Results 1 to 20 of 35

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    42

    Default Help me customizing a battle cleric

    Hi!

    I'm a returning player, find this new enhncement system a bit confusing yet, I would like to hear some ideas about how to optimize a my gf's character, a cleric/fighter halfling who uses great axes.

    So far there is a lvl 6 cleric/ lvl 1 fighter lawful good halfling (for flavor) I'd like to continue from here, but have that lesser lr +20 if really necessary. The char in it's second life (we TR-ed when we came back to start from lvl 1)

    starting stats:
    s: 15 (all lvl up here)
    d: 10
    c: 14
    i: 12 (to have max heal, spellcraft, conc, some jump..)
    w: 14
    ch:13 (to use divine might later)

    in previous life it was 18 cleric/2 fighter, want something similar: so a melee great axe user with spells. But the game has changed a lot.. in the past getting fighter 2 for the str enhancement was a good deal, but now there are many other sources of damage as i see, less feat requirements for prestige classes.

    any idea how to develop the character? no clonk, please, i think it's too late to get rogue levels unless lr again. i was thinking 19 cleric/1 fighter, or maybe 14 cleric/6 fighter (divine might+ kensei psionic stuff fo high str)
    I'd like to have big melee dps, but i also think the new spell like abilities are good options even w/o big investments (searing light for exmaple). I1d like to hear ideas about which tree is the best for this character. in the past it had the healing aura and my gf liked it.

    thx

  2. #2
    Community Member Mrphish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Have you considered a deeper split? like say... cleric(14) Fighter(4) monk/rogue(2)

    cleric - decent spell list

    Fighter - feats, feats, also some good options for dps enhancements.

    Monk - moderate amount of skill points, evasion, feats, acess to some moderately useful enhancements.

    Rogue - large amount of skill points, evasion, sneak attack.

    I personally prefer the monk route, because im a feats junkie. i think this would give you more of a melee dps focus, along with some more added survivability.

    Then again this is just theory, never played a melee cleric myself... so i'd wait for others to chime in with their thoughts.
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Ghallanda - || Mrchicken 15 rogue assassin ( life 3/???) ||Katsuu - 7 dark monk || Mrphish - 16 arti || Pixelation 16 wf bardbarian
    Sarlona - ||pixxel - 10 barbarian ||

  3. #3
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    I played my "battle" cleric (yeah, I hate that term.) three ways.
    1) Greataxes+manyshot (for burst dps),
    2) Greataxes w/ THF chain (just to try it),
    3) Staves, centered in master of earth.

    Personally, I prefer #3, but they all use the same split - 17/2/1 cleric/monk/ranger. I wanted Heal, Mass and Energy Drain from level 9 cleric spells, evasion and bow str from ranger.

    In hindsight, now that I use a staff, I still like ranger. It gives me 1d6 sneak attack, +3 reflex and 75 positive energy.

    Monk gives ninja spy sneak attack, less threat, dodge and some reflex, along with Quick Strike, staff damage and Fists of Iron for centered staff clerics

    And.. cleric gives spells.

    My thoughts are simple - pick an option out of: Spells, or Melee.
    You can't excel at both (unless you're a clonk, but they lack higher melee dps), and investing heavily in either makes the other worse.

    If you want to run around with a greataxe, my only healing feats would be emp. heal and Quicken - nothing else. Without the other feats, spells are a joke - with the other feats, melee would be worse, and I'd be better off just using spells.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    359

    Default

    The protection tree is supposed to be shifted to a Warpriest tree in the near future, so you might be interested in waiting until you see what that brings.
    Thelanis: Ikeren, Paladin 7. Dylas --- Cleric 21.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the right spot at the right time.
    Posts
    1,127

    Default

    Are you taking it to epic.

    I like this splash for a "Melee Cleric"

    CLR17/WIZ1

    WIZ1 gives you another feat, Master's touch for Martial Prof, Some access to wands and scrolls like Teleport ML7 (25% chance, but they are cheap to use).

    CLR17 gives you Mass Heal, and your second Rez or Implosion and Energy Drain.

    The debate for me now is whether to take FTR1 or FTR2 at Character lvl 19 and 20 cause Cleric 18 gives you some nice spells. Toughness feat may also not be necessary anymore.

    If you want to melee all you need is Power Attack and Improved Critical Slash for 2hdrs for heroic lvls. Cleave is nice with Paralyzers for Heroic lvls. For Epic and Epic Destinies you need Cleave. Cleave gets you Momentum Swing and Lay Waste.

    Divine Might is ok, but maybe not worth the CHR investment. Turns are a plenty now for Aura and Bursts. I dump CHR a while back, and still do.

    If you are going to melee get the STR up to 23 for Overwhelming Critical Epic feat unless you are going to TR. STR16 +2 tome +5 lvlups = 23

    I try to take a Min of WIS14 and more like 16, but I like the generalist build and think Clerics can get away with it with all the epic destinies to help casting.

    After all you will always be best at healing. Everything else is just flavor for Hard and Epic Hard when you just want to save time and get it done.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 09-05-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

  6. #6
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    Are you taking it to epic.

    I try to take a Min of WIS14 and more like 16, but I like the generalist build and think Clerics can get away with it with all the epic destinies to help casting.

    After all you will always be best at healing. Everything else is just flavor for Hard and Epic Hard when you just want to save time and get it done.
    If you aren't building for epics, roll whatever you want, it'll be fine.

    My cleric has min wis of 12, just throws on a wisdom item. (I [i]could[i/] start with 8, but that's because I have a bigass wisdom tome.)

    Please tell me you don't mean to say a cleric is a healbot, and melee is flavour in elite. Heroic elite, hah. Why not melee? Epic elite? Hah. Just have better gear, then get back to meleeing.

  7. #7
    Community Member eachna_gislin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post

    My thoughts are simple - pick an option out of: Spells, or Melee.
    You can't excel at both (unless you're a clonk, but they lack higher melee dps), and investing heavily in either makes the other worse.

    If you want to run around with a greataxe, my only healing feats would be emp. heal and Quicken - nothing else. Without the other feats, spells are a joke - with the other feats, melee would be worse, and I'd be better off just using spells.
    I'd agree with much of Soulfurnace's advise except a couple extra notes...

    1) I'd take enough in the Radiant Servant tree to get the burst. You don't need the aura, but the burst is really nice on a melee cleric and still heals those close by in combat. It takes 10 ap spent in Radiant servant and costs 1 ap. I bought 3 Extra Turning, 3 Wand Mastery (for the scrolls), and 2 Altruism. 1 Bliss instead of 2 Altruism might also be a viable choice.

    2) For Casting feats, I'd recommend three. Quicken, Empower Healing, and Maximize. All three work on the burst, and at least two out of three work on most other useful cleric spells. Being able to Maximize spells that allow saves for half damage still allows you to toss out a something effective before going all out with your weapon. A battle cleric should not ignore their spells (if you want to play a self healing fighter there are better options). Instead, they should make judicious use of the "save for half" mechanic to their advantage. With fighter levels you can afford the third feat.

    As you're already planning to do, go two handed fighting. Two weapon fighting is just too expensive feat wise and doesn't really gain you any DPS benefits. A Min 2 great axe and a later epic Antique Great Axe both make effective DR breakers for play and there's a nice selection of great swords and great axes in the game. If you can afford the greensteel mats, a triple positive maul or qstaff for blunt undead bashing is a nice extra.

  8. #8
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    Elite and Epic Elite requires a balanced group at level IMHO. If you want a Cleric to be effective casting or melee in EE and Elite content you need so much gear that it is just not worth my time.

    I am casual and casual with gear. I hate grinding and prefer to just buy Concentrated Major mana pots at the DDO store if quests are tough due to lack of gear. I seem to burn pots more in EE content than anything else. At 7 cents a pot from..... 11000 TP@ $60, and Major Mana pots on sale at 1121 TP for 100 pots, so $60/11,000TP * 1121TP = $6.11/100pots = 6 cents a mana pot.

    So you can build however you want for E and EE too. And you support the game and keep the servers running.
    Um. My cleric is quite fine. I haven't spent much time grinding gear, mainly just lootgen+commendation awards (And Sireth, fine!), but I'm doing just great in EE on my battle cleric.

    For heroics, HAH. They're a joke. I don't buy sp pots, nor farm gear.
    Meh, we play differently. I get bored healbotting, because it's easy - I can do it while getting most kills in EE. That's just me though.

    Quote Originally Posted by eachna_gislin View Post
    I'd agree with much of Soulfurnace's advise except a couple extra notes...

    1) I'd take enough in the Radiant Servant tree to get the burst. You don't need the aura, but the burst is really nice on a melee cleric and still heals those close by in combat. It takes 10 ap spent in Radiant servant and costs 1 ap. I bought 3 Extra Turning, 3 Wand Mastery (for the scrolls), and 2 Altruism. 1 Bliss instead of 2 Altruism might also be a viable choice.

    2) For Casting feats, I'd recommend three. Quicken, Empower Healing, and Maximize. All three work on the burst, and at least two out of three work on most other useful cleric spells. Being able to Maximize spells that allow saves for half damage still allows you to toss out a something effective before going all out with your weapon. A battle cleric should not ignore their spells (if you want to play a self healing fighter there are better options). Instead, they should make judicious use of the "save for half" mechanic to their advantage. With fighter levels you can afford the third feat.

    As you're already planning to do, go two handed fighting. Two weapon fighting is just too expensive feat wise and doesn't really gain you any DPS benefits. A Min 2 great axe and a later epic Antique Great Axe both make effective DR breakers for play and there's a nice selection of great swords and great axes in the game. If you can afford the greensteel mats, a triple positive maul or qstaff for blunt undead bashing is a nice extra.
    I picked up Aura - found it worth it.
    Quicken and emp heal yes, I left out maximize. Master stances+OC+Epic toughness... No spare feats.
    If you're using a staff (Which is superior to my greataxe, though not sure about ESOS), swap THF feats for master stances. Erath <3

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the right spot at the right time.
    Posts
    1,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Um. My cleric is quite fine. I haven't spent much time grinding gear, mainly just lootgen+commendation awards (And Sireth, fine!), but I'm doing just great in EE on my battle cleric.

    For heroics, HAH. They're a joke. I don't buy sp pots, nor farm gear.
    Meh, we play differently. I get bored healbotting, because it's easy - I can do it while getting most kills in EE. That's just me though.


    I picked up Aura - found it worth it.
    Quicken and emp heal yes, I left out maximize. Master stances+OC+Epic toughness... No spare feats.
    If you're using a staff (Which is superior to my greataxe, though not sure about ESOS), swap THF feats for master stances. Erath <3

    Running a Cleric that can not even Maximize Divine Punishment! Yeah. Not a good idea. That is giving up a lot of damage output. I think empower is a must too IMHO, but to not take maximize for it is just a bad idea. Especially now that Maximize sp cost is easily reduced.

    Clerics that plan on melee should be using Divine Punishment at the same time if they are meleeing bosses and some red/orange names. Maximize is a must have for that. Without Maximize you are a healbot. lol
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matezzo View Post
    Hi!

    I'm a returning player, find this new enhncement system a bit confusing yet, I would like to hear some ideas about how to optimize a my gf's character, a cleric/fighter halfling who uses great axes.

    So far there is a lvl 6 cleric/ lvl 1 fighter lawful good halfling (for flavor) I'd like to continue from here, but have that lesser lr +20 if really necessary. The char in it's second life (we TR-ed when we came back to start from lvl 1)

    starting stats:
    s: 15 (all lvl up here)
    d: 10
    c: 14
    i: 12 (to have max heal, spellcraft, conc, some jump..)
    w: 14
    ch:13 (to use divine might later)

    in previous life it was 18 cleric/2 fighter, want something similar: so a melee great axe user with spells. But the game has changed a lot.. in the past getting fighter 2 for the str enhancement was a good deal, but now there are many other sources of damage as i see, less feat requirements for prestige classes.

    any idea how to develop the character? no clonk, please, i think it's too late to get rogue levels unless lr again. i was thinking 19 cleric/1 fighter, or maybe 14 cleric/6 fighter (divine might+ kensei psionic stuff fo high str)
    I'd like to have big melee dps, but i also think the new spell like abilities are good options even w/o big investments (searing light for exmaple). I1d like to hear ideas about which tree is the best for this character. in the past it had the healing aura and my gf liked it.

    thx
    Seems to me like the goal is more of just leveling to have some fun, so we will ignore anything related to epics.

    Try out the divine disciple tree for the SLAs, but be sure to pick up maximize and empower first, there is no added cost with these on the way up. I have my own divine disciple and love it, especially out in desecrated temple of vol. Won't have all the fancy bursts and such for healing, but if something is already dead before it hits you do you need the healing?

    A second option would be the defensive tree, at tier 5 it gives a permanent blur, and adds the spell into the cleric book at level 3 i think. Great if you don't have a wizard/bard/sorc to pass out blur. Various stuff in the tree will boost hitpoints and armor class, making the cleric more durable when in there swinging the greataxe. Not tried one myself (i did try a mix of one with 6 cleric and 6 paladin but did not run a lot of quests), but it should be pretty tough and need less healing. I'd think grab empower heal then whatever other feats you wanted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload