Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default [Build Request] 28 point Thrown Weapon Build

So I'm favor farming on other servers then my main, and I decided I wanted to try a throwing build since I heard its viable (or at least more viable) then it was before. I always thought the returning weapons were cool. So I thought that I could try one out since I usually use favor farming as a excuse to try out different classes and options to see what I like. So can anyone provide a throwing weapon build, or a link to one? It would be much appreciated.

I don't have access to any p2p classes and races so plz keep that in mind. (Although if it really really really needs a certain race/class to be viable I will consider)

Thank you for your help ^_^.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Just so you know, there's no special achievement for "highest number of concurrent alts threads." Believe me, I've tried!

Since you don't have monk, that means no shuriken / 10K Stars builds, which would've been my first choice. Hmmm...well, I'd definitely go halfling to grab Master Thrower (+1 crit range); it also lets you use DEX for dmg, making this build less MAD. The desired feats are almost the same as any archer or repeater build: i.e., Quick Draw, Precision, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Imp Prec Shot, Imp Crit Thrown, Combat Archery.

As for classes, my first impulse is rog / rgr: some combo of DWS and Assassin. [Can anyone confirm if DWS ranged abilities work w/thrown weapons as well?] Grabbing some TWF as a backup wouldn't hurt, either. And if I can spare the feat & APs, I'd add halfling DM.

So let's take a stab at this idea:
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 25 True Neutral Halfling Female
    (13 Rogue \ 6 Ranger \ 1 Bard \ 5 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 252
    Spell Points: 100 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 12
    Reflex: 23
    Will: 8

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 25)
    Strength              8                     8
    Dexterity            20                    25
    Constitution         14                    14
    Intelligence         12                    12
    Wisdom                8                     8
    Charisma              8                     8

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Least Dragonmark of Healing

Level 2 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 3 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Quick Draw

Level 4 (Rogue)
    Ability Raise: DEX

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 7 (Rogue)

Level 8 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant

Level 9 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Thrown Weapons

Level 10 (Rogue)

Level 11 (Rogue)

Level 12 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Precision

Level 13 (Rogue)

Level 14 (Rogue)

Level 15 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Precise Shot

Level 16 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion

Level 17 (Rogue)

Level 18 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 19 (Rogue)

Level 20 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Opportunist

Level 21 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 22 (Rogue)

Level 23 (Rogue)

Level 24 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Combat Archery

Level 25 (Rogue)
    I'm sure the bard splash looks weird; that's just to gain access to Emp Heal, although it also provides some basic song buffing. You could even max out Perform skill for a few uses of Fascinate.

Enhancements: to start, I would spend 18-20 APs in the halfling tree; that should be enough to max out the throwing, sneak atk, and DM lines, if I'm adding right. From DWS, I would definitely max out Imp Wild Empathy (+75 Positive spellpower) to start; I would probably go to T4 to pick up at least Killer, maybe Hunter's Mercy + Leg Shot as well (25 APs). T5 DWS offers Heavy Draw, Headshot, and Imp AF, all of which seem useful to a thrower build. Whatever pts remain, I'd spread between Assassin and Tempest to boost your sneak atks & melee DPS, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Just so you know, there's no special achievement for "highest number of concurrent alts threads." Believe me, I've tried!
    Darn my plans have been unfoiled! Abandon thread! jk ^_^.

I spend the majority of my time on my main characters (now my air savant sorcerer love it, and my int rogue (love it too XD), (my arcane archer felt disappointing tho with the short 20 second part where I feel awesome then feeling useless beside paralyzing arrows till cooldown ends).

Anyway i'm favor farming for the quick ddo points since I can reach 100 favor pretty quickly in a day. My motivations ^_^. Also I tried sorc and rogue on different servers favor farming, and that's how I discovered how cool they are.

I could squeeze In monk since if I favor farm a bit more I can probably afford it (coupled with a 600 ddo point purchase). IS monk really that much better?

and once again (sorry for my lack of edit abilities, still frustrates me how it doesn't work). Thank you Ubong ^_^! I greatly appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris-Niatellim View Post
    (my arcane archer felt disappointing tho with the short 20 second part where I feel awesome then feeling useless beside paralyzing arrows till cooldown ends)
    Welcome to the Sad Reality of Playing a DDO Archer. The really sad part? Playing a pure rgr archer is actually better now that it was pre-U19, thanks to all the new goodies in the AA & DWS trees. It probably gets better once you're high enough level that you can pick up enough AA & DWS special atks that you can cycle thru your clickies while waiting for Manyshot to recharge.
    IS monk really that much better?
    Monks make everything better!

Except for bards and barbs. Stupid alignment restrictions!

There are a number of things about monks (mostly Ninja) which make a shuriken-based build more interesting:
    • Ninja Training: use DEX modifier to dmg w/slashing & piercing weapons; also gain % chance of throwing extra shuriken based on DEX mod. [Not sure if this stacks w/Shuriken Expertise.]
    • Sting of the Ninja: applies Ninja Poison on every hit w/shuriken. [Think you have to use one of the ToD melee finishers for Ninja Poison to actually do anything, though.]
    • Ninja Master: +2 crit range to shuriken.
    • 10K Stars: now a chosen feat (used to be an Enhancement ability), "Activate this ability to enter a trance for 30 seconds (or until you become uncentered) that gives you a chance to throw multiple shuriken at a time. Wisdom increases your chance for additional projectiles and increases the potential number of additional projectiles. This ability will work with bows if you have the Zen Archery feat, but Manyshot and this ability cannot be used at the same time." [Incidentally, the last bit is why "monkchers" w/10K Stars + Manyshot are considered the best choice for sustained ranged DPS.]

Now I'm trying to figure out if it's best to go pure monk for the capstone; or maybe monk / rgr for DWS as w/rog build I posted.

Community Member

And if I can spare the feat & APs, I'd add halfling DM.
    They are very very good now, especially on ranger splashes that take Empower Healing. Break Out the Leeches is outstanding for situations with heavy poison/disease/neg levels as well.

I could have sworn I'd seen a request earlier to confirm abilities working with throwing. Just in case, here's the abilities that I've checked with a thrown weapon today. All the listed weapons worked as expected:
    AA Inferno Shot
    DWS Sniper Shot
    Shiradi Pin
    AA Arrow of Slaying (got a 2.5k crit with store-bought shurikens on the dummy when I popped Adrenaline Overload + Arrow of Slaying so it was definitely working)

As for monk being that much better it really is. Ten Thousand Stars gives you another period of time that on a high wisdom character can at least help bridge the gap between single shots and Manyshot. You'll have very few periods of unboosted shots as compared to a ranged toon with only Manyshot.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    They are very very good now, especially on ranger splashes that take Empower Healing. Break Out the Leeches is outstanding for situations with heavy poison/disease/neg levels as well.
    Rgr 6 isn't enough for Emp Heal, so I splashed bard above. In hindsight, I could've done something like rgr 12 / rog 8 instead, but...I dunno, feels weird to take that many rgr lvls for a thrower build, of all things. Then again, I said the same thing when I first saw the Juggernaut ("16 arty lvls for Deadly Weapons + Reconstruct + Manyshot? Is this guy crazy?!"), so what do I know?

Community Member

Now I'm trying to figure out if it's best to go pure monk for the capstone; or maybe monk / rgr for DWS as w/rog build I posted.
    With the AA special strikes working you could actually make an argument for going T5 in AA. Like I mentioned in my post, I was able to take a store-bought shuriken stack (20), hit Adrenaline Overload followed by Arrow of Slaying, and hit the dummy for over 2k on an unbuffed level 21 monkcher in water stance. The only thing I can see that would *not* work from AA is the various XXXX Arrow stances but you could go 30 points in the tree without taking those: AA tree (1ap), Energy of the Wild 1/3 (1ap), True Strike 3/3 (6ap), Inferno Shot 3/3 (6ap), Dispelling Shot 3/3 (6ap), Shattermantle Shot 3/3 (6ap), Terror Arrows 1/3 (pre-req for Arrow of Slaying 2ap), Paralyzing Arrows 1/3 (pre-req for Arrow of Slaying 2ap), Arrow of Slaying (2ap) = 32ap total (minimum for Arrow of Slaying). I'm thinking casters would love you for that Shattermantle Shot to help CC some of the EE drow. Even if there are no casters around both are 3 second cooldown shots that cost minimal sp's and do 3[w] damage. Assuming you can get a thrower with decent base damage those extra shots could make the tree as a whole worthwhile. I'd say for Arrow of Slaying to be worth 32ap though that you'd have to make heavy use of Inferno, Dispelling, and Shattermantle shots.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Community Member

Rgr 6 isn't enough for Emp Heal, so I splashed bard above. In hindsight, I could've done something like rgr 12 / rog 8 instead, but...I dunno, feels weird to take that many rgr lvls for a thrower build, of all things. Then again, I said the same thing when I first saw the Juggernaut ("16 arty lvls for Deadly Weapons + Reconstruct + Manyshot? Is this guy crazy?!"), so what do I know?
    Right, I just meant that the halfling dmarks are outstanding on any toon that mixes at least 1 ranger level with some way to pick up Empower Healing. 150 devotion out of the gate is phenomenal. My son had new life breathed into his 28-point halfling ranger by the enh pass thanks to that and some of the other changes to Tempest.

I have posted my pure monk Shuriken Build with some insane attack speed here if you are interested:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...di-Shuricannon

It is a 3rd life build though but can be converted i guess.

I tested it at lvl 28 on Lamannia already and it's a blast. My character on the life server is at lvl 11 now and is quite fun to play.
    It also contains some suggestions for Shuriken and the choice of beneficial offhand weapons. A great shuriken to start with on a server is the Shadowstar from the end reward list of the Shan-to-Kor series in the marketplace.

And to clarify: YES Ninja Training II stacks with Shuriken Expertise (as it should since feats and enhancements should stack!)
    Last edited by Firewall; 08-30-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    Shuricannon 2.0 Drow 20 Monk Thrower for DPS, Nethercannon Shadar-Kai 15 Pal/3 Monk/2 Rog Thrower for Past Lifes
    Shiradi Shuricannon Drow 20 Monk Thrower for Defense, Shiradi Warcannon Warforged 11 Wiz/6 Monk/3 Rog Thrower...Throwers for the win

Ubong tried the build a bit, thanks btw, early game I felt painfully weak, so i'm guessing it won't shine till I get some feats and enhances. Am I right?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    I'd say for Arrow of Slaying to be worth 32ap though that you'd have to make heavy use of Inferno, Dispelling, and Shattermantle shots.
    I agree you need to make heavy use of them to validate the investment but you will not have the mana to use them for long if doing so without the aid of Soul Magic and Moonbow since you need mana for a) Cures and/or Rejuv Cocoon and b) buffing which also includes reimbuing your imbues if you have any due to them being bugged.
    I ran a build with Slaying, Dispelling, Shatter and Inferno with both Soul Magic and Moonbow and still was shocked at how much mana I was spending. Again I stress, taking Inferno, Dispel, Shatter and Slaying and using them religiously is a mana expenditure on average of 110 mana every 20 seconds.
    Better to go with Slaying and 2 of the three of Dispel/Shatter/Inferno and pick up Soul Magic for 4 AP and spend 11 points in DWS for Sniper Shot.
    This would leave you with 2 3sec CD shots and 1 6sec CD shot and the 20sec CD Kaboom.
    So 32 pts spent in AA would look like:
    (1AP) AA Core T1
    (2AP) Conjure Arrows
    (3AP) Energy of the Wild x3
    (12AP) 2 of Dispel/Inferno/Shatter both X3
    (1AP) Soul Magic
    (1AP) Terror Arrows
    (4AP) +1 DEX or WIS X2
    (1AP) Paralysing Arrows
    This would leave you 5AP to spend on True Strike, Awareness or Action Boost assuming you are doing a Shuriken build.
    As for the DWS tree, there are a variety of means to spend the 10 points (which also synergize with Ninja) in order to get 11 points required for the Sniper Shot which also leaves open spending another 2AP for +1WIS/DEX.

Community Member

Sorry unable to edit posts. Take the 2 AP for Conjure arrows and spend with the other 5.

Ubong tried the build a bit, thanks btw, early game I felt painfully weak, so i'm guessing it won't shine till I get some feats and enhances. Am I right?
    Truth be told, I'm not sure if the build I posted will ever not feel weak, at least compared to what a TWF or good archer can put out. But it definitely won't start to shine until you have at least Skillful Thrower (DEX to dmg) and Master Thrower (assuming it's fixed); that won't be until lvl 4. And its DPS will be sneak-atk-dependent; which means soloing it would be challenging.

Truth be told, I'm not sure if the build I posted will ever not feel weak, at least compared to what a TWF or good archer can put out. But it definitely won't start to shine until you have at least Skillful Thrower (DEX to dmg) and Master Thrower (assuming it's fixed); that won't be until lvl 4. And its DPS will be sneak-atk-dependent; which means soloing it would be challenging.
    Hm, level 4 isint that bad I feared it would take a lot longer, guess I'll probably use the hardest hitting weapon I can until I can get my hands on a decent throwing weapon at lvl 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild View Post
    I agree you need to make heavy use of them to validate the investment but you will not have the mana to use them for long if doing so without the aid of Soul Magic and Moonbow since you need mana for a) Cures and/or Rejuv Cocoon and b) buffing which also includes reimbuing your imbues if you have any due to them being bugged.
    I ran a build with Slaying, Dispelling, Shatter and Inferno with both Soul Magic and Moonbow and still was shocked at how much mana I was spending. Again I stress, taking Inferno, Dispel, Shatter and Slaying and using them religiously is a mana expenditure on average of 110 mana every 20 seconds.
    Better to go with Slaying and 2 of the three of Dispel/Shatter/Inferno and pick up Soul Magic for 4 AP and spend 11 points in DWS for Sniper Shot.
    This would leave you with 2 3sec CD shots and 1 6sec CD shot and the 20sec CD Kaboom.
    So 32 pts spent in AA would look like:
    (1AP) AA Core T1
    (2AP) Conjure Arrows
    (3AP) Energy of the Wild x3
    (12AP) 2 of Dispel/Inferno/Shatter both X3
    (1AP) Soul Magic
    (1AP) Terror Arrows
    (4AP) +1 DEX or WIS X2
    (1AP) Paralysing Arrows
    This would leave you 5AP to spend on True Strike, Awareness or Action Boost assuming you are doing a Shuriken build.
    As for the DWS tree, there are a variety of means to spend the 10 points (which also synergize with Ninja) in order to get 11 points required for the Sniper Shot which also leaves open spending another 2AP for +1WIS/DEX.
    btw I cant tell if this Is the recommended enhancements for a pure ranger or for the thrower build.

Community Member

btw I cant tell if this Is the recommended enhancements for a pure ranger or for the thrower build.
    It was in reference to the thrower build. I mentioned after conjure arrows are a waste.
    Reviewing what I said, I would make the following corrections:
    1AP AA Core T1
    3AP Energy of the Wild x3
    3AP Awareness x3
    6AP Dispelling Shot x3
    6AP Inferno or Shatter shot x3 (shatter would be better imo)
    1AP Soul Magic
    2AP Terror Arrows x1
    4AP +2 STAT (Dex/WIS)
    2AP Paralysing Arrows x1
    2AP True Strike x2
    2AP Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild View Post
    It was in reference to the thrower build. I mentioned after conjure arrows are a waste.
    Reviewing what I said, I would make the following corrections:
    1AP AA Core T1
    3AP Energy of the Wild x3
    3AP Awareness x3
    6AP Dispelling Shot x3
    6AP Inferno or Shatter shot x3 (shatter would be better imo)
    1AP Soul Magic
    2AP Terror Arrows x1
    4AP +2 STAT (Dex/WIS)
    2AP Paralysing Arrows x1
    2AP True Strike x2
    2AP Slayer
    The arrow imbuements work on throwing weapons as well?

Community Member

The arrow imbuements work on throwing weapons as well?
    The single tier of Terror and Paralyse Arrows are prereqs for Slayer Arrows. Let me stress that I am not advising this as being part of a throwing build. I do have any experience with them. But I have experienced the spellpoint consumption of using AA special shots which is why I replied to Darkrok's post with that caveat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast