Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Wait a minute... Am I understanding this correctly?

Our "host of new Epic Spells & Feats" includes just four spells that are actually feats that aren't any more epic than regular spells? Please tell me I'm missing something important here. No, I don't have a bunch of capped destinies so I can't see the list. Are there any of this "host" that are worth taking? If so, what sphere(s) are they attached to?
    From my play experience none are worth taking.

Well there's Epic Haste, which, I dunno, it makes you as fast as regular haste permanently but doesn't stack and costs a feat?

They obviously took some from D20 Epic, (see here) but failed to scale them up to DDO's essentially double+ powered everything. For example, in D&D, a Warforged Colossus is 60d12+1200 (1920 hp) CR60 creature. In DDO a CR60 with 2k HP dies in one hit, so they scaled it all up so that creature would have something stupid like 192000 HP instead. Fine. We know this. So scale up the epic feats to compensate for that. At level 28 on a fully geared/buffed/optimized toon, I should not have to think about wilderness trash as more than an annoyance, not a very real possible death at the hands of me being dumb around artificially buffed nonsense. I should be killing them in 2 to 3 hits tops. Just long enough where I get distracted from something meaner coming up on me. Throw a crabload of them at me, have them do properly scaled damage, but don't insult me by throwing a bunch of dogs at me that individually takes me(or anyone) a while to beat down for no real reason except "well we had to do something".

Lookin at that feat list: Collossal Wild Shape as a Druid epic feat would be awesome in this game. Your werebear buddy just suddenly the size of a house next to you rampaging across the map, how cool is that? But no, we get Hellball.
    Last edited by Firepants; 09-03-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Wait a minute... Am I understanding this correctly?

Our "host of new Epic Spells & Feats" includes just four spells that are actually feats that aren't any more epic than regular spells? Please tell me I'm missing something important here. No, I don't have a bunch of capped destinies so I can't see the list. Are there any of this "host" that are worth taking? If so, what sphere(s) are they attached to?
    I tried out Hellball with poor results. Not only is the animation is very underwhelming compared to its name, but the damage was roughly 200 per element even with most of my secondary spell powers in the upper 200s. Ruin, on the other hand, has hit for several thousand to at least 13,000. Looks like I'll have to pay up to swap it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mithiirym View Post
    I tried out Hellball with poor results. Not only is the animation is very underwhelming compared to its name, but the damage was roughly 200 per element even with most of my secondary spell powers in the upper 200s. Ruin, on the other hand, has hit for several thousand to at least 13,000. Looks like I'll have to pay up to swap it out.
    Why does Ruin hit so hard? What specific spell power works on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Why does Ruin hit so hard? What specific spell power works on it?
    It's untyped; it does 500 damage, base, which is higher than the maximum of Energy Burst. It is modified by metamagics and Impulse spellpower. It has no save.

Granted, it is balanced by its super-high cost. It's really the only truly "epic" feat among all the 27 feats.
    Last edited by djl; 09-04-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xaxx View Post
    A lot of the ddo epic destiny feats are screwed up in what they say they need.

Like the spell power feats... even with CAPPED (not tier 5 but full exp) draconic they wont show up, with CAPPED magister they don't show up.
    So I wasn't the only one...
    I think maybe you have to cap an ED after the update for it to work? I had capped Draconic, and it didn't work, so I capped Magister and then it worked...

Community Member

Default Fuzzy Bunny Streamer

So I finally got to 28, couldn't see any useful feats in the list so decided to try out hellball despite the bad things I had heard. I haven't used my +20 heart yet so I was not too worried if I hated it. I could always pick another element for more spell power. Anyway, there I was all loaded up with my first EPIC spell . . Hellball. That's right its called Hellball people. I was ready to see a giant, writhing ball of flaming, acidy, lightning ridden power screaming forth from my outstretched war forgey fingers.

Instead I see a fuzzy little purple whimper pop out and meander its way toward a giant. There were some slight visual effects which were overpowered by the standard damage numbers running up the screen. Hahahahaha I laughed, Hellball? ? ? Fuzzy Bunny Streamer is a more accurate description. Perhaps it is some sort of camouflage because despite Hellball's excruciatingly slow pace, the giant didn't move and it actually hit him. I mean if it actually looked like what I was expecting, any self respecting giant would have moseyed on out of the way before it got there.

To be fair it was powerful enough on my Sorc to generally instakill two out of three mobs out in epic gianthold, but I was just alone so the mobs were scaled all the way down and for the price it wouldn't be my first choice. I might keep it though. The only other semi useful feat option I saw at 28 for a caster was taking 20 more spell power in my secondary element. It might be mildly entertaining to bring it out to mix things up a bit when spell points aren't an issue.

It did get me wondering that maybe the designer of the Hellball animation is the same person who decided that the icon for the earth savant elemental form should be a golden pile of excrement. Or maybe that little golden pile is just to represent the usefulness of that new feature as well . . . A little inside rebellion at having to make up art for a feature that will never get used perhaps? You tell me . . .

On a side note, thanks to the forums, I was forewarned about the epic feat bugs and so made sure to finish off a 2nd arcane destiny before taking 26 so I could at least take the spell power feat there in my primary element.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12