Default The Drainer, 12 ranger / 5 rogue / 3 anything

A while back I began enjoying being able to distribute neg levels, so I've set out to create a build that could neg mobs as quickly as possible.
    I'm now about to TR out of it, but it's worked so well and was so much fun, that I've decided to share it with the community. hope you enjoy it as much as I have

12 ranger for 100% off-hand strikes, 5 rogue for dagger mastery (30% crit with daggers)

using sacrificial daggers (the strength draining kind) in shadow form (drains strength on crits) from the shadow dancer ED.

Heroic feats (I went with halfling for better self healing):

lesser DM
    dodge
    mobility
    ICierce
    spring attack
    CE
    Whirlwind

stats are max dex, 16 const, and enough int to get you CE @ lvl 15. you could raise the int higher and trap without a problem, or pick up w/e other skills suit your style of play.

those are the basics of it, end result is 25% incorporeal from shadow form, 25% dodge, and around 50% miss chance from AC, without needing uber gear.
    level + strength draining means you won't be hit much, would kill fairly quick, and make EEs so much easier for everyone involved.
    enjoy

Looks like a really fun build! I may have to try something similar ... I wonder how well a woo-woo stick works w/ the new acrobat / henshin these days too (and souleater).
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lauf View Post
    ICierce
    Nice unintended smiley
    Next time maybe put a space in there for IC: Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Lauf View Post
    A while back I began enjoying being able to distribute neg levels, so I've set out to create a build that could neg mobs as quickly as possible.
    I'm now about to TR out of it, but it's worked so well and was so much fun, that I've decided to share it with the community. hope you enjoy it as much as I have

12 ranger for 100% off-hand strikes, 5 rogue for dagger mastery (30% crit with daggers)

using sacrificial daggers (the strength draining kind) in shadow form (drains strength on crits) from the shadow dancer ED.

Heroic feats (I went with halfling for better self healing):

lesser DM
    dodge
    mobility
    ICierce
    spring attack
    CE
    Whirlwind

stats are max dex, 16 const, and enough int to get you CE @ lvl 15. you could raise the int higher and trap without a problem, or pick up w/e other skills suit your style of play.

those are the basics of it, end result is 25% incorporeal from shadow form, 25% dodge, and around 50% miss chance from AC, without needing uber gear.
    level + strength draining means you won't be hit much, would kill fairly quick, and make EEs so much easier for everyone involved.
    enjoy
    Best option for the 3 anything is paladin, imho.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Whirlwind is (still) ****; Power Atk / Cleave / GC would be more useful, IMHO. Plus it would be nice to pick up at least Emp Heal. For the last 3 lvls, I'd lean towards rog 8 (Imp Uncanny Dodge, +1D6 SA, more skill pts), rgr 15 (2 lvl 4 spells slots + 4th FE), pal 3 (Divine Grace, Sacrifice, Smite), or monk or ftr 3 for extra feats.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Whirlwind is (still) ****; Power Atk / Cleave / GC would be more useful, IMHO.
    the build has no shortage of dps, in that it's mostly about neg levels. so doing 5 more damage per hit becomes meaningless in your next crit as the neg levels "heal" the mob. so PA is easily done without.

the big issue is survivability, and in that having dodge/mobility/spring attack goes a long way. CE cannot be discounted either, especially when you take into account being able to cast barkskin, having shield bonus from tempest etc. you can reach a very respectable AC.
    I wouldn't swap those out for cleave or great cleave.... you'd lose much more than you stand to gain.

and if you already squeezed all of those feats into a build, might as well grab whirlwind for your troubles... though it was definitely not what I was aiming for when I decided to take them.

Quote Originally Posted by tboner View Post
    Nice unintended smiley
    Next time maybe put a space in there for IC: Pierce
    Indeed
    I like how it turned out though, so I think I'll let him stay

Exactly what do you do against bosses? I see it sorely lacking red/purple named DPS. I would much rather go with a kensai variant speced in light blades. There's an upgrade path that way if you grind out for nightmares requiring a feat for Prof and an enhancement reset. Kensai also opens the way for monk splash and the upgraded forms. and keep ranger for the free ranged and TWF feats. Str based so you get the most out of manyshot and bow str.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Quote Originally Posted by kuro_zero View Post
    Exactly what do you do against bosses? I see it sorely lacking red/purple named DPS. I would much rather go with a kensai variant speced in light blades. There's an upgrade path that way if you grind out for nightmares requiring a feat for Prof and an enhancement reset. Kensai also opens the way for monk splash and the upgraded forms. and keep ranger for the free ranged and TWF feats. Str based so you get the most out of manyshot and bow str.
    Go Elf, and get dex to damage with bows from the elf enhancements. That is still there, right? Then the last 3 levels could either be 3 fighter for extra feats and some more action boosts, or just continue up to 8 rogue for Improved Uncanny Dodge like someone else said.

That being said, my friend is doing a kind of similar build but with a totallly different purpose. 11 Ranger 8 Rogue 1 Fighter, AA Str build in fury. I convinced her of the 8 rogue because I spam that little button more often than I use displace scrolls (and I go through 100 of those every couple days). Also because sneak attack is sexy.

Exactly what do you do against bosses? I see it sorely lacking red/purple named DPS
    against bosses I used a pair of epic phiarlan spy daggers for their improved deception:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Phiarlan_Spy_Dagger

but if you're a fan of farming raid weapons you could go for either of these 2:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Agony,_...fe_in_the_Dark
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Rebellion

those, coupled with an improved deception item such as golden guile or a seal of house avithoul (luckily I had the seal) keep the bosses pretty much constantly spinning in place, making them an easy kill for any party.

I've never had any problems with this build of a group being in over it's head in an EE; it has lived up to my expectations of being a fun, durable and effective build, making any quest easier with it in the group.

I would much rather go with a kensai variant speced in light blades. There's an upgrade path that way if you grind out for nightmares requiring a feat for Prof and an enhancement reset. Kensai also opens the way for monk splash and the upgraded forms. and keep ranger for the free ranged and TWF feats. Str based so you get the most out of manyshot and bow str.
    If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting going with a fighter/ranger/monk mix, and farming a couple of nightmares... could easily be done (build wise) and would do much more "pure" damage at the end. you'd of course miss out on trapping ability, but that's not a deal breaker for most people.

I went the way of the dagger simply because farming raids isn't my cup of tea. I prefer questing to raids, and in that respect the dagger build requires very little gear grinding for the amount of goodness it provides, which is also why I shared it on the forums...
    I imagine the vast majority of the player base would not be interested in grinding 2 raid weapons either, but I do believe you are correct in saying that a strength build fighter/ranger/monk would do more damage with a pair of nightmares.