Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Why do the new Wheloon loots bind to character on acquire?

More inv space gobbled up until I can use them.

LOVERLY!

This is confusing to me as Turbine seems to be waffling back and forth between BtA, BtCOE and BoA. The Stormhorns end reward loot is like this as well. Yes, the items are in your reward list every time, but it is very silly not to be able to take an item and pass it to an alt. Everyone I have played with has expressed disappointment at this. At the very least these items should be bind on equip. All of this loot looks like quick and dirty twink gear. Most well equipped characters will have no need for most of it on their mains and may like the odd piece for an under geared alt. It'd be nice if there was a rhyme or reason to how binding of loot is decided.
    Persius, Equus, Maeric, Khaaldun, Robotcoupe
    The Exploration Society ~ Thelanis

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_D'Arabel View Post
    This is confusing to me as Turbine seems to be waffling back and forth between BtA, BtCOE and BoA. The Stormhorns end reward loot is like this as well. Yes, the items are in your reward list every time, but it is very silly not to be able to take an item and pass it to an alt. Everyone I have played with has expressed disappointment at this. At the very least these items should be bind on equip. All of this loot looks like quick and dirty twink gear. Most well equipped characters will have no need for most of it on their mains and may like the odd piece for an under geared alt. It'd be nice if there was a rhyme or reason to how binding of loot is decided.
    They're system seems to be moving away from endgame and into a TRing focus, so this isn't an issue. They expect you to TR your main many times. This is how we are going to see the game designed now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    They're system seems to be moving away from endgame and into a TRing focus, so this isn't an issue. They expect you to TR your main many times. This is how we are going to see the game designed now.
    I dunno, I think maybe it's to give the new players creating the iconic characters some tasty items. And with the new enhancement system and the Epic Destinies, it seems that the importance of TR'ing has been diminished a bit.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    I dunno, I think maybe it's to give the new players creating the iconic characters some tasty items. And with the new enhancement system and the Epic Destinies, it seems that the importance of TR'ing has been diminished a bit.
    I don't know. New TR system in u20, XP ransack changes, sweeping gear changes that makes high-level raid gear completely obsolete. Seems like they don't want people sitting at cap grinding, since they've removed all benefits of doing so.

Community Member

I don't know. New TR system in u20, XP ransack changes, sweeping gear changes that makes high-level raid gear completely obsolete. Seems like they don't want people sitting at cap grinding, since they've removed all benefits of doing so.
    I've heard 2 guildies praise and condemn the new XP ransack changes. Both are TR fanatics. One loves it and says it makes TR'ing less grindy, the other hates it, says it ruined the game for him.
    I'm not sure either way just yet. I've only got one TR'd toon, and he's only a 3rd lifer. I don't have nearly enough experience with TR'ing to know.

I've heard 2 guildies praise and condemn the new XP ransack changes. Both are TR fanatics. One loves it and says it makes TR'ing less grindy, the other hates it, says it ruined the game for him.
    I'm not sure either way just yet. I've only got one TR'd toon, and he's only a 3rd lifer. I don't have nearly enough experience with TR'ing to know.
    If you understand how the xp ransack works you can plan for it and get more out of it than was possible before. If you do not have a very good understanding of it, it can screw up your plans. Most of the people I know can maintain a 2k xp per minute rate easily because of it, if they want.

For those of us that do not farm but are a once and done sort, it is a perma 20% bonus xp, it is awesome.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

The changes didn't hurt TRing as much, and in some cases helped it. You can only TR as often as Turbine allows you, which is one a week. This goal can be easily reached. It hurt endgame grinding because there was no Turbine-created cap on how quickly you could grind through EDs and reach cap.

I assume the items are BtCoA because A) the show up every time and B) they are fairly powerful for their level. Although, I will admit that what "fairly powerful for their level" means is undergoing a fairly significant change. However, it is the same rationale they used for the Fens loot. It was powerful for its level and its drop rate was very high.

Personally, I just hope it is a move away from the the loot variations by run level design. I hate that one.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    I assume the items are BtCoA because A) the show up every time and B) they are fairly powerful for their level. Although, I will admit that what "fairly powerful for their level" means is undergoing a fairly significant change. However, it is the same rationale they used for the Fens loot. It was powerful for its level and its drop rate was very high.

Personally, I just hope it is a move away from the the loot variations by run level design. I hate that one.
    I don't remember the Fens loot drop rate being very high, it took me FOREVER to get the Marsh walker set with the last toon I ran in the Fens just to get set items.
    But that was a couple of years ago. And I never farmed it very much since then. Just Claw occasionally for xp.
    It was always sporadic.
    Kinda the same way now I guess.

I don't remember the Fens loot drop rate being very high, it took me FOREVER to get the Marsh walker set with the last toon I ran in the Fens just to get set items.
    But that was a couple of years ago. And I never farmed it very much since then. Just Claw occasionally for xp.
    It was always sporadic.
    Kinda the same way now I guess.
    Really? Seemed to me that each unit dropped 50% of the time in end rewards. That is, entirely, anecdotal.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    Really? Seemed to me that each unit dropped 50% of the time in end rewards. That is, entirely, anecdotal.

