Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo is dying

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Default Argo is dying

It's pretty sad when a FvS can't fill a group on a Friday night. My fear is that by the time Turbine sees the light and merges some servers it'll be too late.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Que:

You must be doing it wrong
    Everyone on your server is suddenly soloing
    You're probably unpopular
    Everyone is suddenly in a guild
    And my favorite "I'm on your server and it's just a non stop wall to wall LFM party when I'm on"

In all seriousness I'm still willing to give the people who are still re-speccing their characters more time to start playing, but at this point I am not under any illusions that this expansion was a breath of new life.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

There are 750 people online right now in Argo's "Who" panel. That's plenty healthy for Argo compared to the last several months. (Where 400-500 was all too common for East coast primetime on a Weekend night.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    It's pretty sad when a FvS can't fill a group on a Friday night. My fear is that by the time Turbine sees the light and merges some servers it'll be too late.
    Have you bothered to read the other threads people have made on this? In the end it will be a big rehash of one common statement. That fewer and fewer people are wasting their time with pugs. If I were to start an LFM the order of priorities would be as follows.

1) My guildies are asked if they want to join.
    2) User channel members are asked if they want to join.
    3) If nobody from these joins and I feel I can solo the quest, I would prefer to solo rather than pug.
    4) If I am not in a rush, I will put off non-soloable quests till a later date rather than pug.
    5) If I am desperate to run it right now, I will consider pugging it.

Number five has yet to happen. Patience has always succeeded in preventing me from dealing with the LFM panel. I simply don't find it necessary to get a group.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 08-30-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Have you bothered to read the other threads people have made on this? In the end it will be a big rehash of one common statement. That fewer and fewer people are wasting their time with pugs. If I were to start an LFM the order of priorities would be as follows.

1) My guildies are asked if they want to join.
    2) User channel members are asked if they want to join.
    3) If nobody from these joins and I feel I can solo the quest, I would prefer to solo rather than pug.
    4) If I am not in a rush, I will put off non-soloable quests till a later date rather than pug.
    5) If I am desperate to run it right now, I will consider pugging it.

Number five has yet to happen. Patience has always succeeded in preventing me from dealing with the LFM panel. I simply don't find it necessary to get a group.
    I get your point, I'm as guilty as anyone of doing the same thing, but I don't think that's a good answer to anyone wondering where the f the groups/players are, especially a newer player. In fact that'd send me packin for some other game. "Game designed with group play and dynamics in mind? Ohh but I can't ever get a group so I'll go try to find some other game."

Ever since the game started it's gotten harder and harder to get groups. Guilds and channels coming into play really put the kibosh on the LFG system which in turn has made for a pretty newb-unfriendly game environment. It made more sense to me to only have the LFG system and friends lists for organizing groups but I also understand the social nature of any online game and the desire to have a chat sesh with just friends and other folks "in your circle". It's a tough puzzle to solve as far as the game mechanics go and not something that can readily be fixed without causing a big freakout from one side or the other. So you leave both options available and the players deal with the consequences of their own decisions in regards to how stagnant the player base has become. People can complain all day but unless the player base, in general, starts using LFMs again we're going to have a stagnant and predictable game experience and very few of those infuriatingly funny moments we used to have (anyone remember when good ol' oldbum would join your LFM?). We've given that up.

I pug all the time. Hell, just left a pug. What level range were you doing anyway?

Community Member

It's not just Argo, the LFM's on every server are in a sad state.

Without a healthy LFM this game will be losing players, not gaining them.

Turbine needs to address the issue.

You should also remember, it's Friday of the last 3-day weekend before the start of school, at least in the U.S. A lot of families use this weekend for a last-chance "mini-vacation" (pack up the kids and go visit gramma, or go camping, or whatever). No real surprise, it'll probably be relatively dead this weekend.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    You should also remember, it's Friday of the last 3-day weekend before the start of school, at least in the U.S. A lot of families use this weekend for a last-chance "mini-vacation" (pack up the kids and go visit gramma, or go camping, or whatever). No real surprise, it'll probably be relatively dead this weekend.
    Except that Argo has quite a few players on tonight. Admittedly not a ton of LFMs, though.

Now (approaching midnight Eastern) Argo is down to 630 players online, which is still pretty good. The LFM situation, OTOH, is pretty grim with only 14.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Except that Argo has quite a few players on tonight. Admittedly not a ton of LFMs, though.

Now (approaching midnight Eastern) Argo is down to 630 players online, which is still pretty good. The LFM situation, OTOH, is pretty grim with only 14.
    DDO is a solo game now. Basically think of an mmo you used to play, then remember when stuff was toned down and duel boxing became common place. This is like that. Only you don't need to duel box.

You can still raid though.....bwahahahah
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    Was this for raids cause right now im not running any with this completion list all borked up..........im finding it really disheartening as I got most of my raid loot from 20th lists, and on quite a few toons I was close to 20th lists for various raids.........so im reluctance to run any in case it screws me out of the 20th lists.........thats if they ever fix it and put it back to what it was..........I dunno. Some people might be in the same boat, others are still messing around with their enhancements most likely as well.

It's to be expected to be honest, the player base is dwindling, and the level range is expanding. And yet, there's nothing new to do at end game.

Back when the cap was 20 we had about 8 regularly-ran raids plus almost double that as occasionally ran. Now we have, at best, 2 regular raids, and personally I haven't ran CitW in over a year as there's nothing for me in there, and I hate the mechanics of it.

TL;DR: Spreading the level range but barely adding anything to run on a regular basis is bad for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    This, in spades. Prior to my disability, I wouldn't be here, I'd be at the lake. I don't take computers, or lap tops, or cell phones to the lake. I take fishing poles, and the boat, back when I had one. Not everybody sits around anxiously awaiting a 3 day weekend so they can game. Hell, for me, every weekend is a 3 day weekend now, and I can tell you, they're overrated. But not everyone has my perspective on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    This, in spades. Prior to my disability, I wouldn't be here, I'd be at the lake. I don't take computers, or lap tops, or cell phones to the lake. I take fishing poles, and the boat, back when I had one. Not everybody sits around anxiously awaiting a 3 day weekend so they can game. Hell, for me, every weekend is a 3 day weekend now, and I can tell you, they're overrated. But not everyone has my perspective on it.
    True, if I had the cash, and 2 weeks, hell 2 months id be gone. I'd arrive back at my house near 2 months later then head back in to make some more cash.

Though 2 days off all I like to do is just be lazy, which means usually take a 12 hour nap, roll outa bed and cook something up. Then do some things that need done for 5 hours, lawn maintenance, some cleaning, vehicle repair, billing papers, all that fun tedious ****. All of which afterward id probably hop on an fps for some quick 30 minute instant gratification then log into an mmo with **** ive run 20k times, and a dead guild list and deader life sign box.

I think the moral of this comment is, lets all take long damn naps and have fun! Even dirt poor people can have fun so long as they got a source of food and water.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    I get your point, I'm as guilty as anyone of doing the same thing, but I don't think that's a good answer to anyone wondering where the f the groups/players are, especially a newer player. In fact that'd send me packin for some other game. "Game designed with group play and dynamics in mind? Ohh but I can't ever get a group so I'll go try to find some other game."
    I disagree. I do believe this is a good answer to anyone wondering why the LFMs are so vacant. This way they can evaluate whether or not they should be playing this game. If they are the kind of player who prefers to have the system do all the work for them with only a few button pushes, then they should consider a different MMO. Better they find out now than after they've spent time and money on this game.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 08-31-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DakDeFrosted View Post

If the issue is that the player base doesn't want to run in pugs, how would Turbine address this without making it worse and forcing people to leave over forced-grouping?

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    If the issue is that the player base doesn't want to run in pugs, how would Turbine address this without making it worse and forcing people to leave over forced-grouping?
    Turbine has built several systems specifically to discourage PUGing:
    Dungeon scaling: More PUGers: enemies hit harder and have more hitpoints and so on..
    10% pugging XP penalty(someone dying)
    Dungeon alert(When doing invis run or trying to speed up stuff by splitting up)

So the fix would be to:
    Remove dungeon scaling.
    Remove someone dying penalty for other party memebrs(like change it to +10% "you did not die")
    Remove dungeon alert or change Change dungeon alert to be something like "agroed monsters/number of players in party" for the levels.
    And give some bonus for grouping or such.

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    I disagree. I do believe this is a good answer to anyone wondering why the LFMs are so vacant. This way they can evaluate whether or not they should be playing this game. If they are the kind of player who prefers to have the system do all the work for them with only a few button pushes, then they should consider a different MMO. Better they find out now than after they've spent time and money on this game.
    I.E., don't listen to a damn thing you have to say? Got it, thanks!

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvirini View Post
    Turbine has built several systems specifically to discourage PUGing:
    Dungeon scaling: More PUGers: enemies hit harder and have more hitpoints and so on..
    10% pugging XP penalty(someone dying)
    Dungeon alert(When doing invis run or trying to speed up stuff by splitting up)

So the fix would be to:
    Remove dungeon scaling.
    Remove someone dying penalty for other party memebrs(like change it to +10% "you did not die")
    Remove dungeon alert or change Change dungeon alert to be something like "agroed monsters/number of players in party" for the levels.
    And give some bonus for grouping or such.
    And how does any of this make grouping with unknowns better than grouping with the people I do now?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DakDeFrosted View Post

It's out of turbine's power if established players decide to close ranks, it's always the community at fault like this, this is how mmos die.

Why do you think turbine has to make sweeping changes to the gameplay and make it much more accessible to completely new customers, with such ridiculous things as iconic characters.

Why do you think the game is a cake walk now? It's because turbine knows that the older players either can just not be bothered to 'teach' newbies or became elitist just because they know of a way to cheese an encounter that might be considered difficult. It's understandable too, if the game stayed super difficult, with no pay to win options, without new and overpowered loot et al. why should anyone who has already suffered the learning curve have to invest time into some player they don't even know, who can and will ditch you / the game entirely afterwards.

Putting it another way it's like what the baby boomers have done to all their generations of kids.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast