Thread: PDK building

Default PDK building

Okay I like trying to build thematic builds and that seems to me to be the idea behind the Iconics. The one I am having the hardest time doing though, is the PDK. I really really want to make use of the cormyr knights training that allows cha to hit and damage for swords, but I think I need some help from some expert number's crunchers to do this.

Now I know that you can get str much higher than cha, so for max DPS str is better than cha, but hear me out if you will. That enhancement has one other thing. It is supposed to add 1/3 of your cha bonus to your tactics DCs if your cha is higher than your str. So I want to build it so that my cha just barely stays ahead of my strength to get the most out of both stats for the tactics DCs. This will, hopefully, let me get some higher-than-otherwise-possible tactics DCs, and make a fighter that specializes in said tactics.

The other thing I need help with is specifics on how tactics work. I have a number of specific questions.
    1-Do tactics proc on glancing blows in any way, even if it is just the same % chance that magical effects have to proc?

2-Do tactics proc on off hand attacks?

3-Are monk tactical abilities usable while wielding a weapon? if any are, which ones?

4-if I am only splashing monk, will the DCs likely be too low to be worthwhile?

5-Any useful advice that I may not be thinking to ask about?

Then some thoughts on the level split:
    A- pure fighter, get capstone for +2 DCs, and tons of feats to do whatever I want with.
    B- fighter 12/barbarian 4/bard 4, extra strength bonuses, extra CC and buffs, and ravager has some nice debuffing ability
    C- fighter 12/monk 8, get the monk stuns and such to have even more tactical things. this is of course dependant on the answer to one of the above questions

For skills I plan on trying to maximise both bluff and intimidate because both have uses in controlling your opponent, which seems to fit the theme of a tactics build. After that it will be the standard umd/balance and preform if I have bard levels or concentration if I have monk levels.

I plan on going legendary dreadnaught at the epic levels and because of that plan to spend alot of points on the PDK action boost bonuses, with extra stats and temp HP.

Any thing that will help me optimize this thematic build would be appreciated. I know it probably won't be the max-uber-king-of-all-it-surveys but I would like to optimize the idea before I try it out. Thanks for any help in advance.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Following this thread with interest.

Was heading along the Fighter/Paly or fighter/paly/rog(or monk).

Primarily CHA based as I wasn't thinking so much about the Tactics side. Would Divine Might help shore up your tactics DC allowing a lower STR score?

Already liking some of your initial ideas.

May have to a serious think....
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    It is supposed to add 1/3 of your cha bonus to your tactics DCs if your cha is higher than your str. So I want to build it so that my cha just barely stays ahead of my strength to get the most out of both stats for the tactics DCs. This will, hopefully, let me get some higher-than-otherwise-possible tactics DCs, and make a fighter that specializes in said tactics.
    Or you could make a STR-based PDK ftr / pally with both Power Surge (+8 STR -> +4 DCs) and Divine Might (CHA bonus feeds directly into STR, which means DC bonus equal to 1/2 your CHA bonus instead of 1/3). If you come up with a CHA-based build which works better than that, I'm all ears...err, eyes.

Well that is one of the reasons I would like to see some number crunching on it. I am fairly newly returned to the game and am not sure about what endgame str scores should look like right now, nor do I know what end game gear is like at the moment.

One of the things I would like help on is figuring out the highest possible DCs going charisma based, then see if it is higher or lower than going strength based would get me.

The main point of this is to try to figure out how to use that knight training as efficiently as possible, but to use it... otherwise there would be better options than pdk to make the build. At least that is my hope.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

The only thing I could come up with was putting a bunch of point into Cha; taking PDK enhancements to get bonuses from Cha; maxing Intimidate and UMD.

Another possibility is multiclassing with a class that gains from Cha.

But remember, that Heavy Armor weighs a lot, so you still need some points in Str.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    The only thing I could come up with was putting a bunch of point into Cha; taking PDK enhancements to get bonuses from Cha; maxing Intimidate and UMD.

Another possibility is multiclassing with a class that gains from Cha.

But remember, that Heavy Armor weighs a lot, so you still need some points in Str.
    I assume this is a response to my last post, but I would like to point out that reminding me to do things I say I am planning to do in my OP isn't really very helpful. (OP says I was planning on maxing intimi and umd, and that I was planning on having strength just barely less than charisma) I hope you at least paid some attention to my OP, but your post doesn't give me much hope that you did.

As to multiclassing with some class that gains from cha, well that is paladin or bard, which I might do; or it is sorceror or favored soul, which I won't do. Not wanting a tukaw variant, and a tactics FvS would be sooo far into the realm of gimp it would be pathetic (building for tactics on a class that could build spell DCs instead lol). And I don't want a blaster that swings a sword either, so those two are out. To be honest I wish I could do both paladin and bard, as that would be golden.

I appreciate your good intentions in trying to suggest something, but please don't suggest something so far different from my original concept as to be an entirely different playstyle. It won't actually help me get where I am trying to go. (not saying you did, as you were not really specific, just throwing that out there to try to keep this on track as much as possible)
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-03-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    Matt Walsh:

Okay, here is what I am thinking so far
    12 fighter-feats, tactics DCs, strength surge
    6 paladin-saves, divine might
    2 monk-evasion, feats

str 15+3levelup+5tome+10item+1exceptional(+3action boost+8psionic+?divine might)
    dex 15+5tome+10item(+3action boost)
    con 14+5tome+10item(+3action boost)
    int 10+5tome+10item
    wis 8+5tome+10item
    cha 15+4level ups+5tome+10item+3insight+1exceptional(+3action boost)

Am I missing anything in those stats?

Okay the idea is to have the knights training as backup mainly. I tend to solo often and having the 1/3 as a perma backup for when my other boosts run out between shrines seems like a good option. I put three levelups into strength to qualify for overwhelming critical. The rest of the level ups are in charisma for the purpose of the knights training and for defenses (saves, skills). This could change if someone wants to show me a good enough reason.

Feats:

1 human
    stunning blow

2 monk
    power attack
    twf

7 normal
    cleave
    itwf
    gtwf
    otwf
    combat expertise
    improved trip
    sap

7 fighter
    improved sunder
    weapon focus
    weapon specialization
    greater weapon focus
    greater weapon specialization
    improved critical
    great cleave

3? epic (not sure how many, but I know at least two and assume at least 3)
    overwhelming critical
    tactician
    perfect two weapon fighting

Let me know if I screwed up anything on the feats.

I decided on two weapon fighting so that I could use two weapons that boost my tactics. I believe I should go with one that boosts stunning and one that boosts tripping. My reasoning is that sundering strikes and sunder's stacking fort save debuff will take care of any problems I have sundering. My experience with it tells me that it should be fine.

Skills
    umd-i solo, its required, and this is a high charisma build so why not?
    bluff-more applications than most even know of, mob control (see intimdate for reason)
    intimidate-for mob control (it may not disable, but it sure as heck does control them)

Extra points go to balance, or whatever else I may think I need.

DCs:
    I will calculate these when someone can help me verify and optimize my numbers. Strength and charisma scores will be adjusted by what we find here.

Str based while all the various boosts are still remaining:

Cha based when str boosts used up:

Okay, tear it down, build it up!
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-04-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Matt Walsh:

Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

My take on the PDK build ad using the charisma modifier. 1 PDK fighter, 19 bard. Allows absolutely max casting potential and max to hit damage at the same time. I've tested this build and it works fairly well. Decent dps, excellent crowd control and above average healing...not to mention all the bard song goodies.