Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

It's a game, not a national security database.

They do not triple redundant everything because that would be expensive.

If they have one provider, with no alternative, and a flood knocked out/destroyed the hardline....

Enjoy your holiday with a barbecue or a day at the beach or something.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHADOWVINES View Post
    I don't have alot of respect for DDO devs I mean come on

This happened last year.
    Please stop bashing the developers.

This is nothing like your example.

Have you even met anyone from the Dev team?

If you can do it better than them, show me YOUR game.

**** happens sometimes. It's a game. Deal with it already.

Quote Originally Posted by uncleblue View Post
    Please stop bashing the developers.

This is nothing like your example.

Have you even met anyone from the Dev team?

If you can do it better than them, show me YOUR game.

**** happens sometimes. It's a game. Deal with it already.
    Actually I developed one of the first 3d MMO's ever it was called "Twilight Lands" we sold it to total entertainment network who is no longer in business. I am an IT Manager for a bank now. I understand I may be bashing them a bit
    but they are a 160 million dollar company with major corporate backing they have the money for a triple redundant system.

And I almost never get to play this game its the only game I have and I was looking foward to this weekend its the first actual break I've had in month's.
    "Being a pacifist in between wars is like being a vegetarian in between meals"
    Anyone can be a pacifist if the conflict isnt Affecting them.

Community Member

My gut tells me that the launcher is working to a point, ONLY so that they can advertise that they are working on it to EVERYONE.

I am curious what ISP has a large outage like this and we do not hear about people without internet entirely?

Offices are in Boston, is there a large portion of Boston without internet today?

My gut also tells me this problem is not entirely "external".
    Weren't there some really bad storms in the NE yesterday? I heard there was flooding in some areas. Maybe that is what caused it.

My gut tells me that the launcher is working to a point, ONLY so that they can advertise that they are working on it to EVERYONE.

I am curious what ISP has a large outage like this and we do not hear about people without internet entirely?

Offices are in Boston, is there a large portion of Boston without internet today?

My gut also tells me this problem is not entirely "external".
    http://downdetector.com/status/comcast-xfinity/boston

seems Comcast is having a little trouble in many areas...read the comments.
    Thelanis - Proud Officer of DWAT
    Merkury - McKormic - Nykole - Merkormic - Mckorc - Gemineye - Magisterr - Metaphysics

Record expires on 14-Jun-2012.
    Record created on 26-Aug-2004.
    It looks like they got your message and renewed it XD

Record expires on 14-Jun-2017.
    Record created on 26-Aug-2004.
    Database last updated on 2-Sep-2013 13:39:50 EDT.

It only took them 9 min from when you posted.
    The more I learn the less I know.

Community Member

It's a game, not a national security database.

They do not triple redundant everything because that would be expensive.

If they have one provider, with no alternative, and a flood knocked out/destroyed the hardline....

Enjoy your holiday with a barbecue or a day at the beach or something.
    Not acceptable.

Look, I understand your point, that this isn't some major important installation, but keep in mind that a business exists because of the service it provides. If it does not treat its customers as "important" enough to provide redundant means to service that need, then that business loses customers and without customers it serves no point in existing.

These days, redundancy is a way of life. It isn't like it was 20-30 years ago or more where such solutions were beyond expensive and reserved for only top level services. Redundancy is very easily achieved IF you plan for it and make necessary steps to deal with such issues. In fact, there are entire focuses in network engineering that deal with this specifically.

Keep in mind, I am not looking at this issue from a perspective of an adolescent who wants to play their game, but from the perspective of a business professional who knows and understands the processes of building redundancy within your business environment.

If you make a habit of ignoring these things and then waving your hand at your customers when the problems arise as you seem to imply they should, well... it is a good way to go out of business and the last time I checked, DDO wasn't some top AAA game with millions of subscribers. They can't afford to dismiss their customer base. Especially in a declining industry such as this. They need to have redundancy in their systems that anticipate things like this and provide a reasonable turnaround to functionality.

Going down for as long as they have on this issue, well... it has amature hour written all over it. Maybe they need to spend some of that money on their network engineering teams? Nah, just tell the customers to suck it up, you don't want to waste the time or resources on such.

actually I did a little looking and I did discover the issue

http://www.turbine.com/en/careers

look dad! I'm driving with no Engineers!

/facepalm

also the main circuits to ddo.com are back up so now we are just waiting for someone to reboot the login server or something.
    "Being a pacifist in between wars is like being a vegetarian in between meals"
    Anyone can be a pacifist if the conflict isnt Affecting them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gemineye View Post
    http://downdetector.com/status/comcast-xfinity/boston

seems Comcast is having a little trouble in many areas...read the comments.
    Yeeesh

Community Member

I am under the impression that Turbine is trying to maintain their servers in-house and use an ISP to provide internet access. It may be that the cost would be too great to use a Server Farm and to collocate their Servers, but their services would be a lot more stable.

Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Community Member

actually I did a little looking and I did discover the issue

http://www.turbine.com/en/careers

look dad! I'm driving with no Engineers!

/facepalm

also the main circuits to ddo.com are back up so now we are just waiting for someone to reboot the login server or something.
    Seems like you may be right.

This issue is one we've seen before with a slight twist. This was again a routing issue with a very large internet backbone provider and how it routes traffic in and out of our data center provider (so you're talking 2 layers removed from our direct ability to 'fix it'). The issue also created a cascade issue when the routes were reset that didn't play well with some of the switches and routing hardware in the data center. This is why we've been working through the night with our vendors (provider, hardware, consultants, and others) to make sure each step of the connection from our service through various vendors services and products was checked, doubled checked, and confirmed to be either working correctly or needed to be addressed. We continue to do so, though we believe we are much closer to a resolution than at any point in the past several hours and we feel we are very close to restoring services.
    No backup redundancy solution for ISPs? Route propagation causing the entire network to destabilize? Hmm...

Community Member

Default Servers are up BTW

Servers are up BTW

Community Member

Actually, I don't think it matters at all if Turbine is responsible or if it is some external problem.
    It has happened in August, it has happened now. Chances are it can (and most likely will) happen again. Not once, but many times in the future.

So the real question everyone has to ask themselves is not "who is responsible?" but "how unreliable will the game continue to be?".

That is what will drive players away, unfortunately.
    Even if Turbine is indeed not responsible for the problems, they'll lose players and can't even do anything about it.

If a train breaks down/is delayed regularly, people will eventually use another means of transport. It matters not why it broke down or is delayed - all that matters is the simple fact that it IS broken/delayed. That's the real problem.

Community Member

Default can get to log in

can get to the log in page, comes up with error.

two days gone and counting.

Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!

Servers are up now, so closing this thread to prevent confusion.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12