Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    If you're decon'ing items you will never, ever run out of lesser essences before running out of greaters, unless maybe you are making some huge amount of high-potential shards.

Decon'ing is strongly advised for those leveling crafting.
    Perhaps it's just me, but i never have enough lessers. To level my crafting (in the 80s) I always have to deconstruct stacks of greaters. Yesterday while waiting for a guildie to log on I deconstructed about a 1000 greaters (yes, that was about 1000 clicks). How stupid not to have a dialog box that lets you select how many essences you want to deconstruct.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Community Member

I can't imagine how people can go to Crafting house every time they have full inventory and Deconstruct items. That's like one trip every 2-5 quests? And not everyone can teleport at lower levels. And the loading time to go to the Crafting house... It's such a hassle.

The last time i crafted in bulk was about a year and a half ago. Reached around lvl 80. Took me around 5-6 hours to finish all my essences, just trading Greaters to lessers a big chunk of that time. And i'd imagine you would spend that much time if you went to the Crafting house after every few quests to Decon as well.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    I can't imagine how people can go to Crafting house every time they have full inventory and Deconstruct items. That's like one trip every 2-5 quests? And not everyone can teleport at lower levels. And the loading time to go to the Crafting house... It's such a hassle.
    Well I always have Cannith as my bind point. Its the most compact Enclave, outdoor tavern, close to a Teleporter, everything but Airship access. I just /death whenever I need to regroup, sell up, visit the AH or mail, decon, etc.

But I have a SSD, which I've read makes loading times a non-issue where platter drives take a lot longer...dunno, never run DDO off a platter.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Fastest way to grind out high crafting lvls is still running a fotm build and then farm epics for money/decon items.
    This way you wont get much lesser.
    And it depends a lot on your server if there are even lesser on the player market.
    You mean farm L25 Kobold Island challenges, right? Or are the new L28 missions even better in terms of essences:minute with the higher level loot?

OMG. As someone who has spent a lot of time gaining crafting levels, i die a little bit when somebody sunders an essence. It's like watching someone beat a baby seal to death for me.

Try this next time. Go into a crafting hall and type /trade wtt greater essences for lessers. 1 for 10. Now wait for the swarm. I sell lesser essences in bulk on the auction house, because i can only hold 5000 of them before they start overflowing my bags.

Do you not deconstruct your loot? One single piece of epic gear decon will give you about 100 lesser essences. In contrast, you will get maybe 3 or so greater essences per item on average. How do you come short on lessers?

Here's something to consider if you dont like going back to decon when your packs get full. Sell the stuff to the vendors, then go to cannith, and buy it back. If you are on a non crafting alt, mail the stuff.

You also get xp for decon, which adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    OMG. As someone who has spent a lot of time gaining crafting levels, i die a little bit when somebody sunders an essence. It's like watching someone beat a baby seal to death for me.

Try this next time. Go into a crafting hall and type /trade wtt greater essences for lessers. 1 for 10. Now wait for the swarm. I sell lesser essences in bulk on the auction house, because i can only hold 5000 of them before they start overflowing my bags.

Do you not deconstruct your loot? One single piece of epic gear decon will give you about 100 lesser essences. In contrast, you will get maybe 3 or so greater essences per item on average. How do you come short on lessers?
    I didn't realize there were that many people out there with tons of lessers they'd be willing to trade! I'll definitely try this next time. Thanks for the tip Generally speaking, I'm deconstructing my heroic loot and selling my epic loot for plat (with the exception of selling good loot on the AH). So between getting essences in loot and deconstructing heroic loot, I just end up with tons of greaters and not enough lessers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    I didn't realize there were that many people out there with tons of lessers they'd be willing to trade! I'll definitely try this next time. Thanks for the tip Generally speaking, I'm deconstructing my heroic loot and selling my epic loot for plat (with the exception of selling good loot on the AH). So between getting essences in loot and deconstructing heroic loot, I just end up with tons of greaters and not enough lessers.
    It's the epic loot that gives the huge amounts of lesser essences, but not that many more greaters. About +7 potential and above gives 80 or more lessers per item. I deconstructed a +9 intelligence item and it gave me something like 147 lesser essences. The thing is, deconstructing always gives you lessers, but only like a 1/3 chance of giving you a small amount of any greaters on top of it.

I can't guarantee there are lots of people willing to trade you their lessers, i just know i would if i ever saw someone ask. Since i always have extra lessers i have never actually looked for any. I do see them constantly for sale in large quantites on the auction house.

Main reason why I stopped crafting.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    You mean farm L25 Kobold Island challenges, right? Or are the new L28 missions even better in terms of essences:minute with the higher level loot?
    Nope, i dont mean Kobold Farm.
    If you only get chests than you waste time, because why not run any other epic and get Loot AND xp?
    ED farm is slow enough without further slowing it down.
    I usually did run chains for boe Items and sold them on the AH/ASAH or via trade and then bought essences in large quantities.
    Back than the Shield from the Druid chain was really good to sell, even the normal one
    Dunno about the new quests, i didnt buy the xpac because its just not worth that price.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnly_LightInDark View Post
    Why cant the machine work it out and just take the lessers from the greaters if you dont have enough lessers ? That would be the best solution then there would be no need to sunder.
    ^^THIS!^^ /SIGNED!

We don't have to sunder our plat when we buy components and tavern fare.
    Short Fat Bald Guys of Khyber: Zyp Klod Borox Barrium Fytr Bromide Healor Kloddius Kludgie Klawd Wingz

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Nope, i dont mean Kobold Farm.
    If you only get chests than you waste time, because why not run any other epic and get Loot AND xp?
    Because you can get 2 chests/min by Kobold farming, and they never Ransack. What Epic quests can you run that give you comparable results?

The question was about grinding crafting, which means trying to maximize your crafting returns, and ignoring everything else...if you're running quests, thats not really grinding crafting, that's playing the game, and just getting deconnable loot as a result

Quote Originally Posted by zyp View Post
    ^^THIS!^^ /SIGNED!

We don't have to sunder our plat when we buy components and tavern fare.
    I actually wouldnt support auto-sunder...I wouldnt want the machine taking dozens of additional Greaters automatically every click, before I realized I'd run out of Lessers.

Conversely, how about we just abolish Lessers altogether, and just make everything take Greaters? There really is no reason to have Lessers, they dont do anything that Greaters cant do, and for most crafters, the cost in Lessers is meaningless. Reduce the cost of Shards of Potential, naturally (though you could still Crude Vial them), and just have decon return 1-to-X Greaters, where X is the level of the enchantment. Save inventory space, and remove a rather arbitrary delineation between the two tiers of essence.

I agree with bulk sundering.....I'm not sure but I think an easy solution is for turbine to let the stone of change do it....put in greaters and get that many x5 lesser out of it.......that's got to be easier to code than reworking the dialog box on the npc. Another solution is to add a 5th crafting ingredient that allows you to do in the decon machine., although that would add another ingredient that needs to be bought and stored. I hope turbine does something about it

It would honestly be nice if there was multiple sundering for essences. But I'm too far gone in the cynicism department to expect it would happen. Here are my cynical reasons for not expecting any design changes:
    1) The more time you spend needlessly clicking the more time you're in game but not exhausting content. I think somewhere some bean counter thinks this is a good idea and as such they encourage needlessly clicky systems
    2) We have a ton of crafting systems, a boat-load. Cannith needs to be updated to match the new loot abilities. But, instead we just see new crafting systems introduced because new ingredients = more bag space to sell. And, if you have to start the process of accumulating ingredients and leveling all over again each update you're less likely to cap out on a particular system faster than new systems can be rolled out.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

If the developers ever update Cannith Crafting, they really need to simplify the system. As it is, I've grown to dread crafting because it's such a mindless time sink. A few ideas come to mind to streamline the system:
    -Consolidate lesser and greater essences to just "essences". This eliminates the need for sundering.
    -Remove shards of potential. These are just useless time sinks when crafting gear.
    -Fix the lag that happens every time you press the craft button.

Community Member

Default lesser vials

I don't understand this. If you get some, I believe it's free agents favor, you can buy cheap lesser vials. Lesser vials go into craft potential shards up to level +14. After you can craft a ,+6 shard of potential, you never need to use lesser essences to level your crafting unless you are making a specific shard that you need. Am I missing something. Did this change?

This will get you to oh about level 130 I think ymmv,
    Last edited by hoglinhh; 04-06-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Default It´s not only essences, actually. It´s everywhere where bigger numbers need turn in

The whole system DDO makes us turn in or chrunch bigger numbers could use an overhaul, actually.

Epic Altar, turing in fragments... With the animation taking an annoying amount of time it takes a better part of 5 minutes to turn in enough frags to trade for a heroic heart of wood then. Ik, Ik, go to DA and farm the complete tokens... But if I like the Phiarlan quests on epic, actually?

Not that producing Dragonshards is less tedious. Or generally everything we can do on the Altar of Change (and most other altars)... How about Alchemical Crafting?

Long Story Short - I will sign any petition where all the altars and device work stations get redone with an option to do multiple whatever (craft shards, combine shards, sunder essences...) with one click. And please stop the annoying animations consuming time and not providing anything except anger.

I started using an autoclick program because I won't stay in front of the computer clicking on the same button every 6 seconds over and over.

I play games to have fun, not to feel like a $1-a-day slave in a button factory.

I shouldn't have to click 200 times to get 1000 lesser essences.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoglinhh View Post
    I don't understand this. If you get some, I believe it's free agents favor, you can buy cheap lesser vials. Lesser vials go into craft potential shards up to level +14. After you can craft a ,+6 shard of potential, you never need to use lesser essences to level your crafting unless you are making a specific shard that you need. Am I missing something. Did this change?

This will get you to oh about level 130 I think ymmv,
    I tried this a bit.

You probably need to be on crafting xp pots to accomplish that. Certainly can't keep grinding on just vials without, as you'll hit sections where, say, +8 shard will get you 0 xp and still can't yet attempt +9.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    Epic Altar, turing in fragments... With the animation taking an annoying amount of time it takes a better part of 5 minutes to turn in enough frags to trade for a heroic heart of wood then. Ik, Ik, go to DA and farm the complete tokens... But if I like the Phiarlan quests on epic, actually?
    Talk to the earth elly besides epic altar, he will turn the fragments into tokens way faster than the altar.
    Thelanis - Officer of Reinos Olvidados: Henkyh, Neghi, Konokka, Kufei, Bartolomew, Rovinh, Artinata

/signed

I stopped crafting mainly for this. Well not only for this - in fact I'm displeased there's such a dichotomy between what random loot can produce and what you can craft - Not that I WANT to craft a ghostbane, but it should be doable - and a force burst etc.

This sundering mechanism should also work for crystal cove please - flask and elemental gems anyone ?
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast