Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Argo is dying

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    It's pretty sad when a FvS can't fill a group on a Friday night. My fear is that by the time Turbine sees the light and merges some servers it'll be too late.
    Yup. Argo seems pretty dead tonight.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    Man, that's a great idea. 20% Public Group bonus, sure it can be manipulated, but it encourages the use of the LFM system over channel groups for leveling (which is really the only place it matters).
    Make it a 10% bonus for public group LFM and a 30% bonus for full groups.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    That's like the worst possible outcome unless you only have one character and are grinding him into a completionist. I need a second wizard like I need a hole in the head.

The funniest part of this thread to me is one of the tr-only-endgame-sucks posters (I forget who) strongly prefers to solo and the example given as to why was how in a pug they all run in different directions in a quest he's never run before. A quest he's never run before?! A soloist tr-maven who doesn't like grouping or endgame skips quests? Now THAT doesn't compute.
    I have 3 TRs, one who is almost ready to TR again, and I skip plenty of quests, in all the level ranges. That doesn't surprise me one bit. In fact, I never bothered to flag for VoN, even in their frist lives. I had meant to, but just overlooked it while leveling right past where they're good for anything but actual flagging and some favor. There are entire chains in the 12 that I have only run because some of my guildies were going to run it, and preferred to group up. If they hadn't started a group for them, I would never have run them. I didn't need them for the xp, so I never even looked for them.

So it's not hard for me to believe that one could get into a quest that one's never run before, in fact, it seems highly likely. A couiple of the guildies that I run with often aren't VIP, and have never been, and are on their third lives on one toon, and second lives on others. They don't even have access to every quest in the game, and can level successfully w/out them.

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Yup. Argo seems pretty dead tonight.
    Nice.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I agree with you that playing the entire game is more fun than playing a few quests at endgame, however, gear doesn't get rendered obsolete to those who like TRing. I still use the ML9 6 str 30 HP Titan belt every time I TR. Those shroud weapons still get me to level 20, five years after I made them.
    Totally. That loot doesn't seem like a waste of time to acquire at all.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Oh god it is NOT. You could do 20-25 pretty much with just elite Streaking though the Epics and I've done that on the 4 toons I TR'd post motu (7 TRs on 4 toons, but that's neither here nor there).

Run all the new content on Elite . . . you're still 25. You HAVE to grind.
    The closest I got on the 3-4 toons I've TR'd since MOTU was one of my caster toons going through a wizard life. I got her up to about 23 or so, they announced the level increase and I immediately went to the 12, got a heart and TR'd her again.

That bullhocky saps my desire to bother with those "end game" things.

I've been trashing so much gear lately, it's silly.

I put a set of EE shadowmail (whatever the caster chain is) and an EE orb also from the high road on the shard exchange when I started up again. Neither sold - as now they are pretty well ****.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Totally. That loot doesn't seem like a waste of time to acquire at all.
    Random gen now ***** on any heroic raid loot.
    This "rework" of random gen is totally horrible, making EE named items obsolete, twink TR items obsolete.

So now we have 2 raids that have borked rewards, and EE quests that are not going to be run because loot is not worth it except few pieces.

TR vs "end game". After you cap few toons, heroic becomes trivial, might as well get to cap and try hardest stuff in game, no ?
    What good is getting all past lives ? To run faster through Shadowcrypt ?

But motivation/"carrot" is at all time low these days. eGH was kinda "revival" and Shadowfell had to Crucible it up
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Random gen now ***** on any heroic raid loot.
    This "rework" of random gen is totally horrible, making EE named items obsolete, twink TR items obsolete.

So now we have 2 raids that have borked rewards, and EE quests that are not going to be run because loot is not worth it except few pieces.

TR vs "end game". After you cap few toons, heroic becomes trivial, might as well get to cap and try hardest stuff in game, no ?
    What good is getting all past lives ? To run faster through Shadowcrypt ?

But motivation/"carrot" is at all time low these days. eGH was kinda "revival" and Shadowfell had to Crucible it up
    Just as a final comment on this TR vs. endgame stuff... please understand that those of us who do not buy in to endgame don't because the loot is never worth it. The way you feel now is the way we always feel. And I have a feeling that the vast majority of the DDO playerbase feels this way, which is why Turbine is moving away from this type... or any type really, of endgame. I understand that some people like that stuff, and I get it. I wish you could play that way, but I think there's not enough of the player base that also like playing that way to support many raids, and I suspect financially for Turbine.

In order for there to be a populated DDO endgame, Turbine needs to do something to get enough people interested. And I"m not sure grinding for needless gear is ever going to pull enough people in. I don't know what the answer is. But I don't think the current gear situation is what's killing endgame. I think it's a design response to an already pointless and dead PvE endgame.

Wait, it's ok everyone. I was just informed by a random player as I was mocking somthing in general chat that agro is doing pretty fine!

Phew that's a relief. So anyway ive been debating. And I think im going to take my first life build over my tr to thel. The tr has +3 tomes in a few spots and all, but the first life has some things I really wouldn't wanna grind again... like that damn eAGA shard. Plus he's got a bit of his destinies ground out.

And so using him as a merchent mule I will transport my twinkable goodies to a new alt domain! Just waiting on those 50% off world transfers. psst turb.. pssssst. Cmon man I can hook you up. They don't call me cheeseburger Eddie for nothin.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Default Too many byoh lfms

Pure fighters and barbs by the time they drink 1,000 pots to get their health back after fighting the first mob the super uber self healing solo elitist are at the boss.just sayin.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kissmybutt View Post
    Pure fighters and barbs by the time they drink 1,000 pots to get their health back after fighting the first mob the super uber self healing solo elitist are at the boss.just sayin.
    You can have self healing fighters and now, with the ehancement pass, barbs. This is a design decision. Any barb or fighter life I do is fully self healing through healing scrolls and keeps up just fine in BYOH groups.

I don't think the player base is that stupid.

Fool me once shame on you, twice shame on me, a third time? No friggin way.
    Agree totally.

And I honestly think it was foolishness instead of maliciousness that lead to the out-dating of end-game raid-loot.
    While this may be true, there is only so many catastrophic game changes that disrespect the player base you can attribute to the developers being clueless, before that card becomes unplayable. Remember, these people who are getting paid to design the game, and that means their job and position depend on them having a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    You can have self healing fighters and now, with the ehancement pass, barbs. This is a design decision. Any barb or fighter life I do is fully self healing through healing scrolls and keeps up just fine in BYOH groups.
    True but in certain circumstances such as getting hammered by mobs still you'll need someone or something to throw you a heal.I have self healing fighters but sometimes the mobs are too much and well i just can't heal fast enough.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Agree totally.

While this may be true, there is only so many catastrophic game changes that disrespect the player base you can attribute to the developers being clueless, before that card becomes unplayable. Remember, these people who are getting paid to design the game, and that means their job and position depend on them having a clue.
    Honestly? I think it's much more likely that some players have no clue. Turbine has unlimited data about player habits, and it is very likely that they design according to that data. So while you see each small group of people complaining about design changes on the forum when they are effected, it's very likely that their opinion is in the vast minority and the changes actually strengthen the game.

Uber Completionist

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Que:

In all seriousness I'm still willing to give the people who are still re-speccing their characters more time to start playing, but at this point I am not under any illusions that this expansion was a breath of new life.
    Feels this way as well...

Then again, Turbine needs to put someone in charge who is much more marketing/service oriented in order to get the game to get people back and new ones in mass.

1) Server lag has never been really fixed.

2) Steam is an awesome way to get people to start playing, but Turbine is too stupid to give them " CD Keys " and it then requires a few days of messing around to get your " Free CD Key " via their support system as somone as to manually generate it if you want it combined to your LOTRO account. After all this time, that they still need a workaround is ridiculous and that alone could stop people from playing. Access to the game has to be made easy.

3) On the programming side of things, they need to stop half-testing, somewhat fixing. C'mon " New Saga bla bla " .. few days later.. " Saga has been disabled .. ", Raid completions not quite working..., Shadow of a doubt was fixed so no shadows you get stuck and prevent quest to continue ... ya right, ran it 40 times to farm the trinket and bugged 3 times where we had to come up with hires attacking, or some aoe spell that would may be splash on the other side of the wall to get them killed... STILL BUGGED. Turbine's testing department isn't effective.

4) as for the LFM, plenty of reasons for them to be rare, but on Turbine's side, they should change the way their Servers work... not necessarily talking about merging, but in terms of making them feel full. Why not allow cross-server grouping? Quests are their own " instance " and this has been done in many other mmos... even WoW without their millions of players had to get into cross-server quests and PVP to make them viable and interesting.

Dungeons & Dragons is a huge franchise in terms of renown, and personally, I love this game, but someone up their isn't being the business man they need to be.

MMOs aren't a new thing anymore... c'mon wake up Turbine...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvirini View Post
    Remove someone dying penalty for other party memebrs(like change it to +10% "you did not die")
    It would still be a 10% penalty

Here where we agree, my mostly fighter is fine in 95% f the BYOH situations.

Honestly? I think it's much more likely that some players have no clue. Turbine has unlimited data about player habits, and it is very likely that they design according to that data. So while you see each small group of people complaining about design changes on the forum when they are effected, it's very likely that their opinion is in the vast minority and the changes actually strengthen the game.
    With unlimited data comes the ability to read it wrong in an unlimited number of ways. Rowan sated "people don't raid much" which is fact . . . but they were drawing the wrong conclusion as to the why.

Unlimited data is useless in figuring out the why.

With unlimited data comes the ability to read it wrong in an unlimited number of ways. Rowan sated "people don't raid much" which is fact . . . but they were drawing the wrong conclusion as to the why.

Unlimited data is useless in figuring out the why.
    It is, however, much more accurate than "My static does it this way, so this is the way it should always be". Everything we see posted on the forums, that isn't from a dev, including this post btw, is from the narrow perspective of "this is how we do it". As we can see, not everybody does it the same way. I have multiple TRs, and none of them are any where near 20 completions on any raids. I just don't run them 99% of the time, and if I do, it's either for favor, or specific drops, and even then, I don't obsess overmuch on them.

Their data is not as unlimited as you may think and even more then that, they most likely only have statistics which do not tell them why players are doing what they are doing, which means anything they conclude from that data is even more limited by their own personal scope as either a former-player or a non-player.

As for strengthening, well that remains to be seen, the game was in distinct decline for the last year after MotuD, but this new expansion has seen the level raise, so we shall see what the future brings.

If it does great things for the game, that is wonderful, but that does not make me as a player feel any better that the loot I farmed and ground for got invalidated.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast