Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    It's a 'crutch' that saves casters SP from buffing entire party and time from wasting their time doing it. Extended buffs or even pausing when in public won't change anything for anyone.

BTW - ship buffs can only be OP if they add a substantial bottom line to a player (like greater resists in low level content) but it's not in any way shape and form in upper end content.
    People grind like crazy on the same toon to get one past life in every class to get completionist - a feat that adds ~the same level of power as ship buffs. While not game breaking, if people are willing to grind that hard for it, theres something to be said about how powerful it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    People grind like crazy on the same toon to get one past life in every class to get completionist - a feat that adds ~the same level of power as ship buffs. While not game breaking, if people are willing to grind that hard for it, theres something to be said about how powerful it is.
    Absolute nonsense. Completionist is worthless for 99% of the people pursuing it.

it doesn't show how powerful it is, it shows how stupid most people are.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Standal View Post
    The current length of ship buffs is unacceptable. A group's play should not be interrupted every 45 minutes because someone's buffs are about to wear off. Please extend the buff timer to 6 hours or until death. This will allow people to buff and play without guild buffs being an irritant.
    Signed. The main irritant to me is that there is no easy way to refresh these buffs in the new areas--for those without access to a teleport spell/scroll and an eveningstar key, you're looking at close to 10 minutes of travel and rebuffing time every 60 minutes. For large explorer areas, it's just a PITA to have to recall. To those complaining that 'buffs are for the weak', I don't think wanting the xp buff, or +1 to your DCs, that you spent hard-earned plat (or TP) on makes you weak.

The main point of the guild system and guild ships is the buffs; people sacrifice plat and gear to take guild favor so they can get better buffs. We spend resources--sometimes real-world resources--to maintain these buffs. They should be updated to keep them, and by extension the entire guild system, relevant (ditto for Cannith crafting!).

Personally I think it's the perception of power. I doubt it makes it that much easier for them to complete Elite or EE content once they have it.

I'd say that ship buffs are 'OP' in low level since it negates pretty much everything other then physical damage and once you hit about level 8ish it slowly becomes less OP.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    For everyone else: there's more truth behind that than sarcasm.
    For you Ara: You just brought a dump truck full of salt. :/ It is on like you've never seen before when you come back!
    Hahahaha I look forward to it!
    Do your worst!

And FYI, that Salt was expensive and you'll be recieving an invoice for it soon through in game mail.
    Payment can be made in full to Araphina Skycrow, Via in game trade or mail in the form of 20FRDS, a Seal of House Avithoul(Wis +7), or 4.5 million plat.
    The choice is yours of course.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Payment can be made in full to Araphina Skycrow, Via in game trade or mail in the form of 20FRDS
    Already made the down payment of 19..don't forget! Obviously I haven't!

Meh. Go through the effort to increase your dc's of tactical feats, umd, and hp why not go the extra distance to get just a bit more in each one? It's +2 to all stats and skills, so that's a good +3 umd on top of the 3 arti you probably grinded out in the process of getting there. Also another +1 dc on top of the +3 from Fighter. It may be useless to some, but I can understand the appeal IF your build would actually benefit.

However, that last line only proves what others have said. Casters can benefit because hey +1 dc. Melee can benefit because hey +1 tactic/attack/damage. But in the end, seriously you just went through all that for +1?

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

/signed for ship buffs continuing until death.

"Quality of Life" improvements are good.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

I generally like the idea of longer buffs but it reminds me of a game my sister used to play called FlyFF and every so often she would walk over to some penguin and would instantly give out 10 buffs that last a very long time and i would think to myself why would the developers even make that, why not just have weaker monsters if everyone is going to have those buffs anyway?

I guess its not so bad in DDO because we earn the right to have the buffs through gathering renown but it does make me think that the whole guild ship idea could by summarized to a portal to anywhere that gives out buffs every time you go through.
    Elemo IronCast - Patorikku Yama - Happyfruit Wardancer - Toysoldier - Wookiee ~Ghallanda~

I'm not against adding longer buffs. Until death? I dunno but that's irrelevant. Time is a fairly arbitrary feature and it should be about making sure the customer have fun.

Personally I wish they made the resists stacking instead - like 5, 10, 15. That would make them less useful in higher content unless the player also use other resists and more useful only in very early levels. It would make people self buff themselves anyways and add benefit to the ones who does self buff - in other words people who don't buff or augment their toons get less benefits at high level while people that do gets a benefit. That way the extended buff time isn't as relevant as the overall mechanic of how the buffs work.

And that would also work fine with the unlocked rewards, since you can get 20 in resists from them. By adding longer buffs it would inspire people to unlock those buffs and use them in conjuncture with the stacking ship buffs. People that use gear and self buff gets a better benefit and people who only use ship and favor unlocks get a slightly less.

Again - that way the actual longer buffs has a lot less impact and the benefit of ship, plus self buff or favor buffs is the primary focus. Less people running and buffing all the time, more time running quests.

Ship buffs are an interesting aspect that was added as a benefit of being in a guild.

On one hand they add a moderate/low boost to a character. In some cases/builds allowing them to qualify for something that they normally could not due to an early sacrifice - ie starting with a lower caster spell level stat. They can also make it so that lower level dungeons with lots of low amount elemental damage become trivial - where a 10 Resist would make the damage low, a 30 resist makes it non-existent.

For me ship buffs are a Luxury not a necessity. I do utilize them, but I will not break just to refresh them. Personally I looked at the timers as a built in timer to take a break. While a leveling partner and I can currently fit 3 quests in between buff (Quest levels 4 to 5) at Epic levels for some of the longer content you might get 1 maybe 2 quests in before buffs run out. In my opinion that means they have served their purpose.

I could get behind boosting the House P and House J timers on Favor Buffs. At one time 30 minutes even for 20 resist went a long way in reducing damage, but to get that you needed to earn the favor so it wasn't available at a level that would make quests trivial because of it.

I think they last long enough and don't see a reason to make them pause as some of these buffs are useful even in public areas.

If a person feels buffs are mandatory to succeed it will be hard to convince them otherwise. Something I've done personally is to take a first life character from 1 to 20 - no twink and without buffs. It can be done and my performance against others did not show me as a gimp.

Community Member

How about:

Ship Buffs via Astral Shards!
    while on a Guildship cost is: 3AS*
    while in City or Explorer: 6AS*
    while in Quest: 12AS*

*Buffs stay till death, you aquire all buffs your current Guildship has active this way.

Old way to get buffs with 1hr timer stays ingame unchanged.

now some might complain why it has to cost AS or anything at all
    but someone has to pay for the Dev time and this way we make a good compromise
    between we want it (naow) and the need of turbine to make money with it.
    Also it follows the already in place way of repairing with AS.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    How about:

Ship Buffs via Astral Shards!
    while on a Guildship cost is: 3AS*
    while in City or Explorer: 6AS*
    while in Quest: 12AS*

*Buffs stay till death, you aquire all buffs your current Guildship has active this way.

Old way to get buffs with 1hr timer stays ingame unchanged.

now some might complain why it has to cost AS or anything at all
    but someone has to pay for the Dev time and this way we make a good compromise
    between we want it (naow) and the need of turbine to make money with it.
    Also it follows the already in place way of repairing with AS.
    Meh, I'd just keep getting the 1 hour free ship buffs then.

Not worth spending 'shards' on.

Already enough nickle-and-diming going on with those shards.

Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    Meh, I'd just keep getting the 1 hour free ship buffs then.

Not worth spending 'shards' on.

Already enough nickle-and-diming going on with those shards.
    I have a better counter argument but it'll cost you a shard...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234