Community Member

Post Ranger solo play

Hi all, just returned after not playing for awhile and would like to know. How much content is now solo-able. When i played i managed to solo my Ranger mostley to lvl8. Sometime last year when i played someone gave me a lvling stone thingy which boosted me to lvl16. Its seem now that i cant solo any content that yields exp and as it seems so damned difficult to get in any groups in this game was hoping that their might be a way around it.

Note: I have 2 accounts, both premium (DDO account and LOTRO account till they got merged).

Any help would be greatly recieved.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rifles60 View Post
    Hi all, just returned after not playing for awhile and would like to know. How much content is now solo-able. When i played i managed to solo my Ranger mostley to lvl8. Sometime last year when i played someone gave me a lvling stone thingy which boosted me to lvl16. Its seem now that i cant solo any content that yields exp and as it seems so damned difficult to get in any groups in this game was hoping that their might be a way around it.

Note: I have 2 accounts, both premium (DDO account and LOTRO account till they got merged).

When you got stoned to 16 you received a bunch of gear which is far from good for a ranger. However, some of that gear can be augmented. So look for L16 augments on the AH which can be used to render some of that gear more serviceable. Furthermore, some of the new randomly generated loot is VERY good: gear with the Deadly prefix provides competence + damage and gear with Speed provides both Melee and Ranged attack speed for someone lacking better named items. You also would want +6 stat items which did not come with the Stone pack. I would suggest a) farming level 10-12 quests which should still yield some XP, and them moving up incrementally getting better gear as you go. You also will gain cash which you can spend on some upgrades.
    Also asking for advice in the Ranger forum on enhancements and providing your current stats, tomes, and preferred playstyle, would give you some tips that would help you out. Make sure to list what adventure packs and content you have access to

Community Member

Nice bit of info thanks.

Ive already got a few +6 items which i had to buy from the AH, i think the only adventure pack i have atm is Necropolis, i seem to recall getting some gear with the stone and upgrading a few items but untill i get in game a cant check. Will def try your advice though.

My main is a ranger and I tend to solo a lot. Aside from the good advice already given, regarding gear and doing lower-level content, remember this: Don't be ashamed to run quests on Casual. Forget about the Bravery Bonus. As a soloist, it gets harder and harder to maintain that BB streak as you level. And for a first-life character, there's plenty of XP out there without needing to worry about Bravery Bonus XP.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by rifles60 View Post

From experience, i can confirm that you can solo a ranger until lvl 25 without any problem, even on first life

But ranger is not the strongest class (DPS is low except on manyshot) and you can have trouble with selfhealing mobs
    Be also aware that there is a learning curve.
    You have first lvl 1-4 where you learns the basic of the game
    Then you have lvl 5-10 where you learn about big fights, or to deal with special monster abilities
    After that you have level 10-15 where you must learn to have the right tools to beat some monsters (right weapon to break DR, deathblock to avoid insta-death...)
    And around level 16-20, you start to have some serious opponent (not in all quests). Also, at this level, the difference between normal, hard and elite is huge

Jumping from lvl 8 to 16 is a bad move for a first life because
    1) you don't have the right gear for level 16 quest. But this is easily doable, either by going on AH or doing lower level quest for mats (and no or low xp)
    2) you don't have learned to use your char. In lvl 1-10 quests, whatever tactic you use should work. After that, you need to know your char : wich foe you must take early, wich spell will you use, wich buff will you need, wich weapon will you use...

Now a ranger tip : if you go melee with 2 weapons, having in the left hand a bodyfeeder or vampirism weapon may help a lot, as you gain some hp while doing moderate damage (and using right hand to do serious damage).

Good advice so far. Also:

As a soloing Ranger, you will want to think a bit like a Rogue. Go slow, use Sneak, make sure your "Draw Distance" settings (there are 2 or 3 to look for under Advanced Graphics) are set to Ultra High. Use that to target distant monsters and plunk ONE arrow in it. It will try to close the distance to you, and when it's far enough away from its friends, start riddling it with arrows. Switch to blades when it gets into melee range. If you've mistakenly awakened more than one, use Improved Precise Shot and Manyshot, targetting the farthest advancing monster, and try to get hits on as many of them as possible. If worse comes to worst, run away and let them all rubberband back to their spawnpoints, letting you try again. Yes, they will regain all their hitpoints, but you'll be alive and maybe a little better prepared for the next assault.

Next, as a Ranger I'm hoping that you wisely invested as many skill points as possible into UMD. The importance of UMD to a soloist can't be understated. Go to EVERY vendor there is, like the ones in Object Desire in House Phiarlan, and pick up any and all scrolls that you have 50% or better chance to cast. Things like Flesh to Stone, Mass Hold, Solid Fog, Tenser's Transformation, Displacement, (greater)Heroism, and many many more can make an ENORMOUS difference against certain tougher encounters. Yes, you'll fail to cast some of them some of the time. Yes, they're a costly consumable. Yes, they take up precious inventory space, and No, they won't work on every monster. You'll just have to experiment, learn what's what, and adjust your playstyle to cope. And if used well they can be the difference between a gimp and a hero (this is true in Groups as well. Nothing is more impressive than when the underestimated Ranger suddenly starts party healing, Stoning mobs, and offering a greater teleport after he saves the day!) Also there are wands. Don't ignore them either.

Finally, while self healing is nice, don't be too proud to invest in Hirelings. They are stupid, they can draw too much aggro your way, they like to get themselves killed. But a carefully managed hire can also save your quest. He can resurrect you, heal you, and if you're lucky, you can make him pick up your soulstone and run to a Shrine. Check out THIS THREAD starting at post #4. Hirelings can be MUCH more than just a dumb healer.

Good Luck.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Just something to think about:

Being a Ranger you get all of the ranged, and TWF feats for free and can ignore the dex requirement. What this means is on both a ranged build, or a TWF build you can start out with only 14ish dex, and max your str, and put all or most of your lvl ups into str for better DPS and you won't loose anything from this.

Also, it's worth noting that Ranger as a spellcasting class can take metamagics.
    With CLW, CMW. and CSW you can get some seriously good self heals once you get a bit of heal amp, get a meta or 2, and get some positive spellpower. Empower heal and quicken would be the meta's you would want to go for, and it's be a good idea to take them later in your build since they're not needed before that.

Despite what some people will say, Rangers are the most versatile class in the entire game, and can accomplish almost anything you want, within reason of course. The key is finding exactly what you want, how you want to play, and how to bring that out. What I mean by this is that 11/12/14 Ranger is such an amazing base class for almost any build because of all the free feats + a really large number of skill points. So after those levels it's worth thinking about multiclassing if you feel the need for more variation in your build. With a splash of 1 rogue/Arti Ranger has more than enough skill points to max out all trapping skills and UMD(if you take that rogue/Arti level first) just to name the simplest option.

Also, as a Ranger, since you do get both Ranged and TWF feats for free, remember to use both actively. Manyshot is the strongest burst damage ability in the entire game, use it! Do not be afraid to pick up a bow, or put it down. This being the case it's a good idea to pick up both the Power Attack feat, and the Precision feat. And if you're picking up the PA feat you may as well go ahead and grab Cleave and Great Cleave as well. This will give you some great AOE damage to make meleeing many mobs easier.

And remember to move! it's a great idea to constantly get into the habit of circling mobs while you melee/Ranged them. Don't kite in large lines, but rather in small tight circles that keep you out of the reach of not all, but most of the mobs you're fighting. This makes you take less damage, but it also instills the habit so that when you do group melee can pick mopbs off of you easier and people won't get upset about you kiting mobs.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

Your big problem is that XP stone - I had the same issue on my first life, I got stoned to 16. The learning curve turned into a learning wall, and I ran headfirst into it.

Rangers are perhaps the most soloable pure class. You should not worry at all about your class build being insufficient to solo content at any level. You just have to learn how to play it.

-Playstyle: are you STR based? Two-weapon Tempest melee, or a bow-wielding AA/DWS? You'll want to focus on one.
    -Enhancements: you can reset these, so its a little easier to play around with. Choose ones that fit the playstyle above, obviously.
    -Feats: You get almost all your important ones autogranted, so pick up Empower Heal for one, Power Attack if you're melee/Precision and Point Blank Shot if you're ranged, and the others are more flexible.
    -Gear: probably what's hurting you most. You'll want decent Light armor (so you can Evade), and a good bow/two good Scimitars. Fortunately, lootgen just got a huge boost, so you should be able to find something good on the Auction House until you can earn something better in-game. Also look for gear with these properties: Deadly (boosts your damage), Dodge (helps you avoid attacks) and special items with properties like Blurry and Ghostly, Devotion and Healing Lore (boosts your self-heals), Speed (boosts your movement speed and attack rate), Flurry (boosts your DPS), and Fortification (helps you avoid getting critted). One item with a Resistance bonus will give you a nice blanket boost to your Saves.

Anything with +HP helps, too, as does your important stats (probably STR and CON, for you, with DEX after that. You'll need 14 WIS, after bonuses, to cast your spells, but that's easy enough). Remember, like-typed bonuses DONT stack, only the highest of each type applies.

-Spellbook: Cure Wounds is a must, obviously. Ram's Might should be up at all times, as should Freedom of Movement when you can slot it. Resist Energy is also hugely useful whenever you're facing elemental damage (ie traps).

Endgame: you'll want to get to 20 and then probably TR it, for the added stat benefits, and also so you can play back through the game you skipped Its a lot easier and more fun the second time through, when you're already familiar with it all, and it'll help you refine what you still need to know.

Community Member

Thanks guys you have all given me alot to think about. Already started runing low lvls dungeons on hard and elite (6-8) and and getting through alot of 9-12s aswell.