Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Speaking purely of weapons, what I am noticing is that anything with either a duel effect (lacerating) or proc effect has dropped out of the tables. I would guess the former is the case because so many of those include a proc (or burst) effect, and maybe there is an attempt to lower the number of procing effects in an effect to cut down on the number of calculation that need to be made.

I am hoping this is just the first stage of many new effects, because I agree the new design is very bland, but I'm just trying to figure out *why* the new had to eliminate the old instead of complementing it.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    Speaking purely of weapons, what I am noticing is that anything with either a duel effect (lacerating) or proc effect has dropped out of the tables. I would guess the former is the case because so many of those include a proc (or burst) effect, and maybe there is an attempt to lower the number of procing effects in an effect to cut down on the number of calculation that need to be made.

I am hoping this is just the first stage of many new effects, because I agree the new design is very bland, but I'm just trying to figure out *why* the new had to eliminate the old instead of complementing it.
    It could be as simple a reason as backing off from replicating named item effects. Something that has also seen some complaints.

Though I will say I will miss not being able to find the AoE weapon suffixes as they made nice off hand items for adding damage to returners.

You know, I have noticed a general lack of variety on the random loot tables as well. Not that I do not like some of the changes. Nevertheless, I have very been disappointed with the disappearance of special named BTCOE loot and a number of prefixes and suffixes. Putting convalescence (healing amp) on random loot back in U14 was a major upgrade, so were the ultra-rare but valuable affixes like "of a Thousand Suns." They added very useful benefits into the game outside of rare named items.

Now, my hope is that this is a side effect of Shadowfell Conspiracy being rushed out the door. I will say this: all things considered, this has been a much less buggy release than Menace of the Underdark, even if it feels somewhat lacking in content (I am mainly talking about the lack of raids). Sure, Abbot was closed for a few days and they borked 20th raid completions. I wouldn't call it a bug-free release. But perhaps this is just the devs focusing on quality over quantity. Perhaps the random loot gen change was made "necessary" by higher-ups to keep the game "fresh" or something (I don't know how corporate executives think, but I am guessing this was the reasoning) and the content manager made the decision to release a small loot-gen table with less buggy effects than a huge loot-gen table with potential for huge bugs. Perhaps the devs are preparing to roll out more effects over time (as they did with Augments). We can only hope. But I would REALLY like to get back something to the equivalent of the only ultra-rare enhancements like "of a Thousand Suns" at some point. Having Wondrous Craftsmanship show up on items about 5-10% of the time does not make for very special items.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Two predictions on what we will see if "lacerating" returns.

1)It will be renamed bleed III and have a +3 value.

2)It will be a prefix, like most other damage effects.

That would remove pretty much everything that made it good.
    Yes and it won't be a ML2 effect I can promise you that. It will be 1d4 per level so "lacerating" will be Bleeding III available on a ML10+ item.

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    I would REALLY like to get back something to the equivalent of the only ultra-rare enhancements like "of a Thousand Suns" at some point. Having Wondrous Craftsmanship show up on items about 5-10% of the time does not make for very special items.
    As much as I share your hope, I suspect that unless they figure out how to implement "of a Thousand Suns (I-VI)" we're boned, unless these affixes make a return on unique named items.

Last year they took unique named item effects like "Nightmares" and added it to random loot; this year they seem to be reversing course and trying to take random loot effects to make named items...

And apparently it's all good so long as new players have an easier time dealing with the undead... (yes, I keep harping on that because I find it ridiculous!)
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystera View Post
    Yes and it won't be a ML2 effect I can promise you that. It will be 1d4 per level so "lacerating" will be Bleeding III available on a ML10+ item.

I want to laugh, but part of me knows what you say is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Actually, Ghost Touch was combined with Undead Bane.
    It's called Ghostbane now. It gives Ghost Touch plus Bane damage versus Undead.

So far we're seeing encouraging results. The changes made are making it easier for characters at all levels of play to find suitable weapons for the challenges they encounter.

Undead were one of the sore spots that had the potential to turn new and low level players off from DDO, so we're happy we were able to introduce a better tool to help overcome that challenge.

Some other missing effects are only gone temporarily, such as Bodyfeeder or ability score damage on hit.
    They will be re-introduced once higher-level versions are created so that you can continue finding better versions of them as you level.
    This is very good news - Riposte and doublestrike is getting so blah already - Number crunchers (I am sometimes) will say yeah mathematically it's better, but you know that Combined Affix system was awesome even if the effects had low saves and all, It added more flavor to gear... that's what I want to see more of.

I'd like to see those freezing gale, radiance, obscenity, thousand suns again (i c wut u did ther) - MOAR! - We're finally a level where Obscenity might show up more than once in a blue +2 bonus weekend in EE content, and now it's gone, *cry*
    Lich - Lichclaw - Lichdust - Lichfate - Lichgaze - Lichrot - Lichsoul - Lichvault
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    DDOCast Contributor http://www.ddocast.com/
    http://www.twitch.tv/g_lich

I was so excited with the lvl. cap raise and hoped for more of Meteoric and such effects but no, instead we have like 5 different pre- and suffixes. Lame, very lame. I hate you for that FoS. Literally. Lucky me I gathered a few shinies but why the limitation?

That decision of yours or whoever made it sucks.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    That decision of yours or whoever made it sucks.
    This.

Loot is now boring. Also, it doesn't appear to be unusual to have 4 or 5 items with some combination of deadly, accuracy or speed in any given end reward list. It would be really nice to have some, y'know, variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    ...bedraggle...
    This word does not mean what you think it means, unless you think everyone posting here is somehow getting Cordovan and Feather of Sun wet.

Community Member

So far we're seeing encouraging results. The changes made are making it easier for characters at all levels of play to find suitable weapons for the challenges they encounter.

Undead were one of the sore spots that had the potential to turn new and low level players off from DDO, so we're happy we were able to introduce a better tool to help overcome that challenge.

Some other missing effects are only gone temporarily, such as Bodyfeeder or ability score damage on hit.
    They will be re-introduced once higher-level versions are created so that you can continue finding better versions of them as you level.
    I like what you did with the random loot. Even though I prolly burned 100 timers in past feww months getting comms, relic weaponss. I love that chests are exciting again, almost like being new to the game again. Very D&D flavor like of finding perfect random item. Most of what you did was good. If you could make the fancy items like Obscenity/Etc come back, even at a lowered drop rate. It'd be swell. Also relax on the random properties on named loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    This word does not mean what you think it means, unless you think everyone posting here is somehow getting Cordovan and Feather of Sun wet.
    How odd.. that bedraggled means dilapidated, in the sense I was trying to use it, was "beat-up" as in Bedraggled buildings. But Bedraggle means only to make wet.

Well that was informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    You are probably right about that. One thing I do not like about the new loot is the descriptions. Acid III or Cold II just doesn't sound as fun or neat as 'icy burst' or 'desert sands' or 'of the tyrant!'

I know some folks here care more about the effect than the look or description, but the fantasy element is still a part of the fun of this game for me and changing everything to generic 'cold I, cold II, cold III" is pretty blah.
    LOL yah.

But then again. If I did loot, it would have been done totally different.

Temporarily? I would have assumed this was a very important change and would be implemented post haste, but I suppose the game's loot system running as a ghost of its former self doesn't qualify as a very important issue. Why did you implement a crippled version of the system instead of just merging the new items into the old table while you worked on balancing?

I am baffled and saddened by how long this change is taking to implement. It's like we're a beta server...

Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    Temporarily? I would have assumed this was a very important change and would be implemented post haste, but I suppose the game's loot system running as a ghost of its former self doesn't qualify as a very important issue. Why did you implement a crippled version of the system instead of just merging the new items into the old table while you worked on balancing?

I am baffled and saddened by how long this change is taking to implement. It's like we're a beta server...
    We are a beta server.

anyone seen lv 13 +15 items anymore? the AH is dry and i have too many alts. ps i think they took my lv 11 elf/helf only +15 goggles.. just something ive noticed

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    So there's been a few threads about it now, but no official response I can find.

Feather of Sun, you were communicative and helpful in the thread about min level adjustments, so why are you silent/absent now?

What happened to all the missing affixes? Sun's Fury, Crusader, convalescent etc... Oh, and "clickies," are those supposed to be gone as well? Feather, in all the "loot adjustment" conversations, you never mentioned (that I can find) anything about "certain affixes & clickies are being removed as part of this systems change." So is this an unintended issue that's being "looked into," or is it an intentional change to the loot table that was not deemed worth mentioning in a thread reply or release notes?

Just when the communication was improving, y'all clam up about this one...

So, can we get an official word on this?

Wether it's "oops" or "go suck eggs & like it!" anything would be appreciated over unresponsive silence.

Please?
    Silence is probably better from their perspective than "We're trying to work it into the new system but just aren't sure we can figure out how."

Community Member

There are only 2 possible reasons why they say nothing about this.....

1. They want to get out a lot more cool pre and suffixes in the next update, including the old great named ones like Thousand Suns,Meteoric,

but they don't want to tell us about it so we are excited when update 20 hits.

2. They removed all the cool pre and suffixes forever and figured out now that the majority of the players don't like that change.

If that is the case the Dev who created this new and boring loot has no clue about the game and what makes random loot fun.

Of course i hope it is reason 1
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

Community Member

Thumbs down

I dont know if it is just the loot changes but lately i dont even look at loot gen stuff after about lvl 20,i literally vendor every loot gen item i pick up with complete disregard. i cant sell any of the lvl 20+ loot gen items on the AH or get any use of of them. ill put things like +8 wis of resistance 9 on there for like 5-15k for 3 days and it will come back.

same goes for all the new loot gen weapons,(blah-blah of ghostbane seems to be the standard mostly).no body wants any of this stuff,its trash for the min lvl of the items,there is nothing unique about any of it and the market is flooded with it. How about some actually useful lvl 20+ loot gen? or somewhat unique or mildly desirable combinations of enhancements on loot gen items?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Count me in as not liking this new thing, uber generic loot, you guys seem to have zero direction, a year ago we get composed affixes (Thousands suns, Erosive, Meteoric, Oceanic, wintry, Debilitiating etc. etc.) and a year later that work is obviated by making all loot look like someone who intensely and devotedly loves spreadsheets re-designed it.

You guys are never going to get bad game players and non-gamers to stick with DDO... unless you redesign the game to have point and click movement and fire/alt fire simplicity... That game already exists, and it has a much bigger advertizing budget, and trumps DDO with cartoon graphics so that non gamers wont feel nerdy because it looks realistic and serious. You'll never be WoW... stop trying.

Stop pandering to a player base that can not play DDO. The game is dying while you are distracted by this false promise of "casuals".

You're losing players, not because the game is hard or complicated, but because repeating the same identical unchanging content over and over is BORING, it's not because your game is too hard for farmville fans to figure out.

You're also losing players because the past 6 months people spent building a character, running the same identical raids over and over trying to get cool stuff; was just made largely pointless by multiple dramatic changes at the same time. Changes have to happen in MMO's or they stagnate, but changes too quickly just make everyone wonder if they wasted their play time.

And you're losing players because you pander to non-gamers and the new systems turn off existing players. You've been repeating this same design mistake since you started putting in inaccurate number ranges instead of dice trying to dumb down everything. Every step away from D&D just loses you more gamers and D&D fans, while not returning a significant number of new casuals. You're like a band that changes its sound to gain more commerical success, doesn't manage to make a hit song, and loses most of its old fanbase. You're like the moral of the greedy person who drops what they have in one hand to take a wild grab at a bigger pile, misses it and so loses both.

Perversely at the same time you're pumping out "Ghostbane" because newbies can't figure out how to kill undead, you're adding massive new enhancements that stack up to 10 times but not more than 1 every 3 seconds, on a reverse vorpal that gets confirmed with another 1, with a cool down of 120 seconds, and stacks expire one every 2 seconds....

Wait whats that you say? A stacking bonus that will never ever stack? Exactly? Yes exactly... You're adding complexity in one corner while making things feel dumbed down in another... Time for a Dev meeting guys, get the direction straight, figure out THE REAL reason DDO is losing so many players. Stop valuing exit surveys over common sense. Hard core gamers exist in numbers great enough to keep an MMO immensely profitable... Just look at Steam, or MOBA games. Market your game as the MMO for real gamers, show off the high skill ceiling, and make the combat more responsive and better animated. Improve the physics, weed out the lame abilities and replace with stream lined systems that make combat MORE FUN. Add procedural pathways/traps/mobs/secret door locations to lower the boredom factor. Add MORE raids like Shroud and Abbot, and VON and Twilight Forge (but with more than 4 peoples worth of stuff to do at the end)... FOT bores me to tears, CitW is a linear series of beatdowns.

Accept your niche DDO, embrace it and stop trying to pander to a player base that will never ever stay with you... Like the nerdy guy who took up body building and started watching Twilight, and wearing designer clothes, but still didn't get the hot girl; You should turn back to the nerdy but cute girl that always liked you for who you were, even before you got (sortah) buff
    This. devs please read this. moar crucible. less kobold assault.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast