Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Community Member Arcanghakhyorsarthel's Avatar

An old man sits quietly at his desk. Notes are strewn about the work space, almost in clutter, but not quite. A half cup of tea cools near his elbow, the spoon resting on the saucer glistens slightly by the light of the nearby fireplace. Absently, the man takes a small sip while continuing his notes, glancing at the computer monitor every few minutes.

A small rap on the door, followed by a young woman clearing her throat ever so softly, almost apologetically.

"Professor?" the young woman almost whispers.

The old man continues writing for a few more moments, sets down the stylus and turns towards the young woman.

He glances briefly at the monitor before addressing her, a slight smile played on his weathered face.

The old man closes his eyes as he faces her, the slight smile still on his lips, raises his index finger, and says: "You are concerned. I see that. Do not worry though, young lady. Do not worry at all. It is for science!"

"But professor....it's been over 12 hours! The people...they're restless...angry! I just don't understa..."

"Now, now...we discussed this prior to the start of the experiment."

The professor turns back to the monitor and picks up the stylus and continues writing.

"Notice, my student....just please notice. What we have here is a community of people with a common cause. Within that community are leaders, loners, groupies (as some may say), and malcontents. I've longed to observe such a catastrophe while in progress without bloodshed. Think of it! Some threaten to quit which is akin to suicide. Others wait patiently while yet others search for answers. The crux of the matter is not even known to be sure! Yet they still LOOK! And why!"

His hand slams hard on the table.

"WHY do they look? Why do they need to feel that they can be the one to find the answer? Why do the ones that say they will quit and essentially 'die' within this imaginary realm continue to use this device?"

The intern is silenced, but knowing how her beloved professor works, she knows that she is expected to answer.

In a softer tone, the professor continues, "In all my years of research of the human mind, of social strata, human-hierarchy, I've yet to discover and completely understand how imaginary worlds created by a group can survive within and without multiple cultures, short of the one true cause....power.

"Each one, regardless, strives to become powerful within their own right. To be the best of the best, get the best of the best, and be known as the best of the best...whether or not it's completely understood. During times like this wherein the 'world' of imagination is not available, I write. I note the tension....I note the anger. You can't get this from a running war, you cannot get this from political strife. This is part of the human condition. Power."

"I have to agree with you. No one really sets out to be second best. If something doesn't work within, it's changed or deleted. The bar brawls are the most noted that I've found where people test their own physical skills against each other that would not happen within an actual quest. The actual quests lack randomness of survival unlike those of PvP which are in direct relation to man versus man."

"Then why is PvP not concentrated on more?"

"Because that would be counter-productive to revenue, and is only considered a side to relieve the tension of the human-instinct."

Nodding slowly, the old professor turns back to his notes, absently sipping at his tea.

"So..." the intern began.

"It will last as long as it takes, my dear....as long as it takes."

I got bored....sorry
    --Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Blayz View Post
    The keyword is they are continuing to investigate, which tells me they still don't know the issue and are no closer to making a repair. We are still in a diagnosis phase, which means I should have plenty of time to burn the BBQ before game servers are restored.

Oh and as a side note... Never ever and I mean never BBQ with gasoline. I almost lost two eyebrows.
    First no mention of any other facial hair in your side note. Second, when they say they are continuing to investigate; that does not necessarily mean they don't know what the issue is; if "as yet unconfirmed by DDO but a likely culprit due to the timing and dependency" this is an issue with pando going away and their business contract being moved to the new provider which has a proprietary interface Turbine has to make a few decisions--again this is making assumptions that Turbine was moving to the new provider.

1. Do they make a manual modification that keeps the game from going to pando and checking for patches to get users back into game.

2. Do they incorporate the new software--again assuming that pando is the culprit-and force another manual patch or potentially complete re-install of the game to fix the issue.

3. Within the code; and the way the code is encapsulated for use with the pando software there are additional hooks that would make option one a "non-starter".

4. Now pando may have shutdown effective the 31st of August and DNS has dropped the record; but if pando servers are still turned on and Turbine can get the IP addresses this could be approached in the same manner--at least temporarily--as adding the IP addresses into local host files on our clients would allow for our local computer to resolve the address and get past the issue. This will only work until pando actually drops power to those servers and again would only be a short term fix...and this has a lot of assumptions.

5. Turbine could obtain a copy of the pandora server software and standup there own server until they can officially mitigate/migrate to a new product. This of course could take time and money for a band-aid.

I'm not out to defend Turbine (I don't have an inside track into their workings to know specifics), I cannot even confirm that Pandora is the issue...just a likely culprit.

What I'm trying to do is give insight into what goes on behind the scenes when a 'crisis' like this occurs to those who have not worked in this environment (yes I've been there and been in on weekends doing crisis management for other IT related programs). Identifing the issue is only a small part of the equation; availability of the developers--especially on a holiday weekend when some might actually be out of town--can put decisions into hold until they arrive, mitigate, work-around, pay the piper, or keep it down til the final solution can be put in place...it is a question of calls that have to be made by management given the circumstances of what they have available and how extensive the problem is integrated into the code.

Until then Cordoava and the others cannot tell you an ETA, the way forward they are taking or what might need to be done manually on our clients to bypass the problem. So please cut Cordova some slack...he's waiting on direction before he can answer us with any measure of detail.
    Leader Apocalyptic Knights Khyber
    Alts Dustia, Fierry, Divus, Serpins, Cognatio, Atrau, Leigharoy, Pinkish, Triturate (Ret.) Harragan, Cynderr, Ginnsu, Cyndder, Calagian, Gorthagus, Bluntaxe, Zarloc, Docbot

Community Member

Angry Crash and burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Woot! Spoke too soon, was able to get to the launcher. Progress?
    Is anybody else having issues with game crashes and lock ups? I am still running XP on a good system. Was wondering if I should purchase windows 7? I never had this problem til the last update.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Then logically, you would not be able to use DDO after you uninstalled Pando once the initial install was done.

So how is that Pando is at fault standing up now?

It may not be related to individual users, but Turbine themselves. I just don't believe in Coincidence.
    Has Turbine dispelled the Pando Theory? you maybe right that it has nothing to do with it.

I've only heard of it being dispelled on Twitter...

Community Member
    Behind you... peeking out at you from your closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanghakhyorsarthel View Post
    An old man sits quietly at his desk. Notes are strewn about the work space, almost in clutter, but not quite. A half cup of tea cools near his elbow, the spoon resting on the saucer glistens slightly by the light of the nearby fireplace. Absently, the man takes a small sip while continuing his notes, glancing at the computer monitor every few minutes.

A small rap on the door, followed by a young woman clearing her throat ever so softly, almost apologetically.

The old man continues writing for a few more moments, sets down the stylus and turns towards the young woman.

He glances briefly at the monitor before addressing her, a slight smile played on his weathered face.

The old man closes his eyes as he faces her, the slight smile still on his lips, raises his index finger, and says: "You are concerned. I see that. Do not worry though, young lady. Do not worry at all. It is for science!"

"But professor....it's been over 12 hours! The people...they're restless...angry! I just don't understa..."

The professor turns back to the monitor and picks up the stylus and continues writing.

"Notice, my student....just please notice. What we have here is a community of people with a common cause. Within that community are leaders, loners, groupies (as some may say), and malcontents. I've longed to observe such a catastrophe while in progress without bloodshed. Think of it! Some threaten to quit which is akin to suicide. Others wait patiently while yet others search for answers. The crux of the matter is not even known to be sure! Yet they still LOOK! And why!"

"WHY do they look? Why do they need to feel that they can be the one to find the answer? Why do the ones that say they will quit and essentially 'die' within this imaginary realm continue to use this device?"

The intern is silenced, but knowing how her beloved professor works, she knows that she is expected to answer.

In a softer tone, the professor continues, "In all my years of research of the human mind, of social strata, human-hierarchy, I've yet to discover and completely understand how imaginary worlds created by a group can survive within and without multiple cultures, short of the one true cause....power.

"Each one, regardless, strives to become powerful within their own right. To be the best of the best, get the best of the best, and be known as the best of the best...whether or not it's completely understood. During times like this wherein the 'world' of imagination is not available, I write. I note the tension....I note the anger. You can't get this from a running war, you cannot get this from political strife. This is part of the human condition. Power."

"I have to agree with you. No one really sets out to be second best. If something doesn't work within, it's changed or deleted. The bar brawls are the most noted that I've found where people test their own physical skills against each other that would not happen within an actual quest. The actual quests lack randomness of survival unlike those of PvP which are in direct relation to man versus man."

"Because that would be counter-productive to revenue, and is only considered a side to relieve the tension of the human-instinct."

Nodding slowly, the old professor turns back to his notes, absently sipping at his tea.

I got bored....sorry
    The professor sets his pen down and looks the intern up and down. He slowly unzips his...

Ok now someone else turn!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    It's not just PANDO users. I refused to have anything to do with PANDO, and uses STEAM to get my DDO game downloads. There is no PANDO on my PC at all-- I literally blocked their domain.

But I cannot log in either, in Oklahoma. Not since early AM yesterday.
    Hey Bob thanks for the post. So how would I go about removing Pando and using Steam for updates? Could you please walk me through this process? I was not aware we could use Steam for updates as opposed to Pando. Since they are out of business there is no point in having their software on my computer.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Community Member

Post Holding my breath...turning blue!

Wow...it took this mess to drag me onto the forums. As a long time loyal DDO player, bugs aside, I have to say that this game has offered my friends and I the best and most enjoyable version of the ol PnP game. There really isn't a game out there that brings the original to life the way DDO does. It's this reason that I'm waiting to see what Turbine has to say and how they say it.

Being that I've paid into this game for so long, I do have expectations of service. Regardless of the games content, if Turbine does not manage this game correctly...I'm not sure I want to INVEST in a game that is being run into the rocks. This down time has caused me, for the first time, to actually look at other potential games out there.

Turbine the spot light is on...lets hope your answers are good ones. Thanks Devs for taking the heat, hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanghakhyorsarthel View Post

I got bored....sorry
    that's pretty good I like it.

Community Member

Thumbs down what

Love DDO hate Turbine.

Community Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    It's not just PANDO users. I refused to have anything to do with PANDO, and uses STEAM to get my DDO game downloads. There is no PANDO on my PC at all-- I literally blocked their domain.

But I cannot log in either, in Oklahoma. Not since early AM yesterday.
    Apparently PANDO has more to do with this than you think or you might be in the game by now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderone View Post
    It may not be related to individual users, but Turbine themselves. I just don't believe in Coincidence.
    Has Turbine dispelled the Pando Theory? you maybe right that it has nothing to do with it.

I've only heard of it being dispelled on Twitter...
    Just there, but they were very definite about it not being related to Pando, and implied it was the ISP at fault. Quote from LOTRO twitter:

elated. Pando is not an ISP and does not handle internet routing. Only downloading for new players.

I'm in need of some education, folks... I'd appreciate some assistance.

I'm trying to figure out this whole Pando thing. I was under the impression that Pando was little more than a p2p client that facilitated the download of the game, which is why I was able to uninstall it once the game was downloaded and installed.

There's a massive amount of speculation concerning the "possible" connection between Pando's shutdown day before yesterday and the issues with DDO today. Could someone (preferably someone who actually understands this stuff) please tell me how this would work?

Default you should be bored more often!

I just logged into the forum for the very first time ever just to say - if that is what happens when you are bored, you should never be allowed to play, Arcanghakhyorsarthel
    awesome

Quote Originally Posted by SchrödingersKat View Post
    The professor sets his pen down and looks the intern up and down. He slowly unzips his...

Ok now someone else turn!
    ...face. The body suit drops to the floor, and in it's place a tiny doomsphere begins to grow, chuckling all the while. As it grows, it says, "...
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Well... I'm not sure if this is related to Pando or not, but if it is, some heads need to roll not only at Turbine but also at WB Games.

ASSUMING Pando is the reason for this, this is the perfect opportunity to start with a clean slate. It's also telling that lotro has a lot of similar bugs to what DDO has. When I last played lotro it was crippled with lag (sound familiar?) on top of other issues such as lack of quest completion credit (again, sound familiar?) and other similarities.

I'm thinking most of the bugs we experience in both games are related to the infrastructure, and I'm hoping it's Pando-related so that we can get better infrastructure. Honestly though, relying on a p2p solution is just a money saver, and does not benefit most people since most people get slower speeds on p2p than on direct download. All it does in the end is reduce the bandwidth consumption of Turbine.

Community Member

Hate to be the party ****er but 8 hours ago I got past pre regs screen and had the failed to read message only to go back to the pre regs part. Don't jump up and down yet.

Community Member

Well, this is my concern: Turbine had been advertising the hell out of the Shadowfell expansion. People have probably seen them, and they may check out the game, either again or for the first time. And it's a good game! It's a fun game. It's not as pretty as some of the others out there, but there's a lot to enjoy.

And then this happens. On a holiday weekend in the States. This isn't just bad timing, this is the WORST timing. If a new or returning player can't play the game, they may write it off and take their time and money elsewhere.

And if it's true that this is due to lack of preparation for Pando's shutdown?

To say that they dropped the ball is an understatement. This is more akin to dropping the ball, the accidentally kicking the ball into your neighbor's yard, and hitting your neighbor's rottweiler in the nose the one time it isn't on a leash.

It's a bad situation.

Community Member

Default holy cow

Quote Originally Posted by ppsm09 View Post
    OH MY GAWD I HAVE KIDS!!!!

When the heck did THAT happen?!?
    now that's funny I don't care who you are THATS FUNNY

Community Member

Default Now what...

Ok so the launcher is opening now... but it says: Failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col: 1]
    Is that a turbine problem or a me problem?

I have been playing this game for YEARS, about 6 1/2 to be more precise. I have been VIP for 2 years, then dropped it to premium ad have since bought the entire game except for three barrel cove and the latest two packs that came out. I have put TONS of money into this game. Granted I put more money into this game when I was VIP. However, like my uncle says "**** happens, get over it." (that's the PG version of it anyways lol)

In either case, I do expect a better quality from Turbine than what we have been getting.(Tons of bugs, crashes, and downtimes.)Do I expect compensation for all of it? Yes and no. It would be great for some kind of compensation, but I don't expect to receive any.

Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast