Community Member

Default returning player - this is the most expensive game I ever tried

I was a subscriber for years but left a bit before the last expansion.
    1-I dont expect to play the whole game for free.
    2 -I get that I could play without some features but Im really only interested in games where I can can play the end game on a mostly even playing field.

The costs I see if i get back into the game.

-subscription
    -first expansion
    -second expansion
    -greater heroic xp tome(at least one maybe 2)
    -greater epic xp tome(at least one maybe 2)
    -the warp on log in thing
    (This is deciding to do with out the large variety of consumables also available for cash)

This is well over $100 on top of a subscription.
    Thats really just too much.

You need to get back to a program where paying $15 a month means you can earn xp as fast as anyone and you have access to conveniences bonuses in game.
    I do understand paying for expansions(new content) but you need to do like other MMos and offer all older expansion with the newest expansion for free or for cheap - such as $10.
    And I totally understand paying extra for cosmetics and I dont even mind res cakes and xp pots.
    If I could sub for 6 months and pay say ~$40 for the expansion and be totally set -that would seem cool.

Its not helping you make money when a returning or new player looks ate the cost of just being "competitive" in the end game and decides that over $100 plus subscription just isnt worth returning.
    Wherever you went - here you are.

Community Member

Default Really?

Well, first of all if you were a subscriber for years and left but have to resubscribe again to get on even footing it sounds to me like some TP was ill spent when it could have gone to some adventure packs.

But focusing on endgame, before Shadowfell came out I was able to hook a friend up with everything he needed to play at end game, Epic Destinies and all, for a solid $25. I know that's back when some of the things were on sale, but if you got rid of a lot of the things on your list that are really only luxuries ((such as the mostly pointless warping feature and all of those experience boosters)) you are still probably only looking at $50 maybe even $75 max to get the basic MoTu storyline, Shadowfell and the Epic Destiny feature to keep up with power. Along with some goodies.

Have you tried checking the DDO market? Just opening up a link I can see around for $60 you could get a huge bundle with epic destinies, experience tome, exp elixirs, Eveningstar challenges, MoTu storyline, some Turbine Points, and a BUNCH of Adventure Packs and that is also INCLUDING the price to tack on the Shadowfell expansion.

:3 Maybe still a little much, but no more than the price of a brand new console game, and definitely far cheaper than you are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartwick View Post
    I was a subscriber for years but left a bit before the last expansion.
    1-I dont expect to play the whole game for free.
    2 -I get that I could play without some features but Im really only interested in games where I can can play the end game on a mostly even playing field.

The costs I see if i get back into the game.

-subscription
    -first expansion
    -second expansion
    -greater heroic xp tome(at least one maybe 2)
    -greater epic xp tome(at least one maybe 2)
    -the warp on log in thing
    (This is deciding to do with out the large variety of consumables also available for cash)

This is well over $100 on top of a subscription.
    Thats really just too much.

You need to get back to a program where paying $15 a month means you can earn xp as fast as anyone and you have access to conveniences bonuses in game.
    I do understand paying for expansions(new content) but you need to do like other MMos and offer all older expansion with the newest expansion for free or for cheap - such as $10.
    And I totally understand paying extra for cosmetics and I dont even mind res cakes and xp pots.
    If I could sub for 6 months and pay say ~$40 for the expansion and be totally set -that would seem cool.

Its not helping you make money when a returning or new player looks ate the cost of just being "competitive" in the end game and decides that over $100 plus subscription just isnt worth returning.
    Who are you competing with? Only things I have from your list are: 1st expansion & 2 Greater heroic xp tomes (purchased with earned points).

Lol Most expensive game? You must not have tried WoW. I have a friend who plays that, it costs him waaaaayyyyyy more for that than I pay for DDO. WoW: you buy the game, and rent permission to play it. DDO: you buy what you want, and it's yours to play if you never spend another cent again, unless you want more.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

WoW: buy game for $20-$50, buy each of 4 expansions for $20-$50 each, after having to buy that, you must then subscribe in order to play. It is way way more expensive.

But if it was never one you tried, then more power to you, you didn't miss anything good.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

I think that there is some call for a package that would include both expansions and make for a more reasonable entry into the game.

Community Member

If you buy Shadowfell for 30$, you get 50% off MotU standard edition - 35$ down to 17.50$.

Those 47.50$ get you:
    2000tp - Plenty for Vale of Twilight and Gianthold, get some good sales and save a few points and you can add in Demon Sands
    Vet level 4, Iconic Bladeforged, Druid Class, Epic Destinies, and an extra character slot.
    2 Shadowfell Packs, 3 Eveningstar Packs, 1 Challenge Pack, and 4 Eberron Classics (Attack on Stormreach, Carnival, and Inspired Quarter/Dreaming Dar) = 10 adventure packs.
    +1 Skill Tome on each character, and once per server: Greater Heroic Experience tome, Lesser Epic Experience Tome

This is how I think you're supposed to buy in the game these days.
    Thelanis: Ikeren --- Paladin, Life 2 (Past Life: Cleric). Dylas --- Cleric late teens, Life 1.

just went to the DDO Market to check on prices:

DDO - FREE

Menace of the Underdark $19.99
    (gives content + Epic Destinies + Lesser Tome of Learning)

Shadowfell Conspiracy $29.99
    (gives content + Dragon Knight Iconic + lesser Epic tome of learning + + skill tome + 1000 TP)

THUS:

Game + both expansions $49.98 and No subscription fee

<shrugs> Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Community Member

Discount shoppers unite!

Shopping around=always getting the best deals. I see loads of awesome bargains.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daine View Post
    just went to the DDO Market to check on prices:

DDO - FREE

Menace of the Underdark $19.99
    (gives content + Epic Destinies + Lesser Tome of Learning)

Shadowfell Conspiracy $29.99
    (gives content + Dragon Knight Iconic + lesser Epic tome of learning + + skill tome + 1000 TP)

THUS:

Game + both expansions $49.98 and No subscription fee

<shrugs> Seems pretty reasonable to me.
    I agree and I am brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself
    In the Market you can buy the Standard edition Shadowfell package, and add-on Menace for half price. $47.98 gets you:

Shadowfell.
    Menace
    Epic Destinies
    Druid
    Estar Challenges
    Phiarlan Carnival
    Assault on Stormreach
    IQ
    DD
    2,000 TP
    +1 Character Slot
    1 Greater tome of Learning (Heroic)
    1 lesser tome of Epic Learning
    Cosmetics and fluff not really worth mentioning.

For 50 bucks? Not bad for a lot of content and TP.
    Or... wut CE2JRH123 said...

The new expansion misses one adventurepack and a raid. All it is are two adventurepacks sold at expansion price.

You make me run von3 all night to get appropriate xp for leveling.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

Community Member

Well as I look at the store Im totally missing this sale that reduces the price of the first expansion if you buy the second one.

Community Member

This is all you need:

-subscription
    -first expansion

This is "needed":
    -second expansion

Dump the rest of the junk you want and you bring your costs down dramatically. Still, you should be able to find a good deal on the DDO Marketplace and get what you want, what you "need", and what you need. The tomes of learning are completely optional and the warp on login thing is basically useless.

Community Member

The other game I used to play before I found DDO was called Pox Nora. I like it, but it is orders of magnitude more expensive than this game is. I am premium, and spent some money, maybe in the $40-60 range, the first year I played. The second year, I bought the MotU collector edition at full price, but that was all I had to spend. about 16 months later, I bought this new expansion at full price. At this point I have all of the adventure packs that I want. There are still four or five that I may still pick up at some point, but I don't feel they're strictly necessary. And I still have about 1700 TP available for when I need them. Oh, and I have the half-elf race, and the monk and artificer classes as well (druid came with MotU). All things considered, from the perspective of someone coming from Pox Nora, this game is a bargain.

Pox Nora is like a combination of a collectible card game and chess. Very fun, but you're constantly having to obtain more materials to keep up with the rest of the players.

Community Member

None of that is needed, making your complaint invalid as it is based on a flawed premise.

You don't need the second expansion, at least not at first.

You only need the first expansion if you get over level 20 and really like the game.

Sub is $99 a year.

XP tomes - not needed.

Come on man, keep it real.

You think the game is too expensive based on your self imposed power gamer drivel?

Classy.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CE2JRH123 View Post
    If you buy Shadowfell for 30$, you get 50% off MotU standard edition - 35$ down to 17.50$.

Those 47.50$ get you:
    2000tp - Plenty for Vale of Twilight and Gianthold, get some good sales and save a few points and you can add in Demon Sands
    Vet level 4, Iconic Bladeforged, Druid Class, Epic Destinies, and an extra character slot.
    2 Shadowfell Packs, 3 Eveningstar Packs, 1 Challenge Pack, and 4 Eberron Classics (Attack on Stormreach, Carnival, and Inspired Quarter/Dreaming Dar) = 10 adventure packs.
    +1 Skill Tome on each character, and once per server: Greater Heroic Experience tome, Lesser Epic Experience Tome

This is how I think you're supposed to buy in the game these days.
    seriously where do you buy this?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    You think the game is too expensive based on your self imposed power gamer drivel?

Classy.
    About as classy as your response? Or, errm, sorry. You must be way classier than this..

No, not rly, nvm, sry. You're not.

Game can be expensive I try to wait thing out until they go on sale or in bundles.

Community Member

1) Go to URL: https://www.ddo.com/en/store
    2) Click Store---> DDO Market
    3) Click Expansion Packs
    4) Scroll down to Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Shadowfell Conspiracy™ Standard Edition - Digital Download - Click Add to Cart
    5) Look for "SPECIAL OFFER: Save 50% on Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Menace of the Underdark™ Standard Edition when you buy it with Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Shadowfell Conspiracy™! A $34.99 value for $17.49!" - There is a button beside it. Click "add"

Click "checkout"

That should be somewhere more obvious for a "New players package" like in big bold letters somewhere, though.
    Thelanis: Ikeren --- Paladin, Life 2 (Past Life: Cleric). Dylas --- Cleric late teens, Life 1.