Default The first load of the game, once in game no connection issue

I have an old pc (2009) with an old graphic card
    may be this is the problem and i know it..
    but i wonder if anyone else has the same issue:

When i turn on the PC the first time i try to load the game, once 'in game' there is alway a 'broken connection' red icon up at the top of the screen.
    Then after 1 min it crash out to windows.
    After that when i re-try to enter 'in game' and is always successful OK and i can play normally.

do you think is a problem of the, now borderline, limits of my old pc ?

AMD Sempron 3400+ 1.80 GHz single CPU tech (ok don't be shocked, lol)
    ram 2 gb
    graphic card: Radeon Sapphire 1950x pro
    hard disk 80 gb

Community Member

The same problem happens on my quad core machine, 8 gigs ram, 1 gig video ram.

Fully defragged. Fully cooled.

I can render 3d scenes from 3dsmax with less problems than 'logging into ddo'

It ain't you; it's them.

Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    The same problem happens on my quad core machine, 8 gigs ram, 1 gig video ram.

Fully defragged. Fully cooled.

I can render 3d scenes from 3dsmax with less problems than 'logging into ddo'

It ain't you; it's them.

well,

that's pretty incredible...

Community Member

I'd recommend to try the DDOpreloader. My disco-on-first-login issue is gone, since I use this tool.

My first load up of the game has crashed to desktop every single time, no exceptions since I started playing again roughly a week ago.
    Just throwing my hat in the ring.
    i7-860
    win7
    amd radeon 7700
    Last edited by khamastus; 09-06-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    1337 x Pi = 80081E5

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    I'd recommend to try the DDOpreloader. My disco-on-first-login issue is gone, since I use this tool.
    Came here to recommend this.
    Helped my mate, give it a try.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drathdragon View Post
    well,

that's pretty incredible...
    And mostly wrong as well. You can go read through the hundreds of posts on this topic.

1. Turbine can not control hardware IO through put.
    2. Turbine can not control Windows slow 1st time read caching issues.
    3. Turbine can control a better heartbeat protocol.

If you don't want to trust some player's creation of ddoloader, you can use a simple text editor program (do NOT use WordPad or Notepad aka M$ products) such as notepad++, textpad, etc. to open up "client_gamelogic.dat" before you launch ddo to have similar speed up results that could result in you getting into the game faster and the first time. However, no product can guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Came here to recommend this.
    Helped my mate, give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    Worked very well. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    1337 x Pi = 80081E5

You should not need third party programs to get the game to run properly.

Firstly, why is there seemingly no acknowledgement of this by Turbine?

Secondly why is no fix in place?

I have three accounts and all three have this issue. Yes I can use the preloader but like I said this should not be a requirement to get the game to properly log you in. Given the impact on customers, the fact that Turbine have not been able to do anything about it but a forum member has speaks volumes for their customer service and IT people.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk6 View Post
    You should not need third party programs to get the game to run properly.
    Firstly, why is there seemingly no acknowledgement of this by Turbine?
    Secondly why is no fix in place?
    1. Because it is primarily a hardware and OS issue.
    2. It is cheeper for Turbine's bottom line to let the players deal with it than it is to put in work arounds for the issue.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    1. Because it is primarily a hardware and OS issue.
    2. It is cheeper for Turbine's bottom line to let the players deal with it than it is to put in work arounds for the issue.
    since this problem just started a few updates ago it does certanly appear an issue with turbines coding
    machine ran fine with this program untill update xxx after update a resounding number of people start having this issue
    no changes to user equipment yet disconnect issues suddenly start happening after update...yeah ime sure this has nothing to do with internal code changes

Quote Originally Posted by ericrd View Post
    since this problem just started a few updates ago it does certanly appear an issue with turbines coding machine ran fine with this program untill update xxx after update a resounding number of people start having this issue no changes to user equipment yet disconnect issues suddenly start happening after update...yeah ime sure this has nothing to do with internal code changes
    Incorrect. People have been fighting this issue for closing in on 2 years now.

The reason why a new group of players are seeing is is a combination of
    1) more data to load.
    2) more internal and external fragmentation of the dat files. (of which we only have control of external any more.)

Community Member

Well, I've been getting this crash on first load since U19. I have a fairly decent machine that hasn't changed recently and a fully defragged drive so its not that.

Its really annoying but I am loathe to use a 3rd party fix - if its that good I just wish Turbine would stick it in an update or as part of a repair install option or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    And mostly wrong as well. You can go read through the hundreds of posts on this topic.

1. Turbine can not control hardware IO through put.
    2. Turbine can not control Windows slow 1st time read caching issues.
    3. Turbine can control a better heartbeat protocol.

If you don't want to trust some player's creation of ddoloader, you can use a simple text editor program (do NOT use WordPad or Notepad aka M$ products) such as notepad++, textpad, etc. to open up "client_gamelogic.dat" before you launch ddo to have similar speed up results that could result in you getting into the game faster and the first time. However, no product can guarantee it.
    Sorry this is a BS answer it always gets put on the people playing the game.. Truth is Turbine has no clue as to what to do.. it makes no difference what some has for a PC and what hardware it is running..

When i turn on the PC the first time i try to load the game, once 'in game' there is alway a 'broken connection' red icon up at the top of the screen.
    After that when i re-try to enter 'in game' and is always successful OK and i can play normally.

ram 2 gb
    hard disk 80 gb
    Just throwing it out there, I originally had this issue on Win 8, switched to 7 and it fixed itself until the next update (don't remember which one it was) then it started happening on 7. I reinstalled Win 8 and it stopped happening until the most recent update, of which it has been happening without fail upon every first load of the game.

Win 8 x64 Pro
    8gb RAM
    2gb 7850 AMD HD Radeon

For the people/person stating it's hardware or OS related, I'd beg to differ. The problem seems to shift between OS's with every update. Funny enough, this problem isn't present in lotro. Also worth noting is that prior to allowing DDO and lotro through Windows firewall in both Win 7 x64 and Win 8 x64, the games load up very very fast compared to initial loading with exceptions in firewall.

I'm guessing the problem has to do with the scan that I'm guessing Turbine does prior to the first load in Windows. There's got to be some reason the hard drive accesses so much, and it can't be because of the game. Other more robust mmos do not access the hard drive nearly so much when loading.

ram 2 gb
    hard disk 80 gb
    I just fixed my issue.
    Downloaded a fresh install and ran the installer on to a 16gb flash drive. First load issues gone.

-----

Another option to try that I think may work. Create a small (20gb or so) partition on your hard drive and install DDO there.
    That should in theory reduce your seek times by limiting the amount of fragmentation that has to be gone through.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

i also came here to recommend the preloader.

since i started using it i've only got the red icon on login once, and that was when i was loading in a 2nd character for a dualbox session.

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

While I agree that we should not have to use a pre-loader program to access the game, I'm glad that it is working for some/most of you. I am curious, has anyone reloaded the game from the DDO.com site? I have been having this same 1st time connection issue since the expansion update a few months ago. I have rarely had any log-in issue since I started playing about 3 yrs ago.

Less than a week ago I had such a connection issue as the most recent "Patch" would not load properly and left me with a cannot find client file message. I could not log into the game and had to reload from the DDO site. I selected the option "Play as you install." It loaded a program called Happy cloud, which after a few minutes loaded enough to get me to log in. It still loaded as I played, of course I had some serious lag, but after I was able to play normally. Still had the 1st time connection issue though.

Well last night as I played I lost my connection. When I tried to log in it kept loosing the connection (Lost count after 10 times). Sometimes just as I got into the game, sometimes after a few seconds to minutes into the game, and after a while I could not even log into the character page. However, once I removed this Happy Cloud program I was able to access the game. I know this is a long post, but I wanted to explain exactly what happened to get an accurate response. I am concerned now that I will have more connections issues and currently reloading the game, from the DDO site again, but this time I elected the Install then play option.

I have defragged and cleaned up the Hard Drive and added and extra fan for cooling so I'm pretty sure those are not the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and hope you all stay connected.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepsalot-1 View Post
    Sorry this is a BS answer it always gets put on the people playing the game.. Truth is Turbine has no clue as to what to do.. it makes no difference what some has for a PC and what hardware it is running..
    Yes, because obviously it's Turbine's responsibility to come each of our homes monthly and do our computer maintenance, making sure our hard drives are defragged, registires clean and in order, no viruses, updated drivers, etc. etc. Obviously the player bears no responsibility in this at all!

It always makes a huge difference what someone has for a pc and what hardware is running. It all has an effect. And not maintaining ones computer, which is more common than people who do take the time to keep their machines in order I've found through the stuff my husband and son spend 90% of their time on when repairing others computers, is the best thing any player can do for themselves whether it's a mmo or single player game.

But it's easier to blame others than to put effort in ourselves I suppose.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by Quintain-Valewalker View Post
    While I agree that we should not have to use a pre-loader program to access the game, I'm glad that it is working for some/most of you. I am curious, has anyone reloaded the game from the DDO.com site? I have been having this same 1st time connection issue since the expansion update a few months ago. I have rarely had any log-in issue since I started playing about 3 yrs ago.

Less than a week ago I had such a connection issue as the most recent "Patch" would not load properly and left me with a cannot find client file message. I could not log into the game and had to reload from the DDO site. I selected the option "Play as you install." It loaded a program called Happy cloud, which after a few minutes loaded enough to get me to log in. It still loaded as I played, of course I had some serious lag, but after I was able to play normally. Still had the 1st time connection issue though.

Well last night as I played I lost my connection. When I tried to log in it kept loosing the connection (Lost count after 10 times). Sometimes just as I got into the game, sometimes after a few seconds to minutes into the game, and after a while I could not even log into the character page. However, once I removed this Happy Cloud program I was able to access the game. I know this is a long post, but I wanted to explain exactly what happened to get an accurate response. I am concerned now that I will have more connections issues and currently reloading the game, from the DDO site again, but this time I elected the Install then play option.

I have defragged and cleaned up the Hard Drive and added and extra fan for cooling so I'm pretty sure those are not the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and hope you all stay connected.
    It has almost nothing to do with your drives fragmentation but the game files fragmentation.

Delete and reinstall , quick loads for the first 2 or 3 logins then progressively gets worse. Defrag your harddrive all you want , won't help.
    What did help besides running from a flash drive as I do now was to only play ddo on my machine and never shut down completely. I would use sleep mode every night.
    If I played another game or shut down my pc I'd get long load with failed first connection.