Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1. #1
    Community Member wraxzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Where people apparently have lions walking in the streets- I reside in Khyber
    Posts
    157

    Question LFM abuse or...?

    Since I have started playing DDO some years ago, there has occasionally (about 1 per week) been a player using the LFM-interface, which I understand is for purely LFM purposes (even if it is for pvp in a tavern and not just grouping for quests), for what I see as 'possible personal gain' and misuse, of course assuming that I have the correct idea of what LookingForMembers means.

    Having just read (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...When-to-Ignore) I've done some forum searches like "lfm abuse" and didn't come up with anything that answers my concern. What I want to know is if reporting players that use the LFM to, among others, buy, trade or recruit for guilds, is possible and encouraged- there are few things so annoying on DDO as doing a skim read of the entire LFM for specific quests and having a plinth of text that interrupts just to read "WTT blue scales for black, 1-1 rate, no scamirs or nobs plz".

    I apologize if I am posting this in the incorrect section, yet the general discussion seemed the most appropriate. Also, if answering, please refrain from passing opinions- references to official text may be appreciated.

    Good hunting
    Wraxz

  2. #2
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wraxzz View Post
    Since I have started playing DDO some years ago, there has occasionally (about 1 per week) been a player using the LFM-interface, which I understand is for purely LFM purposes (even if it is for pvp in a tavern and not just grouping for quests), for what I see as 'possible personal gain' and misuse, of course assuming that I have the correct idea of what LookingForMembers means.

    Having just read (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...When-to-Ignore) I've done some forum searches like "lfm abuse" and didn't come up with anything that answers my concern. What I want to know is if reporting players that use the LFM to, among others, buy, trade or recruit for guilds, is possible and encouraged- there are few things so annoying on DDO as doing a skim read of the entire LFM for specific quests and having a plinth of text that interrupts just to read "WTT blue scales for black, 1-1 rate, no scamirs or nobs plz".

    I apologize if I am posting this in the incorrect section, yet the general discussion seemed the most appropriate. Also, if answering, please refrain from passing opinions- references to official text may be appreciated.

    Good hunting
    Wraxz
    You can call a GM and report the player, but it's a waste of your time and the GMs time.

  3. #3
    2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Actual abusive ones should definitely be reported, the other types.. well, they're irritating & while technically against the guidelines generally aren't a real concern.

    Guild recruitment ones are a little different, as it could just be advertising for more people to join a guild, or it could be an active "run with us, see if we mesh well, maybe join the guild if so" kinda type which is fine & valid.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

  4. #4
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    An LFM to trade scales.. Hm..

    Looking for more (group size of two), to trade me blue scales for white!
    Hey, it works in theory. And frankly, I don't really see an issue with it. Happens rarely enough that I don't care

  5. #5
    Community Member Jaken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    You can call a GM and report the player, but it's a waste of your time and the GMs time.
    I know the GM will delete my post and perhaps an infraction again but still -

    Becareful what you report unless you don't mind getting banned from playing for a few days.
    IMO, most GMs are in cahoots with the players.

    I reported once about a LFM stating "You guys sxxks. I am the strongest in this game - open for lvl 1 - 20" and I was banned from logging into the game after that for a few days. Reason ? The GM that banned me said there is no such LFM and I am making it up.

    I reported once again for another LFM that states "Looking for <name>. I am <name> - open for lvl 1 - 20". And once again I was banned. Reason ? The GM said the LFM was for a quest.

    There are many more and obviously I was banned each time I report such cases. What do you think ?

  6. #6
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    5,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaken View Post
    I know the GM will delete my post and perhaps an infraction again but still -

    Becareful what you report unless you don't mind getting banned from playing for a few days.
    IMO, most GMs are in cahoots with the players.

    I reported once about a LFM stating "You guys sxxks. I am the strongest in this game - open for lvl 1 - 20" and I was banned from logging into the game after that for a few days. Reason ? The GM that banned me said there is no such LFM and I am making it up.

    I reported once again for another LFM that states "Looking for <name>. I am <name> - open for lvl 1 - 20". And once again I was banned. Reason ? The GM said the LFM was for a quest.

    There are many more and obviously I was banned each time I report such cases. What do you think ?
    GMs hate you?
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  7. #7
    Community Member Jaken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    GMs hate you?
    I think so too myself sometimes.
    Perhaps due to the fact that I report bugs that they never fix and I got blamed for it.

  8. #8
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    5,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaken View Post
    I think so too myself sometimes.
    Perhaps due to the fact that I report bugs that they never fix and I got blamed for it.
    They are certain it was you that broke it.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  9. #9
    Community Member wraxzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Where people apparently have lions walking in the streets- I reside in Khyber
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    You can call a GM and report the player, but it's a waste of your time and the GMs time.
    I see it as an investment of my time i.e. take care of the issue now and prevent recurring issues from the same source, but yes, its finnicky and annoying and boring and lame.

    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Actual abusive ones should definitely be reported, the other types.. well, they're irritating & while technically against the guidelines generally aren't a real concern.

    Guild recruitment ones are a little different, as it could just be advertising for more people to join a guild, or it could be an active "run with us, see if we mesh well, maybe join the guild if so" kinda type which is fine & valid.
    Interesting point you make in your second paragraph- perhaps it relates to the negative response from reporting that Jaken has experienced. You definitely make me think to be absolutely sure before reporting anything in the LFM as some lfm's may have a fine line between legit and inappropriate usage. To mention, I try and be just when things have fixed rules and as such, I see using the LFM for guild recruiting as abuse as it has potential to further one particular guild (else, imagine seeing an LFM with 20 of level 15 guild recruitment messages and only 10 quest-lfm's!). I do however have no objection with an LFM for questing with passive recruiting in mind, but otherwise it is a very exploitable alternative too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    An LFM to trade scales.. Hm..

    Looking for more (group size of two), to trade me blue scales for white!
    Hey, it works in theory. And frankly, I don't really see an issue with it. Happens rarely enough that I don't care
    Thats true and was one of my first thoughts, but see if one looks hard enough for each technicality to be in correct standing, everyone will be right even in disputes. Since a group isn't a prerequisite to accomplish a player trade, but more a convenience to find the other player, I don't see this as an actual LFM for questing/grouping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaken View Post
    I know the GM will delete my post and perhaps an infraction again but still -

    Becareful what you report unless you don't mind getting banned from playing for a few days.
    IMO, most GMs are in cahoots with the players.

    I reported once about a LFM stating "You guys sxxks. I am the strongest in this game - open for lvl 1 - 20" and I was banned from logging into the game after that for a few days. Reason ? The GM that banned me said there is no such LFM and I am making it up.

    I reported once again for another LFM that states "Looking for <name>. I am <name> - open for lvl 1 - 20". And once again I was banned. Reason ? The GM said the LFM was for a quest.

    There are many more and obviously I was banned each time I report such cases. What do you think ?
    I'm sorry to hear how your good intentions have been shown the backhand (whether right or wrong, lest I be shown the same backhand), but I truly admire your efforts in fighting the good fight. On a side note, did you report it ingame or via the forum with a screenshot? Personally I would report to the forum with a screenshot to cover my flawless black dragonscale behind, but yes, it is still a pain in the behind.

    I appreciate the responses so far and some have been enlightening. Although DDO Staffmembers are extremely busy working on U19 bugs and what not and therefore player experiences ingame (with or without regards to the LFM interface) may not be their top priority, but I'm sure having more content players that do not waste time reporting wannabe-personal gainers could help DDO by receiving actual bug reports or suggestions using the same time. I hope to see a moderator comment on my concerns too.

  10. #10
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wraxzz View Post
    Thats true and was one of my first thoughts, but see if one looks hard enough for each technicality to be in correct standing, everyone will be right even in disputes. Since a group isn't a prerequisite to accomplish a player trade, but more a convenience to find the other player, I don't see this as an actual LFM for questing/grouping.
    *shrug* As I said, doesn't happen enough for me to care, and I can understand it. Not easy to sell an item, short of AH or ASH - the first I don't like, the second is p2w stupidity.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaken View Post

    I reported once about a LFM stating "You guys sxxks. I am the strongest in this game - open for lvl 1 - 20" and I was banned from logging into the game after that for a few days. Reason ? The GM that banned me said there is no such LFM and I am making it up.
    Is that the girl on Thelanis? Has been around for ages posting all kinds of rubbish on the LFMs and is reported consistently by tons of players.

  12. #12
    Community Member NaturalHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,866

    Default

    I don't find it *that* annoying or that common either for the lfm panel to be used that way, if im just skimming through the thing encounter one or two such things.............meh, my finger is sore because I had to scroll that 1 millimeter more and my eyes had to read a few extra words..........IT BURNS!!!!!!! When I see lfms for guilds I don't immediately think.......they are recruiting, most of the ones ive seen is they are doing runs of quests or raids and often have spots open to others, unless they state specifically that they are recruiting. Hey it might even give the illusion that there is more going on, its not like the lfm panel is just bursting at the seams now, compared to how it use to be.

  13. #13
    Community Member wraxzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Where people apparently have lions walking in the streets- I reside in Khyber
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    ...meh, my finger is sore because I had to scroll that 1 millimeter more and my eyes had to read a few extra words..........IT BURNS!!!!!!!
    This isn't a post where I moan about reading an extra LFM row, it is about, among others, the principle of LFM misuse and when i actually play, I often (like every 10 minutes) open the LFM and skim to see if a quest that I'm missing favor for, want to do for loot (dragontouched comes to mind), has players I enjoy pugging with or is a raid, I dont want to see someone who want to sell X amount of this and that- its an LFM window, and I'm looking for groups.

    NaturalHazard you make a good point that it gives off an illusion of the game being more alive or "busy", but in that case DDO could use a more social chat interface as I experience in another MASSIVEMORPG which shall not be named.

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    702

    Default

    If you don't already have it, create a user chat channel, like we did a few days ago on Wayfinder. Though it's not very popular yet and has to be advertised continuously, at least I already found some people to chat and quest with. For me as a new player such a channel is much more comfortable, because I do not know the exact quest names and other special keywords yet. It's easier for me to type: "looking for help - Threnal chain" or "lfm Menechtarun slayer" or something like that than using the tool and hoping somebody joins. It's also good for general questions, I don't have to stay in the Marketplace or elsewhere spamming the general chat hoping somebody who can answer my questions is in the same zone by chance. Using the user created channel one can ask and answer questions regardless where one is at the moment.

    User channels are global and work in all zones/dungeons (though I don't know if it works in both Eberron and Forgotten Realms). To create one, the command is /joinchannel <Channelname>. I put it in the general Tab and replaced the zone specific general channel as channel to send with the global channel instead. Once joined every time one logs in will join automatically. If nobody's in, the first player who joins creates it again. To start with, there shouldn't be any restrictions. Use it to chat, trade, lfg, recruit, and so on to make it popular.

  15. #15
    Community Member wraxzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Where people apparently have lions walking in the streets- I reside in Khyber
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    If you don't already have it, create a user chat channel, like we did a few days ago on Wayfinder. Though it's not very popular yet and has to be advertised continuously, at least I already found some people to chat and quest with. For me as a new player such a channel is much more comfortable, because I do not know the exact quest names and other special keywords yet. It's easier for me to type: "looking for help - Threnal chain" or "lfm Menechtarun slayer" or something like that than using the tool and hoping somebody joins. It's also good for general questions, I don't have to stay in the Marketplace or elsewhere spamming the general chat hoping somebody who can answer my questions is in the same zone by chance. Using the user created channel one can ask and answer questions regardless where one is at the moment.

    User channels are global and work in all zones/dungeons (though I don't know if it works in both Eberron and Forgotten Realms). To create one, the command is /joinchannel <Channelname>. I put it in the general Tab and replaced the zone specific general channel as channel to send with the global channel instead. Once joined every time one logs in will join automatically. If nobody's in, the first player who joins creates it again. To start with, there shouldn't be any restrictions. Use it to chat, trade, lfg, recruit, and so on to make it popular.
    Thanks for the good suggestion although the thread is starting to veer off topic. User channels are good but a fixed /global channel or something similar (not the current zone restricted /general) would be great.

    Ill check back on the thread after work- the constant kicking off by the forum is silly. Hopefully a mod will have replied by the time I check again.

    PS: The forum kicked me off while I was typing this >1 minute post.

  16. #16
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaken View Post
    I reported once again for another LFM that states "Looking for <name>. I am <name> - open for lvl 1 - 20". And once again I was banned. Reason ? The GM said the LFM was for a quest.
    Maybe the GM's just don't like dealing with people who report others for stupid reasons?

    I don't see the problem here at all.
    These type of LFM's are rare enough(at most usually 1-2 a week in my experience on Argo) and do not impact me in my ability to play the game in any way at all. I don't see any issue with people using the LFM system to try to make trades(even if it is stupidly ineffective), or trying to find a particular person(This one is just ridiculous to report someone for.).

    Now, LFM's that are offensive(IE the one example you gave of "You guys Suck" or whatever.) should be reported, but why waste a GM's time, and your own because someone used an LFM in a way you wouldn't?
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  17. #17
    Community Member NaturalHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,866

    Default

    I have also seen LFMs for groups to chat/play around in pvp, is that against the rules technically? I mean it is for grouping though not for running quests. I like to skim through the lfm panel too to look for whats happening, if theres anything up that I want to join, and I don't get annoyed when theres stuff up there that might not be strictly what its suppose to be used for, I think I would get annoyed enough to report or make a statement if its a high % of the posts.

    Ive even seen various people having fun/poking fun at things or at people, like one time over 10 TOD raids, or similar with other raids. Or when some guy wanted to sell something for a stupidly overpriced amount had LFMS undercutting him by a huge ammount and even then everyone knew they wouldn't get a buyer it was just to show how off he was.

  18. #18
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wraxzz View Post
    Since I have started playing DDO some years ago, there has occasionally (about 1 per week) been a player using the LFM-interface, which I understand is for purely LFM purposes (even if it is for pvp in a tavern and not just grouping for quests), for what I see as 'possible personal gain' and misuse, of course assuming that I have the correct idea of what LookingForMembers means.

    Having just read (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...When-to-Ignore) I've done some forum searches like "lfm abuse" and didn't come up with anything that answers my concern. What I want to know is if reporting players that use the LFM to, among others, buy, trade or recruit for guilds, is possible and encouraged- there are few things so annoying on DDO as doing a skim read of the entire LFM for specific quests and having a plinth of text that interrupts just to read "WTT blue scales for black, 1-1 rate, no scamirs or nobs plz".

    I apologize if I am posting this in the incorrect section, yet the general discussion seemed the most appropriate. Also, if answering, please refrain from passing opinions- references to official text may be appreciated.

    Good hunting
    Wraxz
    Using the LFM for ANYTHING other then to form groups for Questing, Raiding, and on the outside PvP is not allowed.

    Report the LFM with the tools at our disposal and include all relevant details.

    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Using the LFM for ANYTHING other then to form groups for Questing, Raiding, and on the outside PvP is not allowed.

    Report the LFM with the tools at our disposal and include all relevant details.
    Is there an official policy posted somewhere about what is and is not acceptable use of the social panel\LFM? If so please link to it.

    I find it strange how sensitive people are to this. I figured people would (like I do) treat them just like any other LFM posting that they weren't interested in.

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Geeez. It seems to me that some folks are having freudian problems. I would actually even tell in which stadium the problem is, but... prolly not a good idea on public formus. Lets just say its the second one.

    I totally agree that offensive LFMs are to be reported (you guys suxxx, I rule etc.), but for the rest of them.... why such hate? I see, lets say, 2 guild recruiters LFM per week on Cannith and well... If the guild is Looking for More (LFM) members, why should I care? Its not like there are 10 guild nonstop every day of the week (in which case, this would be a very important debate). And the LFM that someone reported (Looking for A, I am B), may I just ask why would you even report that? seriously, what is the potential danger of that? Maybe someone got disconnected and lost group/trade, or they are new and just didnt added said person to friends list. Or they are running different quests and the one that finishes first is supped to join the second one. Reporting that is... freudian second stadium and overzealous. With the same logic you could perzecute LFM - need invite to ship with altar of Destruction from GS. Instead of reporting that, I am inviting ppl on our ship.

    Seriously folks, have you ever heard the sentence Live and let live? Those few LFMs (be that even one per day) cannot be that terrible to scroll down, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload