Default So excited for my Master Artificer build!

Hey guys I’m so excited! I’m finally on my last life b4 starting my Master Artificer build. Just thought I would share it with you all and see what you think.

Pastlives: 3 Ranger, 3 Monk, 3 Sorc, 1 Wizard. This results in +9 damage per bolt and +4 evocation DC (BB, TD, Runearm) when the wizard past life active feat is taken.

Race: Drow, I chose drow for the higher starting int and dex, and int enhancements. Also if I can fit it in somehow without giving up too much, the poison stance will be nice too.

Starting Stats:
    Str 12 (4 points for carrying cap and protection from weakening spells)
    Dex 16 (minimum dex required for the 21 base dex for combat archery epic feat with his +5 tome.)
    Con 12 (would like more, but I thought that 4 str outweighed the benefits of 30 HP at cap.)
    Int 20 (Maxing this stat for spell DC and insightful damage all level ups will go here.)
    Wis 8 (No real use for this stat outside of will save and spot, don’t know if it will work at higher levels, but the Drow SR should make up for some of this weakness.)
    Cha 10 (would always love more of this stat for usefull skills like UMD, at high level I might redistribute the 4 xtra str with a LR to this stat.)

Feats: (….) signifies class feat choice.
    LEVEL
    1 Point Blank Shot (Rapid Reload)
    3 Construct Essence: Mostly for attached weapons at higher lvl, but the repairs will work nice as well.
    4 (Rapid shot)
    6 Insightful Reflexes: Thought about toughness here, but I think I will get more mileage out of an enormous reflex save.
    8 (precise shot)
    9 Wizard past-life feat for +1 spell DC’s
    12 Spell focus evocation, (Maximize)
    15 Improved critical Ranged
    16 (Empower)
    18 Greater spell focus evocation
    20 (Improved precise shot)

Well that’s the build, I plan on going all the way to the capstone on Battle Engineer, and enough into Drow for poison stance. Obviously if there is any points left over it will go to the caster tree.

Please let me know if I’m missing anything or if I should choose my feats in a different order. Also because I have been doing all this reincarnating I haven’t played much epic content. Could someone who is experience with epic content let me know if this build will be viable at cap?

Community Member

I can't verify this, but I've heard that the monk past lives do not count on ranged damage. Not sure if it's true, but you may want to look into it. Also I'd say a starting con of 12 is not the best idea. I'd probably leave the STR at 8 myself, and put whats left in CON but if you feel you can pull it off, then go for it. Personally, I never start with anything less that 16 CON on any build. Not sure about EE content, cause I dont run it very often either. Good luck though! Sounds like a fun build

I can confirm that it does add to ranged damage tested it myself with a vanilla bow. Yeah I am a bit concerned with the HP so I might reinvest the str into con down the road. Thanks for the feedback!

Community Member

You might want to flip your enhancement focus from battle engineer to the caster tree and grab metas first thing. Did that with my tr arti for the SLAs. Max and empowered for under 10 spellpoints, blasting whole rooms for 200 or 500 on a crit is pretty fun at level 11. I'd be mowing my way through with a repeater much slower. If you're not sure how a caster arti would suit you give it a shot with a vet status 2 or iconic converted to arti at level 2.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucid8 View Post
    I can confirm that it does add to ranged damage tested it myself with a vanilla bow. Yeah I am a bit concerned with the HP so I might reinvest the str into con down the road. Thanks for the feedback!
    Can someone further confirm this? Not that I don't believe you.... but, it goes against all assumptions and all things I've been told. NOt to say that that is impossible, but... it would be mind blowing :P.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Can someone further confirm this? Not that I don't believe you.... but, it goes against all assumptions and all things I've been told. NOt to say that that is impossible, but... it would be mind blowing :P.

So I currently have 3 ranger and 2 monk pastlives finishing up the last monk. I equipped a light repeater, took off all my gear and am shooting a dummy that isn't giving helpless bonus because i haven't killed it yet.
    This picture just shows some shots not huge sample size but i did more and it wont fit on the screen. I did between 9 low end and 16 high end on all shots 200 in total since I have 3 ranger and 2 monk pastlives that is 8 damage and 1d8 weapon would make it between 9 and 16. So that would convince me that it is stacking. At least enough to convince me to grind 3 monk lives.

Community Member

Angry

Great... now I have to add 3 more lives to my ultimate arti...

Quote Originally Posted by smeggy1384 View Post
    You might want to flip your enhancement focus from battle engineer to the caster tree and grab metas first thing. Did that with my tr arti for the SLAs. Max and empowered for under 10 spellpoints, blasting whole rooms for 200 or 500 on a crit is pretty fun at level 11. I'd be mowing my way through with a repeater much slower. If you're not sure how a caster arti would suit you give it a shot with a vet status 2 or iconic converted to arti at level 2.
    Although I quite think you may be more than right about the power of those SLA's, I ground 3 ranger and 3 monk lives for the use of a repeater in mind. It has always been something I wanted to make was a repeater focused character. Those SLA's look good, however if I wanted to go that route I would just roll a sorc with 1 wizard and 3 sorc pastlives, which I already have. Also as far as casting goes for an arty, I have noticed that if played right you can get just as much or more spell power for your spells from the engineer line between the charge level bonus and implement bonus on the capstone.

Community Member

I currently have a level 26 artie I love.
    I would highly recommend putting more points into con. Don't worry about str or chr. I only put 8 or 9 in both sr/ chr and can use true res, implosion, etc scrolls no fail and have plenty of carrying capacity.
    You just need to plan on eating a +3/4 tome for both str/ chr and having a +7 for each slotted in a spare yellow/ clear augment slot.

Community Member

Overall looks good, solid textbook Arti. Some thoughts though:

-WF over Drow. Self healing, CON, and Attach Weapons as a race skill (see below re: T5 Arcanotech, which precludes AW from BE). Drow Venomed Blades is said to be bugged right now, anyway, so who knows how long till its WAI again. Also lets you drop Construct Essence feat in favor of Precision.

-Pure Arti should be main-focused casters, which means T5 in Arcanotech and making use of those SLAs. A repeater-focused Arti is MUUUUCH better served splashing 6 Ranger...autogrant feats that free up slots for things like Toughness, and DWS active attacks and passive bonuses. There just isnt enough in BE alone to build a Repeater Arti around, while caster Artis need the full 20 levels for spells and DCs.

I think with all your ranged-damage PLs, you're probably better suited building a Repeater-focused Arti. Sniper Shot with +9 damage, 15-20/x4 crit, tripled with a Repeater, would be a nasty thing indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Overall looks good, solid textbook Arti. Some thoughts though:

-WF over Drow. Self healing, CON, and Attach Weapons as a race skill (see below re: T5 Arcanotech, which precludes AW from BE). Drow Venomed Blades is said to be bugged right now, anyway, so who knows how long till its WAI again. Also lets you drop Construct Essence feat in favor of Precision.

-Pure Arti should be main-focused casters, which means T5 in Arcanotech and making use of those SLAs. A repeater-focused Arti is MUUUUCH better served splashing 6 Ranger...autogrant feats that free up slots for things like Toughness, and DWS active attacks and passive bonuses. There just isnt enough in BE alone to build a Repeater Arti around, while caster Artis need the full 20 levels for spells and DCs.

I think with all your ranged-damage PLs, you're probably better suited building a Repeater-focused Arti. Sniper Shot with +9 damage, 15-20/x4 crit, tripled with a Repeater, would be a nasty thing indeed.
    Sounds very interesting could you post a build or a link to one for me to look over? I may just go this way as I really want to focus on repeaters. However with the sorc pastlives I am going to miss some butt kicking BB spells as the spell power for the BE line adding implement bonus and charged rune arm bonus still adds a ton of spell power. But I would be very interested in checking it out.
    Oh BTW does heavy draw work with repeaters??
    Last edited by lucid8; 09-05-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucid8 View Post
    Hey guys I’m so excited! I’m finally on my last life b4 starting my Master Artificer build. Just thought I would share it with you all and see what you think.

Pastlives: 3 Ranger, 3 Monk, 3 Sorc, 1 Wizard. This results in +9 damage per bolt and +4 evocation DC (BB, TD, Runearm) when the wizard past life active feat is taken.

Race: Drow, I chose drow for the higher starting int and dex, and int enhancements. Also if I can fit it in somehow without giving up too much, the poison stance will be nice too.

Starting Stats:
    Str 12 (4 points for carrying cap and protection from weakening spells)
    Dex 16 (minimum dex required for the 21 base dex for combat archery epic feat with his +5 tome.)
    Con 12 (would like more, but I thought that 4 str outweighed the benefits of 30 HP at cap.)
    Int 20 (Maxing this stat for spell DC and insightful damage all level ups will go here.)
    Wis 8 (No real use for this stat outside of will save and spot, don’t know if it will work at higher levels, but the Drow SR should make up for some of this weakness.)
    Cha 10 (would always love more of this stat for usefull skills like UMD, at high level I might redistribute the 4 xtra str with a LR to this stat.)

Feats: (….) signifies class feat choice.
    LEVEL
    1 Point Blank Shot (Rapid Reload)
    3 Construct Essence: Mostly for attached weapons at higher lvl, but the repairs will work nice as well.
    4 (Rapid shot)
    6 Insightful Reflexes: Thought about toughness here, but I think I will get more mileage out of an enormous reflex save.
    8 (precise shot)
    9 Wizard past-life feat for +1 spell DC’s
    12 Spell focus evocation, (Maximize)
    15 Improved critical Ranged
    16 (Empower)
    18 Greater spell focus evocation
    20 (Improved precise shot)

Well that’s the build, I plan on going all the way to the capstone on Battle Engineer, and enough into Drow for poison stance. Obviously if there is any points left over it will go to the caster tree.

Please let me know if I’m missing anything or if I should choose my feats in a different order. Also because I have been doing all this reincarnating I haven’t played much epic content. Could someone who is experience with epic content let me know if this build will be viable at cap?
    If you want to boost your ranged damage even further, the rogue mechanic enhancements will also boost your damage for your repeaters, so splashing 3 rogue might not be a bad idea. Especially if you were considering it anyway for evasion.