Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Huh? Cheat? Exploit?

I thought this was a compensation for the loot that I didn't get when the epic chest in Partycrashers couldn't be accessed a while ago.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
    Poppycock. Taking an end reward from a game has zero impact on real life. To even make the connection between the two is seriously strange. I have killed many a human in DDO...and never once killed one in real life. Thats my story....and I'm sticking to it. rofl. What a bunch on nonsense....
    So you hide behind a game to justify cheating and dropping your morals, ethics and standards because you are not hurting anyone...wow...talk about being a hypocrite.

Community Member

^^^ What does this have to do with people taking end rewards from a video game? Seriously, some of you guys are just being crazy about this. Aren't we supposed to be role playing? What if I have a rogue? Am I not supposed to assassinate because I shouldn't do it in real life? Holy smokes...some of you guys need to take a serious step back and think about what you are saying. Comparing a minor exploit in a video game to *anything* in real life is bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    Blah blah blah. . . That's just something finally working the way it should. Red-name immunities are prime examples of stupid, lazy design in both quests and foes. Sadly, a lot of players are fans of stupid, lazy design that doesn't require thought beyond auto-attack.
    Don't put words into my mou... I mean keyboard. I am not a fan of red name blanket immunities. I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion from my anecdote about how excited people were about an obvious exploit. It's not like suddenly the game was better. It's not like suddenly all the red names had individual resistances based on their abilities, gear, and defense mechanisms. It's simply that some people get excited about getting stuff for nothing (end rewards in Von1) and breaking rules. (clear exploits in game)

Community Member

^^^ What does this have to do with people taking end rewards from a video game? Seriously, some of you guys are just being crazy about this. Aren't we supposed to be role playing? What if I have a rogue? Am I not supposed to assassinate because I shouldn't do it in real life? Holy smokes...some of you guys need to take a serious step back and think about what you are saying. Comparing a minor exploit in a video game to *anything* in real life is bizarre.
    I find escapism to be bizzarre...the internet is real life, social media, gaming and everything that the last 25 or so years of technoilogy advancement have made these sorts of things more real life than ever... keep fooling yourself if you think that.

You can't walk down the street without seeing people glued to their mobile devices, their facebook updates or their games....it's real life more than you want to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    You do get the ML23 items on Epic. Not closed, not hotfixed. WAI?
    I did not know. I thought it was just the heroic GH stuff. I'm not one of the 500 people lined up in front of Von I zerging for easy loot. Ran the quest once, got my GH end reward and found something else to do. I would definitely say its not z top priority of there's. I mean, you still see the Tor screen when you enter Litany. I wonder if this is why Abbot is broken again ;p

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

Its not cheating. *Someone* said *somewhere* (I'm not supposed to tell where):

"Enjoy the exploit while you can. Already fixed, not deployed."

I think a lot of people enjoyed... thanks!

EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Community Member

I find escapism to be bizzarre...the internet is real life, social media, gaming and everything that the last 25 or so years of technoilogy advancement have made these sorts of things more real life than ever... keep fooling yourself if you think that.

You can't walk down the street without seeing people glued to their mobile devices, their facebook updates or their games....it's real life more than you want to accept.
    I don't disagree with any of this....I simply think that because someone takes an end reward from a quest doesn't automatically translate to them having poor morals in real life. It's that kind of thinking that got us gamers into trouble when everyone was trying to say that first person RPGs translated into a more violent society. Sorry, I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. My online world is completely separate from my real life. Maybe that's not the way you see it

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

I don't disagree with any of this....I simply think that because someone takes an end reward from a quest doesn't automatically translate to them having poor morals in real life. It's that kind of thinking that got us gamers into trouble when everyone was trying to say that first person RPGs translated into a more violent society. Sorry, I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. My online world is completely separate from my real life. Maybe that's not the way you see it
    Exactly.
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    Ure off your rocker. If you have been watching the LFM's you'd see that a majority of the servers picked up on this pretty quickly. I saw at one point last night 3 LFMs at the same time all running von1 "fast normal runs for loot".

No way in hades that this has unknown to DDO all week.
    I owe you a virtual cookie.

Anyway, that's what I am talking about. I saw many evon1 LFMs or unnamed ones and people located in there....
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 08-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Am I not supposed to assassinate because I shouldn't do it in real life?
    If halflings existed in real life, I think it would still be ok.

Are we arguing about morals in a game where we get told "hey go here and kill these people who look different from you and take their stuff!" ?

Seems we already crossed the immoral line a while back.

Also this was hardly the worst exploit I have ever seen........this one is actually pretty tame.
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I'm rather disgusted at the cavalier attitude so many take towards rampant bug exploitation. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given how many DDO players seem to care much more about "getting more stuff" than actually playing the content.

It's cheating, nothing more, nothing less. Even if Turbine knows about it but takes too long to fix it.
    When Turbine stopped caring about the gameplay, the players and the overall quality of the game and put a (shard button) on everything, cheated gold rolls which intentionally do not work and give you an honest roll.

I STOPPED CARING.

Capish?

Quote Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r View Post
    There is no order of magnitude when it comes to lying or cheating, regardless of how isgnificant / insignificant you asses te situation to be. It's black and white, not shades of grey.

Just because one orgasniation is bigger, richer or more complex than another doesn't make the situation right or acceptable. You are simply appeasing your own moral judgement by the fact that it's large organisation with lots of money or too complex to fix the problem themselves in a timely manner. if a small vendor accidently gives a person the wrong change it could affect them dramticaly, if a large vendor makes a mistake and loses millions it can also hurt them...there is no difference. a mistake was made and people either chose to do the right thing, or ignore ithe problem, and take advantage it's as simple as that.

Nobody is perfect, and if I discovered this situation playing the quest by chance I would have left it at that and not replayed it simply because I know it's broken, even if it works out to my advantage, at the end of the day I am only cheating myself.
    Hypothetically typing let's say you ran von1 every day BEFORE the end reward snafu because you are farming for seals/scrolls. Would you therefore stop farming seals/scrolls like you did before after you knew the reward was giving stuff it shouldn't, knowing there is no timeframe to a fix? And so you might answer honestly I'll tell you my choice. I kept running von1 for seals/scrolls. Sure a jeweled cloak for all 20 alts is a nice side effect. Sure immunity to slippery surfaces is nice when fom can be easily taken away for all alts. Who doesn't need elec absorb rings on all alts? And lastly quivers of poison are nice.
    Does this make me a bad immoral person because I chose to keep farming for seals/scrolls like I always do? I choose to believe no, and at the end of the day the only choice that effects me is my own, not what others think.

Community Member

So....we aren't suppose to take our virtual prize in a computer game because to do so would equate to us having a low moral standard?

Really?

You must be one saintly dude if that gets you upset.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DakDeFrosted View Post
    So....we aren't suppose to take our virtual prize in a computer game because to do so would equate to us having a low moral standard?

Really?

You must be one saintly dude if that gets you upset.
    Apparently everyone is Saint Theeresa on this forum.

Community Member

Last edited by Rubbinns; 08-29-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: double post please erase

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DakDeFrosted View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who just ran VON1 for its own sake and got presented with better-than-expected end rewards not to take them.

That's a far cry from people who discover something like that and then spend a solid week running the quest over and over to exploit it.

No, it doesn't mean anyone is a bad person in real life. That doesn't change what it is, though.

I think some of us should take a deep breath and count to 10 before they go off on all the "cheating" stuff.

First, if the game allows it, as it is arbiter of the rules, then it is not cheating.

If YOU modify the game to exploit it - THAT is cheating.

if you are pretty sure that what you find should not be in there, then report it as a bug.

If people choose to exploit something in the game , that the game itself allows, they are doing nothing wrong as it is not against the rules of the game.

But to sit back and rely on ethics, and morals, and such in a computer simulation where none of us has any power over its modification is not that applicable. You log off the game, the stuff you acquired in the game STAYS in the game. You cannot take it with you, or use it outside of the game at any time.

I'm a big Dudly Dooright-er myself. Potential exploits in DDO hurt no one. There are no ranking, there is no circumventing rules, and the gains made as a result of the exploit cannot be used where they count: in real life. You brag because you got some uber magical axe thingie to someone in the real workd, they may smile and nod. It still ain't gonna et you a job that will allow you to live outside that room in your parents' basement...

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    I owe you a virtual cookie.

Anyway, that's what I am talking about. I saw many evon1 LFMs or unnamed ones and people located in there....
    Yaaaaaaahhhh!! Coockies!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast