Default Issue with Mac Client Download… or just me?

I've tried to download the DNDLauncher.dmg file on three different computers (1 mac, 2 pc) and on all of them, the download just "stops" and doesn't fully download. It doesn't give a cancel error so that I can resume, it just somehow thinks it is finished downloading at between 1.37GB and 3.41GB.

-JJ

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjflanigan View Post
    I've tried to download the DNDLauncher.dmg file on three different computers (1 mac, 2 pc) and on all of them, the download just "stops" and doesn't fully download. It doesn't give a cancel error so that I can resume, it just somehow thinks it is finished downloading at between 1.37GB and 3.41GB.

-JJ
    Getting the disk image downloaded correctly seems to be a recurring problem. The only solution I have seen is to keep trying. It weighs in around 10 GB if I recall correctly so you have a long way to go.

Love your work by the way. Thanks.

Community Member

I also experienced that problem when trying to download the Mac client. I ended up downloading it in 3 different browsers simultaneously while I was sleeping. Eventually it worked.

Downloads
    ------------

I don't think the problem is with the browser but this was interesting to see.

Safari -- 4 failed attempts at just over 1GB

Firefox -- 2 failed attempts at around 300MB

curl(Terminal app) -- 1 failed attempt at unknown size

Chrome -- WINNER! 2 failed attempts at 1GB and 1 full download.

Each download failure was unable to be resumed.

Solutions
    ----------

1.) DDO's staff could try to download the file and TEST out their content provider to see if it works.

2.) DDO's Mac client is hosted by Akamai which is a popular web services provider. DDO staff could check with Akamai for the logs of the Mac client file.

3.) DDO staff can make mirror downloads of the Mac client file.

4.) DDO staff can put up a torrent of the Mac client file.

Optimal Solution
    -------------------

It would be nice to have a direct download option, a torrent option, and to have that version be the latest version which does not need to be patched after installing.

--

I hope that helps!

Default Mac Download Issue

Interesting that you guys noted this same issue. I successfully downloaded earlier in the week to Mac number 1. However, upon trying to download to Mac number 2 on my LAN, I received the same repeated failures as you. Luckily I slid the application onto the home network drive and then across to Mac 2 and was in business. Clearly there is some download issue, wish I could help.

I'm still having the issue, unfortunately. Tried with Chrome and Safari and on my PC. Also tried using a download manager (it got to 95.2% but then hangs and cannot resume).

*sad face*

-JJ

Community Member

Default Torrent?

Quote Originally Posted by bcgone View Post
    Interesting that you guys noted this same issue. I successfully downloaded earlier in the week to Mac number 1. However, upon trying to download to Mac number 2 on my LAN, I received the same repeated failures as you. Luckily I slid the application onto the home network drive and then across to Mac 2 and was in business. Clearly there is some download issue, wish I could help.
    Do you still Have the DMG file? could you seed it as a torrent for a few days? Id pick up the torrent and keep going. Its seems the only way to get the mac client distributed

Community Member

I am now seeing what JJ and others are reporting.

There is definitely something wrong with the Mac client download. It routinely stops after 1 or 2 GB. I have tried it from two very reliable high speed connections and it has happened in both places every time I have tried it.

Just in case Turbine is not reading these forums, I suggest we bug report it to raise awareness:

http://ddobugs.turbine.com/ics/suppo...c&deptID=24037

Posting to follow replies from Turbine! Must...get...Mac brother...hooked...
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Community Member

Default Solution!

I have two solid solutions to this problem.

1) THe client is available on Steam.

2) If you dont have/like steam, I have a torrent running of the mac client. you can find the torrent file here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/fs...3.2013.torrent
    I Do not have a very fast upload speed though, so initial seeding will be slow.

You may need to add the following trackers:
    Code:
    udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce
    as it appears they are not saved to original torrent.

Please note that I encourage you to use the freely available, authorized channels. Use my torrent only if you do not have Steam and Turbine has not yet fixed this problem. Official Distribution channels will be faster and more reliable.
    Last edited by DeadSpatula; 09-03-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Correct link