Community Member

Default Newbie enhancements and Astarl shards questions?

Hey all,

I am new to the game just subbed for the 3 month VIP deal.

I asked in the other thread I have but none answered yet.

Can someone explain to me what the astral shard system is?
    I know we can buy them from the DDO store but can we earn them in game too?

For the Astral shards I see there is a auctionhouse for the shards.

What is the difference between the Astral shard auctionhouse and regular autionhouse?
    I understand 1 takes shards and other takes in game money.

But do some in game items can they only be sold in the astral auctionhouse instead of the other?
    Or can you sell all items either on the normal auctionhouse or the shard auctionhouse etc.

I am trying to find out beyond the differnces of the 2 autionhouses I want to know if only like the rare items are sold for Astral shards on the auctionhouse instead?

As far as I kenhancemen t now nothing are they kinda of like Socxketed items from other MMO's or Adornments from EQ2 etc?
    Also with enchancements is that many for end game and high level characters?
    Are players expected to get enhancement s at lower level?

Community Member

Default simple

vips and perferred get acess to shard auctions most items that are not bta or btc bound to account or bound to charachter can be sold in either shards let u get things like rolls in the daily dice rolls repairing equip in dungeons (not recommended) buying augments. shards are a special currency and players value them because of the extra options augments are nice and helpfull though the augment has a higher lvl req than the ability would as a stand alone... rarer items are sold in the shard market sometimes but not always sometimes you can gerrt decent stuff for 3 shards that might cost 5000 pp or tomes and such its just a more versitile form of currency... as far as the diff coin charges 5% to post item and takes 30% of the sale price shard charges 1 to post and 30% from the sale price. people have the ability to trade or gift coin but not shards and your shards are accessible by all charachters on a server coin is only shared in the shared account and has a cap... but u can get great items in either for more than they are technically worth but a liscence for a psudodragon is only worth "1000"pp but its not unheard of for one to sell for 1000000 pp or 500 shards its up to you just remember one is like a penny on the sidewalk you dont really have trouble finding it the others like a 20 in the parking lot few and far between but usefull when u do.... hope this helped

Quote Originally Posted by Glithanes View Post
    Can someone explain to me what the astral shard system is?
    Astral shards are alternative currency. They are closer to 'real money' than platinum. You can use astral shards to buy somethings (certain hirelings, maybe certain guild augment shrines, guild ships, etc) that you can't buy with platinum.

What is the difference between the Astral shard auctionhouse and regular autionhouse?
    I understand 1 takes shards and other takes in game money.

But do some in game items can they only be sold in the astral auctionhouse instead of the other?
    Or can you sell all items either on the normal auctionhouse or the shard auctionhouse etc.
    The notable difference in the AS auction house is that you can sell items that are 'bound to character on equip' that are already bound. For example, Whirlwind is a BtCoE item. If it's never been equipped, then you can sell it via either the platinum AH or the AS AH. But once it's been equipped, it can only be sold via the AS AH.

Note: Bug/UI problem, bound items sold in the AS AH will bind to the character that buys them. The AS AH doesn't indicate whether an item you are buying will automatically bind or not, so it's best to buy stuff from the AS AH with the character that you intend to use the item.

I am trying to find out beyond the differnces of the 2 autionhouses I want to know if only like the rare items are sold for Astral shards on the auctionhouse instead?
    Most of the veterans who are most likely to kill teh ubar monsters and get teh ubar gear to drop (and not need it) will have more plat than they can carry, so they are usually not interested in selling things for plat. That's one of the reasons that some of the 'best' gear is generally only available in the AS AH.

On the other hand, some people use the AS AH as a handy item storage space. You can access it anywhere, put the item you want to store up for a silly buyout price and get it out of your inventory for a while. So, for example, if you see something with a very high AS buyout price, it's probably just someone storing their item in the AH for a few days.

As far as I kenhancemen t now nothing are they kinda of like Socxketed items from other MMO's or Adornments from EQ2 etc?
    Also with enchancements is that many for end game and high level characters?
    Are players expected to get enhancement s at lower level?
    There are colored augments available in some items, though they can be more trouble or resources to acquire than they are worth.

'enhancements' are powers / abilities that all characters get. You get 4 enhancement points every level. You can looks at what enhancements you have available by pressing 'ctrl r'. Note that some enhancements have certain requirements, but that's beyond the scope of a simple answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Glithanes View Post
    Usually I don't care about the Monster Manual, but recently I found out that certain achievements also reward you with Astral Shards. Not much AS though, but better to have them than not I guess. If there's a yellow ! next to the monster type in the list, there should be interactive achievement buttons in the related menue. You have to click on the achievement button to get the reward.

Edit: you can be rewarded with AS too, when you do the Daily/Weekly Dice and roll Currency (either platinum or AS).
    Last edited by Lanhelin; 09-04-2013 at 07:13 AM.