Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Default Early Motu vs Shadowfell expansion traffic: Part III whats the excuse for no players

The expansion generated less traffic than Epic GH did in it's first week peaks around 20,000 compared to 15,000 so far.

Motu release with pre-release week included and Shadowfell release week also with pre-release week included, graphs are lined up and scaled approximately (not perfect but close enough).

*Disclaimer: All statements are generalized without boging down in minutia. Assuming that there are ALWAYS exceptions that test the rule, variations, and un-stated details may be omitted for brevity. These can be assumed to be understood; without bloating my posts with preemptive coverass. [*] Seal[*] Scroll[*] Shard[*] Base Item - eSoS >200 runs

That's easy.

Comparitively very few bought it pre-release or post release. I know of only 1 person out of dozens who bought it and he bought the cheapest pack they had.

Wasn't really an expansion and the customer realized it. I would expect the slight up tick is more do to with re-speccing your toons than playing expansion content honestly.

It's sad but it's the most likely explanation.

The excuse is the crappy quality of the shadowfell expansion in terms of endgame: no raids at all, no good named loot, nothing to bother with.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    The excuse is the crappy quality of the shadowfell expansion in terms of endgame: no raids at all, no good named loot, nothing to bother with.
    While I enjoyed the stormhorns a lot I havnt even played the wehloon quests, it does not really feel like an expansion pack I agree, it feels like two updates packaged together.

It's still early and maybe this is a sign of worse to come, but if this holds true it will bode very poorly for the coming winter months.
    *Disclaimer: All statements are generalized without boging down in minutia. Assuming that there are ALWAYS exceptions that test the rule, variations, and un-stated details may be omitted for brevity. These can be assumed to be understood; without bloating my posts with preemptive coverass. [*] Seal[*] Scroll[*] Shard[*] Base Item - eSoS >200 runs

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    The expansion generated less traffic than Epic GH did in it's first week peaks around 20,000 compared to 15,000 so far.
    EE GH was a better pack than this. Shadowfell is okay . . . but no raid, confusing ENH system, extremely questionable gear changes, etc . . . EE GH was just better than this.

A week later . . . end-game is back to being dead . . . people are back to TRing.

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    While I enjoyed the stormhorns a lot I havnt even played the wehloon quests, it does not really feel like an expansion pack I agree, it feels like two updates packaged together.

It's still early and maybe this is a sign of worse to come, but if this holds true it will bode very poorly for the coming winter months.
    It definitely feels like a couple of updates not an expansion.

No raid to farm.
    No loot worth mentioning in the quests.
    Not even a "giant caves" style mission for quick random loot farming.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

I think it has more to do with the enhancements than the expansion. This expansion wasn't as thrilling for most people as the first forray into the forgotten Realms. Plus with this expansion DDO has a direct thematic competitor on the market.

But overall I would say most former players are waiting to see how the enhancement system shakes out.

Or

You could go to the old standby of "MMO populations are fluid and fleeting."
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Couldn't have said it better.

Community Member

School doesn't start until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    The "all is fine" chorus of fanbois will be out in force tomorrow.

Community Member

Well for me, its largely been an ever increasing discontent not with the game itself but the playerbase's vocal minority on the forums that has lead me to ever less play. But turbine dropping the ball with so many bugs, a lack of any real effort to attract to or instill trust into the playerbase. And in general the fact the game is just getting dull. Not nearly enough content variation while leveling up characters I want so much content I can lvl up a dozen characters without ever repeating the same quest, and dont reallylike how the favor system forces us to do the opposite and never save content for alts to use as first time experiences. Nor do I care for the lack of dev attention to RP aspects like emotes, social hang out areas that really feel geared towards RP, and even a sever being given an official RP tag would all do wonders for my interest in and hope for the future of the game.

This game clearly wants to cater to the casual gamer, but keeps being distracted by the cries of the hard core just enough to keep the game spiraling downward rather then go straight forward toward a better tomorrow.

heh ya gall has the top population. How many cubicals are loggn those characters in. Wayfinder seems a lil off to. I can't picture 250 living souls in there.

wow look at the inactive death on those numbers between active. Theirs literally 10's of thousands just in the first 1-18 levels. lol think it's that special quest run policy?
    Last edited by goodspeed; 08-31-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    That's interesting, someone should tell all the school busses I sat behind, the two school zones, the two county sheriffs at the cross walks of those zones and the teachers at the private school in the third school zone that I dropped my 1st grader off at all week long.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    heh ya gall has the top population. How many cubicals are loggn those characters in. Wayfinder seems a lil off to. I can't picture 250 living souls in there.
    Ghall has been well documented in threads here as being a result of extra accidental logins when people click to join the last server played but its gone back to default (which is Ghall) for multiple reasons including logging into lam etc.

Wayfinder has seen a small increase in activity due to the 10% xp bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    I think it has more to do with the enhancements than the expansion. This expansion wasn't as thrilling for most people as the first forray into the forgotten Realms. Plus with this expansion DDO has a direct thematic competitor on the market.

But overall I would say most former players are waiting to see how the enhancement system shakes out.

Or

You could go to the old standby of "MMO populations are fluid and fleeting."
    I was silly enough to buy it on faith that it would be more like MOTU in size with the same quality as EGH.

After realizing that the named loot is terrible, random loot overpowered and way to few permutations (How many deadly of whatever do you pull every day) that I just don't feel motivated. On top of that they killed so much quality named loot by adding a host of powerful random stuff. I don't see anyone bother running EGH anymore - and why should they on EE? Plus the economy is shot to pieces - nothing is worth the shards anymore with such a glut of stuff and the plat market was shot to pieces when shard auction house was released.

And since Turbine keep releasing the latest Tomes for gold it's near impossible to sell a good Tome you pull yourself. The worst part is that they added 2 packs stuck together with 1 really good wilderness (Stormhorn) and many good quests (varied, not that many rail shooters and asymmetric in nature). But what's the motivation to run them beyond favor? No end game - no raid. No special loot to aim for. Once I hit 28 with my toons I'll have a hard time finding a good reason to do much else. And that's so different from MOTU that had everything from unlocking set bonuses, a raid, citw loot you can upgrade - and for that matter EGH with similar stuff.

Turbine really blew their feet off on this release. So much time wasted on making good quests with a great wilderness but no upgrade system and no reason to continue repeating the quests. And I'll think twice before I'm dumb enough to pre-order the next xpack.

P.S.
    The new change to hidden and secret doors is dumb. It's such an irrelevant thing and they managed to bug stuff in the process. And worse of all - they're going to release future content that hinge on these changes. Which sucks if you play a toon that can't search worth spit. And since the stupid rogue hirelings cap at 24 it has a terrible time unlocking stuff on EH and it probably can't find or undo jack on EE - provided you felt desperate enough to use one for some reason.

Easy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

*maybe
    Farwil, Chaos Gamblers - Argonessen.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

I did the Wheloon series, and two of the Storm horns things so far. Pretty good quests, and cap raise with new feats looks cool. New iconics, yay.

But then.... there's no raid, namedloot is awful, lack of sense of progress actually getting to the new cap, iconics are still a dead end, and the enhancement pass that feels less than polished (it has great ideas, but it needs a lot of finetuning still IMO)...
    Silly changes to mechanics that worked fine (secret doors), and lots of awful new bugs...

It definitely feels more like a couple of updates strung together and named an expansion. There's no new endgame, really. And the iconics are still not TR-able, so can't even use the time to try out the new "races" with my existing characters (no, I'm not making a new iconic. I already did a bladeforged, and I'm not repeating that mistake).

Random loot suddenly all looks the same, and no way to search AH for the tier you want. It's silly OP in places, and came along with a nerf of named items, crafted items and old rand gen.

I bought the collector's edition, and yes it was stupid, but I actually thought it'd be more like eGH and less like 3BC.
    Last edited by Dandonk; 08-31-2013 at 04:15 AM.
    It's definitely an N-word.

Community Member

The worst part is that everyone has been telling them all of this since the day the "expansion" was announced, and from what I can tell, it was entirely ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    The worst part is that everyone has been telling them all of this since the day the "expansion" was announced, and from what I can tell, it was entirely ignored.

No- the worst part is the sheer number of people who blindly bought not only the Collectors edition, but purchased the Legendary upgrade with it. Some bean-counter is looking at what the "expansion" brought in, and they are at a meeting right now saying "SEE?!? We can make a profit by re-labelling 2 adventure packs into 1 expansion- add kittens, they'll buy it up."

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Arnez View Post
    No- the worst part is the sheer number of people who blindly bought not only the Collectors edition, but purchased the Legendary upgrade with it. Some bean-counter is looking at what the "expansion" brought in, and they are at a meeting right now saying "SEE?!? We can make a profit by re-labelling 2 adventure packs into 1 expansion- add kittens, they'll buy it up."
    Yes, I agree. I'm one of the sinners, and on behalf of us all, I profoundly apologize to everyone else. I am sorry if this leads to more of the same in the future.
    It's definitely an N-word.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast