Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What have you done with the Gold Roll Cosmetics? And why?

Dear Turbine and Quartermasterx;

First, let me thank you for the XP drops in the daily dice rolls, I think everybody is happy to have them.
    But I only recently noticed after closer examination that in addition, you had removed the cosmetic prizes without a discernible mention, to my dismay and considerable consternation.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the cosmetic prizes were my only real motivation for dutifully playing the gold rolls. For some, cosmetics weren't the primary draw, but for me personally, the consumable boosts awarded are at best transient conveniences that are better purchased by turbine points at the moment of need than hoarded into our already cramped inventories when they are randomly bestowed. But the cosmetics were something else to strive for- they offered a slim but real opportunity to change your character's presentation permanently, and a slimmer chance still to do so in a way exclusive to the roll. The Thinking Cap and the beach rags, the Robe of Ice, all called to me.

I stocked all the prizes away on a character that quickly became a mule of unused slayer boosts and crafting elixirs, but the only thing that brought me back was the chance at those cosmetics. I've probably spent well over 1000 shards rolling for them specifically, and I've won a few store-sold versions, but I wanted more. I waited months eagerly for the new cosmetic helms announced here for the rolls, and instead they vanished away entirely, without announcement and without justification. If it hadn't been for another post on the forums, I probably wouldn't have noticed the probability shift for a long time, random rewards being what they are.

I never complained about the collectibles or the slayer boosts or the other dross that packed the daily roll- the random chance is part of the compelling nature of loot in the game; if we could just get only valuable items it would be essentially the store and the rarity and exclusivity would be lost. And I can understand if some preferred their boosts to the cosmetics. It seemed to be a fine compromise that there was something desirable for everyone in the rolls, and the boosts were far more probable than the cosmetics, but now there's nothing desirable to me that can't be had cheaper in the store or on the exchange than the cost of the shards.

Speaking of what's available in the store, and not, what happens to all the daily roll exclusive cosmetics mentioned above? Are they now completely unobtainable? Cosmetic legacy items for the people who could afford to spend more freely than us who could not or did not? I do appreciate exclusivity but not permanently unobtainable exclusivity, especially when it occurred without warning or notice to those of us who were pacing ourselves.

TL;DR

I really would like an answer to these questions:
    Why were the cosmetics removed from the roll?
    What will happen to the cosmetics only obtainable through the roll?
    And is there a chance they will return to the rolls in the future? What can I, as a consumer and avid player, do to maximize this chance?

Cosmetically yours,
    d'Tarkanan
    Last edited by dTarkanan; 09-04-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I heard they took the cosmetics out of the gold rolls becuase the player base complained about 'getting useless things' for their rolls. Sad turtle.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

I can understand people hating the 25-30% chance of collectibles, many of which don't even qualify as vendor trash, but this was a 5% chance for stuff I know at least a significant portion of players use. It seems unnecessarily punitive to those who wanted it, I guess.

Is there some sort of mention somewhere as to the cosmetics being taken out? I sincerely hope they weren't. I can't imagine why Turbine would start systematically removing the RP (or 'fluff' as those who dismiss it say) elements from the game.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    Is there some sort of mention somewhere as to the cosmetics being taken out? I sincerely hope they weren't. I can't imagine why Turbine would start systematically removing the RP (or 'fluff' as those who dismiss it say) elements from the game.
    If you check the gold roll 'distribution' in the window, the section with cosmetics is totally gone. Other than that, they haven't mentioned it in any release notes that I've seen.

oh, it's a shame. I waited obtain some cosmetics with my vip roll x_x
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Brand / Commerce Team QuartermasterX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dTarkanan View Post
    And is there a chance they will return to the rolls in the future? What can I, as a consumer and avid player, do to maximize this chance?
    We are constantly experimenting with Daily Dice and are always open to player feedback. So yes, there is a high probability cosmetics will return to gold rolls in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    We are constantly experimenting with Daily Dice and are always open to player feedback. So yes, there is a high probability cosmetics will return to gold rolls in the future.
    Unbound cosmetics would be fine in the gold roll because even if you don't like cosmetics they are tradable/sellable so you get some value. Bound...that's about as useful as a handful of kobold prayer strings.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I hope so, cosmetics were the rolls I was always hoping to get. Pets, armors, fun stuff!
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Add me to the list that really likes cosmetics in the Gold Roll loot tables. I've seen players wearing really cool outfits in the game that aren't available in the store and me want!

As long as things continue to be BtA, I'm ok with that. That said, it would be awesome to be able to get cosmetics in the AH.

/Signed to bringing back cosmetics!!
    Yes, please!
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

You've no idea how happy I am to hear that.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member

I don't know why the Cosmetic stuff was removed in the first place.

So what if someone doesn't like the pets or skins if they win it? Not everyone will be able to use every item that drops.

And what makes the removal of these items even dumber is that the addition of armor, helm and goggle skins to the DDOStore come at such a glacial pace that all this work that was clearly finished may never reach the player base again. Sure, the cosemtic pets seem to come at better pace, but if the skins were to appear in the store any slower, they'd arrive at the same rate as the Monster Manual.

Thank you for the response, QMX- I hope you'll consider this thread strong encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Unbound cosmetics would be fine in the gold roll because even if you don't like cosmetics they are tradable/sellable so you get some value. Bound...that's about as useful as a handful of kobold prayer strings.
    I think the assumption that every person will get exactly what they wanted on every daily roll is a bit excessive. Everyone playing is going to have slightly different desires from their roll. I for one, find slayer boosts completely useless, and prefer lootable mnemonics to store bought. I wouldn't mind BTAoE rather than BTAoA cosmetics, but the important part to me is having the chance at the cosmetics- auctionable premium gold roll items goes against their policy/technique up to this point, and insisting they change policy entirely (rather than a moderate reversion to previously extant methods) seems less likely to affect change. There were auctionable cosmetic pets in the roll though.

I'll say it here so you can quote on your internal reunions:

Removing cosmetics from the gold rolls is the single reason why I stopped rolling discounted gold rolls every day. Now I roll gold 1/week and silver daily. If it is necessary as an anetodic evidence, you can check my AS log and how much I spent before U19.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

I understand that there were people who complained about useless drops like the cosmetics and the collectibles...but I loved them. Maybe everyone else just got prayer beads but I got dragon scales and shroud ingredients, cannith alloys and power cells as well as really cool outfit skins. A lot of the collectible range rolls gave astral shards as well so it was often a "free" roll.

I love the xp stones, but honestly the higher level rolls are kinda a waste for me since my characters who need tomes often have them, and skill tomes are nice but you can only use so many....I would really like the outfits to come back and I wouldn't mind the collectibles and ingredients being mixed back into the two lower tiers...given that I managed to roll half a set of dragon scales, a few strings of beads weren't too big a disappointment.
    "Some things have to be believed to be seen." Ralph Hodgson

Ciarra Stormbringer Cleric/Sorceror
    Darianna Dawnbringer Wizard
    Riasha Dawnbringer Rogue/Fighter

Rhavynheart Stormbringer Cleric
    Kestryl Stormbringer Sorceror

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

The gold side cosmetics, and collectables of shroud ingrediants, shards, yellow doppant, cleansing gems, alchemical elements, etc.

Those I would like to see back again. (I don't understand why fragments don't bind but the elemental essences do bind to character.)

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    The gold side cosmetics, and collectables of shroud ingrediants, shards, yellow doppant, cleansing gems, alchemical elements, etc.

Those I would like to see back again. (I don't understand why fragments don't bind but the elemental essences do bind to character.)
    This.

...and Astral Shards. Haven't seen a shard from a roll in quite a while.

I usually only see xp potions or loot gems from the rolls as well as the haste/heroism potion. When cosmetics and these other items were in the grabs, the variety made the rolls a lot more appealing.

I was also kind of disappointed when Crystal Cove came around and I didn't see anything for it.

Please pass along my feedback in favor of having cosmetics on the Daily Dice loot tables. Thank you.
    - Founding member of The Firebrands of Caruja on Thelanis -
    Korrin Unterklippe / Miloc Maurvayne / Dinvak Massif / Iyflyn Godylyl
    (D&D player since '82)

Brand / Commerce Team QuartermasterX's Avatar

For Update 19.2, high Daily Dice rolls on the Gold Table have a chance to grant the Thinking Cap cosmetic as an additional reward.

As for Update 20, we are tentatively planning to make more improvements to Daily Dice, which may include the return of the cosmetic category

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast