Community Member

Default Loot Changes in Update 19

First to preface: I find there is much in this update that I really like and a few things I wish had been done differently or better.

I am concerned by and disappointed with the new loot and end reward lists of the new quests. The power creep issue/non-issue is a different matter and what I have to say about loot quality mostly disregards any kind of creeping. Well, it is starting to creep me out that after filling my inventory with loot, I have 20-30 items that all look the same. Here's my gripes:

1. Affixes that didn't need to be removed/deprecated are no longer generating.

2. Named items in quest rewards lists of new quests are boringly static. Of all things needing to have random effects, it's these same three items in the list every time.

3. Quest reward lists of new quests have few options. 3 random gen items plus 3 static. I really hope this isn't the direction we're going. This is the one thing in the update that truly disappoints me. The lack of selection and variety significantly reduces my pleasure and entertainment. I'm seeing the same items (except the statics) in the reward lists running epic GH quests but there is a variable length list with approximately 5-10 items. I don't cringe when the GH lists start to render.

4. Named items for the most part are undesirable. Previous updates seemed to be filled with items that brought forth emotion, mainly desire, occasionally awestruck. Not much emotion can be found with this new crop. meh.

5. Interesting/rare drops don't seem to be happening in chests found in the new quests. I know not to expect anything from Eberron, such as Imperfect Siberys Dragonshards, but there are a lot of other things that could drop. These flavor items do just that, add flavor.

6. Random gen armor is extra boring. The new named armor even more so. I wouldn't be caught dead in any of it but if I were to go into combat wearing it I would certainly die.

After all these years I still look forward to the Shroud reward list. I know what's gonna be there but I enjoy that little thrill I get as it generates. It's long and there's sometimes something interesting. One of the reasons I play RPG games is for that feeling. I think it might be a very popular reason others play too. It's a source of entertainment and enjoyment.

Please sign or comment if you are in general agreement. I hope the loot hounds will be heard.

*I originally made this post in another thread. I'm afraid that thread may get lost and I think this is important, so I'm showing poor etiquette by reposting in it's own thread.
    Last edited by Xyy; 08-28-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Edited because formatting was lost. Yay new forum

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Accuracy items make non-melee classes hit on a 2, and if the item also has Deadly it becomes too powerful. This is over-powered. Fighter feats that add a plus to hit are useless imo, now because of Accuracy being introduced. Why do fighters need the pre-req feats of plus to hit when a wizard of the same level can hit on a 2 with one of these items? This seemingly harmless ability attached to most new gear is making fighters role in a party less of a priority.

Default I'm clueless.

I don't know how new this stuff is but I found a couple of items that I would have wet my pants to find way back when. Now, I have no basis for what's actually good and not good. A necklace of deadly accuracy with 2 open augment slots? Any good? A vorpal heavy repeater of heart-seeking? Any good? You see? I would have thought those would be good just based on how they sound, but with all the new stuff I know nothing about, this could just be nice sounding vendor trash.
    Thelanis: Rogosh, Dhragkar, Dhrakian, Meridion, Maherellen.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogosh View Post
    I don't know how new this stuff is but I found a couple of items that I would have wet my pants to find way back when. Now, I have no basis for what's actually good and not good. A necklace of deadly accuracy with 2 open augment slots? Any good? A vorpal heavy repeater of heart-seeking? Any good? You see? I would have thought those would be good just based on how they sound, but with all the new stuff I know nothing about, this could just be nice sounding vendor trash.
    Yes, this loot you've found is very good. The two augment slot random gen items are a welcome addition and they are CannCraftable. My comments and concerns are not about the quality of the effects. I love the new effects. What about the old ones? Why is new named loot so lackluster? Goggles in the chest, let me guess: Int/Wis/Deadly/Cha of Seeking/Accuracy/Wizardry.

Is it just me or do others feel like skill suffixes are now rarely generated?
    Last edited by Xyy; 08-29-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Guess I gotta research why my formatting keeps getting lost

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    Accuracy items make non-melee classes hit on a 2, and if the item also has Deadly it becomes too powerful. This is over-powered. Fighter feats that add a plus to hit are useless imo, now because of Accuracy being introduced. Why do fighters need the pre-req feats of plus to hit when a wizard of the same level can hit on a 2 with one of these items? This seemingly harmless ability attached to most new gear is making fighters role in a party less of a priority.
    hmm ok lemme see.. why a wizard want to hit something? unless its a flavor build.. or have no MP left..

If a fighter can hit all the time w/o worry abt they would definitely use the slot to something else..

also the game is not only made of wizards and fighter.. there are intermidiete classes that some times need those to hit.. perhaps not all the time but for some bosses or high AC monsters..

other thing.. if u dont like it .. dont use it..

if is too powerful make sure u vendor it so u will not use and no one else will..

Community Member

So far it does seem like they removed too much from the old tables, possibly all of the old effects and even the new old effects like Lacerating. If the effect wasn't updated it looks like it's gone. That makes it seem more like a bug than WAI, though.

Community Member

Here's hoping someone actually responds to the content of the OP. I don't think anyone responding actually read it. Maybe it's my fault; I often don't express my opinion well.

PS: Sorry Frotz, my comment doesn't apply to you. Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by Xyy; 08-29-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Apologies to Frotz

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frotz View Post
    So far it does seem like they removed too much from the old tables, possibly all of the old effects and even the new old effects like Lacerating. If the effect wasn't updated it looks like it's gone. That makes it seem more like a bug than WAI, though.
    Yeah i noticed that too, all the new lootgen stuff seems to be admittedly good effects, but only ever 2 of them rather than those yummy multi-effect prefixes & suffixes... poor desert sand, i came to love you & now you're gone again already...
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Without addressing the power creep issue, the new loot is incredibly dull and boring. I mean, how much of the weapon table is dedicated to ghostbane now? And I dont' think I've even fought a ghost since the update when live. But I've got my pick of weapons with which to do so.

And armor and shields. . . I remember a time long ago (like a couple of weeks ago) when I could find effects on armor and shields other than riposte (useless BTW because of the way the combat system works now) and retributive.

And that's not even addressing the ever-growing trend of randomizing effects on named loot, a move designed strictly to keep people grinding as opposed to designed for fun and cool factor.

And there was a time long ago (again, a couple of weeks), when vorpal only appeared on slashing weapons, like it's supposed to. Now? Now I can vorpal your head off with handwraps, crossbows, staves, just about any weapon. But curiously, apparently not shields. At least you can put an edge on some shields. . .

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    And there was a time long ago (again, a couple of weeks), when vorpal only appeared on slashing weapons, like it's supposed to. Now? Now I can vorpal your head off with handwraps, crossbows, staves, just about any weapon. But curiously, apparently not shields. At least you can put an edge on some shields. . .
    We had a fun discussion in guild chat last night about exactly how a vorpal maul someone pulled would work.

Community Member

I just wish they'd stop wasting time redoing the whole lootgen system every few months and instead updated cannith crafting, updated ebberon epics, and made more and more interesting named items.

It's like the Iconics, they're fine I guess, but boy would I have rather had more content, or more flushed out enhancements (even if we had to pay for them), or more epic destinies (even if they cost extra).
    Gildus, Sabathiel, Einion, Yhvain

Cannith

Community Member

Clickies look to be gone as well, making it look more like the old tables were entirely junked and not just updated/augmented with the new effects for permanent items.

Well looking at a pre u19 banked lvl 16 +2 Holy Burst Greatsword of Icy Depths plus I have it icy bursted for more iciness...looks obvious random weapons took a hit.

What Affixes that didn't need to be removed/deprecated are no longer generating are you referring too?

The named items being static are what was requested by the player base when the "Random" effect name items were introduced on LAM - while most would agree that randomness like what happens with the Dragon Scale Helmets (+ to stat or + to exceptional stat) is nice in that it does not niche a piece of equipment to a certain build(s) having totally random named loot would be a PITA.

I did notice that the newer quests do have much more limit on what is available and have even received the option of two Guild renown tokens (of which twice it was the same value for both). I agree that if a persons motivation is Loot based then running the newer quests is limited after about 3 runs of each quest. For the other group of people that run quests and loot is only secondary or tertiary to their enjoyment this will be less of an issue.

Looking at each named item from the new series such as the Guardian/Skirmisher/Sage sets on an individual bases will make most of them undesirable. But looking at them as a whole or as a partial set (3 of the items) may give a different perspective. For me the problem is that not all of the pieces had an augment. The Augment on all of these items would make more people stand up and consider the entire set or even a partial set as it would allow them to consolidate slots and gain power. The other issue is the lack of any set bonuses partial/full. Each set that you can get previously in DDO has some minor boost when the set is worn to make it even more desirable to be had

I don't agree on the interesting drops, but I do see a few of the rare drops occurring in the 6 man groups I've been in for the newer content and even picked up one myself. Now part of this may still be caused by loot bonus issues such as loot +'s from DDO and loot gems of which I'm up 10 since the gold roll became free once a week for VIPs. The other aspect is that at higher levels it is harder to make new/interesting loot without basically making it the next END-ALL-BE-ALL item.

I agree on the armor. So far even the named Hero armor from the end reward list has nothing to make me look at it as even an option. We cannot think of a reason why an ability that comes as a clicky, is on the spell list of 3 of the classes, purchable scroll would be desired as an effect at 26+ level. Now maybe at level 11 to 16.

I agree if more raid lists worked like the shroud (especially raids with build your own item) then I think it would attract more people to run them.

Community Member

Okay, looks like Pure Good, True Law/Chaos have also been removed, with Holy, Anarchic, and Axiomatic now functioning as those did before (damage to not-the-same alignments, and a neg level but no restriction on the weilder). Does that leave Ghostbane and the on-criticals as the only damage suffixes now?
    Last edited by Frotz; 08-30-2013 at 10:35 AM.