Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default DDO is newbie unfriendly

Hi I didnt play more then year and I love the game so I grinded 1-18 in 3 days but now I am lost. I have absolutly no idea where all the new high level quests are. I searched wiki and found nothing as quide for example Gianthold go to market and speak with Cydonie. I need this kind of quide.

This game need serious work about this. It is like play hardcore game made for few ppl. I really understand why this game has so low population even if game it self is so great.

PS. I joined party asked where is the quest and no answer. Looks like hardcore veteran players dont like newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by desper View Post
    Hi I didnt play more then year and I love the game so I grinded 1-18 in 3 days but now I am lost. I have absolutly no idea where all the new high level quests are. I searched wiki and found nothing as quide for example Gianthold go to market and speak with Cydonie. I need this kind of quide.

This game need serious work about this. It is like play hardcore game made for few ppl. I really understand why this game has so low population even if game it self is so great.

PS. I joined party asked where is the quest and no answer. Looks like hardcore veteran players dont like newbies.
    ddowiki.com is your friend

most players don't answer where is the quest because it means that you will actually make the dungeon harder by you joining because your new and there is a bad dungeon scaling mechanic based on party size. This means that partying with a new player makes things harder. Because you're new you're also more likely to die and decrease the xp they are awarded. The system is set up so that it is very bad to run with new players.

Community Member

First off, I kinda agree with you - DDO is pretty newbie-unfriendly. It's easy to mess up your char, and it can be hard to fix. It can be difficult to absorb the private dictionary of acronyms, and it can feel pretty bad when the leetists kick you for being too slow or for dying.

However...

If you leveled 1-18 in 3 days, you are no longer a newbie.

Unless you're piking non-stop, your character obviously works reasonably-OK, and you'll have figured out things like Deathblock, Haste etc.

You also know about the Wiki.

You have all the tools you need, except some patience.

Aes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    First off, I kinda agree with you - DDO is pretty newbie-unfriendly. It's easy to mess up your char, and it can be hard to fix. It can be difficult to absorb the private dictionary of acronyms, and it can feel pretty bad when the leetists kick you for being too slow or for dying.

However...

If you leveled 1-18 in 3 days, you are no longer a newbie.

Unless you're piking non-stop, your character obviously works reasonably-OK, and you'll have figured out things like Deathblock, Haste etc.

You also know about the Wiki.

You have all the tools you need, except some patience.

Aes.
    Well I used to be hardcore player I played from start when was level 10 cap then I returned few times to play new content and I play FW sorc so I barely die with self heal I soloed elite quests on same level this is my 4th sorc now with 2 pal spread and going for shiradi.

I got tome of exp and it make huge exp diference my record is 48k exp for Gwylands elite. With this tome I leveled after like every 3-6 bigger dungeons

Well my point is when there are games with auto quide ingame and DDO will have hard time to hold new players and will slowly die. Look at really sucsesfull game like World of tanks is completly noob friendly game and there is 160k ppl playing in prime time every day on EU server and even more on RU server.

Community Member

I disagree. DDO is very newbie friendly, its almost impossible to die or fail a quest unless you seriously mess up. The biggest newbie trap is dead-end builds, but even then every character gets 1 free LR. And the game does hold your hand a lot, if you bother to read all the quest and flavor dialog. Plus DDO Wiki really does tell you exactly what to do and where.

There has to be some learning curve. If the game does EVERYTHING for you, its no longer a game, its just an interactive cutscene :P

By my own experience & observations, I must disagree.

This is my first MMO ever. I leveled my first toon (completely f2p account) to 20 with nothing but Gianthold (purchased with earned points). I only solo'd up to lvl 3, then started joining pugs, and somewhere around lvl 11-12ish I started posting them. I knew nothing about the wiki, never even touched it 'till I had been playing for over two years, and it was around the same time I learned about the forums (actually learned about the wiki from the forums). I was unguided until about 18 months ago, so no help there either. Only real knowledge I had coming into this game was a strong (decades of) pnp D&D background, which led to some bad DDO decisions

If such a total green horn as myself could come in and do that, anyone can. I actually found the in game clues about where to go and what to do quite sufficient, and community at large to be quite helpful. In my play experience, the "elitist jerks" largely don't pug (thus minimizing their impact on newbies), and are disproportionately represented on these forums - in my experience, there's a much higher ratio of "don't you cost me 10%!"ers vs "happy to help you out new guy" on the forums than there is in the game.

Sorry your new player experience sucked, but it was nothing like mine...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Level 18 in three days? Newbie unfriendly? Ransacked Gwylans for XP? Too many inconsistencies here.

Something is not right here. I have never leveled a character from 1 to 18 in three days. I also don't play 12 hours per day.

If you can figure out how to get to level 18 in three days, you surely have to be able to learn how to press M for map. Look at all the colored icons for names of quest givers. Press P for quest log. Look to see what house a quest is in.

It is not that difficult. I figured it out.

This is not the correct place to complain about your inability to learn where quests are if you can get to level 18 in three days.

To me, that just shows how NEWBIE EASY the game is.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Level 18 in three days? Newbie unfriendly? Ransacked Gwylans for XP? Too many inconsistencies here.
    He just confused newbie with noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post

most players don't answer where is the quest because it means that you will actually make the dungeon harder by you joining because your new and there is a bad dungeon scaling mechanic based on party size. This means that partying with a new player makes things harder. Because you're new you're also more likely to die and decrease the xp they are awarded. The system is set up so that it is very bad to run with new players.
    THe system is set up so that people who play like its the most important thing in life wont play with newbies. The hit for someone dying is so minute it affects only the weak of mind.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Well, that might have been an exception. There are many reasons, why someone does not want to answer.

Leave the group open an LFM according to your standards. You attract people, who are willing to help. If there aren't any people joining, that again might be a coincidence. Timezones and such make a big difference.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

yea quest and quest givers locations can be a little confusing... the wiki can be helpfull but it too can be confusing...

if your in decent group people will tell you where you need to go or asking in gen chat can be helpfull also

personaly i dont find it any more confusing than other mmos

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    , but even then every character gets 1 free LR.
    sorry if that might be abit offtopic but:
    every new chars gets a free LR?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post

Dude, let it go.

Your problem is skill, not scaling.

People were soloing Elites before scaling.

Elite is not that difficult.

Edit: Also the OP is not being entirely honest. or fair.
    Last edited by uncleblue; 09-02-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hucka View Post
    sorry if that might be abit offtopic but:
    every new chars gets a free LR?
    Yeah, talk to Cruz, everyone gets 1 free LR+0. Per char, not per life, so if you TR, you dont get another one.

Community Member

I think you have it wrong. DDO is unfriendly to newbies who have levelled too quickly. This, IMO, is a recent problem with the game that has appeared in the last 18 months with all the Exp-boosting things on offer.

DDO is not a typical MMO. It's a character development game. That's its big advantage over other zerg-build games. To develop a character, you need to do lots of quests of different types and in different groups. I love playing this game at the lower levels, progressing slowly and learning how my character works.

If you want to get to lev 20 in 3 days you should be playing a 1-player game on Playstation. So much of the fun and entertainment of this game is interraction and character development. Without that it's just WOW.

PS: I've never played WOW, I just assume its for geeky kids who have no real friends.

Do not join "Elite" groups if you are unfamiliar with the content.

Oh and try playing "DDO" instead of "DDO Wiki Online", DDO is a much more fun game to search in.

Quote Originally Posted by uncleblue View Post
    Dude, let it go.

Your problem is skill, not scaling.

People were soloing Elites before scaling.

Elite is not that difficult.

Edit: Also the OP is not being entirely honest. or fair.
    Yup and I can solo most of them with a full party of stones in my backpack, I just don't like to and see no reason to carry people to xp while they cost me xp that I wouldn't have lost if I soloed it and had it easier from them not being there. That's the problem, it's actually easier to run the quests without puggers and grants more xp. Yes 10% isn't 10% it's 10% of base but solo I get it all and with puggers you tend to not get it. The death penalty is greater than zero so it is a penalty.

DDO becomes more newbie-friendly with every update.

Community Member

Odd OP information aside, yes, I could imagine a brand new player attempting to power level a toon on their first go will find things a bit confusing. Most new players explore and find quests. You aren't giving yourself time to do this, so I can understand. Turbine has begun to implement a system that gives you more direction. I'm not sure what else to say, other than it may be beneficial to learn your way around before attempting to power level.

Community Member

Hey don't worry too much, just have fun. The game is hard to learn at first. Finding quests is a huge pain in the ass in wilderness areas like Gianthold, or The Sands. A lot of lfms are newb unfriendly player base is too.

Put up a lfm for need guide. Can try to follow the ddo wiki map, use Google translator on wiki if you cant make out most of it. If you get lucky you may find some players who dont mind or actually enjoy showing the ropes to newer players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast