

Stoner81.

4. If you have the "Basic Editor" option ticked then change it to the bottom one which says "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls".
    5. Click "Save Changes" at the very bottom.
    That's what I needed. Thank ya!
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

If I feel like adding quotes as I'm typing my reply (whatever it may be), and want to link it to the post, how do I know what number it is? (Short of actually quoting it)

I can do - [quote=X]-stuff-[/quote] but that doesn't link to a post. (Due to missing the number)

And again, thanks for this page - Due to my no-life habits, being able to type the codes instead of hunting with a mouse is a god-send
    I'd +1 again, but still have a rep power of 0 *cough*

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    If I feel like adding quotes as I'm typing my reply (whatever it may be), and want to link it to the post, how do I know what number it is? (Short of actually quoting it)
    In the screenshot below of your post, I hovered my mouse over the post number (#19) in the top-right corner:

If you look at the bottom, you can see the URL of the link. The number at the end (5092772) is the unique number of your post, and the one to include in the [/quote=] bit. As an example, the quote of your post that I opened this reply with reads [QUOTE=Soulfurnace;5092772]If I feel like adding quotes as I'm typing my reply (whatever it may be), and want to link it to the post, how do I know what number it is? (Short of actually quoting it)[/QUOTE]. You can see that the number in the quote matches that at the end of the URL in the screenshot.

You can also see the number by hovering over the "Reply with Quote" button. Again, it is the number at the end of the URL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast