Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Server Merge: viable or not?

So, i been away from the game for a little while and, i couldnt help but notice, sarlona is less active than ever. Most guilds ive seen (and heard of) dont have 10% of their members as real active ones. Another thing to consider is that lfm no longer have a whole lot of options and, for most lvls (and biggest part of the day), it is really hard to actually find a group for almost anything. Idk if this subject has been brought up by any1 else previously but it seems to me that merging Sarlona with some other server might be the best idea here. Which brings me to the question, are server merges even doable? Viable in any way? Did GMs and developers ever consider it?
    Also would like to know about the other servers. Any other servers going thru the same problems? Or is it mainly a Sarlona thing?

Thanks in advance.

The only server merge we need is to move G-Land to Wayfinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal_Lannes View Post
    Now you aren't a cookie cuttter, you are a character with unique gear and layouts and not everyone has the same mass produced epic ethereal bracers from the ghostly beholder factory.

Idk abt g-land or wayfinder. But as a Sarlona player, i do believe the server could use a merge as well. But again, im not familiar with any other server.

Quote Originally Posted by Connman View Post
    The only server merge we need is to move G-Land to Wayfinder.
    Anything that keeps Ghallanda's hamsters as far away from Argo as possible is an idea I could get behind.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

You care to elaborate how server merges will be handled for players with chars on both servers?

I will not pay for additional char slots.

I will not delete chars.

I will not sacrifice free char slots. (Those are already planned for.)

I will not accept loosing any char by that.

I will not accept any name-changes or name manipilations (e.g. name-1 or name-former server).

Never played on sarlona, but if it's anything like argo, there are 500 ppl on the who panel, but only 3 lfms up. Merging servers wont change this too much, people just have no reason to group.

Community Member

They have been unrelentingly clear that they will let this game atrophy into several ghost towns and die rather than ever, ever, ever merge the population together.

Quote Originally Posted by T1debringer View Post
    Idk abt g-land or wayfinder. But as a Sarlona player, i do believe the server could use a merge as well. But again, im not familiar with any other server.
    Sarlona has benefitted for the past 6 months from being the Default Server - For that period it has been the largest of the 8 Servers by some considerable distance!

A couple of weeks ago Sarlona lost the Default to Orien and you are now seeing the consequences of that loss - Most Newbies last less than a week you see.

Still - It's highly unlikely that Sarlona has yet dropped below 2nd or 3rd place and frankly considering Orien's past experience as Default {when for 3 months it couldn't catch the previous Default Server - Cannith - and then dropped straight back to 7th within a week of losing the Default itself} it's likely that Sarlona is currently still #1!

So...Sarlona is the last server in need of a Merger!
    Every other Server is in a worse state!

G-land+Wayfinder is becoming an absolute must - I checked Wayfinder's Who List again at midday GMT today and again there were only 20 people on it {INCL. MYSELF!}.
    Transferring the population of the BROKEN server Ghallanda to the EMPTY server Wayfinder is IMPERATIVE!

I'd also like to again reiterate my desire for the current 8 Servers to become 4 with the mergers of:

Orien+Thelanis
    Cannith+Khyber
    and
    Sarlona+Argonnessen

Based on my own experiences of having played on every server I feel these would be the most viable mergers!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    G-land+Wayfinder is becoming an absolute must - I checked Wayfinder's Who List again at midday GMT today and again there were only 20 people on it {INCL. MYSELF!}.
    Transferring the population of the BROKEN server Ghallanda to the EMPTY server Wayfinder is IMPERATIVE!

I'd also like to again reiterate my desire for the current 8 Servers to become 4 with the mergers of:
    I doubt that the number of players at noon of one single weekday in a European country is a good representation for the server population of a company based in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnipurake View Post
    I doubt that the number of players at noon of one single weekday in a European country is a good representation for the server population of a company based in the US.
    Then log on at 6pm, 7pm, 8pm and 9pm EST and you'll see that I'm right!

Yesterday I logged on to Wayfinder at 9am GMT and there were 20 people online incl. myself!
    Today I logged on to Wayfinder at 12Noon GMT and there were 20 people online incl. myself!

This is NOT a viable number even considering the time of day!

Even at Peak Hours Wayfinder has less than 100 players online!

Plus: Wayfinder was originally envisioned as a German Language Server and was aimed at Europeans!
    I'd be very surprised indeed if less than 50% of it's total population were European!

AND: 9-5 is no longer the hours that everybody works! I'd expect more than 10 Americans to be online at 7am EST just from those getting home from Night Shifts!

You care to elaborate how server merges will be handled for players with chars on both servers?

I will not delete chars.

I will not accept any name-changes or name manipilations (e.g. name-1 or name-former server).
    Sounds like an awful lot that you are unwilling to do!

Anway I've answered these issues before and I'm sure the Devs realise the answers are there as well as I do!

Additional Character Slots:
    I have 30 Character Slots currently with 28 characters on Cannith and 7 on Khyber! Considering I asked for Cannith+Khyber to be merged this would actually impact on me!
    So there's 2 options:
    1) We get no new slots and I just pick 5 characters I can't play till I've bought another 5 slots.
    or
    2) The Devs simply double the number of BASE slots per server based on how many a player owns in the first place:
    f2p go from 2-4
    Premium go from 4-8
    VIP go from 10-20

Considering how much of an outlying altoholic I am it's highly unlikely there's many people who'd be unduly put out by only gaining 10 slots in a merger!
    How many people have more than 10 characters on multiple servers anyway?
    And how many of them won't have extra slots still available OR characters they'd happily delete?

Name Changes:
    This one's even easier - All the Devs need to do is make the "of Ghallanda" or "of Wayfinder" or "of whatever server" moniker HIDDEN!

It simply doesn't show up to players but the game knows it's there!

Discerning Gentlerobot Piker Turtlsdown's Avatar

Default The bestest solution ever

Cancel contracts for all separate servers/shards. Rent 1 really amazingly powerful server. Merge all DDO servers into that single server (in the past I'd have accepted this would be crazy, but seriously nowadays we have less people on each server at peak than many MMO's have on a single shard, so this is TOTALLY doable).

Allow people's server-based options to rollover (character slots etc). It's just a bit of data that is statically stored, and people can't access more than 1 toon at 1 time per account in real-time so it's not a bigger resource-hog for the server while running.

Names... hmm. Ok, give players 1 month notice of a pre-merge event. Set XP to double, and call it LevelGeDDoN 9000! Players have 1 month to level up / power up as much as possible. In the event of a naming conflict after the merge, the two separate players are assigned temporary holder names, and BATTLE TO THE DEATH! The winner keeps the original name, the loser gets a ~1 at the end or some such, or a new name token. Only the strongest keep their name!

There, problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlsdown View Post

Names... hmm. Ok, give players 1 month notice of a pre-merge event. Set XP to double, and call it LevelGeDDoN 9000! Players have 1 month to level up / power up as much as possible. In the event of a naming conflict after the merge, the two separate players are assigned temporary holder names, and BATTLE TO THE DEATH! The winner keeps the original name, the loser gets a ~1 at the end or some such, or a new name token. Only the strongest keep their name!

There, problem solved
    You're kidding right?

So some Uber Vet can create a character with someone else's name, level it up toot sweet then steal that other player's {who may have been playing the game for years too} name right out from under them?

Oh sorry - I get it - This is another money earner for Turbine as players would have to recreate all their character names on the other server so as to avoid losing them to just that sort of player!

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I badly want 1 mega server. Or atleast cut it down to 2 or 3. Naming conflicts would suck but that's a small price to pay, just give every toon a free name change tome.

Community Member

I will not delete chars.

If they merge servers they may lose players like you who do not want to give anything up, but if they dont do some merges then they may lose a lot of others who are tired of small populations.

Community Member

It does not take a mathmatician to log in any time of day or night and see less people than a year or two ago.

Mmhhh yeah, currently ~60 players on W-finder, but still, compared to G-land I can at least play there. But anyway so as you seem to have the answer to all our problems

- What's with server specific favor unlocks?
    - How about Guild airships, and the chests on those?
    - What's with the Shared and Reincarnation bank? (Last of my knowledge one was required clean those first)
    - What's with those of us that do indeed have more then 10 characters? (yes I and some guildies do have more)
    - Who will pay the Dev time to make the "of Ghallanda" or "of Wayfinder" hidden?
    - How big is the chance that the Dev's mess up characters when moving? (some players have awefull memory of transfers to Lama land)

Anyway, if at all, probably the only server in need of any merge would be W-finder and this server is in this state since quite a long time.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Name Changes:
    This one's even easier - All the Devs need to do is make the "of Ghallanda" or "of Wayfinder" or "of whatever server" moniker HIDDEN!

It simply doesn't show up to players but the game knows it's there!
    So... If I send mail to my new friends the *Drizzits (all the ones from the merged servers), and the tag is hidden, how do I know if I'm mailing the right things to the right *Drizzit?

* Any similarly common name will do

You wan a server merge? Buy character transfers, and cross your fingers.

...On that note, if I have to say "cross your fingers" {for luck} on a successful single character transfer; what are the odds of full on server mergers happenin' without issues? Do you really want a merge bad enough that you're willing (if not eager) to risk being among the lost?
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

There is only one solution to name conflicts with a server merge: Thunderforgeddome. Two characters enter, one character leaves (with the name they want).

Seriously though, I think it would be best to leave it up to a random die roll to see who gets the name. Let's say you have two people with the same name: Bob The Barbarian. Bob1 was created in 2009, Bob2 was created in 2013. For each year that character was in existence, they get a d100 to roll. So Bob2 gets two d100s, Bob1 gets six. Both characters roll their d100s and take the highest roll from the group. Whoever has the highest roll between the two characters gets to keep the name and the other gets renamed Bob the Barbarian-1 and gets a free name change. Of course all this is happening server side, so we'll never get to see the rolls, just the effects.

As for the character slots, they should just give you as many as you had between the two servers, so you'll have just as many slots available as you did before, just one one server instead of two.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    So... If I send mail to my new friends the *Drizzits (all the ones from the merged servers), and the tag is hidden, how do I know if I'm mailing the right things to the right *Drizzit?

* Any similarly common name will do

You wan a server merge? Buy character transfers, and cross your fingers.

...On that note, if I have to say "cross your fingers" {for luck} on a successful single character transfer; what are the odds of full on server mergers happenin' without issues? Do you really want a merge bad enough that you're willing (if not eager) to risk being among the lost?
    DDO already had one server merge and IIRC it went pretty well really.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast