Thread: Medemagics

Default Medemagics

I have been playing DDO for a few years now off and on I have a legend caster Character and have been a VIP for most of that time I understand allot about this game but the more I know; It seems the less I know.

I have a question that seems basic but its not (simple version) What does Heighten do to a spell ?
    (complex version) What is the mechanics of the Heighten feet, what spells can and can not be affected and why. When the spell is heighted how big does it get for my class and how do you determine how big it gets, and what the spell cost increase will be.
    the thing I do know is that Heighten works but how does it work and I want to be able to plan what spells to heighten in every situation. so some real explanation as to what it does and how it works would be helpful to me.

Short version: Heighten increases most spells DCs, making them more likely to work on enemies.

Longer version: Height increases a spells DC by increasing its spell level.
    With the formula of 10 + Spell Level + Casting Stat Modifier + Items + Feats = DC, an increase of spell level (through heighten) will increase the DC of the spell.
    Eg. You can cast level 9 spells, and use heighten on a level 1 spell. You have no items/feats for DC, and a casting mod of 10.
    So, the spell will go from 10+1+10 (21) to 10+9+10 (28), for an increase of 7 DC. (A level 8 spell gains 1 DC, level 7 gains 2 DC, level 9 gains nothing. (being at max)

It also costs x*5 to use. (x is spell level increase). So, prior example, heighten costs 40 sp more than without heighten. A level 8 spell with heighten will cost 5 more sp than without heighten.

If I've failed to explain it, DDOwiki should be able to explain it for me

Community Member

Heighten increases the spell level of a spell, which increases its DC, making it harder for monsters to save against it...

How much depends on the original level of the spell, and the highest spell level your caster can cast. If you're a L20 character with most of your levels in an Arcane or Divine class, that means you can cast L9 spells....so Heighten will make all your spells cast as though they were L9.

A L1 spell like Web will get +8 to its DC. A L4 spell will get +5 to its DC. A L9 spell wont get any benefit, so don't bother Heightening it.

If you're an Arti (or Bard, I think?) you can only cast L6 spells, and Ranger/Paladin can only cast up to L4, so Heighten is worth less for those classes than for pure casters. Likewise, if you take a deep multiclass splash, and you don't have L9 spells in your spellbook, then Heighten is not as effective anymore.

Smile do I know you Driod

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Heighten increases the spell level of a spell, which increases its DC, making it harder for monsters to save against it...

How much depends on the original level of the spell, and the highest spell level your caster can cast. If you're a L20 character with most of your levels in an Arcane or Divine class, that means you can cast L9 spells....so Heighten will make all your spells cast as though they were L9.

A L1 spell like Web will get +8 to its DC. A L4 spell will get +5 to its DC. A L9 spell wont get any benefit, so don't bother Heightening it.

If you're an Arti (or Bard, I think?) you can only cast L6 spells, and Ranger/Paladin can only cast up to L4, so Heighten is worth less for those classes than for pure casters. Likewise, if you take a deep multiclass splash, and you don't have L9 spells in your spellbook, then Heighten is not as effective anymore.
    Hey Droid I was asking mainly for my Wizard pure build and I know a character with a Similar name Do you play on Orion server.
    Oh you all answered my question very accurately ... thank you.

Default New question on the same topic

Ok so On a wizard for example that happens to keep allot of force and acid spells handy but takes a at least 1 or 2 spell for every element type. would it work to have 2 hot bar buttons set for the same off element spell; one heightened and one not to avoid the pesky toggle on and off for particular mobs. and the same question for the status effect spells and crowd control spells.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_Jay View Post
    Ok so On a wizard for example that happens to keep allot of force and acid spells handy but takes a at least 1 or 2 spell for every element type. would it work to have 2 hot bar buttons set for the same off element spell; one heightened and one not to avoid the pesky toggle on and off for particular mobs. and the same question for the status effect spells and crowd control spells.
    For pure damage spells, the save is only for half damage - so its not as worthwhile for things like Force Missiles, etc. Depending on your Efficient Metamagic choices, Heightening a mid-level damage spell may more than double its cost - so you're better off just casting it twice un-Heightened, even if they save against it both times. Its more of a concern for CC effects, where if they save, the spell does absolutely nothing. If you're Maxing/Empowering a spell, then definitely Heighten it as well, so you don't get your Emp/Max bonus damage cut in half on a save.

I do find it useful, though, to have both a meta'd and unmeta'd version of some spells on my hotbar. For me, its usually self-heals, for in-combat vs. out-of-combat heals. You'll probably have a suite of 4-5 SLAs and spells that make up your usual DPS "rotation", and you'll get a feel for which of those you really need to have dual-options for...certainly not for every spell on your hotbar. SLAs get free metas, don't forget, so those should always have everything active...likewise, other spells you'd only use for when you need a big nuke, so those are likely always-meta too...and most of your CC spells you're going to want to always Heighten, just because they're worthless (more or less) if you don't.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_Jay View Post
    would it work to have 2 hot bar buttons set for the same off element spell; one heightened and one not to avoid the pesky toggle on and off for particular mobs. and the same question for the status effect spells and crowd control spells.
    Yes. You do not need to put your Metamagics in your hotbars to toggle them on or off. Just rightclick on the slotted spell or SLA and the popup will show you, which Metamagic you can apply and you can also define each Meta to be always on or always off or standard (toggled on/off).

Eg. I often use chain lightning. I have Enlarge and Heighten for CC Spells, which I always enlarge and height. But chain lightning I defined to be just enlarged for double range. There are no Metamagics in my hotbars.