Since you can't have Bags of Holding in Portable Holes. . .(even ripped ones, apparently) What if you had to make a choice as to which House you would "live-in" at one time?
What if I a player wanted to "give up" extra storage options temporarily because they might desire other benefits? The ability to swap House might only be done around certain NPCs. . .like swapping Epic Destinies. . .only it would be "Deeds" that are swapped.
Deeds would allow Housing to have individual benefits that are unique to each but you can only have one designated at any time.
The only thing connecting all houses (initially) are that they are existing instances stripped of all mobs. . .and provide a single "always-on" passive bonus. . .you could only have one deed at a time, in a Housing Slot in the Inventory Screen, similar to Cosmetic Slots. . .perhaps you could purchase additional deeds though or receive them as rare drops. The point is, you might own several housing deeds, but could only have one actively declared as your "Home".
That way, they are simple, providing only a single benefit and easy to code, they are just existing instances stripped of all mobs and enabling use of all levers/doors, but physically the same. . .obviously, the new areas going forward would be easier to code, as they are simply a version of the instance that has not been populated yet. . .as opposed to one that has Mobs/AI stripped from it. . .there may be versions of these instances in the "legacy code" already too. . .and making them functional would just mean having both versions be able to exist side-by-side. . .the one with scripting and the one without.
Simple to ignore what you don't like. . .inexpensive to code. . .and each Housing form gets only a single unique buff or feature to code. . .I would think deeds could vary from 200 TP-4000ish TP depending on the code re-work/development time required to revert each instance to the pre-populated state and add buffs. . .if they would be too expensive then obviously don't make them unless there is overwhelming demand, at some point.
- Castle (MOAR storage, Archmage's teleport to Castle roof is entrance)
(Storm the Beaches/Sentinels of Stormreach)
- Companion Airship (small airship, extends buff durations/can link up with guild ships)
(The Tide Turns/Sentinels Of Storrmreach)
- Room Key* (allows you to quickly travel to an inn that you have the room key for)
- Inn/Tavern** Scrawled Deed (might give a passive buff to a single skill or lore bonus for 21+ total inns)
- Chapter House (customizable Guild Hall with different plants/skins/NPC armor kits/paint)
- Caravan (more gems in loot, lol, we know they can do this one or perhaps +1 stackable loot boost)
(Desert Caravan/Sand of Menechatarun)
- Mansion (challenges have unransackable xp, so extra xp from challenges would make sense)
(Dr. Rushmore's Mansion/Vault of the Artificers)
- Hunting Lodge (+10 Hide/MS buff or CL buff to make Ranger DC-based casting more viable at endgame)
- Store (auction/shard interface with cheaper fees OR converting BtC items to ???)
- Pawnshop (able to post items until sold that players can purchase and Haggle skill reduces Posting Fee)
- Workshop (increases crafting essences granted from devices buff)
(Haywire Foundry/Vault of Night)
- Slave-Mining Camp (+Hardness/Durability stacking buff OR stacking % to avoid dmg buff)
- Droaam Ship (un-destroyed mine-laying ship; 10% stacking bonus to Harbor XP quests OR addl. dmg to mines/traps)
(Blockade Buster/Attack on Stormreach)
- Village (Villagers could provide you with random Ingredients on a cooldown timer)
- Manor (Not released, but lots of doors IIRC maybe someone could make a suggestion)
(Haunted Halls Of Eveningstar)
- House K Security Office (Reduce Ransack timer from Breakables, might require duration buff for this one)
(Vault of Night/"")
- Portable Hole (perhaps allowing you to travel to any of your deeds, if you own multiple)
Turbine could allow you to travel to any of the Housing locations, perhaps even simply to whichever location is in the deed slot by typing "/home". If necessary, or to avoid the command line, the buttons with the Passport login option could be made smaller to accomodate another button that allows you to teleport directly to the "Home" from login.
A good rule-of-thumb might be to include 3 or so types of Housing initially (popular ones I tried to put at top, complicated ones on the bottom!), and maybe add an additional 1-2 depending on workload per update as bugs are fixed in old quests and mob interactions/AI are improved. Turbine can save another copy of the instance without mobs, at the same time that they troubleshoot.
This iteration assumes that there is:
- 1. Much more simplicity (esp. regarding Companions in Housing)
- 2. Little duplication of work, as changes are made as Mob AI is improved.
- 3. Only existing instances used so the graphical changes are kept to a bare minimum.
- 4. No forced overlap with companions or gating people to purchase ddo store items to interact with npcs.
- 5. Old versions of instances without mobs may already be available in the legacy code.
*should be under 50 TP one-time use and easily attainable from Loot (also probably plat cost from Inn)
ie. You could also trade room keys to your friends and hold Deeds/Keys in a specical folder.
**should be under 600 TP and permanent version of Room Key as well as passive buff (Inns in Marketplace/Harbor should be the most common drops!)
What do you think about Houses also having a Plat Maintainence Fee?
There are 8 F2P options (including Vault of the Artificers one), is that enough F2P options, or are there other quests that might lend themselves to conversion to a Housing system with Deeds?
Everyone's feedback gave me some other ideas! Thank you very much for that!!