Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Community Member Ykt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    654

    Default Energy Absorption

    I was doing EE VoN 5 with this guy and when I said Energy absorption multiplies, he said no it doesn't.

    I had done quit a bit of research on that subject (the general consensus is that it multiplies) so I was curious about what he could teach me.
    He kept saying it doesn't multiply and brought as proof the wiki page:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Absorption
    quoting
    "do not simply add the various absorption rates (e.g. 10% + 15% does not equal 25%), you multiply them (0.9 * 0.85 = 0.765; for a 23.5% reduction)."
    And I realized he was just thinking I was a 5 year old kid who couldn't understand basic maths.

    It's pretty obvious 0.9 * 0.85 is a multiplication but he kept condescendingly saying it doesn't multiply, it's more complicated than just adding 10% and 15%, and on and on about it telling me I was wrong even though we were saying the same thing.

    I just dropped it he wouldn't see reason.

    The general consensus is:
    - Temporary buffer effect is used first (e.g. Fire Protection 120)
    - Energy resistance comes second (e.g. Fire Resistance 30)
    - Energy Absorption comes last (e.g. Cold Shield 50% with Firestorm Greaves 33% and tier 3 GS weapon 20% 15% 10%)

    with a base of 1000 fire damage:
    1) 1000 - 120 protection = 880
    2) 880 - 30 resistance = 850
    3) 850 * (1 - 50%) cold shield = 425
    425 * (1 - 33%) greaves = 280
    280 * (1 - 20%) GS = 224
    224 * (1 - 15%) GS = 191
    191 * (1 - 10%) GS = 173 damage taken

    step 3) faster:
    850 * 50% * 67% * 80% * 85% * 90% = 173 damage taken
    which is a multiplication of what is left after the absorption takes effect (20% absorption leaves 80% damage)
    Last edited by Ykt; 09-03-2013 at 12:18 AM.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    85

    Default

    do ac/incorp/displacement/dodge miss chances work using the same (1-x) multiplier?

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    do ac/incorp/displacement/dodge miss chances work using the same (1-x) multiplier?
    That's not simply how the game is coded...that's how math works, in general You always multiply the probability of two or more things not happening to get the probability of none of them happening, which is the inverse of the probability of at least one happening.

    So, yes, if you have 30% miss chance from AC, 10% Incorp, 20% Concealment, and 15% Dodge, your net chance of avoiding a physical attack is:

    1-[(1-0.3)*(1-0.1)*(1-0.2)*(1-0.15)]

    1-[0.7*0.9*0.8*0.85]

    1-[0.4284] = 0.5716

    So you have a 42.84% chance of being hit, or conversely, a 57.16% chance of not being hit

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    85

    Default

    thats pretty sweet, i think i can get mine to about 60-65ac miss chance, 25-28 dodge, 25% incorp and 25-50% blurry displacement. using the (1-x) multiplication, its about 90% miss chance.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    thats pretty sweet, i think i can get mine to about 60-65ac miss chance, 25-28 dodge, 25% incorp and 25-50% blurry displacement. using the (1-x) multiplication, its about 90% miss chance.
    Be careful, the listed AC miss chance is often much less in practice. And armor will reduce your max Dodge bonus - and if your AC is that high, I imagine you're using heavy armor.

  6. #6
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    5,512

    Default

    AC miss chance is for critters with CR equal to your level, so its kinda hard to find out what the actual miss chance is in any given situation.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  7. #7
    Community Member hucka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Be careful, the listed AC miss chance is often much less in practice. And armor will reduce your max Dodge bonus - and if your AC is that high, I imagine you're using heavy armor.
    i can get to 82ac with a robe so you dont need heavy armor for that (+35% incorporeality, 50% displacement and 28% dodge)
    Last edited by hucka; 09-03-2013 at 03:25 AM.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    That's not simply how the game is coded...that's how math works, in general You always multiply the probability of two or more things not happening to get the probability of none of them happening, which is the inverse of the probability of at least one happening.
    OMG Droid, you made my brain hurt! What tongue are you speaking in....it looks like English, but......
    :-)

    Thanks for the example, it helped to clarify!

    Thanks to the OP for confirming how energy prot/resist/absorption works.
    I always understood it to work that way, but does it do so in practice...... :-/

    Cheers to you both for sharing some wisdom with us!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload