And Caught in the Web is widely reviled as the most monotonous, tedious raid in the game. People only slog through it because it has exceptional loot.
That said, the loot is undoubtedly inferior to MOTU. A large part of that comes from the new loot system, in which the devs removed a large amount of prefixes/suffixes, so there is far less variation in loot. And the named items are almost all garbage-- +4 enhancement bonuses? I mean, what the heck? On ML28 EE items, they ought to be at least +8, but preferably +10.
I sort of enjoy the expansion. I think that the quests are good (minus the Pink on White effect in What Goes Up.) I enjoy the added power of the ED feats and Ruin is pretty fun. What I dislike is the overall reduction in power of named gear. That was a kick in the shin after putting in the time to "gear" up characters. But adapt or die right?
Right now, I think the end game is just too narrow. There needs to be a lot more quests to run at Level 26-28 [soon 30] so that people can play what they like. The lack of variety in what to do is more frustrating than anything else in my opinion.
I am holding out on a final decision until we see the next Raid this winter. I hope that update has a nice variety of quests for us to run to give players some more options.
A few things why I stopped playing a week ago:
- Loot reason 1: They need to hire a few people to redo loot, badly. Rng loot is not a good end game, never was and never will be. I much prefer the very specific farming aspect of a certain monster dropping a certain item, dating back to everquest - just has a much better feel to it - don't change what already works, you can see this from the negative feedback in beta when the named garbage started popping up.
- Loot reason 2: we don't need better effects yet. We need more effects with 1 unique effect per item. See: shadow ring with 25% blur, or djinn ring with 15/dr lawful. Citw weapons are awesome because of the unique crit ranges/multis and like 5 mods. Torq is great for the unique mod. These days in epic levels we're also after slot consolidation as well, but we're still getting 2-3 mods per named item with no slots. Whoever did eGH loot didn't do this expansion; it's all extremely, visibly, undesirably MEH.
End game reason 1: Got level 28 and stopped - nothing to do. Could TR, but completionist does nothing for my main caster.
End game reason 2: Narrow set of quests to fetch the end game rng loot. Why are you raising the level cap when you're not ready for it? How do you re-use the massive amount of epic content out there already? Update the loot. Imagine a l28 Thornlord (though if it's anything like EE trapsmith's, you guys will forget to give it even +1, thereby screwing up the intended process.)
End game reason 3: Can buy +5 tomes, slot +8 in colorless and loot +10-11. I can't imagine where my motivation to run the most recently released raid went..
You guys go to all this work to make the quests, the item names and whatnot, but your players are losing interest because you don't have compelling loot or guild grouping functions like a raid or 3. There are other minor issues, but those are the larger factors why most of my guild is taking a look at other things to do.
1. The creature companions were awful except for the pseudodragon. Owlbear and tressym? Where is the skele? where is a griffon companion? harpie?
2. The wizards brown paper bag, I mean hat was poorly done and looks awful.The pet hat is the same...they both look like something a south park character would wear.
3. The armor kit that comes with the horrendous turtle shell and cow head pauldron is just outright disgusting looking. Very poorly done.
4. The bladeforged armor kits are equally offensive. Outright ugly with no real details.
5. The shadar kai armor kit is again poorly done. Why not make a kit that looks like the hooded guy on the loading screen?
6. The lag in the new pack is outright horrendous. Poorly done for people with moderate to good PCs
7. The named loot is garbage. Very few items to fit in our gear. Poorly done
8. RETRIBUTIVE: DDO DEFINITION: A piece of loot, usually found in chest loot or end quest rewards, that will definitely be sold or deconstructed. AKA outright garbage and a 00 waste of code.
9. Charging Astral shards for transports? absolutely, 100% ridiculous and an outright insult to us as gamers.
10. Chest loot reroll? again 100% ridiculous and an insult to us all. So its not enough to charge us ridiculous premiums for VIP/packs/expansions and tps? Now we have to BUY our loot too?
11. Zero tomes since UD 19. Zero SP pots. WAI so people buy em Im sure. Again 100% ridiculous and an insult to us all.
12. The shadar kai class IMO is an absolute waste of time.The chain attack is weak and its just a dumb concept for a rogue all around. No rogue wants the agro of all the mobs. Completely nerfed and needs a complete overhaul. Halflings and drow would be better rogues easily and they are F2P classes. Shadar kai should dominate for the $. It doesn't
13.Destiny feats: very weak. Overhaul these plz. poorly done. FIRST BLOOD???? lame
14. those who bought the pack didn't get end rewards for the chains at first. again weak for our $
15. The owlbear hires sit in my hireling folder right next to onyx panther. Whats the point if they cant survive EE for our $ they should be phenomenal hires. Way beyond the ones bought in estar. Tarlov out performs them all and hes available to a F2P player @ lvl 23. Again insulting to us.
16. The release of cosmetic armors....LAME !!!!!!! GET NEW LOOKS charging 15 $ for an old phoenix robe or spiderspun????? Get something fresh...ridiculous to charge those prices for throwback stuff eeven if they do look cool.
17. The cosmetic goggles ?????? the blue again are just outright hideous looking. And no special effect like the spider mask????? LAME AGAIN !!!the storm horn specs are cool but lack detail.
the good with the new xpac
1. the tomes were cool.
2. the quests are cool except mirror darkly, not to fond of that one.
3. The graphics in the explorables are great.(yet lag doesn't let you really enjoy it)
4. The storm horns music is awesome.
The art team gets an A. The zones always look good, and the new monsters are always cool. I particularly like the shaddows who run around making those skittering noises.
There just needed to be MOAR CONTENT. At least one raid would have been cool.
People are finally starting to see that the time it takes for players to acquire what they want and attrite again -vs- the time it takes to release new content is getting further and further apart. We were quoted a new raid early next year, and the servers are almost back down to between expansion/meaningful updates levels.
Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.
This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.Reload