Results 1 to 20 of 20

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    953

    Default returning player - this is the most expensive game I ever tried

    I was a subscriber for years but left a bit before the last expansion.
    1-I dont expect to play the whole game for free.
    2 -I get that I could play without some features but Im really only interested in games where I can can play the end game on a mostly even playing field.


    The costs I see if i get back into the game.

    -subscription
    -first expansion
    -second expansion
    -greater heroic xp tome(at least one maybe 2)
    -greater epic xp tome(at least one maybe 2)
    -the warp on log in thing
    (This is deciding to do with out the large variety of consumables also available for cash)

    This is well over $100 on top of a subscription.
    Thats really just too much.


    You need to get back to a program where paying $15 a month means you can earn xp as fast as anyone and you have access to conveniences bonuses in game.
    I do understand paying for expansions(new content) but you need to do like other MMos and offer all older expansion with the newest expansion for free or for cheap - such as $10.
    And I totally understand paying extra for cosmetics and I dont even mind res cakes and xp pots.
    If I could sub for 6 months and pay say ~$40 for the expansion and be totally set -that would seem cool.




    Its not helping you make money when a returning or new player looks ate the cost of just being "competitive" in the end game and decides that over $100 plus subscription just isnt worth returning.
    Wherever you went - here you are.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    90

    Default Really?

    Well, first of all if you were a subscriber for years and left but have to resubscribe again to get on even footing it sounds to me like some TP was ill spent when it could have gone to some adventure packs.

    But focusing on endgame, before Shadowfell came out I was able to hook a friend up with everything he needed to play at end game, Epic Destinies and all, for a solid $25. I know that's back when some of the things were on sale, but if you got rid of a lot of the things on your list that are really only luxuries ((such as the mostly pointless warping feature and all of those experience boosters)) you are still probably only looking at $50 maybe even $75 max to get the basic MoTu storyline, Shadowfell and the Epic Destiny feature to keep up with power. Along with some goodies.

    Have you tried checking the DDO market? Just opening up a link I can see around for $60 you could get a huge bundle with epic destinies, experience tome, exp elixirs, Eveningstar challenges, MoTu storyline, some Turbine Points, and a BUNCH of Adventure Packs and that is also INCLUDING the price to tack on the Shadowfell expansion.

    :3 Maybe still a little much, but no more than the price of a brand new console game, and definitely far cheaper than you are making it out to be.

  3. #3
    Community Member PermaBanned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dartwick View Post
    I was a subscriber for years but left a bit before the last expansion.
    1-I dont expect to play the whole game for free.
    2 -I get that I could play without some features but Im really only interested in games where I can can play the end game on a mostly even playing field.


    The costs I see if i get back into the game.

    -subscription
    -first expansion
    -second expansion
    -greater heroic xp tome(at least one maybe 2)
    -greater epic xp tome(at least one maybe 2)
    -the warp on log in thing
    (This is deciding to do with out the large variety of consumables also available for cash)

    This is well over $100 on top of a subscription.
    Thats really just too much.


    You need to get back to a program where paying $15 a month means you can earn xp as fast as anyone and you have access to conveniences bonuses in game.
    I do understand paying for expansions(new content) but you need to do like other MMos and offer all older expansion with the newest expansion for free or for cheap - such as $10.
    And I totally understand paying extra for cosmetics and I dont even mind res cakes and xp pots.
    If I could sub for 6 months and pay say ~$40 for the expansion and be totally set -that would seem cool.




    Its not helping you make money when a returning or new player looks ate the cost of just being "competitive" in the end game and decides that over $100 plus subscription just isnt worth returning.
    Who are you competing with? Only things I have from your list are: 1st expansion & 2 Greater heroic xp tomes (purchased with earned points).

    Lol Most expensive game? You must not have tried WoW. I have a friend who plays that, it costs him waaaaayyyyyy more for that than I pay for DDO. WoW: you buy the game, and rent permission to play it. DDO: you buy what you want, and it's yours to play if you never spend another cent again, unless you want more.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

  4. #4
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    WoW: buy game for $20-$50, buy each of 4 expansions for $20-$50 each, after having to buy that, you must then subscribe in order to play. It is way way more expensive.

    But if it was never one you tried, then more power to you, you didn't miss anything good.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  5. #5
    Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canada / G-Land
    Posts
    1,540

    Default

    I think that there is some call for a package that would include both expansions and make for a more reasonable entry into the game.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    356

    Default

    If you buy Shadowfell for 30$, you get 50% off MotU standard edition - 35$ down to 17.50$.

    Those 47.50$ get you:
    2000tp - Plenty for Vale of Twilight and Gianthold, get some good sales and save a few points and you can add in Demon Sands
    Vet level 4, Iconic Bladeforged, Druid Class, Epic Destinies, and an extra character slot.
    2 Shadowfell Packs, 3 Eveningstar Packs, 1 Challenge Pack, and 4 Eberron Classics (Attack on Stormreach, Carnival, and Inspired Quarter/Dreaming Dar) = 10 adventure packs.
    +1 Skill Tome on each character, and once per server: Greater Heroic Experience tome, Lesser Epic Experience Tome

    This is how I think you're supposed to buy in the game these days.
    Thelanis: Ikeren --- Paladin, Life 2 (Past Life: Cleric). Dylas --- Cleric late teens, Life 1.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CE2JRH123 View Post
    If you buy Shadowfell for 30$, you get 50% off MotU standard edition - 35$ down to 17.50$.

    Those 47.50$ get you:
    2000tp - Plenty for Vale of Twilight and Gianthold, get some good sales and save a few points and you can add in Demon Sands
    Vet level 4, Iconic Bladeforged, Druid Class, Epic Destinies, and an extra character slot.
    2 Shadowfell Packs, 3 Eveningstar Packs, 1 Challenge Pack, and 4 Eberron Classics (Attack on Stormreach, Carnival, and Inspired Quarter/Dreaming Dar) = 10 adventure packs.
    +1 Skill Tome on each character, and once per server: Greater Heroic Experience tome, Lesser Epic Experience Tome

    This is how I think you're supposed to buy in the game these days.
    seriously where do you buy this?
    Wherever you went - here you are.

  8. #8
    Community Member Daine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    711

    Default

    just went to the DDO Market to check on prices:

    DDO - FREE

    Menace of the Underdark $19.99
    (gives content + Epic Destinies + Lesser Tome of Learning)

    Shadowfell Conspiracy $29.99
    (gives content + Dragon Knight Iconic + lesser Epic tome of learning + + skill tome + 1000 TP)

    THUS:

    Game + both expansions $49.98 and No subscription fee

    <shrugs> Seems pretty reasonable to me.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Discount shoppers unite!

    Shopping around=always getting the best deals. I see loads of awesome bargains.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daine View Post
    just went to the DDO Market to check on prices:

    DDO - FREE

    Menace of the Underdark $19.99
    (gives content + Epic Destinies + Lesser Tome of Learning)

    Shadowfell Conspiracy $29.99
    (gives content + Dragon Knight Iconic + lesser Epic tome of learning + + skill tome + 1000 TP)

    THUS:

    Game + both expansions $49.98 and No subscription fee

    <shrugs> Seems pretty reasonable to me.
    I agree and I am brand new.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload