Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Reason DDO is down: Pando has shutdown and Turbine failed again to plan for this

Per Pando`s web site:

<<Dear Pando users!

We have some bittersweet news.

Since our creation of Pando in 2005, we’ve helped more than 27 million people share files with each other. But all good things come to an end.

On August 31, we will be shutting down the Pando service.

Additionally, as of August 12, you will no longer be able to upload files using the Pando service, only download.

If you are a Pando Pro user, don’t worry! We will be happy to issue you a partial refund for the remaining time you have on your subscription. Simply email us at support@pando.com with Refund in the subject line to start the process.

We’d like to thank everyone who’s been with us through the years and helped make Pando the great program that it was.
    Thanks for sharing!

We may be sunsetting Pando, but we won’t leave you in the dark.

We’d like to point you to a few alternatives for all your file-sending needs:

DropBox

RapidShare

WeTransfer

(Please note that we are not in any way affiliated with these sites. We just wanted to share some other sharing options!)

Pando might be gone, but that doesn’t mean you have to stop sharing!

If you are looking for a Pando Business or Game Download solution, or if you are an existing Pando Game Download solution customer, then please contact RELOADED TECHNOLOGIES. Reloaded is currently upgrading Pando’s customers to its proprietary “Super Node Delivery™” system to handle large, reliable and scalable download operations>>

Turbine failing to come clean, blaming it on a 3rd party when in reality they knew or should have known this was happening a month ago. Turbine failed to to prepare for this.

This reminds of the time Turbine failed to renew their domain names
    Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I ran Where there is Smoke ELITE on a level 4, first life 28 hit point rogue, never TRd, no guild buffs, using a hireling cleric. One shotted two times at the first dog area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!
    Main toons on G-land: Home of Tesrali build 2.0

Oh look, a second thread in a matter of seconds. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH PANDO! NOTHING! Pando is a download program, it has NOTHING to do with being able to log into the game.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Unless of course, the launcher that we use to log into said game has a single line of code that requires you to check with Pando in order to continue...

But it probably doesn't (I mean they had months to fix that line right?)

It's completely coincidental that the launcher won't run at the exact moment Pando went offline.

Hero

Stop believing everything you read on Facebook. Most, if-not-all of it is false.

But I do have beachfront property in Idaho you should look at.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Arnez View Post
    Unless of course, the launcher that we use to log into said game has a single line of code that requires you to check with Pando in order to continue...
    Pando shut down Saturday, so if it was Pando then nobody would have been able to log in anytime on Sunday. And I was playing until 3pm my time. NEXT!

Admittedly not a techie, but it does seem a fairly large coincidence and as long as Turbine provide no information about what is the problem it is only to be expected that there will be speculation. And are you sure this isn't the issue - remember that each time you log on there does appear to be some downloading occurring!

Saw this earlier this morning. Still trying to find an authoritative source stating Pando is gone. Note - Wikipedia is NOT an authoritative source.
    There is no free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Laoshifeng View Post
    Admittedly not a techie, but it does seem a fairly large coincidence and as long as Turbine provide no information about what is the problem it is only to be expected that there will be speculation. And are you sure this isn't the issue - remember that each time you log on there does appear to be some downloading occurring!

From their twitter account: "Unrelated. Pando is not an ISP and does not handle internet routing. Only downloading for new players."

-JJ

*Edit* Also since it will update and run even after removing all remnants of Pando from your system after the initial install (including all Pando dll files), it is virtually impossibly for it to be related to Pando.

Last edited by jjflanigan; 09-02-2013 at 11:26 AM.

If it really is a Pando issue (which I'm not totally sold on believing), it would be the most blackly humorous thing to happen around here since they let their IP expire.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnhelm View Post
    Note - Wikipedia is NOT an authoritative source.
    Needs citation
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian, Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    Pando shut down Saturday, so if it was Pando then nobody would have been able to log in anytime on Sunday. And I was playing until 3pm my time. NEXT!
    They worte Saturday, but we don't know when they realy did shut down. As we don't habe any information aside from "we are working with our vendors" it's the next best thing to suspect the problems maybe pando related. Perhaps the pando shutdown isn't the actual problem, but what Turbine did after/because of that...
    Please DOOOOOM!!!!!11111!!!!! early and often.

2016 DDO Players Council eris2323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    If it really is a Pando issue (which I'm not totally sold on believing), it would be the most blackly humorous thing to happen around here since they let their IP expire.
    Not sure what's going on either - I'd like to point out that probably the reason people are so willing to believe it, is precisely BECAUSE of idiotic things like "we forgot to renew our domain name"

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    If it really is a Pando issue (which I'm not totally sold on believing), it would be the most blackly humorous thing to happen around here....

...since they let their IP expire.
    So its not some strange coincidence that service began deteriorating on the 31st and by the 1st of Sept, no one could log in anymore?

Which bill did they forget to pay this time?
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by jjflanigan View Post
    From their twitter account: "Unrelated. Pando is not an ISP and does not handle internet routing. Only downloading for new players."

-JJ

*Edit* Also since it will update and run even after removing all remnants of Pando from your system after the initial install (including all Pando dll files), it is virtually impossibly for it to be related to Pando.

Like I said -not a techie! But it would be nice if there was some communication about what the problem actually is to stop this kind of speculation.

Final Fantasy XIV stole the internet!
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Like I said -not a techie! But it would be nice if there was some communication about what the problem actually is to stop this kind of speculation.
    *nod* I totally understand. I was just replying to your post since you had phrased it sort of like a question

I mainly wanted to post that because some people are going all torches and pitchforks saying that the Pando shutdown is the reason for this outage, but it makes 0 logical sense that the two could be related in any way once you understand what Pando actually did for the game and what the issue right now is.

-JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Oh look, a second thread in a matter of seconds. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH PANDO! NOTHING! Pando is a download program, it has NOTHING to do with being able to log into the game.
    Pando has also network and storage cloud and this cloud can be used to download updates by the launcher.

It won't be easy task to update launcher without the update site. I am expecting that Turbine will entreat us to download and install ddo from the new download site.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    Not sure what's going on either - I'd like to point out that probably the reason people are so willing to believe it, is precisely BECAUSE of idiotic things like "we forgot to renew our domain name"
    THIS.

Fine it's not Pando, but sad thing is due to past mistakes/ideas/shadowfails- it's easily believable.

Community Member

i dont buy it, we've been uninstalling pando for years and now there is even a steam route. the only impact i'd expect this to have is new people trying to download the game finding turbine had forgotten to update the download links on their website.

nope, it's teh internetz, some hamster in the Great Machine has carked it and now some random company turbine relies on for internet connection is rolling UMD checks on a raise dead scroll.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

https://twitter.com/lotro

Communication enough? They have been trouble hitting their own forums locally for a while. So they went to the next best thing they had.

Problem is, for DDO we always are forgotten compared to the true cash cow that is LOTRO for them. I can only imagine how slighted the AC folks are, let alone what the new product Turbine is trying to publish is getting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast