Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Added three new reviews this afternoon, connected any corresponding reviews by CE2JRH123, and also went back and connected TheNameIwasntB4's thoughts on Catacombs.

I slowed down for a bit but am gaining momentum again. I think the lower-grade packs were less fun to review much like they're less fun to play. heh. But now that I'm in "this pack is awesome!" territory it's getting more fun to write them.

Default pack sale decision

First of all: thanks a lot ElisDee (and CE2JRH123 and every other reviewer as well), this is turning into an AMAZING thread, best one I've seen on the subject since Sirgog's

As a long-time semi-casual premium player sitting on a lot of unused TPs, I'm thinking about getting some of the adventure packs on sale (oh, how I miss the 35-50% discounts...), but I'm having an hard time choosing which packs to purchase. I thought about opening a new thread, but since the answers to this post will probably have pack feedback, and more people may have similar questions, I decided to post it here (serves as a thread bump too :P).

Right now, I have (pack(level range)):
    ---
    Catacombs (3-4)
    STK (3-5)
    Tangleroot (3-7)
    Carnival (5)
    Necro1 (5-6)
    Delera (5-11)
    Sorrowdusk (6-10)
    Sands (10-12)
    Atk on Stormreach (13)
    Vale (16-17)
    Reavers (17)
    Path of Inspiration (18)
    Dreaming Dark (19-20)
    MotU (19-25)
    ES Challenges (15-30)
    ---

Based on the reviewed packs' ranks, the best to purchase right now would be:
    --
    - Sentinels (7-8)
    - VoN (8-10)
    - Fens (9)
    - GH (13-14)
    - Necro4 (14-17)
    - Harbinger (15)
    --

While I have enough TP to buy most of them, I'm unfortunately forced to play on a really low budget for the time being (due to RL issues), so it'd be important to know the packs I should prioritize and the ones I should skip or wait for a better sale.

A Little info about my mindset/play-style:
    --
    - I pug most of the time (hate soloing);
    - I prefer diversity in quest content (don't like running many hack&slash quests in a row);
    - I usually don't raid (not enough time to solo learn raids, and pug groups usually just zerg through them and expect me to know their details);
    - I never TR'ed until now (might do it on some of my toons when Epic TR arrives, but just 2nd-3rd life max.);
    - Although I like good XP/loot like everyone else, I usually choose quest quality over stats/numbers (I prefer running unique and fun dungeons with no notable loot or xp than going through boring/repetitive good-xp ones, as long as I can easily get a group for them);
    - I don't farm quests for XP or completion rewards, unless absolutely needed;
    - I tend to run caster/cc or caster-hybrid builds (wiz/bard/druid/divines, sometimes w/ rogue splashes);
    - I have toons scattered throughout all the level-ranges (from lv4 to lv22).
    --

After reading the full reviews, Fens and VoN seem like the most fun, but I'd like to get some advice having my playstyle and budget constraints in mind (I'd hate to get too many of the packs without needing them, and lacking the TP's to get an important future pack or sale). I like Artificers a lot too, so Secrets could be a nice way of unlocking the class, but I have no idea how much effort is needed to unlock it, or how hard it is to get a group for Secrets quests and Eberron challenges (I've never seen any group running cannith challenges in LFM panel...).

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the long post).
    Last edited by A3oN95; 09-20-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: artificer/cannith pack question

I'm going to do a real push to get this thread finished completely (not just the reviews part) by the end of the weekend, before the double bonus point special ends since we're all of a sudden in a 20% off all eberron pack sale. That kind of caught me off guard; I was hoping this thread would be done long before the next sale came when people had to make their decisions.

They aren't reviewed yet, but just as an FYI:

- Reign of Madness: continuation of and same quality as Harbinger of Madness
    - Devil Assault: fun and worth having, also epic, but very little content (1 quest & 1 raid)
    - Devils of Shavrath: above average but not great, terrible xp, but a really fun raid
    - Secrets of the Artificers: excellent ML18 beginner loot, decent quests, good raid

Gianthold and VON are both clear winners out of the packs you don't own. As for what else to get, based on your description:
    A Little info about my mindset/play-style:
    --
    - I pug most of the time (hate soloing);
    - I prefer diversity in quest content (don't like running many hack&slash quests in a row);
    - I usually don't raid (not enough time to solo learn raids, and pug groups usually just zerg through them and expect me to know their details);
    - I never TR'ed until now (might do it on some of my toons when Epic TR arrives, but just 2nd-3rd life max.);
    - Although I like good XP/loot like everyone else, I usually choose quest quality over stats/numbers (I prefer running unique and fun dungeons with no notable loot or xp than go through boring/repetitive good-xp ones, as long as I can easily get a group for them);
    - I don't farm quests for XP or completion rewards, unless absolutely needed;
    - I tend to run caster/cc or caster-hybrids builds (wiz/bard/druid/divines, sometimes w/ rogue splashes);
    - I have toons scattered throughout all the level-ranges (from lv4 to lv22).
    Based on the highlighted bits, I would say your next group of packs after GH and VON would ideally be:

Red Fens
    Harbinger of Madness
    Reign of Madness
    Necropolis 4
    Necropolis 3

And then the next set of good choices after those two groups would be:

Devil Assault
    Sentinels of Stormreach
    Secrets of the Artificers

The only curve ball in this is Necropolis 3. Based on how you describe what you're looking for, I think Necropolis 3 might be up your alley. It's definitely known for having a unique quest mechanic that isn't just hack n slash, that's for sure. It's also pretty well suited for casters, even moreso if you rogue splash. Be aware that there's a chance you'll absolutely HATE it, though. I could also say the same of Necropolis 4, on both counts. (Unusual mechanics, chance you'll hate it.)

There's a good chance you'll absolutely love the look and feel of the two madness packs, and while harbinger is somewhat straightforward, reign is chock full of interesting, non-standard elements. It's madness, I tells ya!

Getting groups for the quests in Secrets of the Artificers can be rough.

Thanks for the quick and complete help Ellis (and for working on the remaining reviews. I'm sure it must require a respectable amount of work, but it's an huge help to premium players, especially the ones less familiar with the game).

I'll definitely get Gianthold then. Based on your feedback, I'll rule out Secrets for now (playing alone bores me completely, especially in high-levels). I'll check over the course of this weekend if VoN and Fens are run enough on my server to justify the purchase, because both seem to have very nice reasons for owning them (not sure if they overlap each other, given the level range). I was almost decided to skip the Madness packs, but now I'm having doubts again :P, I'll check some videos (while trying to avoid major quest spoilers, eheh) to see how they look. All the others, I'll probably wait for a future (hopefully better) sale. Thanks again ^^
    Last edited by A3oN95; 09-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A3oN95 View Post
    (not sure if they overlap each other, given the level range)
    They overlap in the heroic levels but they both offer epic content, and you can never have enough epic content to run from 20-28.

That's also a point in favor of Sentinels, so if having epic content is a priority throw Sentinels in the mix. I pushed it down to the third list because it's probably the worst of the epic packs. But again, epic packs are like pizza: Even when they're bad they're good.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

My 2cp to noticable loot cathegories:

Path of Inspiration offers excelent gloves to all melees with less than 12 levels of fighter: +6 str for a minute, 3 times (recharge 1/rest), with passive boost to HP regeneration to warforged.

Ruins of Threneal: Once worthless Threnalian War Blade, in U17, received 2 augment slots, red and purple, making it the best low level caster stick (+15 implement bonus- just put in 2 rubies of level appropriate spellpower and enjoy). Its BtCoE, so it can be bought, but bellive me, I tried, and never saw one, because people hate this pack.

Community Member

Life did something unexpected and I'm unlikely to finish these reviews. Either way, Ellis, you rock for putting this thread together.
    Thelanis: Ikeren --- Paladin, Life 2 (Past Life: Cleric). Dylas --- Cleric late teens, Life 1.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyTheJourney View Post
    I respectfully disagree about Catacombs gear all being un-noteworthy. It has the Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, an endlessly recharging source of healing. For an experienced player it's probably a waste of an inventory slot because the rate of healing is too low for those with plenty of knowledge and resources to bother with it. For a newer player, however, an endlessly renewable source of healing (between fights, of course) will lead to many less quest failures and to a better ability to accumulate resources over time.

The Robe of Duality gets superseded soon, of course, but for its level it is also quite nice.

I mostly solo self-sufficient characters (ie: no hireling, they find their own stuff) and Catacombs is the first important AP they do, to get the Eternal Cure wand.
    There's also the Ring of the Archbishop, which, while not in any way spectacular, is an useful item for positive spellpower (nice in that it's devotion and Heal both). Many of my toons have used this at lowish levels, as I dislike switching weapons for self-healing.

Catacombs is also notable in that it's fairly easy to end up with a net gain in TP with it. At least compared to any other pack. Sure, that still requires umpteen toons (counting TR cycles) through it on Elite, but you can get 16 of those without rerolling or TRing. And anyway - nice favor-to-cost ratio, easy to get full favor, ...
    Last edited by mna; 10-08-2013 at 04:36 AM. Reason: 16, not 14.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

All finished, woot!

I got all the reviews done, verified all the pack prices, just now checked that all the additional reviews were linked in, and finally wrote up the buyer's guide. It ended up largely as I originally envisioned it, albeit a little wordy.

This ended up being significantly more work than I originally expected; including the summary info for each pack was surprisingly time consuming. I'd say looking up and linking to all that info doubled the time for each review compared to just writing the narratives.

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out but welcome any and all feedback. Write your own review of whatever pack and I'll link it in. No summary info needed, just do a narrative if you like. Corrections are of course welcome.

Having only run IQ maybe twice, High Road maybe 3 times and never yet setting foot in Shadowfell I left those three reviews empty. I'll make a point to run through those a few times on my current life and then add them in when I know them better, but in the meantime if anyone would like to review those that would be awesome.

Community Member

Great thread.

If you have family or run more than one account you can call turbine to buy larger pt packages and split the points between accounts.

There are triple point sales too, but lately they are tied to purchase of an expansion. Ie. 11000 TP for $60 with latest Shadowfell expansion. When linked to an expansion these TP sales are not split between different accounts.

For XP Vale and VON have helped me alot along the way. Tons of fun too. Must haves. Biggest XP generators in the game. Phiarlan has my favorite epic weapon obtained in one week average the Epic Antique Great Ax.

The most important item in the game is XP
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 11-09-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Default Excelent thread

Awesome work. I´m VIP and still find it really useful and fun to read.

Thanks for the kind words.

I made a few minor changes:
    - Added a link to the "sales" post to the OP to better highlight the sales history info
    - Split the sale history into four groups instead of two
    - Added a link to my new cannith challenge tutorials to the cannith challenge review

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the score of Three-Barrel Cove.

It's one I keep going back to, the Pirate Treasure Map is a very useful thing to keep a stockpile of, even at higher or epic levels. Being able to up your loot is something quite nice to have at any point. Makes getting tomes a bit easier

Community Member

Default Awesome Job

Wish I could just print out the whole thing as a book for my "2nd office reading"....

Again, great job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belleya View Post
    Wish I could just print out the whole thing as a book for my "2nd office reading"....
    Good idea.

Here is a printable pdf version. It's pretty sizable so it may take a bit to load.

Your best bet is to download the pdf to your hard drive using that link and then print the pdf. It's 51 pages long.

I edited the first post in the thread to highlight this option.

Good holiday sale going now. For the next two weeks, double bonus points and 25% off all packs. (Not challenges, but those aren't worth buying anyway.)

Community Member

A question for those with longer experience in the game -

How do pack prices in TP usually behave when they're being reworked? I seem to have noticed Sirgog's list having different prices for some than is current, and, well... I have some TP sitting around waiting for a pack sale.

I was actually hoping to get the Landlubber Bundle next even without the Three-Barrel Cove rework, and while I don't quite have enough already to buy it straight list price right now, I could reprioritize my playing a bit to get that extra bit of favor faster, if it were worthwhile (not sure if I could get there before the update, depends on real life, but I could try)... I could get it at -20% with what I have now.

What I'm asking is, from past Turbine behaviour, is it reasonable to expect for the bundle to remain available at all, and what kind of price? Or be included in the next regular pack sales afterwards?

(As to why the Landlubber Bundle? Well... Deneith favor for Sturdy Bolts for my repeater rogues, Elyd Edge for my bards, a bunch of stuff for everyone from Attack, enough total favor to get over the 2k hump easily, ... and a slightly better deal than getting those packs separately.)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Well, the only direct experience I have with something like this is when Gianthold went epic in U17. Its price did not change.

There have been many price changes since sirgog's thread. As far as I'm aware, none of them corresponded to changes in the packs themselves. All the prices changes were just "rebalancing," as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Well, the only direct experience I have with something like this is when Gianthold went epic in U17. Its price did not change.

There have been many price changes since sirgog's thread. As far as I'm aware, none of them corresponded to changes in the packs themselves. All the prices changes were just "rebalancing," as far as I can tell.
    Gianthold is the best example, but to add to it, there were also several ebberon packs that gained epic level quests (before epic levels existed) and they did not go up in price either.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast