Community Member

Default Comparing Enthrallment and Fascinate

Hi All

Do Haunting Melody and Sharp Note affect Enthrallment. I'm assuming they don't, since their descriptions only mention Fascinate. This being the case, what is the benefit of Enthrallment?

With full Haunting Melody and Sharp Note, fascinated monsters suffer -2 saves, skills and attacks for 60s, and allies do them +3 dmg for 30s. Enthrallment may last longer (after 6th level), but all it does is give a -2 will save and attack penalty.

It looks as if Fascinate is more effective, if more short-lived. What's more, if things work as they used to, Suggestion can be used on fascinated but not enthralled monsters. Enthrallment is starting to look like little more than a 2 AP stepping stone to Sustaining Song.

Is there something I'm failing to understand here?

[Edit: My own tests certainly suggest the sharp note does not go off when using enthrallment, and couldn't see the ghost face visuals associated with with haunting melody, so looks like enthrallment is inferior to fascinate with sharp note and haunting melody; the upshot being don't bother using enthrallment, just consider it a 2AP down payment on sustaining song, or save 4AP and don't fully invest in sharp note or haunting melody, in which case enthrallment will be superior to fascinate. Bit poor, but those are my findings. Would be interested to hear if others have different experience.]
    Last edited by Badmash; 09-04-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Community Member

Enthrall does not seem to always break on damage, but I'm not sure what the chances of it staying on are. It does not seem to benefit from music of the ___ talents, but the one time I tried it, it did allow for Suggestion, oddly.

Community Member

I've not been able to use Suggestion after Enthrallment; it still only works after Fascinate. I noticed that Sharp Note/Haunting only works with Fascinate. So, I've been using Enthrall first, then Fascinate to get the haunting effect, but I don't really see it working quite right.

I do like the idea of the increasing power of Fascinate, and I strongly believe that it should just include Enthrallment (like the Music of the ____) when you put a point into Enthrallment. And I don't like it that Enthrall is a requirement for Sustaining Song.

I'm just waiting for fix to the extra songs on the Spellsinger tree so that I can get my songs back. I'm also wondering how I lost 2 minutes on my songs on my level 25.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kryscendo View Post
    I've not been able to use Suggestion after Enthrallment; it still only works after Fascinate. I noticed that Sharp Note/Haunting only works with Fascinate. So, I've been using Enthrall first, then Fascinate to get the haunting effect, but I don't really see it working quite right.

I do like the idea of the increasing power of Fascinate, and I strongly believe that it should just include Enthrallment (like the Music of the ____) when you put a point into Enthrallment. And I don't like it that Enthrall is a requirement for Sustaining Song.

I'm just waiting for fix to the extra songs on the Spellsinger tree so that I can get my songs back. I'm also wondering how I lost 2 minutes on my songs on my level 25.
    Fascinate always breaks on any damage. Enthrall just breaks on an additional save. In practice, one good DPS is going to break enthrall real fast like, but looking at something funny breaks fascinate so there is a definite benefit.

As for songs, anyone who was virtuoso speced lost tons
    . Generic enhancements for additional songs and song length both got dropped noticably, a casualty to the merger of virt and spellsinger. (I wasn't terribly happy about it.)

So... just to be clear:

Do, or do not, the passives that boost fascinate also boost enthrallment, or do I need to be putting both back on my hotbar?

Its good that they've removed the need for extra stuff on my hotbar, but I'd much rather just have the one 'hypnotise anything' button if I'm honest. Still no biggie really, I've still gone from 4 abilities on the hotbar for two, and fascinate has just got a massive boost if you're in a mixed crowd of mobs.

I'm one of the virtuoso's who at least initially felt like I'd lost out on lots. Especially having to wait for so many levels to get my regenerating songs. On the other hand, I can now take spellsong trance as well, which I think more than offsets it. In terms of power anyway. In terms of flavour, Spellsinger and Virt just got merged, but you still have to kind of choose between them because of the 'improve casting or improve #songs' choice enhancements. Plus side, when I get to 18 and get my regenning songs I can respec and change my +1 song to the spellcaster one instead.

My cleric really lost out though - after the equipment pass he could no longer wear his armour, shield or his main/offhand healing equipment because they all jumped from ML13 to ML16 (cleric is 13). And he had 10K plat to his name (because I just spent all my plat on making my gear before the pass...) so I can't even replace with level appropriate gear. Sad Panda.
    Last edited by dunklezhan; 09-14-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post

Do, or do not, the passives that boost fascinate also boost enthrallment, or do I need to be putting both back on my hotbar?
    Anyone?
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Community Member

I didn't put the passive stuff on my hotbars. Once you sing, the passive stuff shows up in your buff line acrosee the top.

Community Member

oops ... across.

In an effort to better utlilize my enhancement oints, I have one of my former virtuosos testing out Enthrall vs and unhanced Fascinate ...

As a virtuoso, once I got Enthrall, I never used Fascinate and took it off my hotbar. Now, I'm trying to figure out if it's all just redundant.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kryscendo View Post
    oops ... across.

In an effort to better utlilize my enhancement points, I have one of my former virtuosos testing out Enthrall vs an unenhanced Fascinate ...

As a virtuoso, once I got Enthrall, I never used Fascinate and took it off my hotbar. Now, I'm trying to figure out if it's all just redundant.

Sorry about the typos ... my keyboard is being cat-friendly.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    Anyone?
    Sorry I haven't replied for a while. As far as I can tell, enthrallment gets absolutely no benefit whatsoever from sharp note or haunting song. Nada. Zilch. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but there you go.

So, my opinion is either you invest in sharp note and haunting songs and rely on fascinate (though as previous posters note, this breaks on the first blow), or you put the minimum into them necessary and go with enthrallment.

Edit: and if you go with enthrallment, I'm assuming the oozes/undead/constructs core enhancements will also do nothing other than give you a small incremental skills bonus (which is not worthless, but still...).
    Last edited by Badmash; 09-15-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badmash View Post
    Sorry I haven't replied for a while. As far as I can tell, enthrallment gets absolutely no benefit whatsoever from sharp note or haunting song. Nada. Zilch. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but there you go.

So, my opinion is either you invest in sharp note and haunting songs and rely on fascinate (though as previous posters note, this breaks on the first blow), or you put the minimum into them necessary and go with enthrallment.

Edit: and if you go with enthrallment, I'm assuming the oozes/undead/constructs core enhancements will also do nothing other than give you a small incremental skills bonus (which is not worthless, but still...).
    Thanks, saved me making egregiously fatal errors while experimenting for myself

To be honest, my 'spelltuoso' is way better than the virtuoso I had, and it is less buttons overall on the hotbar... so now I can fit all the ex spellsinger songs on too. Now if only I can get people to wait long enough to get the buffs and make use of the CC...