Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Self-healing Advice

My main toon is a Cleric so self-healing has never been an issue. But now playing a Half-Orc Barb (L14), I find myself totally unable to play without a healbot hireling sidekick. I still have my LR gift, can anyone offer some advice so I can redo this toon into something that can self-heal?

Community Member

Non-bluebar classes will probably require a Cleric/FVS hireling to solo, yes...that's not a bad thing, and probably the easiest solution, although it makes you beholden to their shoddy AI.

There are some other options for self-healing for you, though all of course require some tradeoff:

-Potions. Not a great option, especially on a high-HP class like Barb. Eventually you'll get Silver Flame potions, which heal a lot (but have drawbacks of their own)
    -Train enough Use Magic Device to use healing scrolls or wands. Taking a splash of a class with Wand Enhancement (ie Rogue, Arti) will make your wand heals more powerful.
    -Bodyfeeder of Lesser Vampirism weapons. Assuming you're a THF barb, the best option at your level is probably a Vampiric Cleaver (http://ddowiki.com/page/Vampiric_Cleaver). That wont be a real solution, but at least it'll help ameliorate some of the damage you're taking, more against trash mobs than hard-hitting bosses that easily break through your DR.
    -Don't solo, run with a healer.

Ultimately it may come down to a playstyle issue. I don't like playing non-self-sufficient classes, so I just don't. You might be the same way, in which case we'd need to know what you DO like about playing your Half-Orc Barb, so we can suggest what might be the closest thing that maintains some self-sufficiency.

Thanks! Main goal, really, is to do 3 barb lives and move on :-)
    Last edited by Sarkastik; 12-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkastik View Post
    Thanks! Main goal, really, is to do 3 bard lives and move on :-)
    Bard, yowch >< might be better to just save your LR, take your L14 Horc Barb up to 20, LR into Bard, then TR - get one of those PLs for free, basically...

Take Cleric, Ranger, Clericx4 as your next levels, Emp Heal as your L15 feat. You'll get Emp Heal, +75 Positive spellpower from DWS, some Vigor SLAs, and Cure Serious (at L20, admittedly). Its not the best self-healing, but it should do nicely to keep you topped off between fights - definitely better than pure Barb, anyway

Community Member

Thanks! Main goal, really, is to do 3 bard lives and move on :-)
    Eh, was that a typo? You meant three barb lives, no?

I did my barb life deeply splashed; it didn't even show the barb icon until level 18. Arti/Rogue gives trap skills and UMD, and you should be able to hit OK success rates with Heal scrolls at Gianthold or earlier. Bard also gives UMD and buffs. Splashing one level of any class which can use wands (Ranger, Cleric, FvS, etc but not pally due to alignment restrictions) will allow you to use Cure Serious wands at level 5 (I think?) with no UMD check. Six Ranger levels will also give you Multishot and ITWF for free (TWF vampirics, as someone suggested above).

If you have access to all Silver Flame packs, you'll typically get SF pots by level 17 after doing Litany, or sooner if you do level 14-16 SF quests earlier. However, this can get quite expensive... Healing amp is your friend--the bracers from Hound are nice, but the raid is rarely run at this point. You could farm out 10%+20% DT armour, or pick up pally lives before your barb ones. Human/Half-Elf have racial healing amp, but not useful for your current life if you're going to use your +20 Heart.

Not exactly healing, but splashing lots of fighter will give you tactical feats/DC enhancements to immobilise enemies (Sap, Improved Trip, Stunning Blow). Dwarf also has DC enhancements. Smart play like pulling no more than you can beat up and using geometry/doors to block line of sight will minimise the damage you take.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Community Member

A few Questions for you OP.

1: Have you eaten any INT Tomes? (You're working through Barb Past Lives so you're TR'ing, I'm guessing you have, but what value?)

2: Same as above with regards Charisma.

3: Which Race are you?

The reason I ask is that I would probably suggest using your +20 LR to Start as a Level 1 Rogue, then take the rest as Barbarian. Starting as a Rogue means a lot more Skill Points, which you can spend in UMD. If you've eaten a +4 Tome then at level 16 I'd suggest taking a second level of Rogue and then continue as a Barbarian. +4 Tomes kick in at 15, but don't really apply until 16, so by taking Rogue at 16 you gain the benefit of higher INT for Skill Points and as a nice side effect you'll now have Evasion if you stick to Light Armour.

You may need to sacrifice a couple of points in STR or CON (but as a Barb you should be fine on those), to bump your INT and CHA a bit, the INT means more Skill Points to spend in UMD and the CHA means more UMD directly.

You're not going to be healing Raids, but that's not the aim. The aim is to be able to somewhat reliably UMD Heal Scrolls between fights. Basically fight, kill the mobs, top up your HP and move on to the next fight.

The Race question was regarding Healing Amp. If you are a race with access to Healing Amp, invest what you can. It's horrendously expensive these days, but it can help you get far more out of those Heal Scrolls.

Side note: You will have to end your Rages to UMD the Scrolls, which isn't ideal, but it beats being a Soul Stone.

The most transparent respec is probably rogue 2 / barbarian 18

This gets you evasion (which you may not have the reflex save to use) and UMD.

But, the ability to use scrolls isn't great, since you'd have to dismiss rage to use them.
    However, this does let you UMD blur wands, which can be a lot of damage mitigation. Combine with the cloak of invisibility for ghostly, and you reduce your incoming melee damage to 72% of what it was before you had blur and ghostly running.

Also, the vampiric cleaver is probably not that great anymore, you can get someone to craft you a Holy +3 weapon of lesser vampirism, This should be ML14 without a masterful craftsmanship shard, and count as a paragon weapon. But without a lot more healing amp, think it would be better to use a DPS weapon to kill things faster, rather than worry about getting +1 HP per hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalone View Post
    Eh, was that a typo? You meant three barb lives, no?
    Yup that was a typo, but I can't seem to edit my post for some reason (forum just hangs when I click the edit button).

Thanks everyone you've given me a few good ideas that I'll need to try out to see how they work for me.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

If you have them, druid can be fun too - some handy heals & buffs, reaving roar (while less powerful than it was) also lets you tear up groups.. take the druid levels earlier & concentrate on the natures warrior line 1st, then add in the remaining barb levels later on & make sure you have at least 10 by the time you hit 20th for the TR. If you go occult slayer barbarian enhancements you don't need to be raged for a lot of your abilities to work so you won't lose out on your ability to self heal so much.

You could also go with a halfling barbarian & spend one of those feats on the dragonmarks.. or combine both ideas, halfling dragonmarked bearbarian!
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    If you have them, druid can be fun too - some handy heals & buffs, reaving roar (while less powerful than it was) also lets you tear up groups.. take the druid levels earlier & concentrate on the natures warrior line 1st, then add in the remaining barb levels later on & make sure you have at least 10 by the time you hit 20th for the TR. If you go occult slayer barbarian enhancements you don't need to be raged for a lot of your abilities to work so you won't lose out on your ability to self heal so much.

You could also go with a halfling barbarian & spend one of those feats on the dragonmarks.. or combine both ideas, halfling dragonmarked bearbarian!
    The druid suggestion is actually a very good one, and not just from a self-healing perspective. *One level* of druid gets you access to Ram's Might and Jump, both of which are quite useful for a barbarian.

One thing that a lot of people don't seem to know: if you take ONE LEVEL in a class that uses healing spells you can use wands with no UMD. So one single level of druid gets you two nice spells and the ability to use all the healing wands out there.

Other useful suggestions: Consider crafting some Lifeshield items--weapons and armor. (It's particularly valuable on a weapon with a very high crit range, like a Falchion). Or get someone to craft the shards for you (heck, I can do it if you're on Thelanis). Lifeshield armor and weapon proccing constantly will radically reduce your need for healing if you've got some decent DR going.

Stunning blow, sap, and trip are all abilities well worth investing in for a barbarian. Anything that limits the ability of enemies to attack you back has significant benefits. For a leveling build survivability > pure damage.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    One thing that a lot of people don't seem to know: if you take ONE LEVEL in a class that uses healing spells you can use wands with no UMD. So one single level of druid gets you two nice spells and the ability to use all the healing wands out there.
    Also resist energy, protection from energy & stoneskin, all rather handy damage mitigation tools
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Its called Bodyfeeder on weapons, Lifeshield on armor (and bows). They do stack with each other, so you could have +30 temp HP at any given time. Lifeshield of Invulnerability armor is basically god mode from L1 to about L7. Lifeshield basically works out to a stacking DR 1.5/-

I also really like Vampiric Cleaver for THF Slashing characters. Bodyfeeder of Lesser Vampirism negates a lot of damage on a Falchion, plus Bleed for more DPS than just a crafted BFoLV item. Its not a Paragon weapon, though, which is unfortunate, so a crafted +X BFoLV item might actually be better DPS now.

Crafted invulnerability got the nerfbat. It's now a +3 shard (was a +1), so masterful lifeshield of invulnerability armor is now ML8, up from ML5. If you are warforged or a heavy armor wearer, you can still get the heavy chain or blademark docent at ML5, though.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwei View Post
    The most transparent respec is probably rogue 2 / barbarian 18

This gets you evasion (which you may not have the reflex save to use) and UMD.

But, the ability to use scrolls isn't great, since you'd have to dismiss rage to use them

People seem to be forgetting that they completely killed easy use of scroll mastery. On my non mechanic rogue, with no mastery, I only heal about 150-170 ish with a scroll. Prior to U19, I was easily hitting 250. For a high HP char like a barb, that soaks up damage, that simply won't cut it. It costs 11 AP to get T3 in scroll mastery from Mechanic. That's like saying it more or less does not exist anymore. AND even if you take druid or something that gives you access to emp heal, the metas do not affect scrolls.

And as far as I can tell devotion does not help scrolls either. (Not sure if this is a change, or always been like that.)

This is probbaly the WORST thing for me that the EP did.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSFWEl View Post
    People seem to be forgetting that they completely killed easy use of scroll mastery. On my non mechanic rogue, with no mastery, I only heal about 150-170 ish with a scroll. Prior to U19, I was easily hitting 250. For a high HP char like a barb, that soaks up damage, that simply won't cut it. It costs 11 AP to get T3 in scroll mastery from Mechanic. That's like saying it more or less does not exist anymore.
    ...The old enhancements had full W&S Mastery cost 10 AP, too. Plus you needed to take far more levels in a class that had W&S Mastery. You now only need at most 3 levels (depending on the class; it's only 1 for Artificer and 2 for most of the rest) in one of about half the classes in the game. It's different, yes, but it's not like it's disappeared altogether.

Community Member

Soloing a bard to 20 is not difficult at all, it might require running challenges over and over as the quests get more difficult, but you can hit early - mid teens on every single character without too much trouble anyway. It's when you start doing the level 12 or so quests that things get trickier (as an example I've done almost every quest once or twice and I just wrapped up the level 8s and I am 13 with most about half of 15 in my exp bar). Of course, I have a 50% tome on my TR toon, so that accelerates things quite a bit. Either way, a well built bard shouldn't have too much trouble.

At 14 self healing on a barb might be tough, but look up the UMD values on the wiki and see if you have any hope of reaching the levels you need if you didn't plan for it. Basically I start with 12-15 int on every single character I roll, even with my tr and that's with a +3 tome of intelligence to come. Skills actually make a big difference in this game, some more than others obviously. If you can reach your umd for good wands, great, if you need heal scrolls you will require a 15% ASF reduction (level 18?) in a blue spot, or you can look for greater twilight armor, but that's not very ideal.

Still, it will cost money either way, a lot of money with wands and scrolls, and depending how efficient you are in quests, more or perhaps slightly less money for a cleric hireling. I don't know if they heal you on passive, all the bots are very, very, very bad at mana management.

If you're just after barbarian past-lives, you don't really need to play as a barbarian at all; you could level to 18 as something like Ranger6/Druid7/Barb5, get xp for 20th, take 2 more barb levels and TR. (Totally just making up the classes; you only need 7 barb levels at 20 since barbarian is first in the list.) If you're willing to spend some TP, you could even get those 5 barb levels with a +5 heart.

Default Update

So a little update on this, I didn't LR that barb but have another toon that I LR'd to barb 10 / rogue 2, took evasion, and tried to max out UMD for self healing. My conclusion, after playing quite a bit of barb now (lower levels), is that I'm actually really enjoying enjoying the healbot companion style, chewing threw the lower level quests, rapidly, with high dps. Evasion was a definite plus -- even having to drop down to light armor, it's a small drop, and barbs were made to take combat hits anyways -- it's the critical random spell/trap hits that kill you, not the mob combat hits, generally. UMD was far too frustrating (as an earlier poster pointed out) because you can't use it when raged, and that's when you really want it. So I am going to LR again back to barb X / rogue 2, evasion, but STR/CON focus and no UMD.

So, I didn't meet my self-heal goal for pugs, but I *am* enjoying playing this way (a lot!). And I definitely recommend taking the 2 rogue levels for evasion.

Community Member

My conclusion, after playing quite a bit of barb now (lower levels), is that I'm actually really enjoying enjoying the healbot companion style, chewing threw the lower level quests, rapidly, with high dps.
    This.

I'm currently working on a 3-barb/5-wiz Eldritch Knight and it is fun to just run through the level hitting things as fast as possible and relying on the healbot to keep me alive. It wouldn't work for raids or groups where there's no room for a hireling, but for soloing content it works very well indeed.

Community Member

instead of UMD for some healing take a look at the new warpriest enhancements (lvl4 cleric or FvS splash). there is a smite like ability that heals you and it's on a 15s cooldown. it is affected by positive spell power (so take the heal skill and find space for an item. you can also double up on it by going TWF.

this can be used while raged so it gives you a very interesting option for farming out the barbarian lives.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Warpriest_en...ents#Tier_Four
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast