Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    693

    Default What to do with my level 17, 3rd life barb?

    I just can't play this character anymore. It's boring to do so, and just an incredible pain. He needs a group just to function while leveling. Sure, I can bring a hireling for heals, but that only covers so much. Traps eat the healer alive, and mobs with AoE spells slaughter them.

    I've considered TRing into a pally/monk build, and just going with that, only to remember that barbs cannot do so, due to alignment restrictions. This leaves me just completely heart broken, as I have no idea how to function in DDO after U14 on this character. The only builds I can think of that could work would be a fighter/cleric type build, with monk added in at level 18 and 19 for evasion, but even this wouldn't give me full protection from traps.

    I don't want to waste this +20 lesser heart; if anyone can give me some good tips on how to make this barbarian playable, or on some good builds to look into, that'd be awesome.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    310

    Default clarifications

    What do you mean "not waste the +20 LR". Do you want to use it to change now or is your preference to cap to 20 then TR to something?

    Second question (assuming you want to use the +20 LR now), is what race are you.

    The +20 LR does give you the chance to make anything you want, in particular because you are already pure barb you can effectively make an entire new toon. But, if you are already lvl 17, you may just want to cap to 20 (classes don't even matter might as well do it as a barb) and TR again. You can then do anything you want a Juggernought build, a Monkcher, a healer, a caster, rogue assassin, whatever. There are many good builds posted on the forums just make sure that whatever you are making is tweaked and tested for U19 by somebody else if you are not into "building" your own toons and following a template.

    Jugg is a really fun toon that works on pretty much any past life setup.

    The thing about DDO is you can pretty much make anything and there are many many flavors of builds that are very fun to play, even 1st,2nd,3rd life.
    RTFM on Khyber, Toy Soldiers.

    Toy Soldiers PD Roll Builds Guild on Wayfinder.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    What do you mean "not waste the +20 LR". Do you want to use it to change now or is your preference to cap to 20 then TR to something?

    Second question (assuming you want to use the +20 LR now), is what race are you.

    The +20 LR does give you the chance to make anything you want, in particular because you are already pure barb you can effectively make an entire new toon. But, if you are already lvl 17, you may just want to cap to 20 (classes don't even matter might as well do it as a barb) and TR again. You can then do anything you want a Juggernought build, a Monkcher, a healer, a caster, rogue assassin, whatever. There are many good builds posted on the forums just make sure that whatever you are making is tweaked and tested for U19 by somebody else if you are not into "building" your own toons and following a template.

    Jugg is a really fun toon that works on pretty much any past life setup.

    The thing about DDO is you can pretty much make anything and there are many many flavors of builds that are very fun to play, even 1st,2nd,3rd life.
    I will never TR again. I've figured out that I absolutely despise it. I want to use the +20 heart to change to a class that is easier to level, yet still maintains a similar play style and damage profile to a barbarian.

    My race is half-orc, and both past lives were melees, so I'm well set for a melee type class. What I'm looking for is tips and advice on how to either proceed to cap my barbarian, or an alternative class which will allow me to to get back to cap.

    My problem is my inability to solo quests effectively. It either takes me a long time, due to babysitting and micromanaging the hireling to avoid traps and mobs, or I'm unable to do it due to insufficient player skill. Traps destroy me, even with 700 hp and uncanny dodge, and those don't protect me any better versus mobs.

  4. #4
    Community Member kned225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    552

    Default

    I would suggest going kensai. Once u hit 20, cocoon becomes your best friend and u can leave the hire parked at the entrance and save him for the big fights
    Equipping any archmagi item will give u 200sps and u can always spend one of the fighters many feats on the magic-feat-thingy if u want EoP
    As for the traps, u can grunt it out to 20 or take a couple lvls of rogue levels to evade/disable. The rogue lvls would also allow u to do some umd healing/buffing on your way to cocoon

  5. #5
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Varashad View Post
    I will never TR again. I've figured out that I absolutely despise it. I want to use the +20 heart to change to a class that is easier to level, yet still maintains a similar play style and damage profile to a barbarian.

    My race is half-orc, and both past lives were melees, so I'm well set for a melee type class. What I'm looking for is tips and advice on how to either proceed to cap my barbarian, or an alternative class which will allow me to to get back to cap.

    My problem is my inability to solo quests effectively. It either takes me a long time, due to babysitting and micromanaging the hireling to avoid traps and mobs, or I'm unable to do it due to insufficient player skill. Traps destroy me, even with 700 hp and uncanny dodge, and those don't protect me any better versus mobs.
    Not everyone is cut out to play a barb. I felt limited in the beginning playing a barb, but after better planning, improved skill, knowledge, etc. I have a blast playing her and I don't solely depend on hires or anyone else. She is my best and favorite character, accomplishing many things that divine and arcane casters are able to "breeze" through.

    It seems you would be happier playing a more self sufficient class/build. Maybe a FVS, wiz, monk or whatever the new FOTM is.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Not everyone is cut out to play a barb. I felt limited in the beginning playing a barb, but after better planning, improved skill, knowledge, etc. I have a blast playing her and I don't solely depend on hires or anyone else. She is my best and favorite character, accomplishing many things that divine and arcane casters are able to "breeze" through.

    It seems you would be happier playing a more self sufficient class/build. Maybe a FVS, wiz, monk or whatever the new FOTM is.
    It's definitely possible. The new DDO is still beyond my full mastery, since I haven't had enough time to play and acquaint myself with the new game. I think my problem is more the TRing thing, grinding quests and just knowing that I still need to run it, and thirty other quests just to level up again.

    I would love to play a juggernaut. I wish they'd have just created a fancy heart of wood to let us change everything, race, class, etc. I love the juggernaut, I love my paladin, and I love my barbarian. I just hate grinding exp, and being semi-reliant on a group.

  7. #7
    Community Member bjones0064's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    97

    Talking

    I think this might help you a little. I like hirelings they're roughly 87% reliable depending on the one you get and that is a good percentage to rely on. It helps to use hires with Barbarians in what I call the, "Mullet Formation" Your business is in the front and your healers party is in the back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload