Community Member

Default Have not played in 1 year--All new to me-Advice on making a Paladin!

I have not played in about a year and I wanted to make anew paladin but all the old sites I check for how to do so are outdated with all the old info!

I see there was a patch that lets classes now have skill trees and I keep hear talk of Past Lives and that can change how you make your character!

So I want to make a new Paladin--I always liked Two Handed Fighting with khopesh! After that with all this new stuff im not sure what to do--Ive read a lot of the forum messages and there is Fighter of the Dead?? or something!

Does anybody have a site or could explain how to make a good character from stat points at the start to why you would multi class and so on please!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Demise305 View Post
    I have not played in about a year and I wanted to make anew paladin but all the old sites I check for how to do so are outdated with all the old info!

I see there was a patch that lets classes now have skill trees and I keep hear talk of Past Lives and that can change how you make your character!

So I want to make a new Paladin--I always liked Two Handed Fighting with khopesh! After that with all this new stuff im not sure what to do--Ive read a lot of the forum messages and there is Fighter of the Dead?? or something!

Does anybody have a site or could explain how to make a good character from stat points at the start to why you would multi class and so on please!
    I'm no expert on the matter, but I can add some things as I do have a paladin in progress (currently 14pal/2monk). First off, I love the monk splash as it adds 2 desperately needed feats and gives you evasion to go with your fantastic saves. Yeah, it means you can't wear heavy armor, but most people will tell you AC is no longer really important (not useful on epic elite, not needed below that).

For weapons I went with dwarven axe and shield. The dwarven axe gives you glancing blows (like a 2 handed weapon), and improved shield mastery + zeal gives you nice double strike, and duergar axes (when you get them) give very competitive damage. A lot of people prefer the bastard sword route with Nightmare, but since I haven't gotten one of those yet I went d-axe. And I focused on damage. Get cleave and great cleave as fast as possible, take the best offensive stuff from defender tree then add in best offensive stuff from KoC tree. With GH I can get all my saves over 40 at level 16 (mid 40s if I wanted to make some sacrifices in gear). For stats... I'm a 36 pt build, but I think I went:
    str: 18
    dex: 14
    con: 14
    int: 10
    wis: 8
    cha: 14

That's offensive focus with enough cha for nice saves and divine might, enough con for good HP (I have over 500 at level 16 without toughness feat or false life item), and some dex to boost reflex. With 32 pts just drop dex to 10, or even 8 and add 2 more int since you likely won't have +4 tomes and they recently made heal skill add to spell power for healing.

Race: I went human for the feat and heal amp, and grabbed GH buff too, which is a really strong choice. Dwarf would work well also with d-axe if you go that route. Personally I will drop the GH enhancements at 18ish since I have clickies and your APs will be spread desperately thin.

As far as the paladin in general is concidered, not much has changed really. they are still feat starved, charisma is still important... the only thing different is that the enhancement have been given a much needed rework. to really give you any type of suggestions regarding build we'd really need to know your play style and such (dps or tank).

Honestly i'd recommend reading junts paladin guide, all the fundamentals in his guide are still true to this day. especially when it comes to how to build one and his disscussion on multi-classing.

My personal opinion on multi-classing a paladin is, the capstone isn't all that great (atleast as not as it use to be), and so at the minimum i'd do a 2 class splash, the class i splash with is all depending on what i feel i need for the build. sometimes i'd even go deeper if im going more for a huge dps focus. for example, i like to play a 14/4/2 class split because after i get access to zeal i've got everything i want from the class. and it gives me the option of expanding on the versatility of my build, be it adding some ranged options, or self healing options, or some tank abilities or whatever.

So that being said, i do not think going twfing on a first life pally is a very wise decision. the stats are just so extremely tight, you need to get to 17 dex for gtwf (so figure 15 with a +2 tome)- still a decent amount of strength for damage-enough con to not be a hinderance on your healer's resources- and at minimum at starting 16 charisma for divine might. so as you can see without atleast an abundance of +3 tomes thing's are very tight, and this isn't even counting in the option of adding intelligence for skill points/CE.

Which bring's me to my next point, divine might has been slightly changed in the enhancement pass... instead of getting a sacred bonus to your damage, you get a insight bonus to your strength (based on your charisma score). some see this as a slight nerf, i personally love it.

I would personally recommend starting out as a thf build for your first life, gather up gear, grind out tomes and epic destinies, and then tr into a twfing build if your still interested in it by then.

here's a link to junts guide, i highly recommend reading it from start to finish.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ating-Paladins

Good luck, no matter what way you decide to go.
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Ghallanda - || Mrchicken 15 rogue assassin ( life 3/???) ||Katsuu - 7 dark monk || Mrphish - 16 arti || Pixelation 16 wf bardbarian
    Sarlona - ||pixxel - 10 barbarian ||

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The latest update (U19) substantially revised how the Enhancement system works; so a lot of the build advice on the forums has been rendered obsolete by it. That said, Junts's pally guide is still a good place to start, because the info on spells, recommended weapons, etc. is still relevant; just take the Enhancements with a grain of salt.

Each class gets 2 or 3 PrE trees which you can spend pts on as you level; part of planning your build entails figuring out which class abilities you want and how to fit them together. Paladins' PrEs are Knight of the Chalice (KotC), which also contains the old Hunter of the Dead (HotD) enhancements, and Sacred Defender (SD), previously called Defender of Siberys (DoS). Basically, KotC is the DPS tree (with some survivability bonuses), while SD is the tanking tree (biased towards S&B at higher tiers).

When you hit lvl 20+, you have the option of True Reincarnation (TR); your character starts over at lvl 1 with a past life feat and either 34 or 36 build pts (depending on how many times you've TRed). Your XP and Favor are reset to zero, but you get to keep all your old equipment. The OCD go for Completionist (past life in every class, so 13 TRs); the truly nutty go for 39 TRs, because each passive PL feat can stack up to 3 times (13 x 3 = 39).
    So I want to make a new Paladin--I always liked Two Handed Fighting with khopesh!
    Do you mean fighting S&B w/khopesh? Because THF feats do nothing for khops; only bastard swords & dwarven axes benefit from THF feats while S&B.

It's easier to give build advice if you outline what you want to do with this character; as well as what resources you have available.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Junts's pally guide is still a good place to start, because the info on spells, recommended weapons, etc. is still relevant; just take the Enhancements with a grain of salt.
    What about the new religious feats that are required? What are they? Which ones are required for the PrE's?

PS: For my part, I have a 1st-life Halfling paladin. I'd like advice on DPS and soloability. Incidentally, every single build I've seen has a splash of monk, but I'm not VIP so I can't do that.
    Last edited by shawnvw; 09-06-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by shawnvw View Post
    What about the new religious feats that are required? What are they? Which ones are required for the PrE's?

PS: For my part, I have a 1st-life Halfling paladin. I'd like advice on DPS and soloability. Incidentally, every single build I've seen has a splash of monk, but I'm not VIP so I can't do that.
    Which religious feat you take has no effect on what PRE you can have. The monk splash gets you evasion and some extra feats. You can still get evasion if you want by taking 2 levels of rogue.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Which religious feat you take has no effect on what PRE you can have.
    Okay. What are the religious feats? What do they do now? Which is best for a halfling DPS paladin?

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Okay. What are the religious feats? What do they do now? Which is best for a halfling DPS paladin?
    I don't recall exactly and the wiki hasn't been updated yet. They are the same as the enhancements used to be they just changed them all into feats now that you can get for free at the appropriate levels. (Which I also can't remember right now)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

As a halfling, you have two options: Silver Flame or Sovereign Host. Of the two, I would say SH is better, because you gain an ability (Unyielding Sovereignty) which can be used once every 10 minutes to fully heal & restore yourself (or someone else).

There are three other racial-specific deities: Lord of Blades (Warforged/Bladeforged-only), Undying Court (elf), and Vulkoor (drow). If you create one of the Forgotten Realms-based Iconics, your only choice is Amaunator.

Community Member

Best advice...don't make a paladin they suck now. There are some variants out there that work, but stances only work with shields now they are only useful to build and take advantage of exalted smites now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Best advice...don't make a paladin they suck now. There are some variants out there that work, but stances only work with shields now they are only useful to build and take advantage of exalted smites now.
    This may or may not be true at end game. My paladin (now 17, I haven't had a chance to play much lately) does respectable damage, fails saves only on a 1 (and has evasion), can heal himself and a short-man group, has 500+ hp without trying (no toughness, no false life gear, don't even wear my minos). I ran the new level 15 eveningstar quests yesterday on elite for streak with 2 guildies playing sorcs and was able to keep us all healed, had roughly 1/3 of the kills (not bad going up against 2 sorcs), was able to tank the cat optional... really it's a pretty fun leveling toon. I agree that the pass wasn't nearly as good for paladin as other classes, and I'd do far more damage on a Ginsu build, but the survivability is awesome and with some focus the DPS is decent in S&B with double strike. If you build yourself as a pure tank with all the threat and AC enhancements, too few DPS feats, etc... well, it will probably suck. But if you build for DPS, paladins get so much survivability you don't have to build for that (except getting evasion).

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    false:

sacred defense doesn't recquire shield

smites...well, it's 5 max iirc, not a big deal

and divine might...that bonus to str is just insane, just hit 20 before tring and my str was 48 only with dm (42 cha, y, cha based)

think there's no other way to hit 48 str with only 1 buff XD (16 insight bonus to str...just lol)

to the OP: i'm not a monk fan, in fact u don't need these 2 feats, cleave, gcleave and dm, nothing more is needed to do things like (Combat): You hit Blood Tide Sorcerer for 229 points of slash damage. at lvl 9

sorry, just pasted this way because i recalled i copied it before logging off XD

paladin is way overpowered if built with a bit of brain

btw 2nd pally life, sexy drow again, 1st one was 14 pally for the damm swords- 4 fighter- 2 rogue

thisone will be 10 pally-8 fighter(now it's time to see that shiny tier 5, hadn't time to use kotc's tier 5 with LD so prefer passive bonus) 2 rogue

oh true, i'm not getting thf line, u don't need it, with cleave+gcleave (wearing a poor carnifex XD) everything dies, so can go 18 pally-2 rogue if u want, pally's cores are insane too

edit: some stuff just did today https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...56#post5094656

edit: my build will be the one i posted here https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ally-past-life

forgot to say at lvl 9(or so XD) i took empower healing iirc or was magical training? idc, need both stats and others are the same (y, 13 str base, cha base 19 and a damm sexy drow XD)
    Last edited by psykopeta; 09-08-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    false:

sacred defense doesn't recquire shield

smites...well, it's 5 max iirc, not a big deal

and divine might...that bonus to str is just insane, just hit 20 before tring and my str was 48 only with dm (42 cha, y, cha based)

think there's no other way to hit 48 str with only 1 buff XD (16 insight bonus to str...just lol)

to the OP: i'm not a monk fan, in fact u don't need these 2 feats, cleave, gcleave and dm, nothing more is needed to do things like (Combat): You hit Blood Tide Sorcerer for 229 points of slash damage. at lvl 9

sorry, just pasted this way because i recalled i copied it before logging off XD

paladin is way overpowered if built with a bit of brain

btw 2nd pally life, sexy drow again, 1st one was 14 pally for the damm swords- 4 fighter- 2 rogue

thisone will be 10 pally-8 fighter(now it's time to see that shiny tier 5, hadn't time to use kotc's tier 5 with LD so prefer passive bonus) 2 rogue

oh true, i'm not getting thf line, u don't need it, with cleave+gcleave (wearing a poor carnifex XD) everything dies, so can go 18 pally-2 rogue if u want, pally's cores are insane too

edit: some stuff just did today https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...56#post5094656

edit: my build will be the one i posted here https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ally-past-life

forgot to say at lvl 9(or so XD) i took empower healing iirc or was magical training? idc, need both stats and others are the same (y, 13 str base, cha base 19 and a damm sexy drow XD)
    No sacred defense dows not require a shield, but it does require you to have a shield to lose the -10% movement speed (slow...no thank you).

And as for building a paladin for DPS...there is so much better DPS builds out there that can self heal. IMO 2 pally for Divine Grace is the only good part of the paladin class now, or for the passice past life feat. But if you really wan the best stuff in the paladin tree (Divine Might, Exalted Smites, Sealed Life, etc), there really is no need to go more than 5 pally levels as you will have access to it all. Again, I reiterate don't build a pally, but splash or deep splash can be really good. If you want a pally feel, but want to DPS consider 8 fighter (Kensai PS, One with the blade), 7 monk, 5 pally...no that is DPS.