You could be absolutely right, like I said, it's been 2 years since I farmed the Fens for set items. And even then it wasn't steady.
    BTW, Into the Deeps is still one of my favorite quests.

More inv space gobbled up until I can use them.

LOVERLY!
    Personally I wish they'd do something like a comm unlock system like MOTU. Where you could go to the skirmish etc vendor and buy it using skirmish comms etc. There should be a reasonable grind involved - instead you automatically get it and only need to meet the minimum ML. It's no reason to play the quest twice, or even find rare encounters in the wilderness.

Second, there should be some type of set bonus that you can unlock with heroic comms. Where for every piece you add and unlock you get a progressively better set bonus. Provided that the pieces comes from the same type. Although it should be possible to use say 4 pieces, 2 from 2 diff types and therefore get 2 diff small set bonuses. Again requiring unlock and grind of comms.

What was the benefit of sitting at cap grinding in the first place?

What they did was ADDED benefit to attaining the new gear. Its much better than an entire new expansion coming out and the old gear isnt even worth grinding because its same as or worse than the previous gear we already attained.

An example of this is when they added house P and D epics after von and sands epics were already in game for a while, and none of the gear was better than the previous stuff. This is one of the major reasons the first epic model failed.

XP ransack is also in the top 5 for best things that ever happened to DDO. Some of us have been suggesting this for a while now and they finally listened. I can get full XP out of every epic quest every day as long as I run each one 2x or less the previous day. This handedly defeats grinding the same 2 quests over and over again at cap level. Took the benefits of grinding away? More like removed the need to grind the same thing over and over completely.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    What was the benefit of sitting at cap grinding in the first place?

What they did was ADDED benefit to attaining the new gear. Its much better than an entire new expansion coming out and the old gear isnt even worth grinding because its same as or worse than the previous gear we already attained.

An example of this is when they added house P and D epics after von and sands epics were already in game for a while, and none of the gear was better than the previous stuff. This is one of the major reasons the first epic model failed.

XP ransack is also in the top 5 for best things that ever happened to DDO. Some of us have been suggesting this for a while now and they finally listened. I can get full XP out of every epic quest every day as long as I run each one 2x or less the previous day. This handedly defeats grinding the same 2 quests over and over again at cap level. Took the benefits of grinding away? More like removed the need to grind the same thing over and over completely.

I'm not debating whether the xp ransack was a good change or not. I'm simply saying that in epic levels, it causes some people to gain XP slower, and this can slow down their progress from what it was before. This isn't the case in heroics, because you only progressed a life a week anyway. People that could previously max all destinies in a weekend can no longer do that, meaning there's nothing to do in epics for them. Might as well just TR and do a destiny a life.

Surprised this stuff binds on acquire, means it can't be sold on the Shard Exchange and goes completely against what Turbine had been doing for months.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Those new items aren't particularly powerful if you're running an Iconic.

Most of them are vendor trash unless you're farming them with specific TR plans... which is currently impossible for Iconics.

I'm not debating whether the xp ransack was a good change or not. I'm simply saying that in epic levels, it causes some people to gain XP slower, and this can slow down their progress from what it was before. This isn't the case in heroics, because you only progressed a life a week anyway. People that could previously max all destinies in a weekend can no longer do that, meaning there's nothing to do in epics for them. Might as well just TR and do a destiny a life.
    You know its getting bad when maxing all destinies in one weekend by running the same quest in 1-2 minutes over and over again is the best way to level destinies. The fact that we were calling that "progress" is scary, especially when on a forum where WOW and EQ get made fun of regularly to point out how games should NOT be so grindy.

There is actually more to do in epics for them now than there was then. Leveling all destinies in one weekend killed any reason to gain XP after 2 days of plowing the same quest over and over again. Now they can gain XP at a steady rate, having more to do in epics for a longer time. This is what happens when we complain about grind for too long. They remove the grind, and we complain that we want our grind back.

I will also add that having 2 quests (maybe more) that can be completed in 1 minute or so is hilarious. Are we calling sending someone down the hall to use a weapon crate, ddoor back, then killing one boss drow "having something to do in epics" or defining that as "progress"? The fact that Turbine left this the way it was for a long time conditioned people to believe that this is what the game should be.

Dont be surprised if they put a quest ransack timer reset in the store for 75 points or so.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    There is actually more to do in epics for them now than there was then.
    More to do but less worth doing. if quests don't drop loot worth a damn they aren't worth running over those that can.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    More to do but less worth doing. if quests don't drop loot worth a damn they aren't worth running over those that can.
    These were the individual quest rewards.
    I ended up taking guild renown instead about half the time. But the chain end rewards, those are btcoe and very very tasty.
    I guess I should have been more clear in my OP. Apologies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast