Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Ok I am subbed now a VIP for 3 months!

Now I am trying to find out which version of the expansion to buy?

The collectors is 49.99$ from the website.

However the complete version is like 4490 in game cash?
    Does the complete version have the extra character slots as well as the 2000 extra turbine points?

Also on the website they have the legendary upgrade for another 49.99$ is it worth it ?
    Cause if I get the expansion either way its around 50$ USD plus the 29.99$ muti month sub so don't know if I could afford to pay for the legendary upgrade of the expansion another 49.99$ USD?

I mean I can if you all tell me the level 17 hireing as well as the rest is a must to get with the legendary pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Glithanes View Post
    Another question all please,

I just subbed for the 3 month deal, will I get all 1500 turbine points at the same time, or just 500 turbine points each month after this?
    Once a month on day of sub.

Others have answered the Iconoc and such questions. As far as servers go Tkelanis, Khyber, and Argo are highest by far. Being a lil bias Thelanis does seem to have a decent European contingent can't speak for other servers though. There is no real numbers out there to say which is true. I think choosing any of the three would be fine.
    Proud Officer of The Madborn

Ok I am subbed now a VIP for 3 months!

Now I am trying to find out which version of the expansion to buy?

The collectors is 49.99$ from the website.

However the complete version is like 4490 in game cash?
    Does the complete version have the extra character slots as well as the 2000 extra turbine points?

Also on the website they have the legendary upgrade for another 49.99$ is it worth it ?
    Cause if I get the expansion either way its around 50$ USD plus the 29.99$ muti month sub so don't know if I could afford to pay for the legendary upgrade of the expansion another 49.99$ USD?

I mean I can if you all tell me the level 17 hireing as well as the rest is a must to get with the legendary pack?
    The pre-order stuff should no longer be available. Turbine has messed such stuff up more than once. But the pre-order bonuses were supposed to expire when U19 went live a couple of weeks ago.

To be honest, If I were you, I would defer buying the expansion today if you are going to start with low level toons, the expansion will have absolutely no effect on you. Assuming you like the game and continue to play it, you can look to buy the expansion whenever it goes on sale. Occassionally DDO store items go on sale, and occasionally we get a 15%/20%/25% off coupon percent depends on how much you buy at one time.

If you are going to start with level 15 iconics, its a different story. But I'd suggest you play for a month or two before you decide to make a longer term investment. DDO is a great game, but its not pen and paper D&D and it's not right for everyone.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    The pre-order stuff should no longer be available. Turbine has messed such stuff up more than once. But the pre-order bonuses were supposed to expire when U19 went live a couple of weeks ago.

To be honest, If I were you, I would defer buying the expansion today if you are going to start with low level toons, the expansion will have absolutely no effect on you. Assuming you like the game and continue to play it, you can look to buy the expansion whenever it goes on sale. Occassionally DDO store items go on sale, and occasionally we get a 15%/20%/25% off coupon percent depends on how much you buy at one time.

If you are going to start with level 15 iconics, its a different story. But I'd suggest you play for a month or two before you decide to make a longer term investment. DDO is a great game, but its not pen and paper D&D and it's not right for everyone.

I am going to create and play a few level 1 character and level them up the old way, so can learn the basics of the game.
    However I did buy the shadowfell expansion just now for 49.99$ on the website and it says I get all the bonuses the extra character slots, 2000
    turbine points etc. Cause I got and email with my recipt that said that as well; as it said that on my account screen when I upgraded ok?

My question is the Legtendary pack upgrade which is like another 49.99$ a must have long term?
    I realize I wont see any of the last 2 expansions for a while since I am rolling level 1 characters to learn the game.

I just want to know if the legendary pack is must have for that free hirling with it etc?

I am going to create and play a few level 1 character and level them up the old way, so can learn the basics of the game.
    However I did buy the shadowfell expansion just now for 49.99$ on the website and it says I get all the bonuses the extra character slots, 2000
    turbine points etc. Cause I got and email with my recipt that said that as well; as it said that on my account screen when I upgraded ok?

My question is the Legtendary pack upgrade which is like another 49.99$ a must have long term?
    I realize I wont see any of the last 2 expansions for a while since I am rolling level 1 characters to learn the game.

I just want to know if the legendary pack is must have for that free hirling with it etc?
    interesting.

The legendary pack is not a requirement. If you solo a lot the hireling is useful, but not necessary. If you run mostly in groups, you probably won't use the hireling much at all. The other legendary effects are more interesting to me than the hires. If you end up running a lot of toons, the skill tomes and epic tomes of learning are very nice to have and the legendary pack is by far the cheapest way to get it. If you really only run 1 or 2 toons at epic levels, its cheaper to just buy what you need as you need it.

Community Member

interesting.

The legendary pack is not a requirement. If you solo a lot the hireling is useful, but not necessary. If you run mostly in groups, you probably won't use the hireling much at all. The other legendary effects are more interesting to me than the hires. If you end up running a lot of toons, the skill tomes and epic tomes of learning are very nice to have and the legendary pack is by far the cheapest way to get it. If you really only run 1 or 2 toons at epic levels, its cheaper to just buy what you need as you need it.
    I really, Really appreciate all you help and feedback, I don't want to be pain with all my questions.

Next question, I am not going to mess with anything advanced Iconic characters etc even Veteran characters that start at level 4, til I have played for couple weekes or 1 month etc.
    However I read and saw there are 32 point build characters you can create.
    Again I am only asking if long term , if most everyone that plays do they prefer to have the 32 point builds characters for high and epic levels end game etc?
    Basically if you create a character and want to long term get it to end game stuff, ido you need to pretty much making sure those characters all are 32 point builds?

Again really, really sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for all the help!

I really, Really appreciate all you help and feedback, I don't want to be pain with all my questions.

Next question, I am not going to mess with anything advanced Iconic characters etc even Veteran characters that start at level 4, til I have played for couple weekes or 1 month etc.
    However I read and saw there are 32 point build characters you can create.
    Again I am only asking if long term , if most everyone that plays do they prefer to have the 32 point builds characters for high and epic levels end game etc?
    Basically if you create a character and want to long term get it to end game stuff, ido you need to pretty much making sure those characters all are 32 point builds?

Again really, really sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for all the help!
    Don't worry about the questions, that's what this forum is here for.

32 pt characters help, especially for some builds, but they are not necessary. A couple of more points doesn't really make all that much difference in the toon. If you play a toon and level it to 20, its pretty easy to get the 1750 favor it takes to get 32 point builds for free for all future toons.

Also, if you TR a toon (take it to 20 then start it over at level 1) that toon will become a 34 pt build, whether you were a 28 or 32 pt build.

Once you are sure you are going to play a lot, then you will want to get Epic Destinies. They make much more difference in end game than a couple of extra build points. Again, that's fairly far down the road, you have to have a level 20 toon before they can start earning experience for their epic destinies. So Make sure you are here to stay before you buy epic destines.

You can buy 32 point build in the store, but its fairly easy to get for free, so I'd recommend that you play a few toons at low levels, then choose one you especially enjoy and start leveling it to 20. You need 1750 favor for free 32 point characters (all future new characters will start with 32 build points). You also get a free +2 stat tome of your choice for getting to 1750 favor, so you will want to do that on your first toon at the very least.

EDIT: You will want to become familiar with the ddo wiki: http://ddowiki.com iti is a very helpful resource and will help you with a lot of questions as you get started.
    Last edited by TPICKRELL; 08-29-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Community Member

Another really important question is since I paid for the expansion collectors version, How do I claim some the items from the expansion pre order and order etc?

I see the packs in game, But I am afraid to click on them to unpack it, cause some the items I don't want on my 1st character and 2nd and 3rd some the items I only get a couple copies of like the stat times etc?

Do you understand what I mean and what I am worried about ?

Another really important question is since I paid for the expansion collectors version, How do I claim some the items from the expansion pre order and order etc?

I see the packs in game, But I am afraid to click on them to unpack it, cause some the items I don't want on my 1st character and 2nd and 3rd some the items I only get a couple copies of like the stat times etc?

Do you understand what I mean and what I am worried about ?
    Yes you are right to be concerned. All of the items listed as 1 per server will go to the first toon who opens that kind of supply crate on each server. You have a couple of choices.

1: Don't open any of them for now, and do without the goodies. They don't make that much difference at low level.

2: Choose a toon who will be your main in the future, and make him a class that you are sure you will be willing to live with until you get to level 20. If you like arcane casters, maybe go with sorc, they are very easy to level. If you like healers go with a a cleric. If you like melee, go with either an assasin rogue or a fighter. Take the first crates on this toon, and just be prepared at some point to level it to 20, and TR (True Reincarnate) it into whatever you want it to be. It will get a small bonus (called a past life) based on the class you leveled before the TR and a couple of extra build points for the next life.

I'd recommend starting with #1, play a few lowbie toons of different types and then move to #2 when you have a feel for what classes appeal to you the most. You don't need to pick the right class for #2, just a class you are willing to live with while you level to 20. You can then TR and pick the "right" class for your main toon's second life. He will keep all of his items, tomes consumed including the extra items from the crate... when he TR's and starts his second life.

Community Member

28 vs 32 point builds. as mentioned you dont need 32 point builds, but they can be a nice perk. think of it this way, if your class only needs 2 stats up high then a 28 point build will let you do just that. another point is if you need some stats at a minimum for a feat, eg 13 int for combat expertise on a melee, then 32 point builds can help.

with this in mind you can just learn the game on a class that only needs 2 stats and have a perfectly viable end game character. eg my 28 point barbarian is happily running about epics just as much as my 32 point paladin.

oh, quick note on the expansion, if you had got it from the DDO store you would have got your iconics and the quests, but no box with tomes or extra character slots.

your plan to play from lvl1 is a good one, there is a lot to learn in this game even if you know PnP well. like any DnD campaign it has it's own power setting and house rules, those take time to get used to as well as the controls. you're main benefit will be finding it easier to come to understand the rules reducing the learning curve somewhat.

have some fun messing about with builds, but also read up on other builds to see how the vets make it all tick. i have a mix of my own creations and other peoples creations. when looking at a power gamers build and seeing the crazy stats they get bare in mind that the build will work just fine without the maxed out stats. the only thing you need to check for in minimum requirements for feats. so a +5 STR tome on a melee probably isnt needed, just something to cross your fingers for. however if they have improved TWF but only start with 15 DEX then they will need a +2 DEX tome before they can take improved TWF. as a PnP player and with the ddowiki by your side you should be able to spot all these actual requirements allowing you to translate the build to something you can create with your resources. then you can tweak a power gamers build to add some flavour in and chances are it will come out just fine. sure the optimal build might be better for epic elites, but you can play this game for years without having to play epic elites, making flavour builds perfectly viable.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

You can use the DDOracle to gauge what server is best for you, population wise.

http://www.ddoracle.com/Traffic.html

This is based on logins, so it dosent really tell you how the players behave. It would also help you if you tend to play during a non-standard (US) time. For example, you can see that Orien and Ghallanda tend to be the most populated when its the middle of the night in the states.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Community Member

interesting.

This wil be a long ways off as far as using it, But on the Legendary pack if I buy it now, so can use some the stuff in a few months.

My question on the legendary pack the Hireling with the pack says its level 17-24 so I assume it starts at level 17 and is the hireling just 1 per account or per character or per server?

Also with the hireling if its per character, and you try to use him for new characters would he scale down? Delevel? to the same level you are etc?
    Basically I am asking this so I know for in few months when have gotten the hang of the basics of the game.

But if the hireling is per character aviable and even on much lower characters, unless he scales down like crazy, it seems to me that would be tad overpowered..

I am hoping to be to finally play by Saturday night.

Answers in red:

This wil be a long ways off as far as using it, But on the Legendary pack if I buy it now, so can use some the stuff in a few months.

My question on the legendary pack the Hireling with the pack says its level 17-24 so I assume it starts at level 17 and is the hireling just 1 per account or per character or per server?

It is not 17-24. It says 17/24. This means you get two hirelings; 1 a level 17, the other level 24 (hirelings are objects in your inventory that you can activate to summon the hireling in any quest) These objects do not go away no matter your level, how many times you use them, how many characters you have etc. Each character gets them.

Also with the hireling if its per character, and you try to use him for new characters would he scale down? Delevel? to the same level you are etc?

There is no scaling or deleveling of hirelings. You must be the minimum level. (at least 17 or at least 24) to summon the respective creature. There are other hirelings available at every game level you can purchase for in game currency or DDO points that once activated will expire after 1 hour in a quest instance. This timer stops when in public areas.

Basically I am asking this so I know for in few months when have gotten the hang of the basics of the game.

But if the hireling is per character aviable and even on much lower characters, unless he scales down like crazy, it seems to me that would be tad overpowered..

As mentionned above, it is not overpowered because you will not be able to summon the hireling until you meet the minimum level requirement.

I am hoping to be to finally play by Saturday night.
    Persius, Equus, Maeric, Khaaldun, Robotcoupe
    The Exploration Society ~ Thelanis

Community Member

Thanks for all the replies and kindness helping me.

I will be able to finally play in 2 hours or so.

thanks all!

Cool Welcome to Orien!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    You can use the DDOracle to gauge what server is best for you, population wise.

http://www.ddoracle.com/Traffic.html

This is based on logins, so it dosent really tell you how the players behave. It would also help you if you tend to play during a non-standard (US) time. For example, you can see that Orien and Ghallanda tend to be the most populated when its the middle of the night in the states.
    Hehe yes Orien peeps are up very late. (Plenty are from US (yes other peoples too from other side of world) and just too addicted to go to sleep!) XD

We may not be the most populated server, but you should still come to Orien!!!!!!!!!
    Correction.... YOU WILL COME TO ORIEN OR I WILL HITS YOU WHERE IT HURTS WITH MY LITTLE HALFLING SWORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Somewhat Friendly Neighborhood Halfling
    Orien: ~Erofen (28 Assassin Rogue) ~Erostorage (16 PM Wizard) ~Erofenmonk (28 Light Monk) ~Erofentrap (24 Roguerficer (1st TR/Legend Build ever)) ~Erofenbarb (28 Barb) ~Erofenbless (28 FvS Chest Blesser) ~Erofenthree (28 Cleric Dualbox) ~Erofenten (20 Barb Triplebox)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'? Kex! Stop It! O.o

Community Member

Ok I am about to start creating my 1st character and maybe 2nd.

Silly question in DDO are the rules same as DND pen and paper on races class level limits etc?

I know certain races get racial bonuses just like pen and paper DND however in regular dnd depending on your race as well as class the different combos have different max level limits?

This is what I cant recall, cause depending on what class I choose for the 1st and 2nd character I am about to create then I need to make sure that the race can get to 2nd game levels etc understand my question?

I am not going to make a muti class character for my 1st character or even 2nd character, I wont do Iconic or muti class for many months not to mention a recarnite character lol I read the recarnite info on this DDO website and the checklist with what stays and what gets burned amost made my head explode!

Community Member

Silly question in DDO are the rules same as DND pen and paper on races class level limits etc?

I know certain races get racial bonuses just like pen and paper DND however in regular dnd depending on your race as well as class the different combos have different max level limits?
    All classes and races are equal. There are no level adjustments to certain classes or races, and there's no leveling penalty for multiclassing.

Community Member

Another question all please,

I keep hearing about the palemaster class is that some type of mage?

Community Member

Hey all,

Harder then trying to decide what race and class to focus on 1st to learn the game is trying to pick at good roleplaying name for my characters 1st and sur names.

I mean I have tons of 1st name and sur names of characters I have played since pen and paper DnD as well as other MMO's and before that muds.

Update all Lol every dam roleplay 1st name I have ever used is already taken being used have checked muti servers etc.

Anyone have any advice around me being to get a decent name for my class,race combos that is not taken, Good God I have spent hours tonight trying to get 1st names lol.

Community Member

Hey all,

Another question is how does crafting work in this game?
    Is crafting expensive how many professions are there total and how many can you learn per character?

thanks all!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast