Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press
    MuleAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Raven
    Posts
    665

    Default Gold Rolls = Bad news

    I was utterly disgusted when I was able to get a little past 4th level on a multi-life TR using nothing more than the XP gained from the Gold Rolls from previous life. A good friend gave me a bigby's last life, so I only needed to get from 4th to 7th before I was catapulted to 15th. Imagine if I had an Otto's... Literally from 1st level to 19th in a matter of 2 hours of play time. Not that I am complaining since I had 8 other lives on this guy that I ground out with blood sweat and tears, but it is a testament to pay to win.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

  2. #2
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,935

    Default

    They just started offering XP rewards in the daily rolls a couple weeks ago. Are you saying you have purchased via shards a slew of gold rolls? Surely there is no way you could have saved up 50k of xp from a a handful (1 per week) of free rolls? How many rolls did you make to get 50k xp, just curous?

  3. #3
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    They just started offering XP rewards in the daily rolls a couple weeks ago. Are you saying you have purchased via shards a slew of gold rolls? Surely there is no way you could have saved up 50k of xp from a a handful (1 per week) of free rolls? How many rolls did you make to get 50k xp, just curous?
    I've seen 4k and 5k appear on FREE Gold Rolls on Different Servers {I roll on 7 servers weekly!}.

    I've also seen 1k appear!

    Given time {and money} yes you COULD get to Lvl 4 just from Gold Rolls - Not really P2W though in my opinion!

    PLUS - He said 3rd Life - So more than 50k required.

  4. #4
    Community Member arminius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,949

    Default

    Yep, I call BS. There simply haven't been enough free gold rolls at the rate of 1 per week for you to get much past the beginning of level 2. Even if you combined them with all free silver rolls you aren't going to get to level 4. And if you manage that much space getting that many non-stackable xp bonuses through your reincarnate bank, then good for you. You deserve the xp for that much effort.

    So, if it wasn't the free rolls, then you bought rolls. Congratulations! You bought rolls and they came with free xp. Is there a problem? Are you criticizing Turbine for, what, allowing you to buy what you bought, and allowing you to use what you bought? Shame on 'em, indeed.
    __________________
    Gwyneira : Cattari : Gorobei : Berylore : Zelphia : Aanouk : Beatriice : RobotMaria : Dalrymple : Nihill
    Captain's Crew : Fernia : Ghallanda

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    I was utterly disgusted when I was able to get a little past 4th level on a multi-life TR using nothing more than the XP gained from the Gold Rolls from previous life. A good friend gave me a bigby's last life, so I only needed to get from 4th to 7th before I was catapulted to 15th. Imagine if I had an Otto's... Literally from 1st level to 19th in a matter of 2 hours of play time. Not that I am complaining since I had 8 other lives on this guy that I ground out with blood sweat and tears, but it is a testament to pay to win.
    Thank you for financially supporting the game!

  6. #6
    The Hatchery zwiebelring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,419

    Default

    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

  7. #7
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    I've seen 4k and 5k appear on FREE Gold Rolls on Different Servers {I roll on 7 servers weekly!}.
    Yes, but you can't use all those (from different servers) on one character.


    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    PLUS - He said 3rd Life - So more than 50k required.
    Yep, realized after I posted.

  8. #8
    Community Member Deathdefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    I've been using the free roll each day to subsidize a gold roll. Combined with selling the odd item on the Shard Exchange that's been enough for 1 per day. I'm up to 46k in stored xp.

    My best roll so far was a 99, which gave me an 8k xp token and a (lol) +5 Perform Tome.

    It's worth saying that level 4 sounds like a larger milestone than it is. It's another 50kish again to level 5, same to level 6. then 80k, 100k and more. So it's about 1/7 of the way to level 8.

    Personally I'll be spending ~26k immediately after each TR to hit level 3. I like favour so will one and done everything anyway. Also need to run Korthos to replace starter gear I don't have the bank space to keep through TRs anymore (hint hint), and level 3 means no over-level penalty.

    TL;DR. I think it's a good change, not overpowered and probably good for ddo's finances for those who really want to... 'maximize their stored xp potential'.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

  9. #9
    Community Member Oxarhamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,555

    Default or maybe

    sounds like OP doesn't get gold rolls and wants them taken away from those who do.

    (given the fallacy amount of XP from free gold rolls they claim to have compiled in such a brief time)

  10. #10
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press
    MuleAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Raven
    Posts
    665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    They just started offering XP rewards in the daily rolls a couple weeks ago. Are you saying you have purchased via shards a slew of gold rolls? Surely there is no way you could have saved up 50k of xp from a a handful (1 per week) of free rolls? How many rolls did you make to get 50k xp, just curous?
    Ok, perhaps a little more detail on the gold rolls. Once per week only? no. Through shard auctions I was able to pool up approximately 500 +/- shards which were spent on gold rolls. Going back, I realize it was just short of 5th level, I think there was approximately 110K xp awarded through the rolls. The awards ranged from 100 (which were not saved), to 10,000. I had a bunch of 8,000 and 5,000 awards, which helped a lot. Received several xp pots and a couple +5 tomes as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    Yep, I call BS. There simply haven't been enough free gold rolls at the rate of 1 per week for you to get much past the beginning of level 2. Even if you combined them with all free silver rolls you aren't going to get to level 4. And if you manage that much space getting that many non-stackable xp bonuses through your reincarnate bank, then good for you. You deserve the xp for that much effort.

    So, if it wasn't the free rolls, then you bought rolls. Congratulations! You bought rolls and they came with free xp. Is there a problem? Are you criticizing Turbine for, what, allowing you to buy what you bought, and allowing you to use what you bought? Shame on 'em, indeed.
    No Criticism of Turbine what so ever. I didn't purchase or pay any cash out of pocket. Yea, the bank was a big challenge. I needed to put many in the shared bank, and many more on my bank characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Thank you for financially supporting the game!
    Interestingly enough, I made a comment in a group I was in yesterday about the recent outage, stating we need to buy more shards so they can keep the lights on. Unfortunately, I am not one of those who are responsible for keeping the "lights on" other than my monthly VIP payment, as these were all accumulated through the shard auction.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

  11. #11
    Community Member arminius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,949

    Default

    Even if we did have that many available already (and we don't), I'd still rather play the game than go through the inventory management required to get that many bonuses through the reincarnate cache. I'm pretty good at inventory management I believe, but it reaches a point where you've just done a half-hour's work across 6 mules to save yourself a 3 minute Kobold New Ringleader hop-n-kill. Meh.
    __________________
    Gwyneira : Cattari : Gorobei : Berylore : Zelphia : Aanouk : Beatriice : RobotMaria : Dalrymple : Nihill
    Captain's Crew : Fernia : Ghallanda

  12. #12
    Founder Delacroix21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Posts
    1,802

    Default

    People need to get over this whole "pay to win" complaining. If DDO is PtW, then its an extremely expensive PtW!


    You should THANK those people who spend hundreds on DDO, they are keeping the game alive, not all the freeloaders!


    I wish DDO had stayed subscription based, and am so glad ESO will be.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

    Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 39/39, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

  13. #13
    Community Member Bunker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    As far as Gold Rolls go with the Daily Dice, the XP values on GOLD range from 1,000-10,000. If you are receiving an XP token that is 500 or 300 or 100 ect..... that is from a silver roll.

    I ran (2) separate sets of Gold Rolls. Each set was 100 rolls each. The XP that was rewarded to me ended up being 639,000xp

    639,000/20=3195xp

    I know 200 rolls is a small sample size but on average I received 3,195xp per Gold Roll.

    As far as +5 stat tomes. You can only receive these on a roll of 100 and on top of that, the reward for a roll of 100 can be either a +4 OR +5 stat tome. If you do end up getting a +5, that is extremely lucky if it is during your 1/week FREE roll.

    Hope this info helps.

    -Bunk

  14. #14
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council
    TrinityTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Findlay, OH
    Posts
    3,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    I was utterly disgusted when I was able to get a little past 4th level on a multi-life TR using nothing more than the XP gained from the Gold Rolls from previous life. A good friend gave me a bigby's last life, so I only needed to get from 4th to 7th before I was catapulted to 15th. Imagine if I had an Otto's... Literally from 1st level to 19th in a matter of 2 hours of play time. Not that I am complaining since I had 8 other lives on this guy that I ground out with blood sweat and tears, but it is a testament to pay to win.
    Okay, but I have a question about your post. I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. If you are disgusted by the options to gain xp other than questing...why are you using them? You clearly know what they are for, there is no surprise "I didn't know what this diamond does!". You chose to keep it in your bank instead of junking it, and then you chose to use it on your character to skip the early levels. And the post also doesn't state free gold rolls, so I think it's likely you chose to BUY gold rolls in addition to the free ones.

    So you are basically...disgusted with your own choices? Because you had them at every stage. You could have not used the daily dice at all. You could have thrown out the xp diamonds and just kept the main loot item you got on the rolls you made after deciding to participate. You chose to obtain the bigby's(Unless your friend held you at gunpoint, and then I would question why you remained friends), and then to use it to skip the levels.

    Sure, Turbine made the options available, but like any other choice in life, availability is not forcing to use. We all have the opportunity to go rob gas stations, but most of us choose not to either out of morality or we won't like the consequences. If you don't like the consequnces here, throw them out in the future and don't use them again. It's a video game, and you have control over this aspect of your experience with it.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

    Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

  15. #15
    Community Member Satyriasys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Big deal, there are more important issues in this game. It cost me about 500 shards worth of gold rolls to level a legend up to 5. Not very economically efficient.
    Join Date: Nov 2009

  16. #16
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press
    MuleAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Raven
    Posts
    665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Okay, but I have a question about your post. I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. If you are disgusted by the options to gain xp other than questing...why are you using them? You clearly know what they are for, there is no surprise "I didn't know what this diamond does!". You chose to keep it in your bank instead of junking it, and then you chose to use it on your character to skip the early levels. And the post also doesn't state free gold rolls, so I think it's likely you chose to BUY gold rolls in addition to the free ones.

    So you are basically...disgusted with your own choices? Because you had them at every stage. You could have not used the daily dice at all. You could have thrown out the xp diamonds and just kept the main loot item you got on the rolls you made after deciding to participate. You chose to obtain the bigby's(Unless your friend held you at gunpoint, and then I would question why you remained friends), and then to use it to skip the levels.

    Sure, Turbine made the options available, but like any other choice in life, availability is not forcing to use. We all have the opportunity to go rob gas stations, but most of us choose not to either out of morality or we won't like the consequences. If you don't like the consequnces here, throw them out in the future and don't use them again. It's a video game, and you have control over this aspect of your experience with it.

    My original post was not meant to be critical of Turbine, or the fact that I was able to attain level 4 on a Legend character via gold roll XP awards. If one was to look into what was actually stated in the original and subsequent posts, one might see a bit of irony and a subtle hint of sarcasm casually directed to those who have an aversion to quickly attaining levels through the purchase of certain items, or the awards received by certain mechanisms made available by Turbine.

    In other words…

    The concept of Pay to Win is a crock of $#!+, especially when it can be demonstrated that the same results can be achieved by not spending a dime.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

  17. #17
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix21 View Post
    People need to get over this whole "pay to win" complaining. If DDO is PtW, then its an extremely expensive PtW!


    You should THANK those people who spend hundreds on DDO, they are keeping the game alive, not all the freeloaders!


    I wish DDO had stayed subscription based, and am so glad ESO will be.
    P2W is P2W. it doesn't matter how much real life money you spend for an advantage.

    the only thanks I would give them is making it so I rely a lot less on the lfm than I used to and had to change my preferred play style to join groups that zerg to 20 and became a better player by learning to play solo.

  18. #18
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    The concept of Pay to Win is a crock of $#!+, especially when it can be demonstrated that the same results can be achieved by not spending a dime.
    you can call it P2W, P4C or any other acronym you choose. DDO has always offered alternatives to spending money. no matter how you slice it, it still paying for advantages and its still affecting the game overall.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    I have a hard time getting upset about people getting 3,000 XP from a gold dice roll when other people are getting 1,000,000+ XP from those boxes.

  20. #20
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council
    TrinityTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Findlay, OH
    Posts
    3,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    My original post was not meant to be critical of Turbine, or the fact that I was able to attain level 4 on a Legend character via gold roll XP awards. If one was to look into what was actually stated in the original and subsequent posts, one might see a bit of irony and a subtle hint of sarcasm casually directed to those who have an aversion to quickly attaining levels through the purchase of certain items, or the awards received by certain mechanisms made available by Turbine.

    In other words…

    The concept of Pay to Win is a crock of $#!+, especially when it can be demonstrated that the same results can be achieved by not spending a dime.
    Ah good, I'm glad I misread the intent.

    I kind of agree with you really on the above, and have stated something similar before, and was met with 'it's hurting the lfms! When's the last time you could fill an LFM?" And honestly, my lfm's fill(although the behavior of puggers lately once in often makes me regret having filled them). But...I don't want to play with people who aren't having fun. I've been in a LOT of pugs where people are just going on and on about how bored they are, and it sucks most of the fun out of it for me. Why on earth would I want people who are bored, not having fun, and going on about it endlessly trapped in pugs with me? Especially when I can solo or make googoo eyes at my static group boys? Let them speed through and have some fun and stop telling me how bored they are! Heck let them make 13 triple completionist toons so they can have one of each class if it makes them happy to do so.

    We can't keep players hostage regardless of what we do for 'carrots' to keep people playing. Eventually this game will lose it's fun for all of us, and we'll meander on to something else that is fun.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

    Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload